• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is a sleeping bag necessary for May/June pilgrimage

maximillian2

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013); May (2015)
I am looking to bring down the weight of my rucksack and I am wondering if I really need my 1.6lb. down sleeping bag. Would light weight sleeping bag liner be sufficient?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think a liner will be fine. There are blankets almost everywhere. It will be getting pretty warm by June, except some high elevations.

We take the opposite view having experienced cold in May. We have lightweight bags (750gms) and leave the liners at home. Works for us.
It depends on whether you feel the cold or not. I do so would use the bag and blanket if there was a cold spell.
It also depends on how late in May you set out and probably where from, as well as when you plan to finish in June. The later you are going the warmer it should be.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tend to get cold when my core temp drops between 3am-5am, so I am taking the REI branded 55+ deg. sleeping bag/ liner. I've slept in it a few times testing it before the trip and it suits me fine.

Fairly lite weight and small, plus it has nice features like zippers for the feet and the left arm.

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Just back from a week on the camino. I only brought a liner and it was perfect. There were good heavy blankets in all the albergues but i never had to use them even when it was sub-zero outside (.5m of snow fell during the night I stayed at roncevalles)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I tend to sleep cold. I have a lightweight down bag that is nearly as lightweight as a liner and I find it to be toasty warm! Remember, if you are cold, you can also put on all your clothes and use your ALTUS poncho to cover yourself. It really does keep the chill off.

Thanks to all of you. I am returning my sleeping bag to RE and exchange it with a lighter liner.

Somebody previously posted that a sleeping bag is required at the albergue in Roncevalles - is this true because it certainly alters the equation when trying to figure out whether or not to take a sleeping bag?!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.