• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inspirational Camino 'graffiti'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Next - 2025
The Camino does provide, in many different ways.
I have many photos of motivational words I came across, written by pilgrims in various places on the Way.
I found that often I came across just the words I needed to hear, just when I needed them. Has any one else had this experience?
I thought I would post a few.... no idea who Polina is, but loved these words. Do you have photos to share?
I also know 'graffiti' is not everyones cup of tea. I'm not referring to the banal 'Harry loves Sally' kind, but wise, meaningful messages ... thoughts?

Attachments

• 5351424B-EDEC-47F1-A0B7-376E89537A23_1_105_c.jpeg
    5351424B-EDEC-47F1-A0B7-376E89537A23_1_105_c.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 0006B0A8-395A-426E-B49D-DF57FAC5BBCA_1_105_c.jpeg
    0006B0A8-395A-426E-B49D-DF57FAC5BBCA_1_105_c.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 355FFDF2-D11A-4B38-A664-90B1E241B938_1_105_c.jpeg
    355FFDF2-D11A-4B38-A664-90B1E241B938_1_105_c.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 115
  • BADBBD41-9B85-496F-90F6-1F18B8CDC8F0_1_105_c.jpeg
    BADBBD41-9B85-496F-90F6-1F18B8CDC8F0_1_105_c.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 128
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally I dislike graffiti. Nobody has the right to deface and damage someone else's property without permission, and that includes public property. I'm sure the locals along the Camino don't like it either. I find no motivation or inspiration from musings childishly scrawled on public and private property. I can only hope the locals don't judge all pilgrims by the selfish and actually illegal actions of a few.
Too bad they can't make that moron "Polina" go back and remove their attempts at being a wannabe beat poet with a scrub brush and cleaner.

I disliked the Graffiti. I was sad to see how much there was along the way. I even remember seeing the name Michael Jackson at least 9 times by the same "fan"... and it made me mad. And I was equally annoyed by the inspirational messages. They took me out of the moments I was in. They distracted me from my own thoughts and reflection.

Now the art? Well some of that was beautiful - but still prefer not to see graffiti art. I did love the art that was an entire wall of a building and the Camino art work on buildings and fences.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did like much of the beautiful Camino art along the way. I appreciated it when I saw a work that an artist gave time, effort, and thought into creating for me. But these sayings by this ”Polina” person? Pithy and uninspiring. I am also offended by tagging - keep your Michael Jackson fandom to yourself.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Compare and contrast, as my old English teacher used to say...

Attachments

• 2018-09-08 09.58.53.jpg
    2018-09-08 09.58.53.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 99
  • 2018-09-18 14.22.14.jpg
    2018-09-18 14.22.14.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114
  • 2018-09-17 08.11.19.jpg
    2018-09-17 08.11.19.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 92
  • 2018-09-16 10.27.41.jpg
    2018-09-16 10.27.41.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 2018-09-15 08.50.08.jpg
    2018-09-15 08.50.08.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 87
  • 2018-09-07 09.30.09.jpg
    2018-09-07 09.30.09.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
  • 2018-09-02 10.35.28.jpg
    2018-09-02 10.35.28.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 2018-08-31 11.42.00.jpg
    2018-08-31 11.42.00.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 87
  • 2018-08-30 08.34.40.jpg
    2018-08-30 08.34.40.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 2018-08-26 11.06.36.jpg
    2018-08-26 11.06.36.jpg
    10.1 MB · Views: 122
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think there are some important differences between tagging, street art, and graffiti.

A well-drawn and thoughtful message received at the right time can gladden the heart and lighten the legs.
As long as the message wasn't scrawled out illegally and without permission on public or private property. I'm going to guess that most of the graffiti is not done by locals or Spanish citizens. It's done by visitors. Someone just passing through. A guest. A guest who never learned to be respectful to their hosts.

Compare and contrast, as my old English teacher used to say...
Yes - I loved the painting of the woman (there were others in that area as well), and the Ponferrada painted name near the bridge. The rest? I would rather not see. The painted sign attached to the post - I am semi-OK with - as they did not deface personal property - but the sign can also be viewed as liter that needs to be cleaned up. But at least it can easily be removed if the owner doesn't want it on his property.

I also know 'graffiti' is not everyones cup of tea. I'm not referring to the banal 'Harry loves Sally' kind, but wise, meaningful messages ... thoughts?
Without permission, graffiti is vandalism no matter the cuteness or artistry. If I want to see graffiti vandalism, the streets of any urban area would give me my fill. I would prefer a camino without the scrawling's of a thoughtless person imposing their narcissistic 'look at me' footprint.

I do not need inspiration or giggles from a vandal.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Of all of the human messages I saw on my first Camino, this was the most unexpected.View attachment 123939
:D
Now that's funny and best of all, temporary.
I wished I had temporary, biodegradable stickers I could have slapped on graffiti as I passed. The stickers would have said something like "Look for inspiration from something less destructive and invasive."

