• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If you are thinking of a poncho - here is the Ultimate

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all, some of you may know that I prefer a poncho to a jacket (Why? Ohhhhh .. for SO many reasons!)

I have just noticed that Snugpak now sell their military grade poncho to the public (Snugpak supply our UK military and also sell many of the same items at the same quality to the public).

the Snugpak Enhanced Patrol Poncho - in khaki or black.

It is similar to the Altus in that it has sleeves but is a smock design with a big chest pocket, and underneath that there is a pouch for your hands to go in to keep them dry and warm. It also has elastic loops to slide thumbs into to keep the sleeves down when being active.
Shaped for when wearing a full size backpack and can be bought for about £50 and weighs 400gms - 13 ounces.
Also, you can ignore the sleeves if you want and have your arms underneath the poncho. Oh - they do a thermal liner too!
Though I need to say, the size is "universal" - so one size fits all?

Truly waterproof and not like those flimsy ones that blow all over the place.

I am not connected with Snugpak - just sharing a new piece of kit - looks pretty good.

Here a photo and also a Youtube review so you can really see it - if you are thinking about a poncho (and I think that you should be ;)) - check it out. here the video - Snugpak enhanced patrol poncho review

OIP (1).jpeg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here in the colonies, this poncho is also available in Coyote - a deep tan color - as well as black and olive. Here is the direct link: https://snugpakusa.com/product.php?id=122

Click on "item numbers" for a listing of stock numbers and colors.

Normally, I advise people to invest in a poncho that creates a color contrast against the environment for road walking safety. But, this product is reasonably priced and has a reputation for being very durable. You can also procure the optional but fitted poncho liner to make a three season - fall, winter and spring rainproof system. The liner can double as a bed / bunk sleep sack - maybe.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looks cool, and I certainly like the natural material !!

Though mine will always be a traditional great big black woollen pilgrim's cape ...

View attachment 154985

(Not my phone, so sorry for the poor quality image) (January 2019)
Darth Vader has nothing on you! Most impressive but did it keep you dry? ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Though mine will always be a traditional great big black woollen pilgrim's cape ...

View attachment 154985

I love that cape! I used a woolen one on my first Camino. I've two now, one in a natural green colour and one dark grey. For colder weather those are amazing.

Sadly my newer giant pack doesn't fit under it - well in theory, it does, but looks absolutely ridiculous. So I use the woolen capes for shorter hikes and day walks with less gear and a smaller pack.

View attachment 154985

Hey! Aren't you the guy who did Canterbury being filmed, also in authentic medieval clothing?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here in the colonies, this poncho is also available in Coyote - a deep tan color - as well as black and olive. Here is the direct link: https://snugpakusa.com/product.php?id=122

Click on "item numbers" for a listing of stock numbers and colors.

Normally, I advise people to invest in a poncho that creates a color contrast against the environment for road walking. But, this product is reasonably priced and has a reputation for being very durable. You can also procure the optional but fitted poncho liner to make a three season - fall, winter and spring rainproof system. The liner can double as a bed / bunk sleep sack - maybe.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Franciscan brown???? Want!!!!

Just for comparison purposes, more expensive, and no doubt less suited to military engagements:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Alus weighs only 325 g / 11.46 oz for a small, 343 g / 12.1 oz for a medium, and 399 g / 14.07 oz for an extra large, which is hard to beat for a raincoat/poncho that covers past your knees, covers your backpack, has full sleeves, and a full zip front. Unless you make yourself a "Parcho."

Another similar option is the Packa. Elasticated arms, front zip, pit zips, light, visor on hood, and the clincher - can remain on your pack even when you are not wearing it, so easy to slip in and out of when it's raining intermittently.

Hi all, some of you may know that I prefer a poncho to a jacket (Why? Ohhhhh .. for SO many reasons!)

I have just noticed that Snugpak now sell their military grade poncho to the public (Snugpak supply our UK military and also sell many of the same items at the same quality to the public).

It is similar to the Altus in that it has sleeves but is a smock design with a big chest pocket, and underneath that there is a pouch for your hands to go in to keep them dry and warm. It also has elastic loops to slide thumbs into to keep the sleeves down when being active.
Shaped for when wearing a full size backpack and can be bought for about £50 and weighs 400gms - 13 ounces.
Also, you can ignore the sleeves if you want and have your arms underneath the poncho. Oh - they do a thermal liner too!

I am not connected with Snugpak - just sharing a new piece of kit - looks pretty good.

Here a photo and also a Youtube review so you can really see it - if you are thinking about a poncho (and I think that you should be ;)) - check it out. here the video - Snugpak enhanced patrol poncho review

View attachment 154979
The main thing I see that I don't like about it is no front opening. I can't tell you how often I've walked with it hanging over my pack, my arms out, and it open. Also, if I start sweating, I simply open up the front. Not possible in this one, but I'm sure it will work fine for some folks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I made a woolen cape like JabbaPappa's and used it for YEARS camping.
Mine was actually heavy linen lined with wool.
I loved it!
Then one year, someone STOLE IT!
I am still angry about that.
I keep hoping I'll run into whomever had the gall to take it and I'll take it right back!
::fuming::
If I were walking in cold weather, this would work fine, but too heavy to carry when it's warm.
And yes, it kept me quite dry.

