• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am arriving at SJPP with my suitcase. How do I ship it to Santiago?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
The question was:

I am arriving at SJPP with my suitcase. How do I ship it to Casa Ivar in Santiago?

You have a few options:
  • Ship it from the post office in SJPP (see here for opening hours). The suitcase needs to be locked and I would recommend to also wrap it in kitchen wrap (plastic). I would also recommend to print out my address and place this label under the plastic, so that if the label the post office ads to the suitcase (on the outside of the plastic) falls off, you still have an address label under the plastic as backup. One or twice a year we have problems located luggage from France where the post office address label has fallen off, and the destination address is not visible anywhere.. the french post office works fine, but if there is a problem, and we need to contact their customer service it gets complicated. Let's say that there is none, unless you are in france and can stop by a post office.
  • Use www.SendMyBag.com . With them you schedule the pickup at a hotel/pension and they will come and pick it up and ship it to Santiago. A bit more pricy I think, but everything is in english + there is a tracking number.
  • http://www.expressbourricot.com/ offers a luggage shipping service that might be an alternative.
  • You can find another shipping company recommended by locals in SJPP... as I have mentioned before, for me it is the same how you send it. I will store what I receive.
Please do not send anything from outside the EU since it will get stuck in customs!

Hope this helps!
Ivar

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hope this helps!
Hope this helps too.

Ivar, I suggest adding the following to your post and then deleting this one.

Not all countries in Europe are members of the EU. If you are not sure check before sending anything.

Also add more information inside the luggage in case all the outside addresses get lost or become unreadable. Besides indicating that the luggage was intended to be shipped to Casa Ivar (with address and phone information) add your own contact information such as your mobile phone number and email address.

In addition to all the good suggestions here, you can use Express Bourricot to ship a suitcase from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Sanitago. It is not cheap, but it is highly reliable, safe, and IMHO convenient. See their website, at: http://www.expressbourricot.com/

The proprietor, Caroline, speaks English very well. They will pick up from your lodgings at Saint Jean Pied de Port the day you leave. When you arrive at Santiago a month or so later, your bag is stored in a locked room at a hostal there.

Easy peasy!

I have used this service twice and can attest to the easer of use.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In addition to all the good suggestions here, you can use Express Bourricot to ship a suitcase from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Sanitago. It is not cheap, but it is highly reliable, safe, and IMHO convenient. See their website, at: http://www.expressbourricot.com/

The proprietor, Caroline, speaks English very well. They will pick up from your lodgings at Saint Jean Pied de Port the day you leave. When you arrive at Santiago a month or so later, your bag is stored in a locked room at a hostal there.

Easy peasy!

I have used this service twice and can attest to the easer of use.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. That does sound nice and easy!
Do you have to prepare your suitcase in any special way? And do you know if there is a size limit?
I had been planning on shipping it with Correos either from Madrid before I take the train to Pamplona, or from Pamplona before I take the bus to St Jean. But simply dropping it off with Express Bourricot sounds much easier.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Depending on size/weight it can be quite expensive from SJPdP. Because it crosses an international border?
I met a pilgrim who had forwarded his suitcase from St Jean, via Jacotrans, to the accommodation he had pre-booked in Pamplona.
When he arrived in Pamps he sent it from the Post Office.
Regards
Gerard

Depending on size/weight it can be quite expensive from SJPdP. Because it crosses an international border?
I met a pilgrim who had forwarded his suitcase from St Jean, via Jacotrans, to the accommodation he had pre-booked in Pamplona.
When he arrived in Pamps he sent it from the Post Office.
Regards
Gerard
According to the Express Bourricot site, it costs 70€ to send a suitcase, up to 7̶0̶kg (oops! that should be 20kg) from SJPDP to Santiago, where they will store it until you arrive weeks later. It is spendy, but there is no additional storage charge in Santiago. I'm thinking that for the convenience it could be worth the money.

Last edited:
I DID say it was not cheap. However it is convenient.

You just need to lock the bag and make sure it has a luggage tag on it. Express Bourricot works with your hotel desk person to collect payment, arrange a pickup time, etc.

IMHO, this is the easiest way to send stuff ahead to Santiago from SJPdP. You pay for that convenience and peace of mind.

Only Express Bourricot personnel handle your bag. The post and parcel services are never involved.

