• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Itinerary and places to rest?

LindaH82

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Not sure whether to post this in the Espirituel or not since I start on the Coastal route so I decided to just post it in the general forum. Sorry if it's wrong!

I posted a few days ago about my plans to walk the Portuguese Coastal Route in september/october 2021 (still not 100% sure on the exact dates; any tips? Do note that my birthday is on October 4th and I'm still not sure whether I want to celebrate it on the Camino - maybe I should aim on reaching Santiago then, haha). Since I have a disability, I decided to go for comfort, and so I asked Caminoways to set an itinerary and book hotels/hostels for me so I will be sure of a place to sleep that's not a bunk bed.
But I'm now fiddling with the itinerary, especially, are there any places to spend an extra day to rest up? Here is my itinerary so far. Do mind that I will walk shorter stages because of my disability.

* Fly into Porto from Amsterdam, then take a bus from Porto to Vigo, which is my starting place.
* Vigo to Redondela (15 km)
* Redondela to Arcade (8 km)
* Arcade to Pontevreda (12 km)
* Spend an extra day in Pontevreda to rest and see the sights.
* Pontevreda to Combarro (10 km)
* Combarro to Caroi/Vilar (11 km)
* Vilar to Vilanova de Arousa (24 km - might do part of this by taxi, not entirely sure yet; will most likely have my backpack transported so as to safe energy)
* Vilanova de Arousa to Padron by boat! (uhh like 3km haha)
* Spend an extra day in Padron???
* Padron to Teo (12 km)
* Teo to Santiago (13 km)
* Day in Santiago to get my Compostela and see the sights
* Daytrip to Muxía/Fisterra from Santiago by bus
* Back to Porto by bus (?), either spend a few more days in Porto or fly back to Amsterdam directly.

That gives me slightly over 2 weeks 'on the road' so to speak. Does that sound reasonable? Are Pontevreda and Padron good places to take a rest day? Yeah I know, not prebooking gives me more flexibility blahblah, but I like the security of knowing there'll be a place to sleep for me. :p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it’s fine. HIghly recommend the Wise Pilgrim app and/or book for details on amenities etc. Used it on the CP last year (inland because the coastal shut due to bad weather when I was there), and have used on CF in 2014 and 2018... no dogma, good history, great resources for accommodations, and very up-to-date because the creator lives in Spain and updates frequently.
There’s an interview that Ivar posted just the other day with the “Wise Pilgrim”. Very good.

Not sure whether to post this in the Espirituel or not since I start on the Coastal route so I decided to just post it in the general forum. Sorry if it's wrong!

I posted a few days ago about my plans to walk the Portuguese Coastal Route in september/october 2021 (still not 100% sure on the exact dates; any tips? Do note that my birthday is on October 4th and I'm still not sure whether I want to celebrate it on the Camino - maybe I should aim on reaching Santiago then, haha). Since I have a disability, I decided to go for comfort, and so I asked Caminoways to set an itinerary and book hotels/hostels for me so I will be sure of a place to sleep that's not a bunk bed.
But I'm now fiddling with the itinerary, especially, are there any places to spend an extra day to rest up? Here is my itinerary so far. Do mind that I will walk shorter stages because of my disability.

* Fly into Porto from Amsterdam, then take a bus from Porto to Vigo, which is my starting place.
* Vilar to Vilanova de Arousa (24 km - might do part of this by taxi, not entirely sure yet; will most likely have my backpack transported so as to safe energy)
* Padron to Teo (12 km)
* Back to Porto by bus (?), either spend a few more days in Porto or fly back to Amsterdam directly.

That gives me slightly over 2 weeks 'on the road' so to speak. Does that sound reasonable? Are Pontevreda and Padron good places to take a rest day? Yeah I know, not prebooking gives me more flexibility blahblah, but I like the security of knowing there'll be a place to sleep for me. :p
I would keep the general plan, but book accommodations a day or two ahead.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are Pontevreda and Padron good places to take a rest day? :p
I would say yes to Pontevedra but no to Padrón, which I thought was less interesting and you'll have enough time to see the sights the day you arrive, especially given it'll be a short day with the boat. Looking at your itinerary, my suggestion would be to spend a second day in Santiago instead.

I just walked the Variante Espiritual and loved it so I'm sure you will too! Buen camino!