"if you were thinking of a poncho?" Don't be. Spain is a leader in wind energy for a reason. it has a lot of wind. And ponchos don't do all that well in the wind.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"if you were thinking of a poncho?" Don't be. Spain is a leader in wind energy for a reason. it has a lot of wind. And ponchos don't do all that well in the wind.

Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims have arrived alive and well in Santiago using ponchos, despite the wind, and many of the repeat-walkers are so happy with their ponchos and capes that they still prefer them over jackets.

I've heard the "but ponchos don't work in the wind" countless times. With a good poncho/cape it's not really an issue unless we talk about high alpine treks or something like that. For rather easy walks on overall easy terrain like the Camino, a poncho is a very good solution (as is a jacket, pick what you prefer).

My cape/poncho is a similar design as the snugpak one shown in this thread. It's a "Wäfo Kraxenponcho", a German brand.

Works very well for me even in strong wind. I can tie it down/secure it with several buttons/cords that are attached to it in the critical places. When walking in more mountainous terrain, you can shorten it so you have no risk of stepping on it. It comes in different sizes/length, and will cover everything down to your ankles in the right size (mine is a bit too short, bought the wrong one). Not the lightest with ~500g, but very sturdy and 100% waterproof. Haven't missed a zipper like the Altus has - I simply roll up the front when it stops raining, and keep the cape over the pack. That way I can pull it over my head again easily when it starts raining again.

Had it for years now and am still 100% happy with it.

So, thinking about bringing a poncho for the Camino makes just as much sense as other rain gear options, in my opinion.

Sorry to ask, but do I need a poncho during this summerperiod? It s usually 450 gr more?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another similar option is the Packa. Elasticated arms, front zip, pit zips, light, visor on hood, and the clincher - can remain on your pack even when you are not wearing it, so easy to slip in and out of when it's raining intermittently.
Ingenious! Watched the video. Pricy but looks great.

Sorry to ask, but do I need a poncho during this summerperiod? It s usually 450 gr more?
If it's a "normal" summer, there can be cold days and wet ones at certain points of the Camino, in Galicia especially. In an exceptionally dry summer like 2023, and also 2022, perhaps not -- but there can be cooler, wetter years, with a dominant Siberian anticyclone, when rain kit will be a must.

If it's a "normal" summer, there can be cold days and wet ones at certain points of the Camino, in Galicia especially. In an exceptionally dry summer like 2023, and also 2022, perhaps not -- but there can be cooler, wetter years, with a dominant Siberian anticyclone, when rain kit will be a must.
Thank you so much for your quick answer , I will do the costal route in Portugal, so this summer i could risk it.

Thank you so much for your quick answer , I will do the costal route in Portugal, so this summer i could risk it.
Well, you will be heading into Galicia -- where rain heading into Autumn is always a possibility.

But well, if the weather starts to turn that way in the forecasts, you could always just buy local ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims have arrived alive and well in Santiago using ponchos, despite the wind, and many of the repeat-walkers are so happy with their ponchos and capes that they still prefer them over jackets.

I've heard the "but ponchos don't work in the wind" countless times. With a good poncho/cape it's not really an issue unless we talk about high alpine treks or something like that. For rather easy walks on overall easy terrain like the Camino, a poncho is a very good solution (as is a jacket, pick what you prefer).

My cape/poncho is a similar design as the snugpak one shown in this thread. It's a "Wäfo Kraxenponcho", a German brand.

Works very well for me even in strong wind. I can tie it down/secure it with several buttons/cords that are attached to it in the critical places. When walking in more mountainous terrain, you can shorten it so you have no risk of stepping on it. It comes in different sizes/length, and will cover everything down to your ankles in the right size (mine is a bit too short, bought the wrong one). Not the lightest with ~500g, but very sturdy and 100% waterproof. Haven't missed a zipper like the Altus has - I simply roll up the front when it stops raining, and keep the cape over the pack. That way I can pull it over my head again easily when it starts raining again.

Had it for years now and am still 100% happy with it.

So, thinking about bringing a poncho for the Camino makes just as much sense as other rain gear options, in my opinion.
Yeah, and I have seen hundreds of ponchos flapping in the wind. Plus a regular raincoat is closer to you and will keep you warm in the shoulder season. Of course, some ponchos are better than others, but if I do it again, I'm taking the raincoat. I wish I had the first time.

Yeah, and I have seen hundreds of ponchos flapping in the wind. Plus a regular raincoat is closer to you and will keep you warm in the shoulder season. Of course, some ponchos are better than others, but if I do it again, I'm taking the raincoat. I wish I had the first time.

As I said, personal preference. I've walked with a poncho/cape in all seasons and all kinds of weather and was always happy with it.

Tried a jacket too, hated it.

Not saying one is right and the other isn't, since I know that many others are very happy with their rain jackets/trousers, or even umbrellas, rain kilts ect.

