• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am off, then . . .

jimb01930

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Pamplona (Sept - Oct 2012)
Caminho Portugal from Lisbon (Aug-Sept 2013)
European Peace Walk - Vienna, AU to Trieste, IT (2014)
Via Fracigena - Sienna to Rome (2015)
Tonight we fly to Lisbon to begin our Camino through Portugal to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Pat and I are both packed and ready to go. My pack weighs 18 pounds not counting water. When I add a couple of liters of water it will be almost exactly 10% of my body weight which is the goal. Pat did not weigh hers.

The walk from Lisbon to Porto, Portugal is a little over half way and mostly flat. The weather is a bit of a concern as the temperatures will be climbing from the mid 80s into the 90s over the first week. We have some long days ahead of us that first week. We are leaving the exact route undecided and will make up our minds dependent upon our condition but there is no getting around that there will be several 18+ mile days. To put this in perspective, when we walked Camino Frances we averaged 14 miles a day and only had three days over 18.

A lot of folks simply walk Camino and deal with the spiritual side of things as it arises. I guess I am not that advanced on my spiritual path. I set an intention before undertaking Camino. Last year I went forward with the idea of doing it as a walk of atonement. The experiences I had were truly beyond my ability to express them. Atonement is a very traditional reason for walking Camino.

This year I hope to undertake a walk for peace. I have no delusions about world peace here. I firmly believe in what Mahatma Gandhi said, “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” I am hoping to become more accepting, less judgmental, and less confrontational in my dealing with others. This is something I can practice along the way.

Along the way I intend to experience whatever comes up good or evil until it passes. I will strive not to engage in habitual patterns of reaction but rather to accept whatever happens with equanimity. These words are easy to type sitting here at home. Wait til we are actually out there LOL .

I will be blogging at http://www.squamzen.com/ I will try to post a little something and photos every two or three days. We will have times where there will be no wifi. If you make a comment, and I hope you do, the first comment you make will not show up until I approve it. After that your comments will post immediately.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be starting my camino on the 30th from Porto. Not sure if we'd cross path along the camino.

Buen camino...

Hope you and Pat have a wonderful Camino. I met you in Granon and Santiago last year. I walked from Lisbon to Santiago April/May this year and really enjoyed it.
It was hard but what I remember was the wonderful people and the scenery. Bom Caminho
Maura

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jim and Pat, best wishes for your Camino Portugese, may it bring all you wish. Having walked from Tui ,arriving in Santiago de Compostela on July 24 (having no advance plans, reservations, cares or concerns!) in 2004, a Holy Year, and repeating that again in June this year, I am green with envy !
I look forward to your postings.

I will enjoy reading your blog. You have set an impressive personal goal for yourself and hope that you way on the Camino Portugues is conducive to its fulfillment.

On the more prosaic side of things, I hope the weather doesn't make things too miserable and that you find the right stages as you move out of Lisbon. Bom caminho, can't wait to hear back from you and Pat either on your blog or right here on the forum. Laurie

I am going to read your blog and hope you will have the same pleasure to walk from Lisbon to Santiago as we did in may and june this year
Bom Caminho

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Seeing you all departing, makes my desire to go back to the trail again even bigger than expected!

Have a great Caminho, if you need something where you find yourselves around Vila Franca de Xira, mail me to diogomartins555@hotmail.com.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back