• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Itinerario inglés de Purchas his Pilgrimes

Caminando

Veteran Member
No I'd never heard of it - you may have! And no capital on the i of inglés.

I was looking thru a Spanish history journal "La Aventura de la Historia", picked up in SDC in Nov. My Spanish is minimal, but in the article on the Camino, I came across a mention of this route.

It starts in Plymouth, England, lands in Brest, then thru Nantes, La Rochelle, Bordeaux, Bayonne, Santander, Gijon, Ribadero, Vilalba, Melide to SDC. The editor of the published guide (1625) to this route is Samuel Purchas. It seems to follow a mainstream way from the Atlantic ports, but the name is new.

Another camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was curious and looked this up.

It seems Samuel Purchas wrote a five-volume series (or four volumes plus one, depending how you look at it) called "Purchas his Pilgrimes" or "Hakluytus Postumus." They're mostly about European voyages of exploration, but he writes on religious themes, and the fifth book is about world religions. So presumably your route is described in them--somewhere.

You can go through the first four volumes here and the fifth volume here. It would be a lot of work, though, since they're scanned pages and some are hard to read. I did look through the tables of contents, but didn't see anything helpful.

There are digitized versions of the first few volumes available, too, but they don't seem to mention the pilgrimage. And then, of course, you can buy the original set of books ... for $200,000.

I'm curious now too ... but not, I have to admit, enough to look through thousands of pages.

Anna-Marie

Hi AM

The issue number of the history mag is Ano 12, No 141.

The mention is very brief, but does show the route on a map of Europe wide medieval pilgrimage.
:D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks!

It would be neat to see what Purchas says about it in the book, though. It's one of those fun really old books full of opinions and weird spellings and f's instead of s's.

Anna-Marie said:
Thanks!

It would be neat to see what Purchas says about it in the book, though. It's one of those fun really old books full of opinions and weird spellings and f's instead of s's.

Yes old Sam seems like one of those tour operators I'm so much against! An early travel agent interfering with experience.

Mind you, in his century, it must have been a much more alien experience than in our day. We have so much in our favour nowadays. It's easy in comparison.

PS I wonder by what route his books ended up across the Atlantic!! Sam would have been amazed.
PPS What an appropriate surname for someone selling something...

Buen camino!
e ultreia

Yes old Sam seems like one of those tour operators I'm so much against! An early travel agent interfering with experience.

Mind you, in his century, it must have been a much more alien experience than in our day. We have so much in our favour nowadays. It's easy in comparison.

Yeah, I don't know what it was like in the 17th century, but in the 12th century I'd be all for that first Camino guidebook that's found in the Codex Calixtenus, mainly because I'd prefer to avoid experiences like drinking from poisonous rivers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anna-Marie said:

Yeah, I don't know what it was like in the 17th century, but in the 12th century I'd be all for that first Camino guidebook that's found in the Codex Calixtenus, mainly because I'd prefer to avoid experiences like drinking from poisonous rivers.

The poisoned rivers, your horses dropping dead from drinking it and immediately being skinned on the spot always struck me as wild tales. Likewise his judgements of the different peoples he met - wacky stuff, but good fun to read!

If you enjoy history and don't already know this book, I suggest Jonathan Sumption's "Pilgrimage".

If you enjoy history and don't already know this book, I suggest Jonathan Sumption's "Pilgrimage".

Thanks! I'll have to check that one out.

I really am a total history geek. Even studied it at university.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back