The secret is that what you personally prefer doesn't always apply to everybody else.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Love my Ferrino Trekker poncho. I prefer walking in cooler weather and it doubles as extra warmth over my sleeping bag on freezing nights when heating is off.
Being able to leave it hanging from my pack in the on again off again rain is a blessing.
Heading to my 9th camino and it’s the first thing I reached for.
I bought mine on line from Spain but a friend recently bought his on Amazon.

I gave up on ponchos because where I hiked it was too windy; up to 231 miles per hour (371 kph), seriously. So, when it came time to walk the camino I used the jacket I had.

I do admire some of these ponchos though. They'd be great on the camino.

Jabba, you look very debonair wearing it! But being woolen, it looks heavy and quite hot, which seems unsuitable on a summer Camino wearing it in rain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Nonsense. Sure they blow around, everything does, but when I had my Altus it never blew 'up'. This is me back in March 2005 above Roncesvalles, coming down out of deep deep snow - windy! - I had just walked over from St Jean, high winds and a snow storm up there - very cold, bit dodgy ... poncho all the way.
With my Altus I never used the sleeves as I found that my arms just sweated all the time (as you can see, I radiate heat, so the shorts even up there), so used it as a cape - which is why I sold the Altus and now use a hooded rain cape.

Roncesvalles below.jpg

After trying both rain jackets and ponchos on 5 caminos, give me a poncho any day as long as it has zips and not studs. Studs do get blown apart in high winds, zips don't. I found the Snugpak to be incredibly easy to pull on and off over a backpack while still walking. With rain jackets you have to take the backpack off. For me, the Snugpak poncho is brilliant.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nonsense. Sure they blow around, everything does, but when I had my Altus it never blew 'up'. This is me back in March 2005 above Roncesvalles, coming down out of deep deep snow - windy! - I had just walked over from St Jean, high winds and a snow storm up there - very cold, bit dodgy ... poncho all the way.
With my Altus I never used the sleeves as I found that my arms just sweated all the time (as you can see, I radiate heat, so the shorts even up there), so used it as a cape - which is why I sold the Altus and now use a hooded rain cape.

View attachment 155049
If they blow around they are letting the cold air in. Back in 2010 when I backpacked through the Boundary Waters I used a poncho and it worked well. I had an ultralight tent with no tent floor. I used the poncho as a tent floor as well as it's regular duties in the rain. But, on the camino I don't use a tent without a floor or even one with a floor. Raincoats work great for layering systems and you can wear them as a plain old warmth coat. Wearing a poncho around town when it's just cold and not raining looks a little goofy. But a raincoat looks great in that situation.

If they blow around they are letting the cold air in. Back in 2010 when I backpacked through the Boundary Waters I used a poncho and it worked well. I had an ultralight tent with no tent floor. I used the poncho as a tent floor as well as it's regular duties in the rain. But, on the camino I don't use a tent without a floor or even one with a floor. Raincoats work great for layering systems and you can wear them as a plain old warmth coat. Wearing a poncho around town when it's just cold and not raining looks a little goofy. But a raincoat looks great in that situation.

But that is one of the main points of a poncho or cape isn't it? On Camino it is mostly warm to hot weather, unless walking out of season - having cool air flowing underneath is quite wonderful, don't you think?

However, for colder climes Snugpak also sell their poncho thermal liner.

Agree - ponchos or capes do look somewhat goofy off Camino in towns - I don't even use my trailer in England as off Camino just Everyone stares at me!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Paracord or bungee cord for a belt = no flapping!

No I think our pilgrim lives in the USofA, Florida!

(This is history, not politics) - King George was an idiot! The American colonies wanted representation (no taxation without representation) - had he allowed just a few Colony members of parliament there would have been no War of Independence, and America would have developed as Canada did, the greatest jewel and he threw it away - he was a fool!!
Think of the different timeline - the non-settlement west of the border to the west of the colonies (everything west of that was declared native land) set by the Royal Proclamation of 1763 would have stood so no holocaust of the native peoples, slavery banned in 1834 - 1834!! No American civil war, the whole of north America as part of the Empire in 1914 - would Germany have chanced war with us? The different timeline just goes on an on!

Last edited:
(This is history, not politics) - King George was an idiot! The American colonies wanted representation (no taxation without representation) - had he allowed just a few Colony members of parliament there would have been no War of Independence, and America would have developed as Canada did, the greatest jewel and he threw it away - he was a fool!!
The English in England generally had taxation without representation too, which wasn't fixed until the 20th Century.

But they weren't that keen on revolutions given the outcome of the earlier one ...

Here a photo and also a Youtube review so you can really see it - if you are thinking about a poncho (and I think that you should be ;)) - check it out. here the video - Snugpak enhanced patrol poncho

"One size fits all."
The greatest lie ever told... 🤔🤣

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But how does it pair with a boiler suit?

Just kidding @David , nobody's taking up boiler suits lol, but this looks like an interesting poncho and definitely better than the one I used to wear. Frogg Toggs and Altus are really popular now but it's always good to have options to compare and contrast.

Paracord or bungee cord for a belt = no flapping!
yeah, that's just one more thing to mess around with when you could just be putting on a raincoat and being done with it.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.