I hope this helps.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
According to the Express Bourricot site, it costs 70€ to send a suitcase, up to 70kg from SJPDP to Santiago, where they will store it until you arrive weeks later. It is spendy, but there is no additional storage charge in Santiago. I'm thinking that for the convenience it could be worth the money.

I believe it's 70€ for up to 20kg, not 70kg. :)

What about if I want to send my suitcase from Leon to Santiago? I understand Express Bourricot only moves luggage from SJDP to Santiago. So can anyone tell me the best way if I am starting from Leon? Should I just use Correos? How long with the PO hold it? I am probably taking about 18 days to walk to Santiago?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The question was:

I am arriving at SJPP with my suitcase. How do I ship it to Casa Ivar in Santiago?

You have a few options:
  • Ship it from the post office in SJPP (see here for opening hours). The suitcase needs to be locked and I would recommend to also wrap it in kitchen wrap (plastic). I would also recommend to print out my address and place this label under the plastic, so that if the label the post office ads to the suitcase (on the outside of the plastic) falls off, you still have an address label under the plastic as backup. One or twice a year we have problems located luggage from France where the post office address label has fallen off, and the destination address is not visible anywhere.. the french post office works fine, but if there is a problem, and we need to contact their customer service it gets complicated. Let's say that there is none, unless you are in france and can stop by a post office.
  • Use www.SendMyBag.com . With them you schedule the pickup at a hotel/pension and they will come and pick it up and ship it to Santiago. A bit more pricy I think, but everything is in english + there is a tracking number.
  • http://www.expressbourricot.com/ offers a luggage shipping service that might be an alternative.
  • You can find another shipping company recommended by locals in SJPP... as I have mentioned before, for me it is the same how you send it. I will store what I receive.
Please do not send anything from outside the EU since it will get stuck in customs!

Hope this helps!
Ivar
Thanx Ivar, this is a great help and we have plenty of options, so we'll probably send the bag from Paris straight to in Santiago, bit I need an address and postcode/Zip code, and do I pay for storage when we finally get there?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanx Ivar, this is a great help and we have plenty of options, so we'll probably send the bag from Paris straight to in Santiago, bit I need an address and postcode/Zip code, and do I pay for storage when we finally get there?
Hi there,

The address to send it to is:

Ivar Rekve
ATT: [Your name goes here]
Travesía da Universidade 1
15704 Santiago de Compostela
La Coruña
Spain

...the zip code would be 15704.

More here:
http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/sending-instructions.html

..and yes, you pay the storage fee once you pick it up. During the summer season you can pay with a card or cash. Winter season (off season) cash only.

Buen camino!
Ivar

I'm not sure why you're taking a suitcase, but I've found it less expensive simply to purchase a suitcase in Santiago where they have a fantastic luggage shop.

The question was:

You have a few options:

Hope this helps!
Ivar
Can I get my suitcase shipped to Santiago from Paris?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can I get my suitcase shipped to Santiago from Paris?
Yes, you can use the post office there.. the same way as in SJPP. Be aware that other post offices (than SJPP) might not be used to people shipping things like suitcases by mail. They will most likely ask you to wrap it somehow (it depends on the clerk that you get).

The question was:

You have a few options:

Hope this helps!
Ivar

Hi, what can one do when arriving on Sunday evening and want to start walking Monday morning. How can I ship my luggage to Santiago easiest on a Sunday evening?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is very helpful information as i was just thinking this. I wil. Most likely have a duffel bag with a few items that daughtr and i have used prior to our camino in oairs and will need or want wgain in santiago. Seems like i can ship from st jean to ivan or use one of theo ther services

This is very helpful information as i was just thinking this. I wil. Most likely have a duffel bag with a few items that daughtr and i have used prior to our camino in oairs and will need or want wgain in santiago. Seems like i can ship from st jean to ivan or use one of theo ther services

Express buorricot worked so well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If i choose to go the ship to Ivar route via postal service from st jean. Is it a good assumption i could find a box. I will have a lightweight duffle and this alone would not be good to go throu postal system, i think

Also is the pick up location. Easy to find, ie near the cathedral or otheriwse not far from the camino( not sure why that would be important after having just walked 500 miles...)

€149,-
If i choose to go the ship to Ivar route via postal service from st jean. Is it a good assumption i could find a box. I will have a lightweight duffle and this alone would not be good to go throu postal system, i think
The boxes that they sell at the post office are not the largest. About 40x30x20 cm. I know some people get boxes from the supermarket close by.