Graffiti has, whether we like it or not, been around since the dawn of mankind. Are the cave paintings at Lascaux not graffiti? Excavations at Pompeii uncovered "Hello! We Are Wineskins!" and when Sir Christopher Wren wasn't designing St Paul's Cathedral he was busy carving his tag into the rocks at Stonehenge.
I do find it distasteful to enter a major city and see the buildings along the railways plastered with multi-coloured tags but, on the other hand, who would not want to preserve the Camino de Santiago mural at
Rabé de las Calzadas (now "spoiled" because the owner has erected a door stop post in front of it - tsk tsk)
But sometimes, just sometimes you come across things like this:

1651243886928.png

a movable stone as ephemeral as an autumn leaf. This was 2016 - I hope it's still around and laud the creator for having the sense to write on a loose stone and not the mojón itself.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What RJM said above in post #2. Anyone caught should be sent back along the Camino to do a clean up. We can live without the banal messages that flood social media being scrawled on public property.
I saw message boards in a few places in 2012, now they are a good idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Graffiti has, whether we like it or not, been around since the dawn of mankind. Are the cave paintings at Lascaux not graffiti? Excavations at Pompeii uncovered "Hello! We Are Wineskins!" and when Sir Christopher Wren wasn't designing St Paul's Cathedral he was busy carving his tag into the rocks at Stonehenge.
They did not have blogs on the worldwide web and they did not have Twitter, Instagram and Facebook where, as far as I know, inspirational words are posted and viewed and forwarded daily in huge numbers. Why I wonder is it that this is not enough for Polina and others like her? Why does she have to travel to the Camino Frances and leave her marks there?

They did not have blogs on the worldwide web and they did not have Twitter, Instagram and Facebook where, as far as I know, inspirational words are posted and viewed and forwarded daily in huge numbers. Why I wonder is it that this is not enough for Polina and others like her? Why does she have to travel to the Camino Frances and leave her marks there?
Perhaps we're hard-wired to attempt to make ourselves "immortal" or at least leave proof that we existed?
(Shrugs sadly)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, that was unexpected. Polina met a pilgrim who blogged about her in 2019.

Here are two further slogans crafted by her on the Camino Francés: You can't run from your problems but you can walk and The best plan is no plan. 😐

From the blog: Her name is Polina and she calls herself Polina Nomad. Polina often volunteers at pilgrim hostels and currently is serving at a hostel in Hospital de Orbigo. Today she didn’t have to report for her shift until 4 so she was walking to Astorga and would be taking a bus back to Hospital de Orbigo.

According to the blog entry Polina is a graphic artist.

Polina nomad.jpg

Surely some wise words can be found that say otherwise? Leave no trace perhaps or something even more inspiring?
How about "Mankind, far from perfect but the best we have available at present"?
Be glad the Camino isn't up Everest - from what I hear it makes the CF sound pristine :(

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
After a lifetime of seeing nothing but crude, narcissistic, and distasteful graffiti in the US, I was pleasantly surprised to see people expressing such positive messages along the camino. An occasional few though, is enough, and as long as they aren't defacing historic items.

How about "Mankind, far from perfect but the best we have available at present"?
Be glad the Camino isn't up Everest - from what I hear it makes the CF sound pristine :(
😩 don’t even go there. Everett base camp is now a rubbish tip monument to ego. Not to mention what happens further up. An abomination and the lives lost. Think this thread might have touched a sore point for me 😎 But … straying off topic

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... when Sir Christopher Wren wasn't designing St Paul's Cathedral he was busy carving his tag into the rocks at Stonehenge.
I can't tell, but it seems your statement is saying that since a famous person was a vandal, it's OK if everyone is a vandal.

I would hope that we would try to be more respectful of public and private property, rather than use Pompeii of 2000 years ago as acceptable standard.

Isn't this issue rather Camino specific and in particular Camino Francés specific?

I walked about 1800 km to Santiago and it was only during the last third of the way, after the Pyrenees and further towards Santiago, that these 'inspirational' quotes started to appear in the environment outside of towns. For some pilgrims such 'graffiti' fits into their Camino narrative while others, perhaps the majority, could do without it, and regard it as intruding and as eyesores.

And the more there is already, on waste bins, on electricity poles, on waymarkers, on trees, the more there will be in future. I'm sure I could find a meme on the internet for this, too, if I tried.

We are stewards of our environment ...

Isn't this issue rather Camino specific and in particular Camino Francés specific?

I walked about 1800 km to Santiago and it was only during the last third of the way, after the Pyrenees and further towards Santiago, that these 'inspirational' quotes started to appear in the environment outside of towns. For some pilgrims such 'graffiti' fits into their Camino narrative while others, perhaps the majority, could do without it, and regard it as eyesores.

And the more there is already, on waste bins, on electricity poles, on waymarkers, on trees, the more there will be in future. I'm sure I could find a meme on the internet for this, too, if I tried.
I think that’s right @Kathar1na I don’t recall it on other Caminos - but I could be wrong. I haven’t walked the Frances for many years, though I was on thé Primitivo in late 2019 and once we joined the Frances at Melide I don’t think I saw even one ‘clean’ stone marker. 😞

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe some sidewalk chaulk? LOL
Brilliant idea! We have to develop creative ideas and not simply moan on the forum. More pinboards in the albergues, whiteboards at 5 km intervals, free multi-coloured chalk for all pilgrims ... the rain will wash it away, the sun will bleach it quickly.

