• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If I want to use the bag transport service do I need to book in advance?

WarrenAndLaurie

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
If I want to use the bag transport service do I need to book in advance or can I do it the day of (or day before)?

Are there recommended bag transport services?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have used Caminofacil for years and love them.
You can book the day before or the day of.
Just fill out the form, pop in the cash, and either call them/email them yourself or ask your lodging to call them

Dunno about Camino Facil, but Jacotrans and Correos, which are the two big suppliers, both need you to book by 8 pm the night before for the next day's service. In practice, they will pick up any bag with their tags on it when they come to an albergue in the morning, but if you are the only one using the service at that location, they won't come in the morning if you haven't called the night before.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used baggage transport in 2017. When I got to the Albergue I would ask them for the tag for the baggage transport service that they used and filled out and put in money. You then place bag prior to time they pick up (in the correct location in Albergue) and your bag will then be at your next Albergue for you. I never had an issue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Because someone else at your lodging HAD arranged pick-up the night before. Otherwise they wouldn't have known to stop there.
I didn’t know that when staying at a hotel in Burgos that wasn’t a typical pilgrim lodging. When I checked out and asked where I could leave my backpack for Jacotrans, the front desk person asked me if I had called the previous day. I had not, so they told me to call as early as possible to let them know. I kept trying and eventually got through once the office opened, and I got an earful!

I saw the small truck a couple of hours later making his dropoffs and pickups, and the driver confirmed he got the word to stop at my hotel. Phew! I didn’t make that mistake again, but I only transported my backpack 3 times when walking longer stages.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If I want to use the bag transport service do I need to book in advance or can I do it the day of (or day before)?

Are there recommended bag transport services?
We book the bag transfer in advance because we book our lodgings in advance. We decided to use Pilbeo for our upcoming Camino in September. The contact person there seems very nice and responsive. The website is also easy to navigate. We contacted Caminofacil too but it's not responsive to our query. Thus, our decision to use Pilbeo instead of Caminofacil. Just our two cents.

Here's the Correos web site (in English). By booking for my party plus 5 stops in advance (we had pre-booked accommodation), I was able to get a discount off the daily rate. For a group of 4 x 5 days, that was Euro 20 in 2019.

One other thing I love. Correos has a help center staffed with English speaking customer support (that was very helpful when one of my sandals was left inside the van). Jacobtrans are staffed by regional players, so, English fluency is not consistent.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked Carmino Norte from 4/23/22 to 5/27/22. I used backpack delivery services by "Trans-Mikel" from Irun to Bilbao; he charged me 50 Euros for 7 stages. From Bilbao I used different "Trans-Mikel" who charged me 20 Euros for each stages because I was the only one customer. He tole if he has another customer, he will charge me 10 Euros. I know it's very high, but I had no choices due to have back pain.
At Castro Urdiales, I had Correos information, I arranged Correos services from Laredo to Santago de Compostela; total 25 stages. I paid 169 euros at the beginning (They gave me some discounts).
Correos has English speaking person, and they are very helpful. They work until 8:00 PM, so whatever I had any issues of delivery, they answered my call all the time and solved the issue right a way. I like their services.
When I walked FC, there are many services available like JacoTrans, etc., but Camino Norte has not many choices. I think Correos is the best on the Norte.

Using CaminoFacil and they’ve given great service. Didn’t charge me extra even when I screwed up the reservation. Very responsive on WhatsApp to questions, last minute changes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have used 3 different companies. jacotrans, Correos and caminofacil. My vote if you are planning on doing a substantial part of the CF, is to use Correos. They are very efficient and overall of the cheapest the three companies.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back