My pickup location is in old town Santiago, about 300 meters from the cathedral. I also offer drop off if you are staying at a pension/hotel in old town.

May I assure you that Ivar does a fine job looking after forwarded items.
I just collected mine and there were no problems.
You´ll just need a tourist map of Santiago and to follow the instructions he will send you.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
I've seen the 70€ fee for shipping up to 20kg from SJPP, but what is the cost of shipping just a few items to Ivar in Santiago from SJPP (travel clothes for before and after camino, essentially)?

Does it pay to lug the "extra" stuff to Burguete?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Does it pay to lug the "extra" stuff to Burguete?
I've heard that 'the deal' is to use luggage forwarders to deliver excess luggage from St Jean to pre-arranged accommodation in Pamplona - to someone who has agreed to keep it safe til you arrive.
You then post it to Ivar.
Much cheaper apparently but I have no firsthand knowledge of pricing.
Regards
Gerard

Is it possible to mail luggage from Lisbon to Santiago?

Yes, it is, but I do not recommend it. All the EU post office systems operate as though the EU never existed. All shipments from Portugal to Santiago are international shipments. You pay the international prices and it takes additional time.

Last year (2017) when I walked from Lisbon, I had at least one box go 'walkabout' on me in the Portuguese postal system. Missing for more than a week, it eventually showed up at Santiago, after I departed for home. Ivar held it until I returned that July. The CTT (Portugal Post Office) actually have a very good online tracking system that showed the wayward journey of my parcel all over Portugal. It was amusing...yet not.

If you must send a suitcase, consider using DHL, UPS, or FedEx, etc. It will be much more expensive, but at least they operate in a more pan-European fashion.

Sending smaller parcels is relatively less sketchy, but consider my experience...:eek:

Hope this helps.

The question was:

You have a few options:

Hope this helps!
Ivar
Thank you Ivar! I just went on the SendMyBag link and could not get information on shipping from Barcelona.
We are thinking of flying SFO to BCN in Sept, maybe spending a day there, shipping our things to you and then taking a train to Lourdes for a couple of days and then going on to SJPDP. Does this seem reasonable??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Ivar! I just went on the SendMyBag link and could not get information on shipping from Barcelona.
We are thinking of flying SFO to BCN in Sept, maybe spending a day there, shipping our things to you and then taking a train to Lourdes for a couple of days and then going on to SJPDP. Does this seem reasonable??
It's easy enough to send it through the Post Office within Spain

SendMyBag does not offer their service in every city (strange that they do not offer it in a large city like Barcelona though), but as stated above, the post office works well in Spain so that it a good option.

We found the local mail service to be cheaper, we sent 3 weighty items to Ivar (suitcase and boxes ; clothes for the way home afterwards)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Any idea on shipping costs per kg from the first Correo in Spain on the CF to Ivar's? 70 Euros is a tad steep for what I'll be sending on (only another 2-5 kg, so I might just carry it from SJPdP).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Trecile and Ivar

The question was:

You have a few options:

Hope this helps!
Ivar
Hello Ivar,
Please send me your address and contact. I’m planning to send you one luggage on 8th or 9th Nov from SJPP and pick it up after arriving Santiago. Thanks

Hello Ivar,
Please send me your address and contact. I’m planning to send you one luggage on 8th or 9th Nov from SJPP and pick it up after arriving Santiago. Thanks
My address is:
Ivar Rekve
La Coruña
Spain

You can find the sending instructions here:

Most people use the post office to send things to me, but you can also look into these two:
(Phone number, if needed, is: +34 981 04 21 34)

…and more questions answered here:

My winter hours (starting November 1st) for pickup are:
- Weekdays: 11am to 1pm
- Weekends by appointment only. (I may not be in Santiago and may need to drop things off Friday afternoon, so you need to get in touch with plenty of time if you are planning a weekend pickup in winter).

You can find me here:

...or search for "Casa Ivar" in google maps.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

My address is:
Ivar Rekve
La Coruña
Spain

Most people use the post office to send things to me, but you can also look into these two:

My winter hours (starting November 1st) for pickup are:
- Weekdays: 11am to 1pm
- Weekends by appointment only. (I may not be in Santiago and may need to drop things off Friday afternoon, so you need to get in touch with plenty of time if you are planning a weekend pickup in winter).

You can find me here:

...or search for "Casa Ivar" in google maps.

