• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I keep talking myself out of it....

BradleyS

Time of past OR future Camino
maybe, someday.
I guess I've wanted to walk the Camino for at least ten years now. Every year, there's been some reason, some excuse...work, the kids, wife has other plans, not enough time off, not enough money, a pandemic, etc...

I'm retired (and single) now and although my income is much smaller than it was, I'm still healthy, strong and able.

...but I'm still talking myself out of it. It's a daily thing now. I wake up convinced that I'm gonna do it, this is the year! just go for it! and by bedtime, I've talked myself out of it again (sometimes it's the other way around).

The thing is, I'm not a religious person. I'm not searching or trying to find anything. I am really very happy as I am...so motivation seems lacking? Well, that and I guess I am kinda worried that I'll spend a bunch of money and somebody or something will ruin the experience for me.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
All that I can say is DO IT!
You don't need a be a religious person to get a lot out of the experience. I just finished my 7th Camino and I still can't tell you exactly why I do it, other than I just love having a new destination to walk to every day, and new people to meet along the way.

Well, that and I guess I am kinda worried that I'll spend a bunch of money and somebody or something will ruin the experience for me.
Is this something that you have experienced on other trips or endeavours? The most important thing to not pack are expectations, both positive and negative.

Just do it! You’ll always regret not giving it a go. Nobody can ruin it for you. It’s easy to avoid people you don’t like. You can stay an extra night in a town to let them get ahead of you or walk longer days and get ahead of them. You’ll meet lots of people of different ages and nationalities all with their own reasons for walking. If you’re thinking about it every day then you need to give it a go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Bradley. I waited almost 30 years do have the independence and money I needed to do a camino. But in the end it costed way less than I budgeted for. And the camino was very different from what I planned - different stops, companion needing medical attention, unexpected beauty all around.

The camino usually takes some days to complete, or weeks, depending how much you decide to walk. I don't think someone or something would be able to ruin ALL of it. You may have an annoying day here or there, but there are so many cool things to see, do and explore that it would probably make up for it.

As stated above, dropping expectations, good and bad, is a good way to start. No one knows how it will be for you. Secondly, maybe you would feel more comfortable planning a shorter camino? Maybe starting in Leon or Astorga, so it is less time and less money you commit to this endeavour, but still a sizeable camino route?

And third... if you get there and dislike the camino, you are in Spain! Take a train and go do some touristic visits in Madrid, Toledo, Sevilla. You have total freedom to change your plans.

I do hope you give the a camino a go, though. It's quite an adventure. It's beautiful. The food is awesome. Makes annoying things feel really small.

All the best and buen camino!

Welcome here, Bradley.
Lots of people walk the Camino without anything to work out or seek. Regardless, we all come away having learned something.

The end of your post is the nub of it.
I guess I am kinda worried that I'll spend a bunch of money and somebody or something will ruin the experience for me.
And?
Then what? 😉

We decide how to respond to what gets thrown at us; 'problems' are never outside. If the Camino teaches anything, it shows how small things (like the snoring in the room last night), can poison our whole day, or just another experience to roll with.

I didn’t really have any motivation either when I walked either of my Camino. Basically I was unemployed and had nothing else to do so I say go for it. You’re never going to regret doing the Camino but you will regret not doing the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess I've wanted to walk the Camino for at least ten years now. Every year, there's been some reason, some excuse...work, the kids, wife has other plans, not enough time off, not enough money, a pandemic, etc...

I'm retired (and single) now and although my income is much smaller than it was, I'm still healthy, strong and able.

...but I'm still talking myself out of it. It's a daily thing now. I wake up convinced that I'm gonna do it, this is the year! just go for it! and by bedtime, I've talked myself out of it again (sometimes it's the other way around).

The thing is, I'm not a religious person. I'm not searching or trying to find anything. I am really very happy as I am...so motivation seems lacking? Well, that and I guess I am kinda worried that I'll spend a bunch of money and somebody or something will ruin the experience for me.
So, not religious and not in a sense of search. Why do you want to walk a Camino?
Some like the idea of an inexpensive walking holiday in Europe. Some want to test themselves with a long walk that doesn’t involve camping and bears. Some are attracted by the stories of camaraderie, wine, food and adventure. Some are simply drawn by the profound history, the architecture or the landscape. If you can find a motivation in any of those then you’ll have a great Camino. If not, well then you really need to walk a Camino.

So, I’ll wish you buen Camino and I’ll look forward to your future posts

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
... if you get there and dislike the camino, you are in Spain! Take a train and go do some touristic visits in Madrid, Toledo, Sevilla. You have total freedom to change your plans.

All the best and buen camino!

Ah, this is an excellent idea! Always good to allow one's self the opportunity to fully enjoy the moment. Thanks.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn’t really have any motivation either when I walked either of my Camino. Basically I was unemployed and had nothing else to do so I say go for it. You’re never going to regret doing the Camino but you will regret not doing the Camino.

That is the essential purpose of money. It is a bit like time, the only difference really is that time runs out more quickly.

