• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this Valid - or would it be cheating?

BarbC

Time of past OR future Camino
Vigo to SDC - Sept. 2023, Porto to Vigo - 2024
Hi all,
Our last day is going to be 25K from Padron to Santiago - I didn't want to add an extra day due to flight already arranged and limited time. Starting to worry about doing that much walking. If we got too tired say by 20K - could we taxi to Santiago - stay the night because I already have it booked - and then cab back to where we left off and walk into Santiago in the morning. Only doing the last 100K so don't want to screw up. Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes!! Cos you will have walked the required distance no different to if you had booked a hotel at 5km from Santiago but in that five km get 2 stamps from somewhere before the Pilgrim Office

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My view would be if you are only 5k from Santiago it is almost all downhill and being so close to finishing you won't have a problem doing the extra 5K - you will be on a high! However, as others have posted there is no issue about the taxi and then back the next day to finish apart from I'm not sure where you would find a taxi to get you to the finish (apart from making sure you have the phone number for the taxi company).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My view would be if you are only 5k from Santiago it is almost all downhill and being so close to finishing you won't have a problem doing the extra 5K - you will be on a high! However, as others have posted there is no issue about the taxi and then back the next day to finish apart from I'm not sure where you would find a taxi to get you to the finish (apart from making sure you have the phone number for the taxi company).
Agreed - and will try our best - I was just covering any contingencies. Thanks!

Hi all,
Our last day is going to be 25K from Padron to Santiago - I didn't want to add an extra day due to flight already arranged and limited time. Starting to worry about doing that much walking. If we got too tired say by 20K - could we taxi to Santiago - stay the night because I already have it booked - and then cab back to where we left off and walk into Santiago in the morning. Only doing the last 100K so don't want to screw up. Thanks!
I'm sure all will be well, you can pick up a certificate at the tourist office in Padron, (a Padronia) you will need a stamp from the church at the bridge on the way out....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This was my plan B, but I found myself walking with others and the excitement kicked in and I didn’t want to stop!
There’s a bar and shopping centre at the top of the hill at Milladorio where you’d have no problem getting a taxi, it’s still around 7km to the cathedral from there.

If you do decide to keep walking, just after Milladorio the Camino forks, most people take the road to the right which is signed, but the old path goes off to the left, through woods and a village, and is much prettier than trudging down the road. Full directions are in Brierley’s guide.

O Camino is a bar/restaurant 8km from Santiago. The owner, Paco, is an absolute delight and will happily draw you a little map of the "old path" julia-t refers to.
There is no question in my mind that this would be the place to stop, take a coffee (or more) and then ask Paco to order a taxi for you into Santiago. Return there the next day to take another coffee and the continue.
https://www.ocaminomilladoiro.es/
Two questions I have for the forum about stamps (and which may help the OP):
1. If you taxi back-and-forth would you recommend NOT getting two stamps from the same place?
2. Am I right in thinking that if you enter Santiago with only 1 stamp it's not a problem as you can get your final stamp and second stamp for that day at the Pilgrim's Office?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that walk from Padron to Santiago is a "Bear". (May 2023 last 100 km on PC) It is uphill and thru an area of forest roots and rocks right before Teo. And then from Teo you hit a big hill as you start out and again as you first see Santiago in the distance. Catching a cab will be no problem. Just remember to get a stamp where you stop for the night and start in the morning. Padron is an important city on the Camino, don't rush thru it.

1. If you taxi back-and-forth would you recommend NOT getting two stamps from the same place?
The stamps are dated, which alleviates the concern that you were there both evening and morning. If there is still anxiety, get more stamps along that stage, to show progression.

How long will it take to get your compestela, once you arrive in Santiago? How late in the evening of arrival is still feasible to get it that evening?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did not want to walk the full Padron to Santiago so I stayed in Milladoiro. There is an excellent albergue there, very close to the route. It's a lot cheaper than a night in Santiago too! I then had a 7km walk in the morning while I was fresh. I left early and really enjoyed a quiet time in Praza Obradoiro, then watched people arriving.

Hi all,
Yes, from shat I have read and from what others have done, I think it’s acceptable. You have truly walked the distance.

My thoughts on this have been reflected in others comments, but FWIW:

a. what is being proposed seems perfectly fine. I would get two stamps on every day I walked. It won't be difficult to do that.
b. I would consider a couple of other options. Either pushing on a little way past Padron to give me a shorter day into Santiago, or walking from Padron to Milladoiro and then having a really short day into Santiago.

I know some have suggested the excitement will get you over the line. My experience is otherwise, and I now plan not to have more than 15 km, preferably a few less, on the last day coming into Santiago. On the CP, I have found Areal about the right distance, but Teo or Faramello would work too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It sounds reasonable, if I understand your plans correctly. Just make sure to get at least 2 stamps for those last 100 km.

