• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Itinerary for 3 routes and sellos.

Hal

Time of past OR future Camino
si
Due to the relatively short period I have to walk (and also because I was fortunate enough to be given and and French courses for Christmas!), wanting to make the most of the various scenery and enjoying different parts of the country and wishing to do the final 100km to Santiago, my tentative plans are to do bits and bobs of the various ways in 2016:

Via Podiensis:
Aumont-Aubrac to Figeac
Detour to Lourdes

Camino Frances:
SJPP to Pamplona

Camino Ingles:
Ferrol to Santiago

Am I crazy to do bits of 3 different routes? Or after walking in France, does anyone advocate me skipping the bit over the Pyrenees and simply walking from Leon to Santiago?

I was considering going from Sarria to Santiago after the SJPP-Pamplona leg, but it seems the vibe is rather different, and in the future, when I have more time, I can continue my journey straight from Pamplona to Santiago-Finisterre. It may be a little less social as I won't really be able to bump into various people over many stages, but that's ok.

Additionally (I thought I'd plug this bit here, but I'll ask in the Camino Ingles forum if anyone objects) is it difficult finding sellos in the smaller places on the Ingles? I understand a lot of the churches are closed at various times and it is less usual to get them in bars and the like. I'd hate to not receive my Compostella because I could not get a stamp in a town or two.

Cheers!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The main problem I see with your plan is that every time you switch Caminos you will lose your new-won Camino friends/family and also the sense of continuity (moving at a walkers pace towards a goal) will be less. Buen Camino, SY

Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem
Different strokes for different folks. It's your Camino and you can split, carry on, or jump about as you choose! In my opinion, Lourdes is a very sad place, too commercial, and too much, far too much human suffering all around causing the visit to be quite depressing unless you are seeking help at the shrine or you have an interest in Bernadette Soubirous. If a detour then do consider Rocamadour!!! From Figeac there are trains north to the station, a short 2.5 kilometer walk through the woods and you are there in one of the most amazing places, ancient church, Black Madonna, albergue run by the good nuns, and much natural beauty.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem
Different strokes for different folks. It's your Camino and you can split, carry on, or jump about as you choose! In my opinion, Lourdes is a very sad place, too commercial, and too much, far too much human suffering all around causing the visit to be quite depressing unless you are seeking help at the shrine or you have an interest in Bernadette Soubirous. If a detour then do consider Rocamadour!!! From Figeac there are trains north to the station, a short 2.5 kilometer walk through the woods and you are there in one of the most amazing places, ancient church, Black Madonna, albergue run by the good nuns, and much natural beauty.

Hi @scruffy1 in beautiful Jerusalem! There's something to that. In my extremely brief readings on Lourdes at Tripadvisor, it seems massively expensive. I guess that the sheer volume of visitors who are willing to pay results in the relative death of budget accommodation. Rocamadour sounds like a more tempting proposition. A friend wrote a thesis on Black Madonnas (I came across one quite by accident last year in São Paulo).

The main problem I see with your plan is that every time you switch Caminos you will lose your new-won Camino friends/family and also the sense of continuity (moving at a walkers pace towards a goal) will be less. Buen Camino, SY

That is my main concern, @SYates . I'm walking for myself, but there's also a sense of enforced isolation in the lack of continuity which may feel more tiring than if I stayed on one route. And, to get from Pamplona to Ferrol, there's a long trip via Madrid.
For walking in Spain, what would you recommend I do? (Just batting ideas around).

Here is a slightly different spin on a route. I'm walking from Burgos to Astorga (because I love the Meseta) then taking a train from Astorga to A Coruna to be able to walk from Ferrol to Santiago. Johnnie Walker has written a great guide on this forum and I have no doubt there is an issue about finding sellos along the way. Totally agree with Scruffy regarding the commercialization of Lourdes, it is a sad place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Due to the relatively short period I have to walk (and also because I was fortunate enough to be given and and French courses for Christmas!), wanting to make the most of the various scenery and enjoying different parts of the country and wishing to do the final 100km to Santiago, my tentative plans are to do bits and bobs of the various ways in 2016:

Via Podiensis:
Aumont-Aubrac to Figeac
Detour to Lourdes

Camino Frances:
SJPP to Pamplona

Camino Ingles:
Ferrol to Santiago

Am I crazy to do bits of 3 different routes? Or after walking in France, does anyone advocate me skipping the bit over the Pyrenees and simply walking from Leon to Santiago?

I was considering going from Sarria to Santiago after the SJPP-Pamplona leg, but it seems the vibe is rather different, and in the future, when I have more time, I can continue my journey straight from Pamplona to Santiago-Finisterre. It may be a little less social as I won't really be able to bump into various people over many stages, but that's ok.

Additionally (I thought I'd plug this bit here, but I'll ask in the Camino Ingles forum if anyone objects) is it difficult finding sellos in the smaller places on the Ingles? I understand a lot of the churches are closed at various times and it is less usual to get them in bars and the like. I'd hate to not receive my Compostella because I could not get a stamp in a town or two.

Cheers!
My Take
I have completed 3 CF and 1 Norte. Along these routes I have met many men and women who were doing their Camino in stages for example two weeks every year. Very close to 100% of these people were extremely emotional when faced with leaving at the end of their term.
I would also point out that you will never be able to recreate the experience each time that you go. That being said just make sure your decisions include those factors for consideration. Also flexibility is key. If you are enjoying the first part consider staying on as long as possible. If not bail out and try another but do so early enough to give you time to experience it.
My preference is stay on one route. If you are a typical Perigrino you will not regret it. And when you arrive at the start of your journey throw your planning sheet away. I guarantee it will be irrelevant. Let the Camino guide you.
Buen Camino
Jim

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to walk 3 different routes and take in different stretches and places but do not underestimate the value of just walking from point A to B. Its easy to recommend various places to visit for what ever reason, but that bit of soul growth ( if you believe in it) which comes in totally mundane places and comes from the process of just walking is harder to recommend - but it is there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.