I think about this too...regret.
Five, ten years from now, will I regret not walking the camino? Very Likely.
Will I regret having spent +/- $5000 ? Probably not.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am yet to walk my Camino but am counting the days at less than 50.
Some years ago I went to Patagonia for two treks and a much anticipated journey to Antarctica. On Day One I broke my ankle on a steep descent down Mt Fitzroy. After the initial shock, pain, medical care etc, we decided to continue our trip. That broken ankle was life changing for me. It set my resolve to heal, and keep aiming for more treks and now Camino. It was not the trip we planned but the one that we experienced was grand in so many unexpected ways.
What I’m trying to say is that bad stuff happens and it is how we respond and go forward that makes us who we are.
I also now have a really good story to bore people with.

I am looking forward to reading your “Live from the camino” posts.

Faith and fear cannot inhabit the same place.

Walk through the fear.

Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Bradley!
If you don't go you will never know;not knowing will plague you forever!

I had everything booked for my Portuguese Coastal months in advance and i went during the pandemic!
Family and friends said don't go !
Several times i was tempted to pull out,my head full of doubts mainly created by me:)
What happened ;i had an amazing time no regrets.
Bradley just go!

It really is just a long walk broken into manageable shorter walks;you can do it!!!!
If there is a problem you will sort it .

On my Camino in September i will get another Camino tattoo.
On it i want the words

Die with memories not dreams. (in my head that sums it up)

At almost 70 my kids think i am a numpty but i don't care.
I wish you all the best whatever you decide.
Buen Camino
Woody

I realised I was procrastinating about my Camino earlier this year so I sat at the computer one day and booked my flight. I figured once I did that, I’d have to go.
Since then, all I have done is book a couple of night’s accommodation for before I start walking. I fly to Porto next month. My friends and family think I’m amazing but I think I’m nuts! I have never done anything like this. I’m very nervous but also excited, I’m sure it will be an amazing experience.
Just go for it!

Yesterday I had an earworm that I think I should pass on to you.

Last edited:

You don't have to have something missing or lacking in your life to appreciate a Camino. You say motivation seems to be lacking, but you open with "I've wanted to walk the Camino for at least ten years now". Maybe you should think for a bit about why you've wanted to walk the Camino, and why the desire hasn't faded and gone away.

I wouldn't worry too much about wasting a bunch of money. The Camino doesn't have to be terribly expensive. The experience is very resilient. Many people seem to have the time of their life despite suffering in all sorts of ways on the Camino. If you walk a common route like the Frances or Portugues the well developed infrastructure will give you lots of flexibility to avoid people or things that seem to be threatening to ruin the experience.

One thing you learn on the Camino is that if you keep putting one foot in front of the other, eventually you will get there. But you've got to take the steps.

I think about this too...regret.
Five, ten years from now, will I regret not walking the camino? Very Likely.
Will I regret having spent +/- $5000 ? Probably not.
LAX to Barcelona, $1,000 ( or much cheaper on cut rate charter) on Iberia. $50 a day is more than sufficient if you stay in albergues, comes to $2,700 for flights and 34 days on the Frances. Add $300 for trains or buses to start point and a few extras. $3,000 covers it all!. Best money you will ever spend. Also best month you might ever have

I am kinda worried that I'll spend a bunch of money

A camino costs as much or as little as you want. You can walk from 20 euros a day to whatever you want.

For me I tend to walk at the 20 euros a day level and live frugally, mainly because that's all I can afford and I have some health issues that dictate that approach. Others have bigger budgets and less issues.

Your camino, your rules, your budget. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Only if you let them diminish you or the experience; if someone is being negative ignore!
Bradley it's an adventure and that's all i wanted; but i got loads more than i expected!
I met,walked and ate with people who made my day better with their conversation and generosity.

Start with a positive mind and stay that way!
If your walking in the rain all day just keep telling yourself; isn't this lovely 🤣
Woody

Last edited:
At almost 70 my kids think i am a numpty but i don't care.
I wish you all the best whatever you decide.

My son decided that at 70 years old (I’m 67) that I’ll be too old to drive my manual Honda Accord and that I should change cars 😜. My family thinks I’m nuts to be planning my next Camino in 2026 (after doing my first Camino Frances this spring, 20 years in the making).

I’m planning on being gone for 3 months for my next time and saving now. Time is meaningless if we don’t choose to do things that our gut tells us we should do.

Lucille Ball once said “I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not,”

I have a feeling @BradleyS that the Camino is calling you for a reason. Now go and find out what it is. 😊

Buen Camino.

Hi Bradley - well, this is fascinating! Are you a procrastinator? .. if you are it would explain why you don't ...
I would like to know what drew you to the Camino in the first place that has left it in your mind, nagging at you - perhaps the film The Way? Or someone you met?

Re your religious feelings. or lack of them - there is a new rule and we cannot not discuss whether you would be going as a pilgrim or not, so that has to remain a personal thing for you.

