• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jubilee Year of Hope 2025

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/fran...09_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html (also available in other languages)

There is also a Catholic Herald article with pertinent details : https://catholicherald.co.uk/pilgri...ortunity-for-indulgences-during-jubilee-2025/

Some points therein :

Pilgrimage is of course a fundamental element of every Jubilee event. Setting out on a journey is traditionally associated with our human quest for meaning in life. A pilgrimage on foot is a great aid for rediscovering the value of silence, effort and simplicity of life. In the coming year, pilgrims of hope will surely travel the ancient and more modern routes in order to experience the Jubilee to the full. In Rome itself, along with the usual visits to the catacombs and the Seven Churches, other itineraries of faith will be proposed. Journeying from one country to another as if borders no longer mattered, and passing from one city to another in contemplating the beauty of creation and masterpieces of art, we learn to treasure the richness of different experiences and cultures, and are inspired to lift up that beauty, in prayer, to God, in thanksgiving for his wondrous works. The Jubilee Churches along the pilgrimage routes and in the city of Rome can serve as oases of spirituality and places of rest on the pilgrimage of faith, where we can drink from the wellsprings of hope, above all by approaching the sacrament of Reconciliation, the essential starting-point of any true journey of conversion. In the particular Churches, special care should be taken to prepare priests and the faithful to celebrate the sacrament of Confession and to make it readily available in its individual form.

Sustained by this great tradition, and certain that the Jubilee Year will be for the entire Church a lively experience of grace and hope, I hereby decree that the Holy Door of the Basilica of Saint Peter in the Vatican will be opened on 24 December 2024, thus inaugurating the Ordinary Jubilee. On the following Sunday, 29 December 2024, I will open the Holy Door of my cathedral, Saint John Lateran, which on 9 November this year will celebrate the 1700th anniversary of its dedication. Then, on 1 January 2025, the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, the Holy Door of the Papal Basilica of Saint Mary Major will be opened. Finally, Sunday, 5 January 2025, will mark the opening of the Holy Door of the Papal Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls. These last three Holy Doors will be closed on Sunday, 28 December 2025.

I further decree that on Sunday, 29 December 2024, in every cathedral and co-cathedral, diocesan bishops are to celebrate Holy Mass as the solemn opening of the Jubilee Year, using the ritual indications that will be provided for that occasion. For celebrations in co-cathedrals, the bishop’s place can be taken by a suitably designated delegate. A pilgrimage that sets out from a church chosen for the collectio and then proceeds to the cathedral can serve to symbolize the journey of hope that, illumined by the word of God, unites all the faithful. In the course of this pilgrimage, passages from the present Document can be read, along with the announcement of the Jubilee Indulgence to be gained in accordance with the prescriptions found in the ritual indications mentioned above. The Holy Year will conclude in the particular Churches on Sunday, 28 December 2025; in the course of the year, every effort should be made to enable the People of God to participate fully in its proclamation of hope in God’s grace and in the signs that attest to its efficacy.

The Ordinary Jubilee will conclude with the closing of the Holy Door in the Papal Basilica of Saint Peter in the Vatican on 6 January 2026, the Solemnity of the Epiphany of the Lord. During the Holy Year, may the light of Christian hope illumine every man and woman, as a message of God’s love addressed to all! And may the Church bear faithful witness to this message in every part of the world!

From the Catholic Herald :

In a set of guidance points, known as norms, issued 13 May and signed by Cardinal Angelo De Donatis, former vicar of Rome and Major Penitentiary of the Apostolic Penitentiary, the Vatican outlined the usual conditions under which a person can receive an indulgence, saying they must be “truly repentant and free from any affection for sin” and “moved by a spirit of charity”.

Catholics wanting an indulgence must thus go to Confession, receive the Eucharist, and pray for the intentions of the Pope. It was also specified that indulgence, as usual, can be both applied to the individuals who obtain it, or it can be offered for souls in purgatory.

To this end, the Vatican outlined three main ways to obtain an indulgence during the Jubilee year: by making pilgrimages to any designated Jubilee sacred site as an individual pilgrim or as part of a group of pilgrims, making a “pious visit” to any other sacred place in the world, and by conducting works of mercy and penance.

In terms of pilgrimages to Jubilee sites, the Vatican said that the faithful can receive the indulgence by participating in Mass, or by participating in a special Mass for the conferral of the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, First Communion, or the Anointing of the Sick.

An indulgence can also be obtained by participating in various prayers at these holy sites, such as the Liturgy of the Hours, the Via Crucis, the Rosary, the Akathist hymn, a celebration of the Word of God, or a penitential celebrating ending with individual confessions.

The indulgence can be obtained in Rome by making a pilgrimage to at least one of the four papal basilicas: St. Peter’s, St. Mary Major, St. John Lateran, and St. Paul Outside the Walls.

Pilgrims can also obtain the jubilee indulgence by visiting one of the three basilicas in the Holy Land: The Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem, the Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem, or the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth.

The Vatican said pilgrims unable to visit these places can also receive the indulgence by visiting a cathedral or other sacred place designated by the local bishop.

In Rome, other destinations where pilgrims can obtain an indulgence include the Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem; the Basilica of St Lawrence at the Verano; the Basilica of St Sebastian; the Sanctuary of Divine Love; the Church of the Holy Spirit in Sassia; and the Church of St Paul at the Tre Fontane, where St. Paul was killed.

Pilgrims can also receive the indulgence by visiting the catacombs in Rome, as well as the Basilica of Santa Maria sopra Minerva; the church of St Brigid at Campo de’ Fiori, the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria, Trinità dei Monti, the Basilica of Saint Cecilia in Trastevere, and the Basilica of Sant’Augustine in Campo Marzio.

Those who make the traditional “seven churches” pilgrimage in Rome can also obtain the indulgence.