Hi Linda!
Just listened to your post;i think you should be called Wise Linda; from what you said in your first post this sounds like it's well within the limitations you set for yourself and very doable.
This will make for a much happier and enjoyable walk!
We both have a year to sort things and no doubt we will both make changes before we are happy with the final result.
I think i defo need shorter stages!

I have the Wise Pilgrim app, (obviously not used it yet but i like the options and ease of use.)
I also have a step by step audio guidebook from Cicerone press called The Camino Portuguese from Lisbon and Porto to Santiago by Kat Davis it's downloaded to my phone and tablet and has great detail of whats around you on the walk( this is only my opinion, but i am hoping it will stop me doing extra kms by getting lost although wont know till i do it.)

I don't have any real time limit for the walk as being a pensioner my time is my own; f you have no time constraints I would defo spend extra days in Porto ( i have 3 nights there;it's got loads to do,again watch vids on YouTube)and Santiago is a must.
I also have two nights booked in Padron but might change that after Jungleboy's comment as i forgot i will only have a short walk from boat and so close to the end and Santiago.
Lets just hope we get to do it.
All the best Woody

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@woody66 thank you so much for calling me wise! I sometimes feel very stupid trying to navigate and plan this unknown adventure called the Camino, haha. Am definitely going to download the Wise Pilgrim app, sounds very useful.
And yes, let's hope we get to do it! It's a year from now, *surely* things will be back to semi-normal by then...?

@jungleboy does have a very good point that the 'boat day' will be a almost a non walking day in itself, so an extra day in Santiago will be a better idea. Gives me more flexibility with my daytrip to Muxia/Finisterre, too.

And yes I am definitely planning on adding a few days in Porto afterwards! :D

I can recommend the Poet's Inn in Porto.
It is right on the Camino route and very centrally located.
Don't miss the Se Cathedral and the Soares dos Reis National Art Museum as well as the Musea da Misericordia in the church by the same name. All just a short walk from the Poet's Inn. 40 Euros for a nice private room (they have 10 rooms--all named after authors - I stayed in the Edgar Rice Burroughs room on the top floor.) Very cool place! Pictures of famous authors on the walls. Nice free breakfast in the common room.

No shame in taking a taxi to cut down a long leg - I did it several times on all three on my Caminos -In fact I arrived in Porto by taxi after walking most of the Portuguese Route from Lisbon. Gave me an extra day to see that great city and I avoided the urban congested approach into Porto. I tried never to walk more than 20 km in a day- then again I was 65 years old at the time.

Looks like a good plan to me - remember it is not the Bataan Death March - and you don't have to stay in Stalag 17 in a bunk bed with 25 other pilgrims.
(If I was a college student--- I would not mind the shared accommodations that many pilgrims use - but as an old guy...well not ideal for me. I need my sleep!)

Accommodations are super cheap and you will get a pilgrim rate if you ask at many places. I averaged 25-50 Euros for private rooms on the Portuguese.- pamper yourself with nice accommodations and good restaurants. Stop and smell the flowers and see the sights. DISCOVER!

Last edited:
I think that given your circumstances and the fact that you need an added layer of security than you should go with the plan that you have in place. I would make two suggestions to you. First, of course take your time. and listen to your body. I am sure this is something you have been doing for a long time. If you get tired rest. If your body is telling you to stop than call a taxi with your location. Speak to the hostel/hotel owners each night to get information about taxis. Many people in Portugal have decent English skills. Maybe if you are on a stretch that you do not know you can call the hotel you stayed at the night before, send them your location on Wattsapp and they can contact a taxi to get you. When you are in Spain I would make sure you download the ALertCops app. If you have a problem it will connect you with an English speaking police officer who can assist you. It has a GPS so if your phone is on they can locate you. I have no disability except myself and I always download the app. I always get a Spanish SIM card from Orange (their package for 20 euros per month) works best for my needs so I have a Spanish telephone number. I believe it works just fine if you have an EU cell plan. But I am not sure about this or if you have plans from other countries outside the EU. I am sure it is easy to find out.
I hope that this gives you an added layer of comfort for your first camino
PS Give yourself a few extra days if you can. I always plan for more days than I need and then even add a couple of more. I walk long caminos so the longer you walk the tougher it is to guesstimate. If you have the luxury of a little more time what is the worst thing that can happen if you have an extra 3 or 4 days??? Not much you are in Spain, enjoy it. You can spend a couple of days in Santiago. You can go to Muxia when you go to the end of the world. You can hope on a bus and be in Lugo in a couple of hours or A Coruna in about an hour. I am sure you will find wonderful things to do to fill that extra time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your replies! @Terry Callery the Poets Inn looks GREAT, definitely keeping it in mind! And yeah, thank God it's not a death march haha. It's going to be a challenge but it's not supposed to be a punishment.

