• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Your gracious opinions on my itinerary for 1st 10 days from Pamplona

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I would be very grateful if other pilgrims reviewed and critiqued my plan for the first days of my trip to Spain and my first Camino (please see below). I am amazed at the generosity you show to new pilgrims and I do not wish to over-ask. Please forgive me if it is so. I appreciate opinions regarding the beginning days of my upcoming Camino (fall 2023). I made an itin to provide myself structure. I hope plans fly out the window somewhere around walking day #5 and spontaneity will live!

I tend to experience prolonged jetlag, so I could be recovering into the first day of walking (my 5th day in Spain). For initial planning, I altered my original journey over the distance from Pamplona to SDC to perhaps finishing this Camino in Sarria. It depends upon how long I am able to remain in Spain. I want to begin slowly but maybe this is too slow? Any specific suggestions for lodging, route, etc? I know I will gain knowledge from others on The Way but seeing the first week or so with more clarity reduces my fretfulness. Gracias and Buen Camino dear Pilgrims.

Day 1: Arrive Madrid. Madrid overnight.
Day 2: Fly from Madrid to Pamplona airport. Proceed to lodging in Pamplona.
Day 3 & 4: Acclimate & recover in Pamplona. Obtain supplies.
Day 5: Bus or walk FROM PAMPLONA to CIZUR MENOR or ZIZUR MAYO
Day 6 (day 1 walking): ZIZUR MAYOR or CIZUR MENOR TO ALTO DEL PERDON (9.2KM 2hrs)
Day 7 (day 2 walking): ALTO DEL PERDON TO PUENTA LA REINA (9-10KM; 2-2.5hrs)
Day 8/3: PUENTA LA REINA TO CIRAUQUI (9-10KM) or DE LORCA (12KM; 2.5-3hrs)
Day 9/4: CIRAUQUI (9-10KM 2-2.5hrs) OR DE LORCA TO ESTELLA (12KM 2.5-3hrs
Day 10/5: ESTELLA or VIANA EXTRA NIGHT STAY
Day 11/6: ESTELLA TO LORCA (8-9KM) or LUQUIN (10-11KM) or CIRAQUI (14K; 3hrs
Day 12/7: LUQUIN TO LOS ARCO (10KM)
Day 13/8: LOS ARCO TO TORRES DEL RIO (7.3KM) or VIANA (18.3KM; 4hrs)
- Walk Camino from VIANA to eastern outskirts of Logrona, (approx. 10km?)
- Take bus around Logrona to western outskirts. Rejoin Camino to NAVARRETE
Day 14/9: NAVARRETE TO NAJERA (15-16KM 3HRS)
Day 15/10: NAJERA TO ALESANCO-detour CANAS – to Santo Domingo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good idea to take it easy at first, especially as you suffer from jet lag (tell me about it, it's a 23 hr flight from where I am to Spain). But I am fairly sure you will speed up after the first week, 20+ kms could be well within your capacity by then. The bigger the town, the more easily you can find accommodation. Use Gronze (the Spanish website, you can Google translate into English) to get up to date info so you can adapt your plans as you go along. Buen Camino

I would be very grateful if other pilgrims reviewed and critiqued my plan for the first days of my trip to Spain and my first Camino (please see below). I am amazed at the generosity you show to new pilgrims and I do not wish to over-ask. Please forgive me if it is so. I appreciate opinions regarding the beginning days of my upcoming Camino (fall 2023). I made an itin to provide myself structure. I hope plans fly out the window somewhere around walking day #5 and spontaneity will live!

I tend to experience prolonged jetlag, so I could be recovering into the first day of walking (my 5th day in Spain). For initial planning, I altered my original journey over the distance from Pamplona to SDC to perhaps finishing this Camino in Sarria. It depends upon how long I am able to remain in Spain. I want to begin slowly but maybe this is too slow? Any specific suggestions for lodging, route, etc? I know I will gain knowledge from others on The Way but seeing the first week or so with more clarity reduces my fretfulness. Gracias and Buen Camino dear Pilgrims.

Day 6 (day 1 walking): ZIZUR MAYOR or CIZUR MENOR TO ALTO DEL PERDON (9.2KM 2hrs)
Just a suggestion for jet lag, from another person who "gets it bad": I've found that it works well to arrive in the morning and then FORCE YOURSELF to stay outside in the natural light and mostly walking around all day until a halfway reasonable time to go to bed (like 8 or 9). But let the sun re-set your circadian rhythms. The first day will be hell, but after that you may find that jet lag is minimal.

