• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is hiking the Camino at 17 to young?

Madi

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to hike the Camino the summer of 2016
Hello! So I am very interested in hiking the Camino the summer after I graduate high school. I will only be 17. I am not so much worried about being able to do it mentally and physically, (I am planning on hiking with a buddy) . My question is more so regarding wether or not I would be allowed to stay in hositles only being 17. Also I am a gal and am planning on hiking it with another girl my age, so I was wondering if we would face many problems regarding our safety? Thanks so much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Madi,
What a wonderful idea! I met an 18 year old a couple of weeks ago, on the Camino. She had walked alone, from Berlin ! She was managing fine, and absolutely loving it. You will probably find other pilgrims looking out for you, and you will feel safe in the community around you. I don't know if there is an age limit in the albergues, but I doubt it. Good luck with the planning !

Hello! So I am very interested in hiking the Camino the summer after I graduate high school. I will only be 17. I am not so much worried about being able to do it mentally and physically, (I am planning on hiking with a buddy) . My question is more so regarding wether or not I would be allowed to stay in hositles only being 17. Also I am a gal and am planning on hiking it with another girl my age, so I was wondering if we would face many problems regarding our safety? Thanks so much!
Hi, Madi!
Frequently I feel kind of sad that I discovered Caminos in Spain (or to be exact - to became really aware of them) quite late in my life. From this prespective I can only encourage you - GO FOR IT, GAL ;)
I don't believe there should be a problem regarding your age, but if so, you can carry a letter of permission from your parents with you or just ask older pilgrim to act as your companion...

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Madi!
Frequently I feel kind of sad that I discovered Caminos in Spain (or to be exact - to became really aware of them) quite late in my life. From this prespective I can only encourage you - GO FOR IT, GAL ;)
I don't believe there should be a problem regarding your age, but if so, you can carry a letter of permission from your parents with you or just ask older pilgrim to act as your companion...

Ultreia!
Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated!

Hello Madi,
What a wonderful idea! I met an 18 year old a couple of weeks ago, on the Camino. She had walked alone, from Berlin ! She was managing fine, and absolutely loving it. You will probably find other pilgrims looking out for you, and you will feel safe in the community around you. I don't know if there is an age limit in the albergues, but I doubt it. Good luck with the planning !
Great, much thanks! I am very excited!

Hi Madi,

Being a teacher, it would make me so proud to have one of my students leave for the Camino immediately after graduation. Assuming you have tolerance, open spirit, full heart, you and your friend should not have any worries about meeting others. The Camino is filled with incredible sights and the most beautiful people (as you will find here). What a springboard this would be for many years of travel for you.

If you haven't traveled with another before, it would be good to have both of you make "preparations". What I mean by this is you don't want to be put in the situation were you are doing all the arranging, or the other way around. Since it is a trip for the both of you, much better to have both know what to expect. Even more, be prepared to go on your own just in case things don't work out. A Camino family will develop around you. Promise.

Go get it Madi!

Keep a smile,
Simeon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Madi,

Being a teacher, it would make me so proud to have one of my students leave for the Camino immediately after graduation. Assuming you have tolerance, open spirit, full heart, you and your friend should not have any worries about meeting others. The Camino is filled with incredible sights and the most beautiful people (as you will find here). What a springboard this would be for many years of travel for you.

If you haven't traveled with another before, it would be good to have both of you make "preparations". What I mean by this is you don't want to be put in the situation were you are doing all the arranging, or the other way around. Since it is a trip for the both of you, much better to have both know what to expect. Even more, be prepared to go on your own just in case things don't work out. A Camino family will develop around you. Promise.

Go get it Madi!

Keep a smile,
Simeon
Thank you so much Simeon, I am looking forward to meeting all kinds of people, and hopefully making many connections! I am very appreciative of you taking the time to help me out!

Just go.You having discovered the Camino, you are already waay ahead of most of people your age, and you will learn a lot, many years ahead of them. The Camino can be a lifechanging experience for you, as well as a real boost to your mind and understanding of life and its real values.

