• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I want to walk the last few days with my son who is currently in Zubiri. Is this possible?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the forum!

I guess it is possible although I don't know what/where "Subir" is ;)

Ultreia!

Welcome to the forum!

I guess it is possible although I don't know what/where "Subir" is ;)

Ultreia!
I apologise, I am very new at all this. He is in Zubiri, not Subir! Well, he is on his way to Pamplona today, day 3 of his Camino. My problem is that I really want to walk a few days with him, but have never trained. I had planned to walk from Sarria a few years ago with a friend, but had an RTA instead and ended up with severe chest injuries. I really want to do this, but don't want to be foolish. My injuries have healed but never been tested by sustained walking. My son decided to go fairly quickly and in January of all months! However, I am being drawn more and more to the idea and feel that I will be letting go of a very special opportunity. By the way, do you know how to edit your profile. As you can see, I am not male and don't know how to edit it. I must have pushed the wrong button at some stage!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome Maureen, to edit your profile just click on your forum name at the top right of the page just to the left of "inbox" and "alerts" you can then make any changes on this page and then save them. You should try and meet him in Sarria and walk the last five to six days into Santiago.
Buen Camino.

Maureen, you still have two weeks at least: start training TODAY by walking a few km, every day a bit longer and then join your son in Sarria for the last 100 km and a few days into Santiago! Absolutely.

Why don't do a test walk with a reasonably fully loaded day pack and see how far you get and what your feet/back/chest are saying to that exercise. If you can get your son to slow down a bit the last stages, walking with him should be possible, even this time of the year. Buen Camino! SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maureen - before I walked last year I trained lots but 2 weeks before I set off I had a little walking holiday where I walked my first 20km. I was exhausted after this and had a mini-meltdown and thought I would never cope with the camino and changed my start from St Jean in France to Roncesvalles in Spain.

For my first two days I took it very slow and was bored at the lack of progress each day so by day 3 I was walking 24km and felt totally comfortable.

I did get blisters but due to the fit of my boots... so make sure your shoes fit! But what I'm trying to say (badly) is that when you're on the camino the only thing you do each day is walk... and for some reason it's just easier?

As other people have suggested, start training now and get some weight on your back... trust your gut instincts and go for it. Deep down I knew I was ready but fear got the better of me... so trust your instincts and good luck!

Maureen, you still have two weeks at least: start training TODAY by walking a few km, every day a bit longer and then join your son in Sarria for the last 100 km and a few days into Santiago! Absolutely.
I second Pano's recommendation. You need some time to gather your gear and get in at least a few training walks with that gear before you start.

I apologise, I am very new at all this. He is in Zubiri, not Subir! Well, he is on his way to Pamplona today, day 3 of his Camino. My problem is that I really want to walk a few days with him, but have never trained. I had planned to walk from Sarria a few years ago with a friend, but had an RTA instead and ended up with severe chest injuries. I really want to do this, but don't want to be foolish. My injuries have healed but never been tested by sustained walking. My son decided to go fairly quickly and in January of all months! However, I am being drawn more and more to the idea and feel that I will be letting go of a very special opportunity. By the way, do you know how to edit your profile. As you can see, I am not male and don't know how to edit it. I must have pushed the wrong button at some stage!
No need for apologising, Maureen, it was cute :)
I second suggestions posted above although you can walk as far as you can and take a bus to catch up with your son. It'll be a memorable experience nevertheless. Question is if you are sure that your son would want that? Ask yourself whether your wish will work for you, for him or for both of us...

If you want to change your personal data: you can see on the right hand side of the main menu: "your name", "Inbox" & "Alerts". Click on your name, click on personal details and correct them by clicking the right button.

Have a nice day!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK, one very serious question: Does your son want to walk with you? Don't get me wrong, but the Camino is a very personal experience and he might just need that one for himself - alone. Buen Camino, SY

Some people like to be alone, others do not. I personally like both options, depending on how I am feeling that particular day. But there is NO WAY I would ever deny my mother (or father for that case) the chance to walk the Camino for a few days with me. Walking the entire Camino with me would be a different story. Your son will have 3-4 weeks of "alone" time if that is what he wants. I still think he should be asked, but I can't see him denying you this opportunity. Buen Camino, and welcome to the forum :)

Thank you all so much for your help and encouragement. I can't believe there are so many people out there to support those of us who have never walked the Camino and who are coming from such diverse backgrounds, perspectives and abilities. I had thought that my goal should be Sarria if possible because I estimate that my son will be there or thereabouts on his birthday, 7th February. I spoke to him tonight and he is excited at the prospect of us walking together, but I have made no promises. We had discussed the idea a couple of times before he left, but it was only a pipe-dream. Now it seems closer, as if it could happen.
Unfortunately, I am recovering from a chest infection, so it will be Thursday before I can start training. Also, I will have to beg for time off work (having been on sick leave) and start accumulating basic equipment. Oh, and there is also the small matter of my passport needing renewed!