Please see edit below!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Be sure to note a nearby business or other known landmark at the place where you catch the taxi so you can give good instructions on the return

The stamps are dated, which alleviates the concern that you were there both evening and morning. If there is still anxiety, get more stamps along that stage, to show progression.
That's my plan - just get as many stamps as I can find...lol

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in the albergue at Milladoiro and had a nice easy stroll into Santiago in the morning. Got my Compostela before attending 12 o’clock mass in the cathedral.
Yes - that brings me to another question. If we roll in (hopefully not literally) to Santiago in the evening and are tired - we may decide to forego the evening mass. So is it better to go to the office in the morning and get our certificate before we go to the 12:30 mass. When do they read the names out - I kinda wanted to hear my name. Sorry - I'm very AR

When do they read the names out - I kinda wanted to hear my name. Sorry - I'm very AR
Individual names are not read out at the mass - only a list of the countries that pilgrims have come from. At this time of year there are often 2000+ pilgrims arriving per day. Would make for a very long mass to read them all out one-by-one.

It was still a thrill the first time I heard them say, ‘una Peregrina Canadiense de Le Puy’. You have to listen hard as it’s buried among the list nationalities and starting places. I’ve never been able to distinguish myself in the lists on subsequent caminos.

Individual names are not read out at the mass - only a list of the countries that pilgrims have come from. At this time of year there are often 2000+ pilgrims arriving per day. Would make for a very long mass to read them all out one-by-one.
I read this - and mis-interpreted it - when it said list is read of the pilgrims I assumed it was peoples names

"At the start of the mass, as a special welcome to the faithful, a list is read of the pilgrims who have reached Santiago and visited the Pilgrim's Office in the past 24 hours. The list indicates the starting point of the pilgrimage and the pilgrims’ nationality or home province."

A few years back we had a late lunch ( Padron peppers) and then proceeded to Hotel Scala, which was upscale a bit but reasonable and 3 km past Padron, directly on the Camino. Shortened the distance the next day and put us a bit ahead of the large wave.

A few years back we had a late lunch ( Padron peppers) and then proceeded to Hotel Scala, which was upscale a bit but reasonable and 3 km past Padron, directly on the Camino. Shortened the distance the next day and put us a bit ahead of the large wave.
Yikes - I better check that out because I'm actually booked at Hotel Scala for my Padron night - maybe that's a good thing but I guess my 18K from Caldas may be closer to 21 than 18k

Hi all,
It’s an easy walk from Padron to Santiago. I’ve done it twice under 7 hours. If you get tired, you can hop a cab or bus to Santiago. Wherever you stop walking becomes your new starting point to walk on the following day. ~linda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,
The taxi thing is OK. As others have said, you are walking the full 100k. But as an alternative, you can walk past Padron for a few Kms to reduce the final day’s distance. I have done this myself and stayed at the hotel Scala which is on the route.
Padron is one of my favourite towns so do leave time for a look around and perhaps a cooling beverage in the square.

The taxi thing is OK. As others have said, you are walking the full 100k. But as an alternative, you can walk past Padron for a few Kms to reduce the final day’s distance. I have done this myself and stayed at the hotel Scala which is on the route.
Padron is one of my favourite towns so do leave time for a look around and perhaps a cooling beverage in the square.
We are booked at Hotel Scala - I didn't realize it was past the town itself.

Yep, I often have split one of the stages into two (with a taxi back and forth). NO guilt required!
Hello John,
Is it easy to get taxis on the Portuguese Camino? My husband and plan to split up stages several times along the route from Valenca to Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello John,
Is it easy to get taxis on the Portuguese Camino? My husband and plan to split up stages several times along the route from Valenca to Santiago.
Like @trecile, I wonder why one would need to do this. I have walked this section of the CP twice, have found plenty of accommodation that allows me to walk about 20 km/day, and other walking patterns should also work. Of course, if you want to stay in the larger towns, that works to.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine on that last 25K, though I'm not sure it's useful to book so far ahead, unless of course you're treating yourselves to a nice hotel for the projected arrival date.

BTW I *think* the stamp at the pilgrim office should count as one of your 2 stamps/day ...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you'll be fine on that last 25K, though I'm not sure it's useful to book so far ahead, unless of course you're treating yourselves to a nice hotel for the projected arrival date.

BTW I *think* the stamp at the pilgrim office should count as one of your 2 stamps/day ...
we have all our hotels booked because we wanted to be sure ( not flying by the seat of our pants type travellers) and we are using a luggage service so we do have daily targets but we are OK with that.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back