And, the Camino is full of nice and helping people. I know for sure that I, as a 60 years old father and grandfather, would pay special attention to your well-being and safety if our paths were crossing, but there is no much need for it anyway: The Way is in general a very safe place, in the countryside of Spain. Remember, most people in this world of ours are good, and the vast majority of people on the Camino are even better than good: They are there for a good purpose. They will help you. It will be an adventure for you, I am sure.

Search this forum and use the vast amount of information in here. Read up, plan, prepare, and go. You will never in your life regret it.

Buen Camino: Go for it!

Edit: In 4 Caminos, I have never seen any age control! No worries.

Last edited:
Just go.You having discovered the Camino, you are already waay ahead of most of people your age, and you will learn a lot, many years ahead of them. The Camino can be a lifechanging experience for you, as well as a real boost to your mind and understanding of life and its real values.

And, the Camino is full of nice and helping people. I know for sure that I, as a 60 years old father and grandfather, would pay special attention to your well-being and safety if our paths were crossing, but there is no much need for it anyway: The Way is in general a very safe place, in the countryside of Spain. Remember, most people in this world of ours are good, and the vast majority of people on the Camino are even better than good: They are there for a good purpose. They will help you. It will be an adventure for you, I am sure.

Search this forum and use the vast amount of information in here. Read up, plan, prepare, and go. You will never in your life regret it.

Buen Camino: Go for it!
Thank you for your words, I am already amazed at the people on this forum! I cannot wait to meet kind, and encouraging Camino goers like yourself!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You will both have a wonderful experience. I wish I had known about the Camino when I was your age and had the opportunity to have walked it then.
I have a fifteen year old niece that now wants to walk it ever since she heard me talk about my experiences doing it. I tell her to definitely do it first chance that she can. I told he I'd even buy her a backpack and some gear when the time comes.

I cannot wait to meet kind, and encouraging Camino goers like yourself!
You will meet many :) Some of them may become your friends for a lifetime, from all corners of the world, some will make food with you in the albergues. You will make many new friends who will hug you in joined joy in front of the Cathedral, after completing a walk of life. My dream is now to take my granddaughter, 12, with me :)

You will both have a wonderful experience. I wish I had known about the Camino when I was your age and had the opportunity to have walked it then.
I have a fifteen year old niece that now wants to walk it ever since she heard me talk about my experiences doing it. I tell her to definitely do it first chance that she can. I told he I'd even buy her a backpack and some gear when the time comes.
Ah that is very neat. Will you be doing it with your niece? I am so glad that I have had such amazing support from many different family members. Many thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah that is very neat. Will you be doing it with your niece? I am so glad that I have had such amazing support from many different family members. Many thanks!
I think it would be great to walk the Camino with my niece. I've walked it twice already by myself, but I've always thought it would be great to walk it with a family member.

There was an American 17 yo male who walked with us last summer 2013, he was spending his summer break between his Jr. and Sr. year, there was also a UK duo with the 18 y/o girl with her 16 y/o brother, neither had any major issues and completed SJPDP to Santiago.

Hi Madi--one more vote of encouragement. We walked in 2013 with two guys who had just finished high school. They seemed to have a great time and had no trouble with albergues that we were aware of. Liz

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Madi - I met a 17 yr old girl from Italy, two years ago, early on while walking the Camino Frances. I walked with her several times along the way and met up with her on my final day into Santiago. She said she had a wonderful experience and felt very safe along the way. As mentioned in earlier posts, people do look out for each other. All will be well and I don't believe there are age restrictions with accommodation in the albergues or hostels.

Are you from the USA or Canada? Both countries have very strict regulations about a child (under 18 years of age) traveling abroad without an adult. I don't believe your age will be an issue in regards to staying at albergues, but it may be an issue in getting in/out of the country and in/out another as a minor. Once you get to Spain, you should be able to buy/access public transportation as you are older than 12 years old.