Just a suggestion for jet lag, from another person who "gets it bad": I've found that it works well to arrive in the morning and then FORCE YOURSELF to stay outside in the natural light and mostly walking around all day until a halfway reasonable time to go to bed (like 8 or 9). But let the sun re-set your circadian rhythms. The first day will be hell, but after that you may find that jet lag is minimal.
Unfortunately I do not have much choice regarding flight times, but I will try to stay outdoors during the day if at all possible. Buen Camino!

Unfortunately I do not have much choice regarding flight times, but I will try to stay outdoors during the day if at all possible. Buen Camino!
If you don't get much daytime that first day, then implement this plan the second day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just so you are aware, it was reported that the town in Zariquiegui has albergue that has reopened. Best wishes for a lively Camino.
Don't listen to those people who say to force yourself to stay awake. I have a sleep disorder and I need to sleep when I need to sleep. Do what your body needs.

Where are you planning to stay? I think that you will have to walk another 3.5 km to Uterga.
But you have plenty of time to fine tune your plans.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope you enjoy your night camping out at the Alto del Perdon. Should get a pretty sky at least.

Bus around Logrono? Why? The entrance into Logrono is fine and even the one going out is very short in terms or urbanization, before hitting a nice park and track to a lake with a lovely cafe. Not to mention the great city Logrono is, after all, you say you're happy to spend 3 nights in Pamplona but bypass Logrono? Think of the Rioja wine!

I recommend a bit more research as your itinerary is 'unusual'. I love a slow Camino myself and take over 60 days to complete it from St Jean, staying in the best accommodation available and dining at some amazing restaurants, but unless you are incapacitated to a significant degree, your outline of a plan won't work.

Last edited:
I completely agree with @DoughnutANZ:
Just walk. Stop when you come to a town, village or hamlet where there is accommodation and you feel like stopping. There isn't really any need to preplan your stops
That said, some people feel anxious about this. If that's you, a compromise is to plan the first few nights (Madrid, Pamplona, Cizur Minor) and then wing it from there. Starting slow is a very wise idea, and you will only know what you feel like when you have shoes on the ground.

So these may be perfect for a start:

After that the only 2 things that stand out are
There is nowhere to stay there. But albergues before (Zariquiegui) and after (Uterga). Most people will be going on to Puente la Reina, so you can be flexible here. And with the rest, especially if you stay in 'between' pueblos - the ones not at the ends of guidebook stages.

And as others have said, I would not miss Logroño.

Your pace is your pace. So don't pay attention to the naysayers. And...you may surprise yourself (especially as time goes on) with what you feel comfortable doing. Another reason to not plan much except at the beginning, just to calm pre-camino jitters. Which are universal. But once you start walking it all feels much easier than you could have imagined.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I understand you're trying to shorten days, but I see your schedule causing you issues.
I hadnt given this thought before but the Camino is more or less structured around a 6 hour (give or take) walking day.
On a day with only 9-10 kms of walking (max 3 hour), you have two choices, leave late in order to arrive when accommodation can be accessed, or end up in a village and wait for hours before you can access your accommodation. I dont know which month you're planning, but September can be really hot.
Albergues wont want you hanging around until 11am as they have work to do preparing for the next batch of pilgrims. You'll need to leave by 8am probably, which will have you arriving around in your chosen village by 10.30 -11.00am. You wont be able to access accommodation, and lots of these are small villages with not much to do.
It is different if you are staying in hotels, Pamplona is a city, and will offer hotels, but most of the others are small towns and villages with more basic accommodation.
Maybe for the first few days, you arrange to taxi back and forward to Pamplona where you could stay in a hotel - keep the booking for a few days, you'll have flexibility on the time you start walking (taxi/walk). You can schedule drop off and pick up places/times with the taxi - much like some people do when walking to Roncesvalles.

Having an extra day in Viana or Estella will give you the same problems unless you stay somewhere that allows a 2 night stay - and are you planning an extra day as a rest or a tourist day? Generally its best to take rest days when you need them rather than scheduling them, and neither of those towns offer a lot of tourism.
I see you plan to buy supplies in Pamplona? Food? Gear? It is best to take your own tried and tested gear, and you dont need to carry food as you'll buy it as you walk. There will be somewhere to buy food regularly.
There is no accommodation at Alto del Perdon, just windmills and a caravan. There are albergues either side (but wont be open by 10.30am)
A simpler method after the first day or so, is to just walk.
Do you plan to carry your own pack? If so, then you can just walk until you find a place you want to stay and stop there.

Last edited:
@Anamiri makes some good points about your timing.

