• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jet boil butane canisters?

Oztrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
I started in st jean and am currently in leon. My foot is blistered after my boots wore out.

Have completed many long distance treks longest is 1000 km, bibulmun track.
Next camino, i am bringing my jet boil. Only problem where do I get my jet boil butane. It has to be a jet boil size so it fits in the stove cup.

image.jpg

I have the jet boil frypan as well, so I will be bringing to my next camino a stack of packet steak, pork and chicken sauces with me. Gravox :)

I will say oh your albergue has no kitchen, no problem, I can cook my fillet steak, mash potato, salad and pepper/red wine/ onion/ dianne sauce.

The problem is jet boil is a specialized piece of equipment. I will also be happy to cook for other pilgrims who are struggling with money and cannot afford the pilgrim menu.

Salad bag 1 euro.
Fillet steak 1.20 euro
Bread stick. .80
Powdered sauce .20
Butter .20
Bottle wine 1 euro

5 euro dinner every night plus a steak sandwich for the next days lunch.

Would it be better if I just purchased a more larger conventional stove and cooked for other pilgrims as well who perhaps cannot afford to eat at the bars?

image.jpg

My standard camino meal if I can get a supermarket a butcher and an albergue kitchen together. I cooked this at hospital de orbigo, the red wine sauce was made from scratch. Astogra is also a good place to cook as well.

Pigrims like to cook, I say let them cook. I tried to split a pilgrim menu with a pilgrim that was living on a breadstick per day, i was abused by the restaraunt owner and she said we both had to buy pilgrims menu. We left the restaraunt embarrassed.

This is a way that I can help those out on a tight budget to eat some good warm food cheaply from time to time.

Has anyone mastered the propane trekking stove over the camino. For example buy steak and a bag of salad in valcarlos push onto roncesvalles. Cook at this spot overlooking the.....

Day 2 purchase chicken in....?

Maybe I should purchase another heavy duty stove and really help out those pilgrims on the tightest of budgets.

Any suggestions would be welcomed on this idea?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You are not allowed to share a pilgrim menu or a menu del dia, but you can share 'platos combinados'. One has a main course and the other has the salad or similar, then you share both. We have even been given 2 sets of cutlery and a spare plate for one 'platos combinados' which are usually good value - you just have to remember that bread and drinks are extra with these but included with the fixed meals.

I dont speak spanish so good, thats why i paid 5 euro for bread cheese salami no butter for two weeks! How can i solve that conundrum, the spanish rubriks 2 person pelegrino menu. Get real.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Find out what type of fuel canisters and stoves are readily available in Spain.

Or find compatible fuel canisters that will work with what you own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The
Mountain stoves such as your jet boil are not intended for use indoors. Just picture the consequences of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning in a firetrap albergue filled with 100 people. I'd suggest bringing an electric coil instead.

I agree - particularly as Oztrekker is talking about using it in albergues that don't have a kitchen.

If I were the hospitalero and someone lit one of these in my albergue I'd be asking him to leave.

If he used it outside in the garden it would be OK.

Good to see the angels of this forum are in attendance! Thanks again Ivar.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I dont speak spanish so good, thats why i paid 5 euro for bread cheese salami no butter for two weeks! How can i solve that conundrum, the spanish rubriks 2 person pelegrino menu. Get real.
There are some excellent threads on this forum to help you with learning Spanish.

The larger cities on the French route all have either a Decathlon store (which sells just about everything for the outdoors) or small, privately owned gear stores. In fact there is a really good one in Leon right on the route in the center of the city by the Cathedral. It's basically the same compressed gas I use in my MSR Pocket Rocket. It's Spain, not the Gobi. It's a poor country unfortunately but they are living in the 21st Century. You should be fine. By the way, what is your native language?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can find gas canisters only in big cities. I'd suggest take an alcohol burner, so you can buy alcohol from every farmacia (250 ml Bottle about 2 euros). I know what i'm talking, two years ago I carried 650 kilometres gas burner for nothing, only place I found gas canisters was in Leon. This summer I had titanium alcohol burner and used it almost every day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Jet boil is staying at home, also planes and butane are a hassle. So the alcohol stove is in. So this is methylated spirits?

And someone mentioned the petrol stove. Just disappointing I cannot bring the jetboil because it was very expensive and it works amazingly, and its clean burnng.

Trangia is a well known brand, but the petrol ones have me intrigued. Just want to cook my steak, sausages, eggs, tomato and bacon sangers.

I think I will cut the other pilgrims a deal they can use it after me , free fuel free stove, but they have to wash up. I think that would be a fair deal.

Obviously alcohol is the best option just need to choose one stove for purchase now.

What would you suggest?

Bring your Jet Boil, you just have to stock up on fuel in the bigger towns, not sure how many you'll need to carry, you should be able to find fuel in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, and Leon.

If you bring a stove ... the jet boil is a good choice.

Trangia is a world leader for alcohol stoves and have an almost religious following (see church of trangia).

You cannot bring fuel of any kind on planes. Some officious types will try to take away your stove even if there is not a trace of fuel on it ... don't let them. Just make sure there is not a trace of fuel on your equipment. I've washed out fuel tanks for liquid fuel stoves using soap and water.

I'll reiterate that mountain stoves including stoves that use butane, denatured alcohol, or gasoline, are not intended for indoor use.

The leading cause of death while hiking is due to people using stoves in tents without adequate ventilation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful also with an alcohol stove. Many of them warn than if you use them for longer than to boil a few cups of water the components can overheat and begin to melt, so you need to let it cool off. This may not be an issue with the higher quality ones, but my cheapo one is great but would never last cooking a multi-course meal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back