I did walked for a little while with a Mom and Daughter team. The daughter was 17 y/o and she had just graduated from high school. She was doing great and relating to other pilgrims very well. I found them again days later. The daughter was starting to get bored and had asked the Mom for them to take the bus and speed ahead. Blisters and other discomforts were starting to wear on her. I don't believe there are a lot of 17 years old out there who can take the challenges of the Camino day after day (there are not many adults who can either!). My best advice is that you practice at home first and go from there. Buen Camino!

Are you from the USA or Canada? Both countries have very strict regulations about a child (under 18 years of age) traveling abroad without an adult. I don't believe your age will be an issue in regards to staying at albergues, but it may be an issue in getting in/out of the country and in/out another as a minor. Once you get to Spain, you should be able to buy/access public transportation as you are older than 12 years old.

I did walked for a little while with a Mom and Daughter team. The daughter was 17 y/o and she had just graduated from high school. She was doing great and relating to other pilgrims very well. I found them again days later. The daughter was starting to get bored and had asked the Mom for them to take the bus and speed ahead. Blisters and other discomforts were starting to wear on her. I don't believe there are a lot of 17 years old out there who can take the challenges of the Camino day after day (there are not many adults who can either!). My best advice is that you practice at home first and go from there. Buen Camino!

This may or may not be true. But, as you are under age 18, you are still legally a minor in the US, and I believe in Canada too. The easiest thing to do is for each of you to carry a letter, signed by your parents, giving you permission to be where you are. The letter should provide contact e-mail and telephone numbers in case the authorities, starting with the airlines on the departure side give you any hassle. Keep the letter with your passport, and DO NOT keep the passport in your backpack. I recommend a ziploc bag in a side cargo pocket or money belt under clothes.

Also, type, print and carry an itinerary with you and give a copy of it to your parents or friends in the US so they know where and when you will likely be. Perhaps establish a system of checking in at least weekly by e-mail or text.

Finally, if you are traveling together with a friend, work out a system of watching out for each other, and your stuff. whenever you stop along the way. There is nil crime along the Camino. However, in large towns and cities you need to reactivate your "street smarts."

For example, never leave possession unguarded or unsecured. Be careful about flashing anything expensive: cameras, sunglasses, smart phones, etc. Leave expensive jewelry at home. The economy in Spain, and much of Europe is actually worse than in North America. Unemployment is much higher than in the US or Canada. As a result the larger towns and cities do have some people who are looking for small items that can be stolen and resold for cash.

I am not saying this to diminish the excitement of this experience for you. While on Camino, you will be surrounded by other like minded people, who will become your extended Camino Family. They will also watch out for you. Just do not leave your situational awareness or street smarts at home. You can relax while you are walking, then tune in again whenever you stop. Having someone to watch your back is a net plus.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The age of majority in Spain is also 18. You should have documents showing parental consent for treatment. For emergencies the consent is not required, but for other procedures it is. The drinking age is also 18 except in Asturias.

This may or may not be true. But, as you are under age 18, you are still legally a minor in the US, and I believe in Canada too. The easiest thing to do is for each of you to carry a letter, signed by your parents, giving you permission to be where you are. The letter should provide contact e-mail and telephone numbers in case the authorities, starting with the airlines on the departure side give you any hassle. Keep the letter with your passport, and DO NOT keep the passport in your backpack. I recommend a ziploc bag in a side cargo pocket or money belt under clothes.

Also, type, print and carry an itinerary with you and give a copy of it to your parents or friends in the US so they know where and when you will likely be. Perhaps establish a system of checking in at least weekly by e-mail or text.

Finally, if you are traveling together with a friend, work out a system of watching out for each other, and your stuff. whenever you stop along the way. There is nil crime along the Camino. However, in large towns and cities you need to reactivate your "street smarts."