One reason it is hard to comment is that you are basically listing most of the possible stops, in your "either/or" suggestions, since you are planning such short stages. You might as well just list all of the towns with the distances. The planning tool at godesalco.com will do this for you. Or any guide book or app will similarly list the options and they will also provide suggestions for accommodation. You haven't mentioned what resource you are using to develop this itinerary, so it is also harder for us to know if you have good information.

You have time to do some training, and unless you have some particular physical problem, you can probably get yourself up to walking 15 km/day without too much difficulty.

Can you fly to Pamplona on the same day you arrive in Madrid? I would prefer to do that rather than make two trips to the airport and through security, etc. If you can't fly on the same day, it might be simpler and faster to take a bus.

Finding and taking a bus around Logroño seems like more hassle than walking through it. There is real satisfaction in the continuity of walking into a city, through it, and out the other side.

If you can't fly on the same day, it might be simpler and faster to take a bus.
I missed this part. Absolutely agree about the bus rather than flying. Much better, and more relaxed. You can catch them at the airport - just search here for 'Alsa bus madrid airport' (or something similar), and you'll find the info you need.

And with these stages, I am asduming you either walk slowly or prefer to smell the roses. But if you walk at ~4km an hour, @Anamiri and @C clearly have a point. Personally I do not mind hanging out in a pueblo all afternoon. That may or may not be you. Adjust your plans to suit your speed and preferences. Without knowing those, it's hard to be specific.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am slow walker, so for Pamplona we are staying on the far edge of town, so that we do not have to walk all the way through Pamplona. Not sure where you were planning on staying in Cizormenor, but the popular albergue there is closed.
We are walking on to Uterga from Pamplona, then Maneru, then Estella, then Luquin, then Sansol, then on to Logrono. See if there are some stops between Luquin and Sansol for you. These are mainly short days except for the last 2.

If you leave at 08:00, stop for a 2nd breakfast, stop for lunch, it is then ok to get to your albergue at 13:00. Hotels will let you leave your bags too if you want lunch or to sightsee.

It is a good idea to walk short days in the beginning. But as others said, no need to pre-plan every single stop.

A good app (like Gronze, wisepilgrim...), guide book, or the distance/elevation document and list of albergues from the pilgrims office in St. Jean (I think you can find photos/PDF versions of that online) is all that is needed to know your options how far to walk each day and to make informed decisions while walking.

Walking short days gives you lots of time to find accommodation, and, if needed, to add just a few kms to the next place if you still feel good and it's still very early when you arrive.

Since most municipal and parroquial albergues are first come/first serve, early arrival makes it easy to get a bed without reservation, so you don't need fixed stopping points.

Just walk and stop when you feel like it.

Worst case scenario: That happens in a place without accommodation. Easy solution: walk into the next bar and ask them to call for a taxi, or look up a taxi online and call it yourself. Next day you can taxi back to the place you stopped at and continue there.

It's a good idea to stay at least one additional night in Pamplona. You can use that time to recover from jetlag, for sightseeing and to look for the first Camino signs that lead the way out of town. That way you already know the direction you need to take on your first walking day :)

I assume the first night you'll stay in a pre-booked hotel?

For the second night, I can recommend the German albergue (Casa Paderborn). It is a small one, with a nice atmosphere and volunteer hospitaleros, and quiet. In the albergue you could team up with other pilgrims to start the first steps of your walk the next morning. The hospitaleros can be helpful, too, to answer last questions.

For the first walking day Pamplona - Cizur Menor is good. You can have a nice, prolonged second breakfast on your way out of Pamplona, a third and fourth coffee, and enjoy the atmosphere of the city. There's a stamp you can get at the university, just 100m or so off the official official path. If you walk like that, smelling the roses and enjoying the cafes, Parks, ect., you won't arrive in Cizur much before opening of the albergue (should open at 12:00, generally open from beginning of may to end of september). If the albergue is closed for winter season, you can easily take a cheap bus back to Pamplona for a second night there or walk to Cizur Mayor if you have a reservation for a private room there.

Second day just walk and see how you feel.

Research is a good thing and a lot of fun, but it might be even more fun when you realize you don't need to stick to the plan, but let your body and heart decide what's the best decision for you in that moment.

Happy planning, and buen Camino!

Hi`MARSKA!
I don't know your age or fitness levels.
But lots of good advice above.
If you are not walking until later in the year; you have plenty of time left in sorting your Camino and the stages you are happy with.
Everyone's Camino is personal to them and they take their own path.

Hope the mumblings below help :)

Get your gear sorted that takes quite a while to whittle down to what you really need.

Firstly ,what's on your feet (bad footwear and blisters will end your Camino) and the right pack are the most important things.

Do you walk at home?