@It56ny Good tip about the app! Yeah, being European I will be able to use my cell phone on my own plan, but being prepared never hurts. :)

Linda, I (and 7 other pilgrims over the age of 60, with various challenges) are planning to walk the CP (Porto-Santiago) in May 2021 (keeping my fingers crossed). Planning on the Coastal/Espiritual route, 13 days, no rest days. I booked with Walk the Camino and used them for the CF in 2019 and found the accommodations, baggage transfer and route to my liking. My birthday is 6 Oct, and finished the CF on that date - it was a great way to celebrate with new friends in Santiago. Spend the extra days in Santiago, it is a beautiful city to explore.

Man, everybody is so flippin' NICE here. :D If the Camino is anything like this, no wonder people want to go back!
@Dojo keeping my fingers crossed for May 2021 for you!

My birthday is on a Monday next year (October 4th) and I really do want to spend Friday in Santiago for the evening mass. Gah. Complicated! BUT! I *just* booked my trip, so I'm going in September. :D Leaving Vigo on September 18th, arriving in Santiago on September the 28th, and leaving for Porto on October 2th, a Saturday. Although now I'm reconsidering my dates again, haha. Maybe I should arrive on Friday the 1st, then have Monday the 4th be my last day in Santiago so I can celebrate my birthday there instead of in Porto, on my own.... Are shops etc closed on Sundays in Santiago? Hm.
Why is this so haaaard. :p Well. I still have nearly a year to reconsider, so. Excited!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The people who are convinced that they have all the answers are - well - lets say they not really enlightened.

Yes the people on this web- site are authentic - spiritual warriors - searchers.

We are not the objects of our awareness - the things our monkey mind attached itself, We are pure awareness itself - do a walking mediation for 20 days and you will dial down to you you authentic self - not the BS narrative in your Facebook page.

It is the people who asking the questions who are enlightened - not the people with the "one size fits all" answers.

Hope you can do your Camino - it transforms you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

* Padron to Teo (12 km)

Both Pontevedra and Pardon can merit an extra day. There is a ton to see and do in Pontevedra. Padron is a very important place in the story of St. James (whom we are all walking to see) and I think it is worthwhile to take the time in Padron to see the Jacobean sites. That said, if you are leaving Vilanova in the morning and just travelling the short distance by boat to Padron that day, instead of spending a half-day or day walking there, you may not need an extra day to see the sites. I think you might find it worthwhile to reallocate that extra day to one more day in Santiago. Santiago will reward more than just a day or two's visit.

Another option is to use a taxi, not to cut out a section of the walk between Vilar to Vilanova de Arousa but to split it into two days. Walk half the distance one day. Take a taxi back to Vliar or ahead to Vilanova for the night. Then take the taxi back to where you stopped walking and walk the rest of the way to Vilanova on the next day. If you skip the rest day in Padron, you are still taking the same number of days for your journey. And this way you get to walk it all (especially if a Compostela is important to you).

I also very much agree with lt56ny's postscript:
PS Give yourself a few extra days if you can. I always plan for more days than I need and then even add a couple of more. I walk long caminos so the longer you walk the tougher it is to guesstimate. If you have the luxury of a little more time what is the worst thing that can happen if you have an extra 3 or 4 days???

For what it's worth, I have the same birthday as you and in 2018 I had my birthday on the Camino Portugues, although I set it up that I was at Casa da Fernanda for my birthday, which was certainly memorable. :cool: Personally, I think you will enjoy your birthday much more in the company of pilgrims than alone in Porto.

Last edited:
  • Good choice about doing one of the easy Caminos like the Portuguese. It's really flat. Way easier

( In Physics foot/pound is the amount of weight elevated each foot. Lifting 135 pounds 2 feet = 170 foot/pounds.)

The Primitivo in the Cantabrian Mountains (perhaps one of the hardest routes) will kill you --Continual elevations. -too much of a rollercoaster! i.e. too much work as defined by physics. Go on a flatter route! The first leg of the French Route elevates up the Pyrenees from Saint Jean 1200 meters - that's a lot of Work (physics) = 3600 feet X a 135-pound woman =46,880 foot/pounds of work

• . The first leg on the Portuguese to Vilarinho stays at just 100 meters above sea level the entire 25 kilometers. Almost no work as defined by physics. Like 90 percent less.