For example, never leave possession unguarded or unsecured. Be careful about flashing anything expensive: cameras, sunglasses, smart phones, etc. Leave expensive jewelry at home. The economy in Spain, and much of Europe is actually worse than in North America. Unemployment is much higher than in the US or Canada. As a result the larger towns and cities do have some people who are looking for small items that can be stolen and resold for cash.

I am not saying this to diminish the excitement of this experience for you. While on Camino, you will be surrounded by other like minded people, who will become your extended Camino Family. They will also watch out for you. Just do not leave your situational awareness or street smarts at home. You can relax while you are walking, then tune in again whenever you stop. Having someone to watch your back is a net plus.

I hope this helps.

Excellent practical advice!

My son walked the camino at age 17. I do not recall him needing any special letters, but that was a long time ago!
Anyway, he had a whale of a time, met some great people, dropped his mobile phone in the toilet, and just generally grew right into manhood in three weeks.
Don't hesitate. Use good sense. Go slow.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I am from the US. Thank you very much! I doing quite a lot of backpacking here in the states so I'm am training hard!

I concur with the others, most of the advice and encouragement was very good. My daughter went to Australia with People-to-People when she was 13. It was a group activity, and had adult chaperons along, but the kids had to be responsible as well. If you do like suggested and ensure you cover all the legal/document angles, you should be okay.

Five days after graduating from high school, at 18, my daughter flew out to the west coast (US) and rode her bicycle back to New Hampshire over 55 days. It was a group event also, with America By Bike. The organization arranges for places to stay and carries the bags, but the riders are pretty much on their own all day, and she did fine with that as well. She stills sees it, 12 years later, as a life-changer.

Do you speak any other languages? Maybe I missed that? Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch and many other languages are all useful on the Camino, it is truly an international mix. My wife, Jane, speaks French, English and Spanish and I speak some German, and we found them all useful.

Safety is excellent on the Camino, and just being aware of surroundings and sticking with other pilgrims should make for a life-changer trip. I'd go for it, just try to eliminate any hurdles before leaving, it will be much more enjoyable. I think you'll find your time on the Camino every bit as valuable as a year in school.

I am from the US. Thank you very much! I doing quite a lot of backpacking here in the states so I'm am training hard!
No need to train that hard to walk the Camino. It's not climbing Everest. I did it the first time at age 52 with no prior training at all, and except for two small blisters on my feet (which healed up in a couple of days) and a couple of sore knees (I was 52 ha ha) I had no real problems or issues at all. It got easier as I went, actually. By the time I reached Santiago I was twenty pounds lighter and in the best shape I had been in years.
At seventeen I think I could have walked the Camino backwards. Youth hath its advantages, ha ha.
Yeah, don't get burned out on training. The Camino is more walk than hike. Not that taxing physically or mentally, but definitely cool.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with the previous posters - you will have a wonderful experience. Not only that, but when you reach SDC you can tell yourself "I can accomplish pretty much any challenge life throws up".

Walking the Camino is not just a physical challenge, it is a mental one too. It is about discarding what is unimportant (eg makeup, social status, the values of others), finding courage, finding kindness and reciprocating, sacrificing short term pleasure for long term gain (get up early and you will beat the heat, don't catch the bus but walk slowly and get fit), experiencing life in the moment and to the full, being tolerant (albergues teach that!), taking every day as it comes, being resourceful and self sufficient, being humble enough to accept help when needed.

Aaaah, I envy you so. To be 17 and walking the Camino! How good is that?

I hope this helps.
Hi Madi --
I think this advice from t2andreo is really good. The idea of the letter is very helpful. Have it notarized and make it look official! Liz

Before I retired from working as a Civil Servant for the US federal government, I was active in the effort to stop international abduction and exploitation of children. My particular position and responsibilities placed me in the role of making fast phone calls on a 24 x 7 basis to a network of contacts across countries to stop flights or interdict passage at ground entry points, to prevent adults from unlawfully taking children out of or into a country, etc. I consider it one of my better assignments. I did manage to have a few wonderful moments when an attempted abduction was stopped at a land crossing or an international airport. So, I am content in that regard, even those these activities were never reported anywhere public.