If you do; when sorted load your pack with the gear your taking and walk; it will help your fitness and give you some idea what is a comfortable distance for you!

At the moment i have my pack and gear ready for my walk in May (total 5kg without food water)and wear it when out with my dog and to the shops(i put the few bits of shopping in the large stretchy front pocket of the pack so weight is then heavier)
I walk for over three hours a day and i am still comfortable.
Doing this will hopefully will give you some idea of how you want to set your stages and what you will be comfortable with!
Gronze is a great planning resource to use with distance and accommodation listings also WisPilgrim app is laid out simply with the above info and more.
Woody

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1000s of people come and walk one of the Camino routes every year without EVER having been out of their own country before. It takes about 2 minutes to learn how to use euro and there are 100s of youtube tutorials for anyone who wants to know anything about Spain or the Camino, ahead of time.
As far as walking 25 km per day, I have never walked that far and there is no need to, unless that is your desire. The OP wants to walk short distances each day and that is also ok. I have lots of days where I am only walking 11-15km per day. Back in 2015, spent 9 days walking that 110km from Sarria to Santiago, due to some medical issues.
A few words in Spanish are easy for most people to learn and that is enough to get by. With Google translate on your phone, you can have conversations with people.
There is no such thing as "European" culture. Every country is completely different and again, a bit of research is helpful, but no reason to put off walking while the OP makes a "practice" trip to Spain.
Guess what, some people have zero problems with jet lag. I am one of them. I might be a bit sleepy on the 1st day or want to go to bed a bit earlier, but that is easy to deal with. A nice coffee and am ready to hit the road.

pjakobi, please don't dump water on this persons desires to walk this year.

Last edited:
Hmm. I think the Camino would be a great introduction to European travel. Just don't expect the same spirit of camaraderie in Paris or Rome, when you make it there. But you said it was your first trip to Spain, not to Europe.

My husband and I are also slow walkers. We had no trouble walking Pamplona -> Uterga and liked the alberques there - this even though we started in the city center instead of the edge.

Uterga -> Puente la Reina was a nice short day, and there's plenty to see in that town if you're into churches, as it's been on the Camino since medieval times. We stayed on the outskirts but next time we'll stay closer to the center (and the bridge) to shorten the following day a bit.

That also allows time for a detour to see the Church of Saint Mary of Eunate, which is worth a visit even if it's closed.

The day we visited, it was open only to pilgrims with credenciales but even if we had not been able to go inside, we could still have enjoyed the architecture.

I didn't like Najera but I loved Logroño and Navarette.

I would not recommend doing the Camino on your first trip to Europe.

I highly recommend a practice trip to Europe to learn about jet lag, European culture, learn to communicate in your non-native language, using Euros and credit cards, hotels and hostels, transportation system and using and charging your phone. That's an awful lot to learn and even more difficult to learn while exhausted from walking 25km.

Save the Camino for a future trip. The Camino will still be there, and you'll be more prepared.

-Paul

Unhelpful, and also slightly condescending.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's a stamp you can get at the university
Oh? Please do tell...next time I'd love to get this one.

would not recommend doing the Camino on your first trip to Europe.

I highly recommend a practice trip to Europe to learn about jet lag, European culture, learn to communicate in your non-native language, using Euros and credit cards, hotels and hostels, transportation system and using and charging your phone. That's an awful lot to learn and even more difficult to learn while exhausted from walking 25km.

Save the Camino for a future trip. The Camino will still be there, and you'll be more prepared.
I know you're well- intentioned Paul. But...what?
All of that is not hard to learn.
You've already received pushback so I won't add to it, too much. Except to say I think walking a Camino would be an ideal first trip to Europe. Where else would someone be held in such a supportive community, of many European nations? Whrere else could fast friendships be forged with strangers from all over Europe? Nowhere, except maybe a place like Taize.

Oh? Please do tell...next time I'd love to get this one.

When you walk out of Pamplona, you bypass the university. It is on the left, located in a park-like area, shortly before you're out of town and walking up to Cizur.

There's even a sign advertizing the stamp. I never went there, but last year took the time. I do like universities, and was happy to get a stamp I didn't get yet in all the years before.

I guess for most pilgrims the 100m off route are too much, and also, most probably walk by early morning when the university is still closed. Walking slowly from Zabaldika to Cizur it was a perfect opportunity for me :)

I don't find my credential right now or I would have added a photo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

-Paul
Completely. Disagree.

I hope you enjoy your night camping out at the Alto del Perdon. Should get a pretty sky at least.
The point being made here is that there is no accommodation at Alto del Perdon .

