• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insoles for trail runners in the 65km before Santiago

Hey Jude

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April '23
Camino Portuguese Feb '24
I am currently on the Camino Frances, at San Xulian tonight. My Hoka Challengers are holding up well but my superfeet insoles are not that super anymore. I had a pair of green superfeet insoles to swap out with these pink ones but my feet did not like the green ones as I got pinch blisters on my inside heels the couple of times I wore them, despite them feeling super comfortable on my trial walks in Australia.
So my very specific question to the brains trust here is can you provide information or recommendation for insoles that would work in my Hokas, and that would be available between here and Santiago or even Finisterre.
I have seen the gel ones (pictured) in some pharmacies and Pilgrim stores but I'm not too sure about them.
The main reason I want the insoles is for extra cushioning, I can definitely feel greater impact on my knees and legs since my insoles have worn down.
This is a very specific request, please do not give me recommendations/experiences about shoes, or about insoles that you can buy in the UK, US Australia etc.
IMG20230522145416.jpgIMG20230519151534.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230519151529.jpg
    IMG20230519151529.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It’s hard to give specific advice without some context on how one reached one’s conclusions. Here are my own thoughts on custom insoles. I had a pair of Altra Lone Peaks. I liked their ability to shed water quickly when drenched. My feet never felt wet or got pickled. However I thought I could improve upon them by buying insoles with greater cushioning.

I soon discovered I had introduced a new problem. My feet got sweaty and when the shoe was wet my feet stayed wet. The solid gel insoles blocked the water shedding ports of the shoe. The old insoles were perforated to allow the foot to breath.

So after wearing out my Lone Peaks with their original insoles I switched to Olympus with greater cushioning built in.

I know you don’t want anecdotes but my experience may help with your immediate need and help you find a solution based on what’s ahead. I see from your photo that the base of your shoe is perforated. Will your choice block these? Do you need immediate cushioning or is there rain in your future and pickled feet? ( if not pickled pigs’ feet, yumm)

Last edited:
Hi. I used bigger patches to repair my Garmont insoles. Worked well for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
BTW I should add that I am entirely happy with my pink super feet insoles and if I could find them in Santiago I would be very happy.

No idea if the Decathalon stores in Santiago carry that specific brand, but they do list a custom insole.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wear Hokas but never used aftermarket insole. I am a fan of Super Feet in my Altras but they didn't work in my Hokas.

Thanks to those who replied. I managed to buy a pair of insoles in Melide yesterdayIMG20230523123618.jpgIMG20230523123610.jpgNot exactly what I was looking for but after 20 km today they seem to be right for the job.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.