We worked with representative of various country's law enforcement and intelligence services and international organizations like Interpol to share information, develop procedures and stop these practices. Along the way, we also developed new recommended, standard practices for the various countries to try to promulgate.

Included in these accomplishments was a more or less standard recommendation for minors traveling alone to have permission letters from their legal parent or guardian with contact information to permit rapid verification by officials in any foreign country. This is why I mentioned it in my post above.

We also pursued a recommended standard to require any adult accompanied by a minor to have a similar letter with permission and contact information from the other parent in the case of one parent traveling when the other parent was at home, or both parents, if the minor was without his or her parents. We extended the recommended practice to include related family members or other adult friends, in the case of a minor 'niece' or 'nephew', etc. traveling with an adult "aunt" or "uncle" or "family friend" across borders.

Adoption of these recommendations varies from country to country and within a country from one transportation carrier to another. When I last heard from former colleagues, it was making a difference in some cases. In this, I am reminded of the old saw that says: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..."

Also, for what it is worth, I personally practice this whenever I take minor nieces or nephews on foreign travel with me, or together with my wife. I HAVE been asked for it by airline officials; not regularly, but enough to ensure that I always have the permission letter with me.

Similarly, I always carry an "ICE" document in a waterproof bag. That is a document containing important contact, consular, and personal medical information to be used "In Case of Emergency" (ICE). I use Google Translate to translate the information into the language of the countries I will be traveling in or through. As I frequently travel alone, and I do my Caminos without partners for the most part, this is essential information to carry in case you are injured or arrested for any reason.

I hope this helps the dialog.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before I retired from working as a Civil Servant for the US federal government, I was active in the effort to stop international abduction and exploitation of children. My particular position and responsibilities placed me in the role of making fast phone calls on a 24 x 7 basis to a network of contacts across countries to stop flights or interdict passage at ground entry points, to prevent adults from unlawfully taking children out of or into a country, etc. I consider it one of my better assignments. I did manage to have a few wonderful moments when an attempted abduction was stopped at a land crossing or an international airport. So, I am content in that regard, even those these activities were never reported anywhere public.

We worked with representative of various country's law enforcement and intelligence services and international organizations like Interpol to share information, develop procedures and stop these practices. Along the way, we also developed new recommended, standard practices for the various countries to try to promulgate.

Included in these accomplishments was a more or less standard recommendation for minors traveling alone to have permission letters from their legal parent or guardian with contact information to permit rapid verification by officials in any foreign country. This is why I mentioned it in my post above.

We also pursued a recommended standard to require any adult accompanied by a minor to have a similar letter with permission and contact information from the other parent in the case of one parent traveling when the other parent was at home, or both parents, if the minor was without his or her parents. We extended the recommended practice to include related family members or other adult friends, in the case of a minor 'niece' or 'nephew', etc. traveling with an adult "aunt" or "uncle" or "family friend" across borders.

Adoption of these recommendations varies from country to country and within a country from one transportation carrier to another. When I last heard from former colleagues, it was making a difference in some cases. In this, I am reminded of the old saw that says: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..."

Also, for what it is worth, I personally practice this whenever I take minor nieces or nephews on foreign travel with me, or together with my wife. I HAVE been asked for it by airline officials; not regularly, but enough to ensure that I always have the permission letter with me.

Similarly, I always carry an "ICE" document in a waterproof bag. That is a document containing important contact, consular, and personal medical information to be used "In Case of Emergency" (ICE). I use Google Translate to translate the information into the language of the countries I will be traveling in or through. As I frequently travel alone, and I do my Caminos without partners for the most part, this is essential information to carry in case you are injured or arrested for any reason.

I hope this helps the dialog.
So interesting to read this background, Tom -- I teach family law so I also have worked on child abduction issues -- but of the domestic type.

Hello Madi and Madi's buddy,

There's some good advice above for you to consider.

If I may offer something else I would like to add two things.

