• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oregonian article about octogenarian pilgrim and his son

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Posting this because I happen to know the father and son, and the author of the article!

I've known Mark since before he walked his first Camino to celebrate his 75th birthday. I've only walked with Mark a few days on the Camino - one year I had extra time at the end of my Camino and I took a bus back to Gonzar to walk a few days with him. When I first saw him with his 21 liter backpack I asked if he was having a larger pack transported. Nope. Somehow this 6+ foot tall man manages to carry everything that he needs in 21 liters. He also can outwalk pilgrims less than half his age. He is definitely an inspiration to me, and proof of what older people are capable of.

This year I was walking the Primitivo while Mark was on the Francés. When I was getting close to Santiago I wrote to Mark and asked him where he was - it turned out that he would be on the same stage as me when I joined the Francés! We didn't connect that day, but the following day my little Primitivo group was staying at Albergue Astrar just outside of Santa Irene. We were the only four in the albergue. Then Mark called and asked where I was. I told him Santa Irene, then he asked if there was room at the albergue. Was there room? Yes, almost the entire albergue was free! So Mark and Brad joined us, we ordered pizza, which the hospitalero/owner picked up for us, and had a grand time in our practically private albergue.

Mark just absolutely loves the Camino Francés. I think that he tried the Portuguese route one year, but comes back to the Francés year after year. He loves staying in public albergues, doesn't make reservations, and always carries his own pack. He loves the "sounds of the Camino" including the sounds of sleeping pilgrims in the albergues. Before his first or second Camino he called me from the airport, and told me how he was thinking about all of the other pilgrims that he had yet to meet traveling from all parts of the world who would soon be his friends. His love for the Camino is contagious!

I've known Janet, the author of the article, since she joined our local American Pilgrims chapter about a year ago. She walked part of the Invierno with a friend this year. Neither Janet nor Mark knew that they had a connection through me until they did the interview.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey I am 83 and six weeks ago walked the Inglis with my son and his family. Walked the CF from SJPP at 75, the Portuguese from Lisbon at 76, the Primitivo at 79 and the Sanabres when I was 80.
There are plenty of people in their 80s walking the Caminos. I hope to be one of the few who walk the Ways in their 90s.

Pilgrims walking in their 80's is really not that unusual.
We have many here in the forum. :cool:
Whether it is just a handful or hundreds and especially if it is hundreds, reading about pilgrims walking in their 80’s is really inspiring and should give all of us a light to guide us into the last chapter of life and inspiration that it can be fulfilling. I was in a cafe in Canfranc having a coffee when a woman with a backpack walked by. The waitress told me she met her the day before and she was 93!!! Whenever I huffed and puffed walking up a hill I thought I’d her and sucked it up and got to the top.

Posting this because I happen to know the father and son, and the author of the article!

I've known Mark since before he walked his first Camino to celebrate his 75th birthday. I've only walked with Mark a few days on the Camino - one year I had extra time at the end of my Camino and I took a bus back to Gonzar to walk a few days with him. When I first saw him with his 21 liter backpack I asked if he was having a larger pack transported. Nope. Somehow this 6+ foot tall man manages to carry everything that he needs in 21 liters. He also can outwalk pilgrims less than half his age. He is definitely an inspiration to me, and proof of what older people are capable of.

This year I was walking the Primitivo while Mark was on the Francés. When I was getting close to Santiago I wrote to Mark and asked him where he was - it turned out that he would be on the same stage as me when I joined the Francés! We didn't connect that day, but the following day my little Primitivo group was staying at Albergue Astrar just outside of Santa Irene. We were the only four in the albergue. Then Mark called and asked where I was. I told him Santa Irene, then he asked if there was room at the albergue. Was there room? Yes, almost the entire albergue was free! So Mark and Brad joined us, we ordered pizza, which the hospitalero/owner picked up for us, and had a grand time in our practically private albergue.

Mark just absolutely loves the Camino Francés. I think that he tried the Portuguese route one year, but comes back to the Francés year after year. He loves staying in public albergues, doesn't make reservations, and always carries his own pack. He loves the "sounds of the Camino" including the sounds of sleeping pilgrims in the albergues. Before his first or second Camino he called me from the airport, and told me how he was thinking about all of the other pilgrims that he had yet to meet traveling from all parts of the world who would soon be his friends. His love for the Camino is contagious!

I've known Janet, the author of the article, since she joined our local American Pilgrims chapter about a year ago. She walked part of the Invierno with a friend this year. Neither Janet nor Mark knew that they had a connection through me until they did the interview.
Thank you, Terri, for posting this along with your incredible insight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back