You are indeed being very cautious with your plan. I fly 24 hours to get there and find that after 1 rest day I want to start walking.

I think you will find that you can walk further than planned. Though you do not mention your age, state of health, fitness...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@MARSKA might I suggest plan your heart out but also, hold the plans lightly. Definitely take your time the first week, but also know at the end of the day, you’ll always find a bed and there’s usually some cafe nearby to quench coffee fix or hunger pains.

It usually takes me until I hit Logroño to work out all my quirks, get back into my personal “Camino routine”, then things start to click.

Your “x” factors are going to be unplanned fatigue, injuries or body stuff (not saying it will happen; these are unknowns).

The other “x” factor is that good ol’ Camino magic. Don’t plan so much that you push out the unexpected magic and delights that will come your way…because they will!

I know you're well- intentioned Paul. But...what?

You've received pushback so I won't add to it, too much. Except to say I think walking a Camino would be an ideal first trip to Europe. Where else would someone be held in such a supportivd community, of many European nations? Whrere else could fast friendships be forged with strangers from all over Europe?
I agree. A Camino is a great first trip to Europe because even if you go alone you are part of a community while you are on the Camino.

When you walk out of Pamplona, you bypass the university. It is on the left, located in a park-like area, shortly before you're out of town and walking up to Cizur.

There's even a sign advertizing the stamp. I never went there, but last year took the time. I do like universities, and was happy to get a stamp I didn't get yet in all the years before.

I guess for most pilgrims the 100m off route are too much, and also, most probably walk by early morning when the university is still closed. Walking slowly from Zabaldika to Cizur it was a perfect opportunity for me :)

I don't find my credential right now or I would have added a photo.
Also, plush toilets. Very pleasant, welcoming staff.

-Paul

Gosh! Part of me thinks you must be trolling and another part of me thinks you must be serious.If it is the latter then I shake my head in bewilderment.

We " Europeans " ( although as a Belgian you can't compare me with a Swede or a Spaniard ) all have in common that we understand more than one language and most often English is a language we all understand and speak. So Welcome , Willkommen,Bienvenue!

" Our ' transportation system is also an example. Websites of national railways even have an English translation! Go figure.

Charging your phone? Well you just have to plug in your charger. We even have wall outlets and functioning electricity. Even running water from the tap! Woohoo! Though do not use that electricity and water together.... ;)

Thank you because I had a great laugh.

Well-intentioned or not, it greatly irks me to see men tell grown women whether or not they’re ready to go on a trip, saying “That's an awful lot to learn and even more difficult to learn while exhausted from walking 25km”. Absolutely patronizing and infantilizing.
Just leave out the men vs woman thing and I agree totally. But I cannot see any gender role issue here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gosh! Part of me thinks you must be trolling and another part of me thinks you must be serious.If it is the latter then I shake my head in bewilderment.

We " Europeans " ( although as a Belgian you can't compare me with a Swede or a Spaniard ) all have in common that we understand more than one language and most often English is a language we all understand and speak. So Welcome , Willkommen,Bienvenue!

" Our ' transportation system is also an example. Websites of national railways even have an English translation! Go figure.

Charging your phone? Well you just have to plug in your charger. We even have wall outlets and functioning electricity. Even running water from the tap! Woohoo! Though do not use that electricity and water together.... ;)

Thank you because I had a great laugh.
Well, sometimes I dig holes in the ice to find water … I think Europe is an underdeveloped and dangerous place 🤣

Day 15/10: NAJERA TO ALESAFrom Uterga it is an easy short walk to Puente la Reina. A very nice historic town.
NCO-detour CANAS – to Santo Domingo
An unnecessary intermezzo has occured, so let's get this thread back on track:

I would walk from Pamplona to Cizur Menor as a first day, Cafes/bars, and beds there. Easy day.
Next day would be Uterga. 2 albergues and food there. There is nothing at Alto del Perdon.
Next day walk from Uterga to Puente la Reina: Flat easy day. A nice historic town with its famous bridge.

After these 3 easy days, you will know a lot more about your abilities, as well as how the Camino "works". You will be much more confident in yourself.

From then on, do what suits you. It will work out fine, for sure. It is much easier than you may fear...

If you want reassurance, book a bed for those days, and walk in peace.