1. Help yourself by helping the folks at home to feel you are safe and well by setting up, agreeing to and sticking to a contact the folks at home program. The Camino is safe if you are sensible as you will find out for yourself, but your folks won't be there with you, so make it easy for them.

2. I envy you. I have done many things in my life. I am 62 now and although I have few regrets in my life one of them is not finding the Caminos at your age. Go for it Madi, believe in yourself, trust yourself and embrace the opportunity you have to shape your life.

Buen Camino

Hola Madi & Friend - another vote supporting your decision to follow "the Way of Stars". On top of the really great; practical advice from T2 I would also suggest learning some conversational Spanish (not sure if this was covered above). Whilst there are a number of regional languages in Spain an understanding of basic Castilian will allow you to talk and meet with Spanish teenagers and maybe meet/form life long friends.
Something else just occurred to me - given your ages etc - maybe you should be registered with the US or Canadian Embassies in Madrid.
Start your training - although walking in the Nth American winter will not be fun. Also anytime you have a question - BTW there are not silly/stupid questions here - just start typing. Someone will have an appropriate answer. Buen Camino. :):cool::D

As regards learning Spanish, IMHO the easy way is to obtain the Berlitz phrase book with CD-ROM for Castilian or European Spanish NOT Latin American Spanish. Rip the CD to your computer as you would any music CD you buy to make mp3 files. Then copy the mp3 files to your smart phone. I have used an iPod Touch for my mp3 stuff since the iPod was invented. This allows me to practice as I do my training walks, exercising, taking a nap, or while traveling. The phrase book is good for basic stuff.

You will find that most people on the Camino settle into a form of "Camino Spanish" that focuses on "survival phrases" that any pilgrim will need. You will adapt. But, clearly, it is a form of respect to your temporary host country to at least make the attempt to make basic conversation, exchange greetings, toasts, ask simple questions and understand the answers.

I traveled all over the world for nearly 4o years. Before mp3 players, I just used the Berlitz phrase books. They have never failed me. The newer version, with the CD is a lot better as you can better learn pronunciation and sentence structure.

You will not be reading Cervantes, but you will be a lot more confident. I find that knowing how to say "please," "thank you," and "excuse me, where are the toilettes," in any language goes a LONG way to making travel easier for all.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
(This is posted from my dad's account)
During the Summers of 2013 and 2014 I walked from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostella at aged 15 and 16 respectively.

Never once did I see an age restriction in albergues or in hostels. The legal age in Spain is 16 so I guess they don't really mind. Regarding safety, is say you'd be perfectly fine. I always found that when I was walking by myself people would kind of look out for me or talk/ walk with me.

I think that you just need to be in the same mindset as other pilgrims like don't leave your valuables unguarded, bring your stuff into the showers with you etc...

I hope you have a fab time. The Camino is something that has really changed me as a person and I am so thankful to have experienced it so young

Suzanne

well, you might have to hang out with some boring old people, but they will all benefit from your presence!

I think that it would be a great time, and not a bad thing to put on college admissions applications ---- You'll finish with a self reliant confidence few Freshman have.

My first long trip was a bike ride across Scandinavia when I was 18. It is still one of my favorite trips.