Outside of Rome, other pilgrimage destinations where an indulgence can be obtained include the papal basilicas of St Francis and Our Lady of the Angels in Assisi; the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, the pontifical Basilicas of Our Lady of Loreto, Our Lady of Pompeii and St. Anthony in Padua, among others.

It can also be obtained by visiting any minor basilica, cathedral, co-cathedral, or Marian shrine designated by the local bishop or eparch, as well as national or international sanctuaries indicated by local bishops’ conferences.

Pastors were also urged to designate specific cathedrals and churches for the jubilee year, and to increase opportunities for the faithful to go to confession, including during Mass.

Those assigned to hearing confessions at cathedrals and churches specifically designated as destination points for the Jubilee year were also granted special permission to offer subjective forgiveness of sins typically restricted to the hierarchy of the Vatican.

In this spirit, the Vatican also granted all priests who lead or accompany pilgrimages outside of their dioceses the faculties to celebrate the sacraments wherever they are for that pilgrimage.

-------------

At this point, it is unclear to me if the Cathedrals outside of Rome that will be "co-cathedrals" shall be opening their Holy Doors, as happened in the 2015 extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dates for the Jubilee Year from l'Osservatore Romano :

Later, on 29 December [2024], the Holy Father will open the Holy Door of the Archbasilica of Saint John Lateran, the Cathedral of Rome. On the same day, in every Cathedral and co-Cathedral throughout the world, the local Bishop will celebrate Mass to mark the opening of the Jubilee.

The Jubilee will end in the particular Churches throughout the world on 28 December 2025, the same day in which the Holy Doors of Saint John Lateran, Saint Mary Major, and Saint Paul’s Outside-the-Walls will be closed.

Except Saint Peter's in Rome, Christmas Eve 2024 to 6th January 2026 (Epiphany).

La Croix summarises the principal Sanctuaries of the Jubilee Year as follows :

in Rome: by visiting at least one of the four Major Papal Basilicas: St. Peter’s in the Vatican, the Archbasilica of the Holy Saviour (St John Lateran’s), Saint Mary Major’s, and St. Paul’s Outside the Walls;

in the Holy Land: by visiting at least one of the three basilicas: the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, the Basilica of the Nativity in Bethlehem, or the Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth

These are the Sanctuaries defined so far as Jubilee Churches, and the Holy Doors in those seven Basilicas will definitely be opened. That's all we know definitely about Jubilee Year Holy Doors for the present.

This article https://www.holyart.co.uk/blog/reli...inations-not-to-be-missed-during-the-jubilee/ suggests that other Sanctuaries designated by the Pope/the Holy See as "Jubilee Churches" should also open their Holy Doors, and the Catholic Herald article suggests that the major "co-cathedrals" will include a number of other Roman churches, plus those in Assisi, Loreto, Pompeii, Padua, and Santiago de Compostela (as well as Marian shrines more generally, so by default also Fátima and Lourdes as well as some Sanctuaries in the Americas and elsewhere, perhaps most notably apart from those two, Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City and Nuestra Señora del Pilar in Zaragoza).

Likely not all of these co-cathedrals will be designated as Jubilee Churches, certainly not all of the designated Roman and other Italian churches have been.

However, powers are granted to each local Bishop to decree local conditions for the Jubilee Year, so that there are some unknowns as each Bishop makes his forthcoming choices, and the Holy See makes its own.

So the expectation will be for 2025 to be busier than normal (whatever normal is)? Do these things affect the whole routes, or generally the last say 100K type issues?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So the expectation will be for 2025 to be busier than normal (whatever normal is)? Do these things affect the whole routes, or generally the last say 100K type issues?
The Roman Ways in Italy and the Assisi route will certainly be MUCH busier than normal. As to the Francigena outside Italy, no idea, though in France the southern Francigena route from Arles via Montgenèvre and the Coastal route via Menton will likely both be somewhat "busier" (hrm ! hrm !!).

As to the Camino routes, as far as I can tell much will depend if the Cathedral in Santiago were to be declared as a Jubilee Church or not, if the Holy Doors are opened or not -- though a greater number of the more specifically religious-motivated pilgrims might be expected.

Thanks for sharing this @JabbaPapa.
The decision on the Cathedral at Santiago will impact whether of not I walk the Camino next year. A holy year is something I really want to avoid.
I would very much appreciate it if you could update this thread as and when more information is available.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great information! Thank you. We are (were?) planning for our first Camino in 2025. This might change things.

I hardly believe this will change things.
Happy planning!

Some more info on the plenary indulgence. Which does not have to include a walking pilgrimage.

Here another link to the Jubilee year.

Last edited:
Also, “your” Camino does not have to end in SdC. Maybe consider doing a “stage” or perhaps one of the shorter caminos that of themselves don’t end in SdC.

For example San Salvador or Lebaniego.

No need to avoid in 2025, I might have to adapt, but I’ll be on a Camino one way or another.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

After walking in rainy and chilly Galicia for about a week I ended up in a warm hotel room, feverish and with a cold. And I asked myself: why am I doing this? It felt like truancy, but I decided...
Hi I am curious to know what snake this is, just after Astorga before Murias de Rechivaldo ... lovely little thing!
We are leaving Sahagún and can’t find any coffee for breakfast. Any advice or has someone seen any on the way. Saludos Nando
I am an American peregrino interested in volunteering for 2 weeks at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela during 2025. I have completed the Camino Frances (2019), Camino Finisterre (2023)...
I finally got around to having my Compostela and certificates framed. Doing so was more time consuming, irritating and painful than walking. The first attempt by the framers had everything at odd...
I will be volunteering for 15 days at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago in late October . I understand that volunteers no longer fill out Compostela’s because a computer prints the names and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.