• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am looking for a person to walk the El Camino de Santiago.

nancy300

For safety precautions- only a female

I am 44 years old and walking the entire 500 mile el camino Frances. I am a teacher and I plan to leave SPJJ (St. Jean) around the 4th of July 2012. If you are seeking a walking partner and you live in the southern california area. Leave a response and we can meet and see if we want to walk together. Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Nancy

Buen Camino when you start your pilgrimage. Good luck in finding friends in advance. However the reality is before you have crossed the Route Napoleon from St Jean Pied de Port you will have encountered many potential friends.

John

Like John said, you'll very likely meet many people on the road as long as you are open to it and you'll find someone to walk with organically. IMO, the miniscule safety concern is far outweighed by the likelihood of making advance plans to walk with a stranger and ending up hating them but being stuck with them because you made the commitment. Thousands of women walk the camino alone every year with no issues and probably most of them find someone to walk with naturally vs. trying to arrange it in advance. I, a 38 year old female, can't wait to walk my solo camino and you couldn't pay me to commit to walking with some random stranger without having a chance to get to know them first. :) However, if you're committed to finding a walking partner in advance, I wish you all the luck.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the forum. As others have said the Camino is safe. I have walked on my own and have always felt safe.

I have also walked with a companion, a very dear person and great fun and a lovely companion, but our strengths were so different. It is hard to walk quicker than you are comfortable with and it is also hard to walk slower than you are comfortable with. You will meet many others along the way.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

nancy300 said:
For safety precautions- only a female

I am 44 years old and walking the entire 500 mile el camino Frances. I am a teacher and I plan to leave SPJJ (St. Jean) around the 4th of July 2012. If you are seeking a walking partner and you live in the southern california area. Leave a response and we can meet and see if we want to walk together. Buen Camino!
Hi Nancy, I was 54 the first time I walked the Camino. It was rather daunting to set out by myself but that feeling disappeared within a couple of hours as I met and chatted with other pilgrims. Some I walked with for an hour or two, some for a day or two and for quite a bit of the time I chose to walk alone.

At no stage did I feel afraid. In fact, it was the opposite. I felt part of a wonderful, nurturing community. One of the interesting things I found was relating to people as pilgrims rather than as men and women. It was truly liberating to put gender aside.

It was also liberating to put aside any age bias. My walking companions ranged in age from 19 to 60+

Don't feel you have to find someone to walk with. There are some wonderful people waiting to meet you.

Hi Nancy,
I'm walking solo this summer, too--I'll keep an eye out for you! I know my family would rest a little easier about my walk if they knew I had some company. :roll: I'll have to pick up the pace a little bit for our paths to cross--I leave SJPP on July 6--but I'll hope to meet you at some point this summer.
Very best,
Rebecca

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rebecca,

Do you live in California? or you already in Europe? If you live in Ca, let's meet and see if we want to walk together. My family would rest easier too, if I had a walking partner.
Let me know,

Have a great trip regardless and Buen Camino

Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate all the good energy sent my way. I still would feel more comfortable with a walking partner however because there is a "crime watch" category on this forum that lists many assaults on lone female pilgrims. Yes it's true that more crime happens in Los Angeles, California (LA) where I live, however I don't walk down the street alone in certain areas because I know better being familiar with LA. As a traveler in a foreign country, I am not familiar with the high crime areas. I went to Spain in 2000 alone and had a fabulous time, but I was not walking alone in a field for miles.

Thanks again everyone,

Keep sending the suggestions- they are very helpful

Nancy

nancy300 said:
Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate all the good energy sent my way. I still would feel more comfortable with a walking partner however because there is a "crime watch" category on this forum that lists many assaults on lone female pilgrims. Yes it's true that more crime happens in Los Angeles, California (LA) where I live, however I don't walk down the street alone in certain areas because I know better being familiar with LA. As a traveler in a foreign country, I am not familiar with the high crime areas. I went to Spain in 2000 alone and had a fabulous time, but I was not walking alone in a field for miles.

Thanks again everyone,

Nancy

Even being familiar/unfamiliar with the good/bad areas of each respective place you're still much more likely to be the victim of violent crime in LA than on the Camino. But, do what makes you comfortable just realize you might be missing an important part of the walk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
vagabondette said:
nancy300 said:

Thanks again everyone,

Nancy

Even being familiar/unfamiliar with the good/bad areas of each respective place you're still much more likely to be the victim of violent crime in LA than on the Camino. But, do what makes you comfortable just realize you might be missing an important part of the walk.

That's good to know that you really feel that the Camino Frances is a relatively safe place and certainly safe enough for a woman to walk alone.

JohnnieWalker said:
Nancy

Buen Camino when you start your pilgrimage. Good luck in finding friends in advance. However the reality is before you have crossed the Route Napoleon from St Jean Pied de Port you will have encountered many potential friends.

John

That's good to know John,

nancy300 said:
Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate all the good energy sent my way. I still would feel more comfortable with a walking partner however because there is a "crime watch" category on this forum that lists many assaults on lone female pilgrims.

Nancy, I think if you check the dates on those "many assaults on lone female pilgrims" you will find that they are from years ago...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nancy, I just returned from Sarria to Santiago, about 115kms from Santiago and to Finisterre by bus, so I cannot comment on what comes before. I am woman, a slow walker and had no expectations, chose to walk alone and was not disappointed. Along the way I met interesting and caring people, one a young man who treated my blister while I rested at a creek, another from Brazil who insisted on walking for hours with me in heat that made us feel like toast. Others I met more often and formed some truly wonderful short term relationships. A lot will depend on you.

Of course you must do what you are comfortable with, but having travelled through and in the US (California included) there is definitely more for your family to worry about than on the Camino. It's true there have been some thefts but that happens anywhere and sometimes it's the failure of the person travelling who might have used more caution/discretion with the money they carry or the documents they need. This forum will give you advice.

While there are stretches where one walks alone I never once thought of my safety but was more cautious in airports, in crowded places --- the same anywhere the world over. I carried a phone for safety that I used twice in two weeks for a taxi. I am 80.

Hi Nancy,
I'm not in California--I'm on the East Coast. I just checked my schedule again, and I'm not leaving SJPP until July 7 and I'm staying that first night in Orisson. I'm not sure how far ahead of me you'll be at that point, but if I meet a Nancy from California--and you meet a Rebecca from Rhode Island--we'll know we've run into each other. I'm excited to make new friends along the way, but it's also important to me to have a lot of solo time on this trek, too. Let's keep an eye out for one another and hope we get to meet. From everything I've read, I think we'll be just fine!
Best,
Rebecca

I have walked repeatedly with my brother. We have different walking speed and distance capabilities, so we are "together" only about half the time. I do just as well with strangers! Taking a ball and chain may not be a good idea unless you have arranged in advance how much togetherness you will really want. I know that it can be intimidating to set out completely alone, but I have always found walking companions from the first hour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dave here from Dublin Ireland, I am 37 and setting out on my first Camino. All other backpacking was Asia , so excited to do something a little closer to home. I will leave St Jean , on July 5th about 7 a.m, so to the girl above if you want to tag along for a few hours until you realise you will never be alone feel free to join me.

P.S I will be in Biarittz airport at aprox 3.30 pm , July 4th so if anyone wants to maybe get a taxi im sure between 4 people its the same price as bus/train ?

zisdead1@yahoo.com

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back