Bridge in Puente la Reina:

Puente_la_Reina.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I love the walk from Logroño to Navarette. Through that beautiful park.. lovely.
Flying to Pamplona if you can afford it is a great plan, as is a day of rest before walking.
As others have mentioned, there are no albergues at Alto Perdon so that won't work unless you plan on calling a taxi or walking further to the next village.
Honestly, if you just walk planning on being in a village before 2:30 pm you'll get a bed, in my experience.
I know you're a little nervous because you're a new pilgrim, but I suspect after about 2 days walking, you'll toss the plan and do what your body and feet and heart want.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I didn't plan our first walk and it was wonderful. Having said that, I love to plan (I get a lot of joy out of it), but always with the understanding that things will change. I planned our 2022 walk with our family (it seems our group gets larger each walk) and I have attached the itinerary I made for them for the segment you are planning because you may find it helpful.

I am a very slow walker and this itinerary is suited to my walking pace (our family members were often showered and napping by the time we arrived). I booked private rooms so arrival time was not an issue. Our first walk, we walked from Pamplona center instead of from the edge of town, and it was lovely. As others have said above the walk from Logroño to Navarette is wonderful!

I think, as you mentioned, by day five you will have a very good sense of whether or not you want to skip or plan anything.
Pamplona to Viana.png
Happy planning and changing your plans! :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you do stay the first night in Madrid then consider taking the train to Pamplona instead of taking a bus or flight to Pamplona as soon as you land. There is bus service from the train station and the city bus website is incredible (but in Spanish and "Basque" only).

I agree that the side trip from the west side of the Alto de Perdon to the church in Eunate is well worth the walk. I fell in love with Romanesque architecture in Spain and Santa Maria is a wonder. I missed it when walking our Francés but I got to see it, thankfully, on my Aragonese. This shows the side trip; just 3.2 km (2 miles longer).

Navarette was mentioned. A visit to the church is required. Bring coins to light up the retablo/altarpiece. There is a high ceiling and the wall is gold. The town used to be much larger in the old days.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Day 5: Bus or wyou have got herelk FROM PAMPLONA to CIZUR MENOR or ZIZUR MAYO
With the corrections and input/feedback you have got here, you are set to go safely. Buen Camino!

I understand you're trying to shorten days, but I see your schedule causing you issues.
I hadnt given this thought before but the Camino is more or less structured around a 6 hour (give or take) walking day.
On a day with only 9-10 kms of walking (max 3 hour), you have two choices, leave late in order to arrive when accommodation can be accessed, or end up in a village and wait for hours before you can access your accommodation. I dont know which month you're planning, but September can be really hot.
Albergues wont want you hanging around until 11am as they have work to do preparing for the next batch of pilgrims. You'll need to leave by 8am probably, which will have you arriving around in your chosen village by 10.30 -11.00am. You wont be able to access accommodation, and lots of these are small villages with not much to do.
It is different if you are staying in hotels, Pamplona is a city, and will offer hotels, but most of the others are small towns and villages with more basic accommodation.
Maybe for the first few days, you arrange to taxi back and forward to Pamplona where you could stay in a hotel - keep the booking for a few days, you'll have flexibility on the time you start walking (taxi/walk). You can schedule drop off and pick up places/times with the taxi - much like some people do when walking to Roncesvalles.

Having an extra day in Viana or Estella will give you the same problems unless you stay somewhere that allows a 2 night stay - and are you planning an extra day as a rest or a tourist day? Generally its best to take rest days when you need them rather than scheduling them, and neither of those towns offer a lot of tourism.
I see you plan to buy supplies in Pamplona? Food? Gear? It is best to take your own tried and tested gear, and you dont need to carry food as you'll buy it as you walk. There will be somewhere to buy food regularly.
There is no accommodation at Alto del Perdon, just windmills and a caravan. There are albergues either side (but wont be open by 10.30am)
A simpler method after the first day or so, is to just walk.
Do you plan to carry your own pack? If so, then you can just walk until you find a place you want to stay and stop there.
Good advice! Gracias! Good to know that about Alto del Perdon.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

-Paul
I appreciate your concern for my well being! And the concern of all those who "liked" this. It's good to know there are people who truly care.

With the corrections and input/feedback you have got here, you are set to go safely. Buen Camino!
I agree. Gracias.

Bus around Logrono? Why? The entrance into Logrono is fine and even the one going out is very short in terms or urbanization, before hitting a nice park and track to a lake with a lovely cafe. Not to mention the great city Logrono is, after all, you say you're happy to spend 3 nights in Pamplona but bypass Logrono? Think of the Rioja wine!

I recommend a bit more research as your itinerary is 'unusual'. I love a slow Camino myself and take over 60 days to complete it from St Jean, staying in the best accommodation available and dining at some amazing restaurants, but unless you are incapacitated to a significant degree, your outline of a plan won't work.
Ahh! Thank you! Comments appreciated!