Brilliant idea! We have to develop creative ideas and not simply moan on the forum. More pinboards in the albergues, whiteboards at 5 km intervals, free multi-coloured chalk for all pilgrims ... the rain will wash it away, the sun will bleach it quickly.
Could even write a message on the sidewalk and it would wash away with the rain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I can't tell, but it seems your statement is saying that since a famous person was a vandal, it's OK if everyone is a vandal.

I would hope that we would try to be more respectful of public and private property, rather than use Pompeii of 2000 years ago as acceptable standard.
No, far from it. I disapprove of vandalism in any shape or form.

Perhaps you missed the bit where I wrote "I do find it distasteful to enter a major city and see the buildings along the railways plastered with multi-coloured tags"?

No, far from it. I disapprove of vandalism in any shape or form.

Perhaps you missed the bit where I wrote "I do find it distasteful to enter a major city and see the buildings along the railways plastered with multi-coloured tags"?
Actually, I did see that but I thought your distaste only applied to multi-coloured tags along railways at the entrance of big cities.

Sorry for generalizing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What RJM said above in post #2. Anyone caught should be sent back along the Camino to do a clean up. We can live without the banal messages that flood social media being scrawled on public property.
I saw message boards in a few places in 2012, now they are a good idea.
...yet your account photo ....Don't STOP Walking?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RJM
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm curious to hear from the pro graffiti members of this forum. In the sense of why they think it is okay to deface public and private property without permission. I don't want to hear it for debate's sake, I just want to know why they think it's okay, and if they do think it's okay if they could just answer the question, would it be okay if somebody sprayed, wrote, marked etc graffiti on their house or car? How would they react to that?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think there are some important differences between tagging, street art, and graffiti.

A well-drawn and thoughtful message received at the right time can gladden the heart and lighten the legs.
Yes, this was my point, that for me, the Camino provided. My first walk was to overcome personal trauma, I was 56 and unfit. Messages I needed arrived for me during very difficult moments and helped. (not on personal property!)

From the blog: Her name is Polina and she calls herself Polina Nomad. Polina often volunteers at pilgrim hostels and currently is serving at a hostel in Hospital de Orbigo. Today she didn’t have to report for her shift until 4 so she was walking to Astorga and would be taking a bus back to Hospital de Orbigo.
This just makes me want to know if she is still volunteering at pilgrim hostels and wondering which ones - so I can avoid them. Wondering if those who run the places know if that she is vandalizing all along the Camino. There are just so many ways to express yourself without defacing property all across Spain (or wherever you are).

...yet your account photo ....Don't STOP Walking?
Yes, I've seen that stop sign. It's just as bad on public property as it is on private. Somebody turned a stop sign, a traffic safety device into a gaudy, trashy piece of rubbish.
I find no motivation in silly shite like that. I mean it is not like I was dragging along, practically crawling when suddenly I saw that sign and it was like an epiphany, a ray of hope! A cosmic beam of motivation. Yes, I can make it! Ultreia! lol :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Camino does provide, in many different ways.
I found that often I came across just the words I needed to hear, just when I needed them.
It's not my intention to minimize the comfort these messages brought you. I respect that. Truly.

But I think that what the camino provides is a path for us to walk, hospitality and support along the way, space and time for our thoughts, healing and comradeship. Yes, there are those wonderful moments of serendipity when help appears in whatever form but I don't think that the camino means to provide a public canvas for its guests to vandalize.

think there are some important differences between tagging, street art, and graffiti.
I am a fan of street art in public spaces that give it thoughtful attention. There are some incredibly talented graffiti artists and muralists in towns and cities throughout the caminos. Porto for instance has some amazing street art. Starting in 2014, the city council commissioned local street artists to create art that would help give rundown neighbourhoods and derelict buildings new vibrancy and life.

IMG_4979.jpeg IMG_5015.jpeg IMG_8622.jpeg

We are stewards of our environment ...
Yes. This is the heart of it.

I mean it is not like I was dragging along, practically crawling when suddenly I saw that sign and it was like an epiphany, a ray of hope! A cosmic beam of motivation. Yes, I can make it! Ultreia! lol :D
Well that's exactly what happened to me on a cold miserably wet day, that is why it has special meaning for me. I was saying to myself what the hell are you doing here, then I saw that sign at the junction, I sat down and had a good laugh. I reckoned it was a sign to stop bitching and keep going. 😊

I’ve been reflecting on this thread - and particularly in relation to the person who has been named - the one who also volunteers as a hospitalero. While, I hate to see the stone markers defaced and the other ‘I was here’ and worse style graffiti, I imagine that the hospitalero and others who have written words of ‘encouragement’ or ‘inspiration’ have done so with good intentions, but perhaps insufficient thought.

In the case of the hospitalero, despite the writings which many of us don’t agree with, she is making more contribution than most to thé Camino in other ways. Let’s not, as was suggested, wonder where she is so as to avoid that albergue. 🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.