Still, I have talked about this for a long time and always had some rationale for procrastinating. I think the time is right! Thank you all. Wish me luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all so much for your help and encouragement. I can't believe there are so many people out there to support those of us who have never walked the Camino and who are coming from such diverse backgrounds, perspectives and abilities. I had thought that my goal should be Sarria if possible because I estimate that my son will be there or thereabouts on his birthday, 7th February. I spoke to him tonight and he is excited at the prospect of us walking together, but I have made no promises. We had discussed the idea a couple of times before he left, but it was only a pipe-dream. Now it seems closer, as if it could happen.
Unfortunately, I am recovering from a chest infection, so it will be Thursday before I can start training. Also, I will have to beg for time off work (having been on sick leave) and start accumulating basic equipment. Oh, and there is also the small matter of my passport needing renewed!
Still, I have talked about this for a long time and always had some rationale for procrastinating. I think the time is right! Thank you all. Wish me luck.
Maureen, just a a small afterthought: While restricting your pack to the essentials, you may still want to use of one of the forwarding services that takes care of picking up your pack and carry it to the next albergue, hostal, hotel. Your innkeeper in Sarria will recommend you such a reliable service. This will make your walk a whole lot easier (bring along a small day-pack for your valuables and water, etc) and cost you only 6-7 € a day.
Your camino will be a piece of cake ;)

I hope that you get to do this! Please keep us updated. I haven't made my first attempt at a Camino yet, but I've been looking into information about people with health problems walking the Camino and finding ALL KINDS of positive responses! You can do it! You just have to figure out how YOU will do it. I think that if you find and respect your body's abilities then it's possible. There is is a story somewhere here about two men who did the whole trip with one in a wheelchair! Another story about a woman who did it with an awesome "off-roading" walker.

It's obvious from these boards that everyone who walks the camino has a different experience, but I think when you have a health issue you have to be even more willing to let go of "what's normal and expected" but that you can still do this.

I really hope you get your chance, and come back and tell us about it. Search the forums for disability, walking aids, wheelchair, etc., and threads will pop up that will inspire you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Do you just want to walk the last 100km to Santiago with your son? If so, don't bother to buy an expensive backpack, just a simple small pack to carry water, food, and extra clothing. Have your regular suitcase transported by http://www.xacotrans.com/?lang=en for €3 per day.

Buen Camino Maureen. Listen to your inner voice urging you along. It sounds like your son wants you to come along, and given your previous injuries he wants to support your camino. It is a wonderful opportunity. Go for it. Sarria is a good start point. Enjoy. Peace be with you!

Good luck, Maureen! And do have your pack sent on ahead. Sarria to Santiago is fantastic!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The major focus of your training now is checking to see how your feet cope with a 10 km STROLL. How you cope with carrying a daypack for a 10 km AMBLE. Do not overdo training in these 2 weeks. Stroll and amble for 3 hour stretches every day in these 2 weeks, SLOWLY. You should manage. Good luck.

If you have felt called before but ignored it, and now feel called again, then go for it! It will probably be less strenuous than you imagine. For some reason, mostly because we are such creatures of habit, we sometimes envision the Camino as being our daily routine at home with A WHOLE BUNCH OF WALKING thrown into the mix and carried out at a breakneck pace. When you realize that walking IS your daily routine on the Camino, it becomes much more doable. You can set your pace and stop for breaks as needed. And you'll come home with some great memories shared with your son.

Once again I want to thank each and every one of you who have taken the time to give me practical help and invaluable encouragement. I have taken all your comments on board and have also done a lot of soul searching. I have decided not to attempt to meet my son after all. I thought a lot about the fact that this is his Camino, his journey, and although we would both love to walk together, I don't want to interfere with his pace or with his relationship with the other pilgrims he will meet along the way. He will be nearing the end of his Camino and I will just be starting mine. I don't want to hold him back and I certainly don't want him worrying about me. We keep in touch via 'whats ap' and I get a flavour of his journey by sifting through photographs and blogs in the Forum. I believe this pilgrimage will be an incredible and transforming touchstone in his life and this gives me enormous pleasure.

As David said, I have been called before and ignored it, finding rational excuses for procrastination: family, work, fitness, time. And then in 2013, when I had planned to walk for a week with a friend, a large jeep decided to put paid to the notion by driving into my car!
However, my plan now is to train properly and book a flight. This is not procrastination: it just seems like the right thing to do for both my son and myself. He knows how much I wanted to go and I think this was his way of ensuring that I did. He is a great guy. I will walk the Camino and perhaps when I do he will come and join me. Or perhaps it will be my Camino and we will simply share memories and a spiritual understanding.

Either way, the advice from all of you has not been wasted. You have not heard the last of me!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maureen, bravely and beautifully said. The camino will wait for you until grace gives you opportunity. We look forward to hearing from you when you step out on the path.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back