I am thankful for all comments, even those that anger me because there is some truth in them that I wish to avoid.
If at some point in the future some pilgrims here wish advice on planning the approach and technical ascent of multiple 14,000 foot Colorado mountains please contact me. I am familiar with these mountains, Spain is new to me as areas I am intimate with may be new to you. I hope we all have new places to explore and experiences to enjoy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am thankful for all comments, even those that anger me because there is some truth in them that I wish to avoid.
If at some point in the future some pilgrims here wish advice on planning the approach and technical ascent of multiple 14,000 foot Colorado mountains please contact me. I am familiar with these mountains, Spain is new to me as areas I am intimate with may be new to you. I hope we all have new places to explore and experiences to enjoy.
I'm from Boulder and can relate to your 14r comment. I think you're going to find that Camino is much less difficult and there is support everywhere. If you have a question about something, there's always someone to help.
Jet lag smacks me too. It takes me 3-5 days to adjust. This year, due to time, I'm ignoring it. I land on a Thursday AM in Madrid, catch a train North and start walking Friday.
You're going to have a great time.

I've done 2 1/2 caminos and am doing the Primitivo next month. I've been a purist and walked every step and taken buses/trains when my knees were too sore. Trust your gut but indulge spontaneity and don't be a slave to your plan. If you feel good keep going. If you're worn out feel free to stop. You might consider a stop at Zariquiegui. It's delightful -- a little perversely perhaps -- to sit at the cafe on the street and pass the afternoon watching the pilgrims who keep going toward Alto del Perdon passing by heading toward those very steep hills and save the toil for the next day. Viana and Navarette are nice towns to stop at. Can recommend Albergue Jakue on outskirts of Puente la Reina and La Casa Magica @ 4 km short of Estella. It makes sense to start off slowly and build up your strength, but after 5-7 days you might be able to go farther than you think. And finding a great albergue can be as reinvigorating as a rest day. Buen Camino!

I've done 2 1/2 caminos and am doing the Primitivo next month. I've been a purist and walked every step and taken buses/trains when my knees were too sore. Trust your gut but indulge spontaneity and don't be a slave to your plan. If you feel good keep going. If you're worn out feel free to stop. [...] It makes sense to start off slowly and build up your strength, but after 5-7 days you might be able to go farther than you think. And finding a great albergue can be as reinvigorating as a rest day. Buen Camino!

Exactly this! :cool:

Oh, and maybe see you on the Primitivo then ...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm from Boulder and can relate to your 14r comment. I think you're going to find that Camino is much less difficult and there is support everywhere. If you have a question about something, there's always someone to help.
Jet lag smacks me too. It takes me 3-5 days to adjust. This year, due to time, I'm ignoring it. I land on a Thursday AM in Madrid, catch a train North and start walking Friday.
You're going to have a great time.
Hi Boulder! Yeah I'm done mountain climbing now but it was thrilling few years! Glad to hear this is easier (cuz it couldnt be harder). Question - I, too am flying to Madrid and taking the train north. Do you suggestions for a hotel in Madrid? Which train station should I look for?

Hello, I didn't plan our first walk and it was wonderful. Having said that, I love to plan (I get a lot of joy out of it), but always with the understanding that things will change. I planned our 2022 walk with our family (it seems our group gets larger each walk) and I have attached the itinerary I made for them for the segment you are planning because you may find it helpful.

I am a very slow walker and this itinerary is suited to my walking pace (our family members were often showered and napping by the time we arrived). I booked private rooms so arrival time was not an issue. Our first walk, we walked from Pamplona center instead of from the edge of town, and it was lovely. As others have said above the walk from Logroño to Navarette is wonderful!

I think, as you mentioned, by day five you will have a very good sense of whether or not you want to skip or plan anything.
View attachment 144424
Happy planning and changing your plans! :)
Gracias! Very helpful. Buen Camino!

-Paul
-Paul, I apologize for my next statements if English is a second language for you ---
you need to know that I found your comments unhelpful, condescending, and disrespectful. I say this in kindness so that you might in the future chose your words more carefully in order to avoid the appearance of rudeness. Buen Camino.

Hi Boulder! Yeah I'm done mountain climbing now but it was thrilling few years! Glad to hear this is easier (cuz it couldnt be harder). Question - I, too am flying to Madrid and taking the train north. Do you suggestions for a hotel in Madrid? Which train station should I look for?
I don't have any great suggestions for a hotel. I do like staying in the Centro section after I land. I stayed at Suite Prado which is a mid-priced place with super nice and helpful people. It's really easy to walk everywhere which helps me work through the jet leg. The Prado, Calle Cava Baja, it's all right there. It's all safe. Touristy but fun.

