• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is tipping required in Spain?

kacacc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
I have heard different opinions on tipping in restaurants, taxis etc. in Spain. Does anyone know if tipping is required or expected and the percentage?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is not expected as it is in the US, and is therefore much more appreciated, especially in these difficult financial times in Spain .

In a bar it is customary that after a glass of wine or a beer or two maybe several people have coffee together to leave the small change. In those restaurants that pilgrims usually frequent they do not expect a tip however if you are struggling with the menu and the server explains and describes each course refills the wine bottle sure they deserve something. In more fancy places diners who frequent a particular restaurant will tip generously since both sides know there will be a return visit.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm inclined to leave a small tip if there is good table service rather than, say, just getting a drink at the bar. Even then I just round up to the nearest sensible number, so if what we have costs 23.75 Euros I'd round up to 25 Euros. It used to be expected about 20 years ago, but I think it's dying out. As I understand it the service charge is always included in the price by law across the EU now, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Buen Camino!

My Spanish friends told me to leave the brown coins on the table, or the change from banknotes, if it's under a euro or two. The example quoted where one lives the change from E25 for a E23.75 charge sounds typical to me. Where there is extra service in a more upmarket joint, a bit more of a tip is advisable.

Tipping is perhaps more necessary in North America where there are two sets of minimum wage, the lower one for servers; and even more necessary in the US, where most waiters do not have health insurance from their employers. In Europe, minimum wage levels are higher and, in many cases, service is included in the bill. I always astonish my waiter or waiter-history friends when I tell them of the two occasions when I had tips returned to me, with the comment that they were professionals.

The reminder to be generous in donativo albergues is useful, and can't be repeated too often.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It has changed then. I was told not to tip by a Spainish women & bartender in Pamplona. They told me it could be taken wrong by some.
I never did my entire 6 weeks. In the places I returned they never gave me the stink eye in any case... Hopefully a Spanish citizen can confirm the current response.

I always quote George Borrow's "Wild Wales", where he says "Reader, please to bear in mind that all bills must be paid, it is much more comfortable to pay them with a smile than with a frown, and that it is much better by giving sixpence or a shilling to a poor servant, which you will never miss at the year's end, to be followed from the door of an inn by good wishes, than by giving nothing to be pursued by cutting silence."

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tipping is definitely customary in Spain but not "expected".

Just watch what the locals do. They will typically leave the small change after a beer or coffee. 10% after a meal is reasonable and if you can afford to add another € onto your pilgrim's meal then do so. If you can't - no sweat but a few "brown" coins always help.

In Spain, it's very much up to the customer. You will rarely (not sure I have ever) see(n) bills with calculations showing what a 10%, 15% or 20% tip equates to (contrast with US).

Tipping is not required in Spain (neither is it in France, btw), unlike Northern-America. Service is included in your note.
Opposed to an obligation, it's more like a donation that comes from the heart: people tip if they had positive experience, related to the bar/waiter/food/service/...

Just a thought we shared on the Camino with other pilgrims: tipping the same way one does at home is not necessarily helping the locals, even less Spain economy. Although it may be benevolent, it can do more wrong than good.
Giving a big tip because one can may help people a bit, but in the long run, it certainly led to a big raise in the cost of life along the Camino. Ie: a pilgrim menu was ~6€ all included in 2010, it's now often 12€ without wine. The prices one sees on the Frances are not common prices in Spain, they are a lot more expensive, even if one finds it cheap. It's truly an economic "anomaly" in the country that is without any doubt the consequence of "tourism" (not said in an offensive way, just calling a spade a spade: the Way is a tourist site in Spain!).

If you decide to tip, there is no clear rule.
If you're not sure, I'd first advise to ask yourself: "Knowing it's not required and that people are paid for the service I asked for, do I feel like I got more than just that service and, do I feel like showing it through a tip?" Long question, but it's kind of the idea of tipping in Spain/France(/rest of Europe?).
Then, it's a matter of balance... I wonder if too small (-10 cents) is really worth it (or respectful), while too much can be taken as charity. Tough deal!
Here are some ideas, some already mentioned above:
- round it up to the next -5 or -0
- leave "brown" coins (without emptying your pockets!)
- 10 to 50 cents if common and ok; from 51 ( ;) ) to 1€ if nice; from 1 to 2€ is very nice; from 2€ to 5€ it becomes significant; above 5€ you sure won't go unnoticed!
- a big table doesn't mean the tip has to be bigger too
- careful with tipping -% of your note: it obviously won't be the same if you had a coffee or a gourmet menu but it may be too much in the end
- tipping in bars and restaurant is pretty common, less in accommodations
- I'm not a big user of above-albergue accommodations, but it seems it's more usual to leave a tip to the side-service like bar/restaurant/room-service/...

Good luck and happy tips, everyone! ;)

full

Tipping is not required in Spain (neither is it in France, btw), unlike Northern-America. Service is included in your note.
Opposed to an obligation, it's more like a donation that comes from the heart: people tip if they had positive experience, related to the bar/waiter/food/service/...