2) I was 63 when it did the Central Portuguese (PS the food is much better in Portugal and the people are really friendly) And trained 8 miles/ day near the end of my 2-month workouts.

3) Think about Chi Walking -because it is not poor muscle strength that will make you tied, it is poor balance and alignment. Walk from your center, not pushing with you extremities. Glide- don't push. Allow yourself to be pulled along.

4) Walk focused - do not amble along - you are a needle - strong and aligned and balanced - the extremities are light like cotton. Shorter steps. Don't compete with others - be more Zen --don't walk with folks going at a faster pace --it will burn you out. Don't feel like you have to join a Camino Family. Socialize at the Albergues, not on the route. Don't try to walk and talk at the same time. Deep slow rhythmic breathing and talking are mutually exclusive. Dump the cell phone and iPad.

• 5) I always get flack when I tell folks that Chi Walking doesn't really work with poles- too much transfer of energy to the extremities- less focus on the center. Poles are terrific for many Pilgrims. But they increase the cardio, and tire out the arms and shoulders. but they are not ideal for Chi Walkers - they are for Western type walkers with a Western approach to achievement. And most pilgrims use them and think they are great. Your extremities are light like cotton, if you push with poles you are making you arms work (again a Chi Walking approach and not for everybody)
    Don't push your way through so many miles. Empty out the ego. For many like me, it is the great lesson on the Camino. Find your physical center - you will find you spiritual center.

6) Why can a 70-year-old Judo master win tournaments against a much younger stronger opponent? Because he has perfect balance and alignment.
    You are too focused on your strength - please focus on balance, centeredness and correct alignment.

7) Stop at places between the official stops - less crowded. If there is a 28-kilometer stretch - take a taxi for part of it. Know your limits. Take a really light pack--- Like 15 pounds.

8) Hydrate - stop and take in the beauty. Be at one with nature.

9) Most importantly listen to the GREAT SILENCE - hard to do if you have the 7 people in a Camino Family staying together the whole time. It is the one opportunity to be alone with yourself. Sure you can pick up a walking companion from time to time - but I walked totally alone for 90 percent of 100 days on three Caminos. Don't be afraid to be alone -Spain has 17 % of the crime as in Florida. Take a loud police whistle - blow three times - it is a easy defense against any danger. Driving your car in Florida is a much greater threat to your personal safety than walking the Camino.

10) Achieving those miles will help you heal-- and it will give you the psychological strength to overcome your doubts and fears. You will become a WARRIOR Woman

My favorite 2 towns along your route were Pontevedra & Valencia. Padron looked nice, but Valencia just intrigued me more. Tui is right beside Valencia so you could stay in either and check out both.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My favorite 2 towns along your route were Pontevedra & Valencia. Padron looked nice, but Valencia just intrigued me more. Tui is right beside Valencia so you could stay in either and check out both.

I know of course that you mean Valença , the city at the border of Spanish Tui. Valencia is on the other side of Spain.

Valença and Pontevedra are indeed gorgeous towns!

I walked through Valencia about 2 pm and the place was crawling with tourist - it is very commercialized inside the Fort with folks selling cheep goods from China!
After the tour buses leave at 4pm the place becomes a lot more romantic and historic.
I crossed the bridge into Tui and stayed at the Paradore - my first after 70 days on three different Caminos.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all for your comments, very inspiring and helpful! I decided to take a rest day in Pontevreda, so I'm spending two nights there. I even got an early-booking offer to upgrade my accomodation so I'll be spending those two nights in a slightly more upscale hotel/hostel. Hope they'll have a bath to soak in. :p

@David Tallan I got in contact with CaminoWays and rebooked my dates. I'm now arriving on Friday October 1th, so I will hopefully be able to attend mass in the evening. I'm leaving on Tuesday October 5th, meaning I will be able to celebrate my birthday, October 4th, in Santiago! Perhaps not with peregrino friends (although who knows!) but it will be special to celebrate it there all the same. :) I was in Assisi 4 years ago for my birthday, and even though I was alone it was very special to be there on that day of religious significance. OK it helps that on October 4th, Assisi is absolutely teeming with celebrations for 'their' St Francis. :p

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back