The train station for points north is Chamartin. To get there from Centro you can take the subway, go out of the train station on the south side of Centro or grab a cab and I think it was $15 or so.

I don't have any great suggestions for a hotel. I do like staying in the Centro section after I land. I stayed at Suite Prado which is a mid-priced place with super nice and helpful people. It's really easy to walk everywhere which helps me work through the jet leg. The Prado, Calle Cava Baja, it's all right there. It's all safe. Touristy but fun.

The train station for points north is Chamartin. To get there from Centro you can take the subway, go out of the train station on the south side of Centro or grab a cab and I think it was $15 or so.
Thank you!!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With 3 recovery days already built into your itinerary, I would recommend walking the 5k from Pamplona to Cizur Menor, and onward. You will likely be rested by then and ready to take on more than you have planned, especially as I note you have a climbing background. As others have pointed out, there is nowhere to stay at Alto de Perdon. I am confused by your days 8-11 where it appears you may at points be moving backward (eg-Cirauqui). I see you are from U.S. Not to minimize your plan, but it seems a long way to go to basically try to stretch a 6 or 7 day walk plus bus travel into 10 days. Just a thought, and hopefully I’m not way off base here, but you may get more fulfillment out of a shorter Camino which you can complete in your available time, such as Camino Ingles, which is roughly the same distance you have planned. Buen Camino whatever you decide!

Oops, I think I misread your post. It asks for comments on the “first 10 days” of your itinerary, and I mistakenly thought it was your entire itinerary. My guess is that the first 10 days will see you in Burgos, and after that the magic of the Meseta will really set in and you will really settle into it and enjoy every step until you stop. At least that’s what happened to this old girl! 😀

Renfe trains from Madrid to Pamplona depart from the Atocha station, not Chamartin (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of ;)).

I have started from Pamplona twice and each time chose to get there on my arrival day, rather than overnighting in Madrid. On one occasion I was able to get a great connecting flight, and the other time I took the airporter bus to Atocha station and took the train. As others have mentioned, there is a third option which I would also consider if the stars aligned, and that is to get an Alsa bus directly from the airport.

@MARSKA a if you do want to go into central Madrid that first night and your goal is to address jetlag, I would echo what others have suggested and that is to get the train to Pamplona the following day rather than returning to the airport for a flight out. If you were to take this option, it would be desirable to stay within a short walking distance to Atocha. Though I can't speak to them personally, there are several accommodation options around the station.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Renfe trains from Madrid to Pamplona depart from the Atocha station, not Chamartin (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of ;)).

I have started from Pamplona twice and each time chose to get there on my arrival day, rather than overnighting in Madrid. On one occasion I was able to get a great connecting flight, and the other time I took the airporter bus to Atocha station and took the train. As others have mentioned, there is a third option which I would also consider if the stars aligned, and that is to get an Alsa bus directly from the airport.

@MARSKA a if you do want to go into central Madrid that first night and your goal is to address jetlag, I would echo what others have suggested and that is to get the train to Pamplona the following day rather than returning to the airport for a flight out. If you were to take this option, it would be desirable to stay within a short walking distance to Atocha. Though I can't speak to them personally, there are several accommodation options around the station.
You’re 100% correct on the trains to Pamplona leaving from Atocha. I was imprinting the itinerary I’m working on for myself :).

I'm from California. What is called "mountains" in Spain, even the Pyrenees you cross, are what we call "hills" in California. The Sierra Nevada are over 12,000 feet in height in some places. The General Sherman tree, for example, is at 6,191 feet while the highest peak you cross on the Pyrenees is about 4,450 feet. It's steep, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly a mountain climb.

Have your kept a journal/blog of your walk? I'd like to read it!

I would not consider catching a bus around Logrono. Where would catch the bus from? Viana?
There is a lovely walk into Logrono on an old abandoned road. Now a pilgrim path with local access.
Shortly after leaving the centre of Logrono{ a beautiful city} the pilgrim route enters a park as recommended by another pilgrim above, which takes you out of the city. Avoid the hassle of catching a bus. Buen camino

I would not consider catching a bus around Logrono. Where would catch the bus from? Viana?
There is a lovely walk into Logrono on an old abandoned road. Now a pilgrim path with local access.
Shortly after leaving the centre of Logrono{ a beautiful city} the pilgrim route enters a park as recommended by another pilgrim above, which takes you out of the city. Avoid the hassle of catching a bus. Buen camino
I agree. Logroño is one of my favorite cities on the Camino.

Thank you for this info!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think your plan is fine. Just remember that no battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy. Enjoy your Camino, however it turns out. Be careful though, it can be addictive.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.