Just a thought we shared on the Camino with other pilgrims: tipping the same way one does at home is not necessarily helping the locals, even less Spain economy. Although it may be benevolent, it can do more wrong than good.
Giving a big tip because one can may help people a bit, but in the long run, it certainly led to a big raise in the cost of life along the Camino. Ie: a pilgrim menu was ~6€ all included in 2010, it's now often 12€ without wine. The prices one sees on the Frances are not common prices in Spain, they are a lot more expensive, even if one finds it cheap. It's truly an economic "anomaly" in the country that is without any doubt the consequence of "tourism" (not said in an offensive way, just calling a spade a spade: the Way is a tourist site in Spain!).

If you decide to tip, there is no clear rule.
If you're not sure, I'd first advise to ask yourself: "Knowing it's not required and that people are paid for the service I asked for, do I feel like I got more than just that service and, do I feel like showing it through a tip?" Long question, but it's kind of the idea of tipping in Spain/France(/rest of Europe?).
Then, it's a matter of balance... I wonder if too small (-10 cents) is really worth it (or respectful), while too much can be taken as charity. Tough deal!
Here are some ideas, some already mentioned above:
- round it up to the next -5 or -0
- leave "brown" coins (without emptying your pockets!)
- 10 to 50 cents if common and ok; from 51 ( ;) ) to 1€ if nice; from 1 to 2€ is very nice; from 2€ to 5€ it becomes significant; above 5€ you sure won't go unnoticed!
- a big table doesn't mean the tip has to be bigger too
- careful with tipping -% of your note: it obviously won't be the same if you had a coffee or a gourmet menu but it may be too much in the end
- tipping in bars and restaurant is pretty common, less in accommodations
- I'm not a big user of above-albergue accommodations, but it seems it's more usual to leave a tip to the side-service like bar/restaurant/room-service/...

Good luck and happy tips, everyone! ;)

full
Thanks, Marion! I definitely would want to err on the side of tipping too much (the vast majority of my int'l travel being in 3rd world countries) but it's good to have a good handle on what's usual/expected!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just out of curiosity: what are brown coins? 1, 2 and 5 eurocents, or everything under 1 EUR?

And would you actually leave 10 cents or would you say that you don't want to have them as change, ie the sum should be rounded up, and if yes, how would you say that in Spanish?
"Así está bien" is "it's fine like that." Probably the most common way to say it. "Es propina" is "it's a tip," in case you need to explain further.

It has changed then. I was told not to tip by a Spainish women & bartender in Pamplona. They told me it could be taken wrong by some.
I never did my entire 6 weeks. In the places I returned they never gave me the stink eye in any case... Hopefully a Spanish citizen can confirm the current response.

Tipping isn't required. Service is always included in the bill. You may tip if you want/feel so but nobody is going to ask you to tip him/her/them (see below) and, as @oursonpolaire said above, some people might (even) refuse your tip.

You will rarely (not sure I have ever) see(n) bills with calculations showing what a 10%, 15% or 20% tip equates to (contrast with US).

I never saw a bill in Spain including % tip calculations. In fact, I doubt if it would be legal to make such bill. OTOH, as an anecdote, I'll say that I recall the bill on a restaurant saying they didn't accept tips because... I don't recall exactly what it said but something along the lines that if you came back that would be the best proof you were happy with them.

Opposed to an obligation, it's more like a donation that comes from the heart

Yes, although sometimes it's just forced by circunstances (e.g.: you are on a posh restaurant with people that usually tips at posh restaurants and you tip not because you feel it but just because that people may think bad about you if you didn't -or so you think- ) or just a matter of routine/custom (e.g.: you never pick the small change back regardless the level of service you got) or... but, definitely, it's never an obligation.

how would you say that in Spanish?

Quédate con el cambio (if you want to use a tú form) or quédese con el cambio (if you prefer to use a usted form).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This topic comes up now and again, and it is one that leaves many people from the USA, like me, in doubt. My take on things is that no one expects a tip, but they are always appreciated. (The one difference is in upscale/fancy/expensive places, where you are definitely expected to leave a tip, in the 10% range, but most pilgrims don't hit that level too often).

Giving a big tip because one can may help people a bit, but in the long run, it certainly led to a big raise in the cost of life along the Camino. Ie: a pilgrim menu was ~6€ all included in 2010, it's now often 12€ without wine.

I thought a lot of this post was helpful, but I would question the claim that tipping led to a big rise in the cost of living in the camino. I typically walk on untraveled Caminos, where no menu del dia is cheaper than 10 euros (unless you're in a city with competition). I think that a lot of what happens on the Frances is that restauranteurs see an opportunity to offer unremarkable food to a captive audience who think that Spain is cheap -- I doubt that tipping the waiter/waitress who served you that meal made the price go up. In any event, most of the people I walk with do tip some -- but always at lower rates than in the US. I frequently ask for some ice cubes to ice my heel at the end of the day and always throw in an extra euro plus whatever the change is, because it just makes sense to me to thank people who are helpful and willing to go to the extra trouble.

The only time I went to a fancy place in Spain recommended by a man who had just finished his Camino as well. Since he owned a winery were the train reverses direction on the way to Madrid I thought it would be smart to take his advice. My mistake was showing up in my Camino clothes as I was asked to return with more appropriate attire. :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.