Buen Camino!
Ivar
Hi Ivar, I just sent my language to you today from SJPP.

The tracking no. Is CC 8734 9988 4FR.
I will be Santiago after 35-40 days.
Attention:Chihan Chou

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ivar, I just sent my language to you today from SJPP.

The tracking no. Is CC 8734 9988 4FR.
I will be Santiago after 35-40 days.
Attention:Chihan Chou
Very good. Just so you know, my opening hours for pickup is 11.00 to 13.00 on weekdays in winter.

Buen camino!
Ivar

@ivar

I had questions about using your storage service. I'll ship a heavy suitcase from Madrid, probably Monday, April 6, 2020 ( the day after Palm Sunday ). To be picked up late May. It will probably weigh 20 - 25 kilos and it's size is about 30cm tall and 65cm x 45cm. I just wanted to make sure that Correos is the best way and make sure there are no holidays or any issues with the size/weight? And If there is an issue, what alternative shipper should I use? Also I did not see anyway to actually pay you on your website? Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@ivar

I had questions about using your storage service. I'll ship a heavy suitcase from Madrid, probably Monday, April 6, 2020 ( the day after Palm Sunday ). To be picked up late May. It will probably weigh 20 - 25 kilos and it's size is about 30cm tall and 65cm x 45cm. I just wanted to make sure that Correos is the best way and make sure there are no holidays or any issues with the size/weight? And If there is an issue, what alternative shipper should I use? Also I did not see anyway to actually pay you on your website? Thank you.
Check out the Correos website. They have instructions for sending suitcases up to 25 kilos

Last edited:
I spent some time with the Correos website. Before I posted this question. I couldn't find any specific information about size or weight limits. And I wanted to make sure the Monday after Palm Sunday is not a Post Office holiday. Do you have a link?

I spent some time with the Correos website. Before I posted this question. I couldn't find any specific information about size or weight limits. And I wanted to make sure the Monday after Palm Sunday is not a Post Office holiday. Do you have a link?
Size and weight limits are on this page:

I don't know about Correos hours/dates though. Where will you be mailing your bag from?

And I apologize for putting the wrong link in my previous post!😳
I've fixed it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If the post office is Open (check the holiday calendar for Madrid if sending from Madrid).

Other than that.. I would recommend wrapping it in plastic (kitchen wrap from the supermarket works well..

My address is:
Ivar Rekve
La Coruña
Spain

Hope this helps!
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The question was:

You have a few options:

Hope this helps!
Ivar
We are hoping to ship our bag from Lisbon, however, I’ve noted below that the Portuguese postal service is not reliable and though both Portugal and Spain are in the EU, they consider it an international border. The above link SendMyBag.com does not show a correspondence of luggage between Spain and Portugal. Is there another option to get the bag to Ivar/Michael in Santiago?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Within the thread I noted above it appears that if you get your case to O Porto Tuitrans can then take it direct to Santiago. You might explain you plight to Tuitrans and ask their advice.

Last edited:
We are hoping to ship our bag from Lisbon, however, I’ve noted below that the Portuguese postal service is not reliable and though both Portugal and Spain are in the EU, they consider it an international border. The above link SendMyBag.com does not show a correspondence of luggage between Spain and Portugal. Is there another option to get the bag to Ivar/Michael in Santiago?
I have found posts from several members that had no problem mailing via CTT - the Portuguese post office to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it possible to mail luggage from Lisbon to Santiago?
Yes - the Post Office (CTT Correios de Portugal) offers a great service.

Bought the box from their shop in Lisbon, packed and addressed it whilst in the Post Office. The Post Office staff sealed it and sent it, and emailed me to advise that it had left Lisbon. It was waiting for me in Santiago some four weeks later. Cost - around 5 euro for the box and 17 euro for the postage.

Cannot ask for more than that

I have heard from pilgrims that has had problems. From the ones I have been in touch with the problem is that once the parcel reaches Spain, it does not travel with the spanish post office… and therefore it can not be store at the post office in santiago. But it seems that sometimes it goes well and sometimes not.. not sure why.

This same problem also applies from France.

The problem is that once the parcel reaches Spain, it does not travel with the spanish post office… and therefore it can not be store at the post office in santiago.

This same problem also applies from France.
Those who said that they successfully mailed from Portugal to Spain sent their packages to Casa Ivar.

€149,-
Thank you all so much! We look forward to being back in Spain via Portugal! Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.