I did it first time on my own with only 6 days of preparation, this summer at the age of 49. Best experience of my life. I never booked an overnight stay except for the first night but found somewhere to stay every night. I ended hook up with a huge variety of fantastic people at different stages. I met a lady who took her three children with her aged 12, 15 and 16 and they had a fantastic time. I met some really inspirational people along the way including a man in his late sixties on his own, who had only half a lung left after surviving lung cancer but still made a good pace, also a 77 year old Japanese man who hardly spoke a word of English let alone any Spanish. It is great thing to learn some Spanish but even if you don't remember most people who don't speak Spanish as their first language rely wholly on English to get them buy on the Camino. English is the de-facto lingua-franca but if you have the time to invest, then learning even a few words of Spanish don't half help. Having said that starting out on your own is a wonderful experience and probably the best way to really immerse yourself in the experience, at 17, if you have the opportunity to persuade another friend to travel with you, it would be even safer and I suspect would alleviate some of the worry your family will naturally feel. 17 isn't too young to do it, if you have a fair bit of self-confidence. Having said that, completing the Camino will defeinitely build your self-confidence and help develop as a person. In the end you will have to make the decision and as you get closer to having to finalise your plans I suspect you will know yourself whether it is right for you to do it this coming year. If you are moved to go this summer, I would definitely take on board the advice in the postings above about how to keep safe and how just as importantly to help minimise any unnecessary worry for your family and friends by keeping in touch on a regular basis. I tried to post on Facebook most evenings, with photos, partly so I would have a way of remembering, partly to entertain my friends but also to reassure family and friends. If you do the same, make sure you bring an extra battery so you always have power for your phone as if you do something every day to keep contact with home and then can't do it one day because of no battery, they will start to worry.

PS I forgot to mention that the last week of the Camino is in Gallicia, where they speak Gallego which is dialect of Gallego-Portuguese not Spanish, so a few words of Portuguese are helpful as well.

There should be no problems walking the Camino at 17. My son hiked the Appalachian Trail solo at 17. Nobody on the trail found anything remarkable about this, and his age was never even commented on by other hikers. I think walking the Camino independent of parents or other guardian figures (or doing any other major undertaking like hiking the Pacific Crest Trail or biking across the United States) is an excellent way for a person to transition into adulthood. Sure there might be misadventures along the way, but those are all part of the maturation process.

Hi! When were you two thinking of starting el camino? I am having the exact same thoughts and concerns as I want to walk this summer after i graduate alone and I am also only 17! Maybe we could meet if our paths happen to cross, good luck :) and buen camino

Hi! When were you two thinking of starting el camino? I am having the exact same thoughts and concerns as I want to walk this summer after i graduate alone and I am also only 17! Maybe we could meet if our paths happen to cross, good luck :) and buen camino
That's sooo nice :) Good move!
And I'm also glad that I contributed to start this conversation. You (both) made my day. Thank you!

Ultreia ;)

Hey,
I was lucky enough to walk The Way last summer after finishing my A Levels (I had just turned 18). I did it solo from St Jean Piere de Port in France to Santiago and had an incredible time. I look pretty young but I had no issues with getting into albergues (or getting served, I don't think I got ID'd once ;) ).
There was one day where I got into a bad situation where I felt incredible scared, but I trusted my instincts and got the hell of the situation and all was fine, I just learnt a valuable life lesson that I was in fact a basically defenseless 5 ft 3 18 year girl, and therefore pretty vulnerable. After that day, the friends I had made basically didn't let me out of their sights for a about a week, it got really annoying but was appreciated.
Overall the Camino was absolutely incredible. I've made friends for life whom I still talk to 7 months after (and whom I am planning on meeting in the States this summer to hike part of the Californian Coastal Trail) and learnt that I can pretty much put myself through anything as long as I know there's a cold Grande Cerveza waiting for me at my destination :)

From physical point of view a 17 year can walk the camino alone.
From social point of view is depends on how you are!
From security point of view you're ok I think.
'Organizationalwise' it should also go fine.
And you still have a year to grow!
So, buen camino!

I am in a similar situation now, 10 years later. I'm seventeen and i want to do the camino this spring. I was wandering if you've encountered any problems if you did it when you were my age?

I am in a similar situation now, 10 years later. I'm seventeen and i want to do the camino this spring. I was wandering if you've encountered any problems if you did it when you were my age?
@nog58 welcome to the forum. @Madi does not seem to have returned to the forum since 2015. However, the helpful responses she received back in 2014 still apply.

If you have specific questions then there are many members here who will be glad to help. Only you will know your own physical capabilities for walking distances day on day carrying your world with you. Many here can help with information about accommodation, routes, safety and the best trainers to wear ( ;))

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.