Whatever it was it is settled in now and will just nag and nag and nag until you surrender and go! So you might as well pack that bag and do it.
Some great responses but I think LovelyShell summed it up "You’re never going to regret doing the Camino but you will regret not doing the Camino."

By the way, your sons will be proud of you - children always like having a hero father.

Hey - watch this and see how it affects you, want to go? Vendras? - (copyright and thanks to Pilgrim House, Santiago)

Last edited:
My son decided that at 70 years old (I’m 67) that I’ll be too old to drive my manual Honda Accord and that I should change cars 😜. My family thinks I’m nuts to be planning my next Camino in 2026 (after doing my first Camino Frances this spring, 20 years in the making).
I have a friend who walked his first Camino for his 75th birthday. This year he celebrated his 81st on the Camino. 😊

Hi Bradley - well, this is fascinating! Are you a procrastinator? .. if you are it would explain why you don't ...
I would like to know what drew you to the Camino in the first place that has left it in your mind, nagging at you - perhaps the film The Way? Or someone you met?

By the way, your sons will be proud of you - children always like having a hero father.

Hey - watch this and see how it affects you, want to go? Vendras? - (copyright and thanks to Pilgrim House, Santiago)

Am I a procrastinator? Mmmm, sometimes yes, sometimes no. But, I don't think that's the issue in this case.

What drew me to the Camino? You know, it's kinda odd. I took Spanish in middle school (7th and 8th grade) and in addition to learning grammar and vocabulary and proper pronunciation and verb conjugations and translating literature(!), we also learned a little about the culture of various Spanish speaking peoples and places. It was one one of these lessons about culture, I remember the teacher telling us, really just kinda mentioning in an off hand manner, "...and you can walk across northern Spain, sleeping each night in a monastery or convent". She didn't call it el Camino de Santiago, didn't really say anything else about it but, I distinctly remember 14 year old me sitting in that class that day thinking that sounded like a something I wanted to do someday and probably within three days, it had slipped my mind. Time passed, I grew up, went to college, had a career, etc...then I saw the movie, "The Way" and it occured to me that maybe, this is what Srta. Hoya was talking about! I never really planned or researched it though - just thought, "I wanna do that someday". Now I'm researching, planning, budgeting, etc...and I keep thinking, Jeez, that's a lotta money! There's a bunch of other things I could see and do closer to home that wouldn't be so expensive.

I've decided to sell off part of my camera collection as a way to offset the cost of the camino. Sold three cameras today...so we shall see. Maybe I can go next spring? But I kinda hope to go this autumn yet.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But I kinda hope to go this autumn yet.
Sold three cameras today.
And...you think your camino hasn't begun?

Give up Bradley. ;) The idea won't let you go until you get off the fence. And then the fun begins.

As Rebekah said, you can walk and spend surprisingly little. Yeah, it's not the Ritz. It's much more real and alive and scary than that.

€60,-
Thank you all for the support and encouragement. I'm humbled and very grateful.
That's one of the joys of the Camino.
You just stumbled into this virtual albergue and asked for help. That's what we pilgrims do, help, when someone's dealing with something - because we know the inner and outer struggles.
Buen camino peregrino.

I realised I was procrastinating about my Camino earlier this year so I sat at the computer one day and booked my flight. I figured once I did that, I’d have to go.
Since then, all I have done is book a couple of night’s accommodation for before I start walking. I fly to Porto next month. My friends and family think I’m amazing but I think I’m nuts! I have never done anything like this. I’m very nervous but also excited, I’m sure it will be an amazing experience.
Just go for it!
I was the exact same way. Like you, once I had booked my international flight I was in. The rest just fell into place :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Cost was a problem for me - especially airfare! OMG!!!! So expensive. Everyone should decide for themselves how much they can spend on this trip (and truly, whether or not it is affordable for them).

I asked myself - is anyone in my family going without something they truly need? will spending X # of dollars on this trip cause someone in my family to go without? The answers were NO.

So, I booked my flight, purchased the things I felt I needed, and now I leave late September 2023!!!!! I don't regret making the plunge AT ALL.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just go for it!
How was your Camino experience? Porto is such an amazing city to visit.

Still home, I’ll be in Porto at the end of the month. Can’t wait but also getting very nervous.
Whoops, I misread your departure date. I can understand being nervous. When I undertake this walk, I will do it solo as my husband can't. So, doing solo travel creates a few anxious moments for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Take the first step. Nothing is perfect, some of it may well be a bit shit and some of it may be the most miraculous thing you’ll have experienced. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bradley, Planning my second CF for this fall, but I too am on the fence for various reasons. So reading all the responses your post has generated is inspiring me to go. I agree with all the posts amazingly.

The most essential part of a camino to me is walking. To me it is not clear if the OP likes or has any experience walking for many hours for days in a row. If not I woul suggest to try to walk close to home for a week or so with a backpack. Of course a camino offers much more in cultural/ social contexts, but it starts with the pleasure in walking

Best thing I have ever done, and worth every cent! (And I'm from Australia.) Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.