• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July/Aug 2016

TinaPEI

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully sometime....
Is there a thread for people walking the Camino Frances in July/Aug 2016?

I am planning to walk early July-early Aug in 2016. I'm a teacher and I'm very tied to summer, and that leaves me the end of Aug to get my classroom ready for school and a few weeks to enjoy our short summer here. I originally hoped to walk this summer, but financially wasn't able to do that. I'm hoping it all works out for me this time. It's looking much better for me. :) It's all the gear purchasing and the flights that worries me more than the Camino. And then of course the horrible exchange rate! Right now, 1 Euro is over $1.50 Canadian, so when you talk about budgeting for around 40 Euros a day that runs me into a lot more.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's easy to get stressed over all the decisions to be made! I'm closing in on the last of mine. Just remember that choices can always be re-made, so make each one and move on to the next. And step away as needed....

You can add your tentative departure date to the calendar to alert others to your travels.

Buen Camino!

I am planning to walk early July-early Aug in 2016. I'm a teacher and I'm very tied to summer, and that leaves me the end of Aug to get my classroom ready for school and a few weeks to enjoy our short summer here. I originally hoped to walk this summer, but financially wasn't able to do that. I'm hoping it all works out for me this time. It's looking much better for me. :) It's all the gear purchasing and the flights that worries me more than the Camino. And then of course the horrible exchange rate! Right now, 1 Euro is over $1.50 Canadian, so when you talk about budgeting for around 40 Euros a day that runs me into a lot more.
If you stay in Alberques only then thirty a day would be more than adequate for basic living with a couple of decent meals tossed in and some wine. We saved money buy buying eggs and boiling them, purchasing bread and cheese and making our own coffee. It adds a bit of weight but was worth it for us. Breakfast on the camino was about three euros and really not very good. It is all up to you and your expectations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Tina. I've walked in July/August.
The good news - it will be HOT so you won't have to carry as much gear. No jacket, just a windbreaker or fleece. No heavy sleeping bag, just a liner.
The bad news - it will be busy - so you may want to plan to walk shorter stages so you don't have to race for a bed.
Regarding cash, I get by on 20-30 euros per day easily.
I picnic a lot and instead of eating my main meal at night, I get the Menu del Dia at mid day.
It generally costs less and is more food.
For ideas about picnic food, see my blogpost here:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.html

You will also find other helpful info if you peruse my blogposts listed along the side.

Hi Tina, me, my brother and sister walked last week of Aug till Oct 4. We budgeted ourselves to 25 Euro and it was more than enough. We stayed in alburgue most of the time budgeted at 5-10E. Our breakfast was cafe con leche and croissant. Similar to Annie we have menu de dia at around 1400H, this is 10E usually; after that we usually nap and when we wake up we look for a tienda or grocery store to buy our dinner and fruits/cookies to snack on for the next day.
Our biggest expense were the airfare, I flew in from East coast(USA) and my siblings from Manila.
You will enjoy the walk and truly is a life changing experience.

It's easy to get stressed over all the decisions to be made! I'm closing in on the last of mine. Just remember that choices can always be re-made, so make each one and move on to the next. And step away as needed....

You can add your tentative departure date to the calendar to alert others to your travels.

Buen Camino!

Thank you. I'll go looking for the calendar. :)

If you stay in Alberques only then thirty a day would be more than adequate for basic living with a couple of decent meals tossed in and some wine. We saved money buy buying eggs and boiling them, purchasing bread and cheese and making our own coffee. It adds a bit of weight but was worth it for us. Breakfast on the camino was about three euros and really not very good. It is all up to you and your expectations.

Thanks, bread, cheese and eggs sound fine for me. :)

Hi Tina. I've walked in July/August.
The good news - it will be HOT so you won't have to carry as much gear. No jacket, just a windbreaker or fleece. No heavy sleeping bag, just a liner.
The bad news - it will be busy - so you may want to plan to walk shorter stages so you don't have to race for a bed.
Regarding cash, I get by on 20-30 euros per day easily.
I picnic a lot and instead of eating my main meal at night, I get the Menu del Dia at mid day.
It generally costs less and is more food.
For ideas about picnic food, see my blogpost here:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/08/lunch-on-camino-santiago.html

You will also find other helpful info if you peruse my blogposts listed along the side.

I've been coming across your blog a lot in my research. Thank you for all your details. I loved that one about the food and you're helping me feel a little better. Picnic food works for me. A few fruits, bread, cheese and eggs works for me. :) Now hopefully I won't just walk into someone's house thinking it is a Tienda!

Hi Tina, me, my brother and sister walked last week of Aug till Oct 4. We budgeted ourselves to 25 Euro and it was more than enough. We stayed in alburgue most of the time budgeted at 5-10E. Our breakfast was cafe con leche and croissant. Similar to Annie we have menu de dia at around 1400H, this is 10E usually; after that we usually nap and when we wake up we look for a tienda or grocery store to buy our dinner and fruits/cookies to snack on for the next day.
Our biggest expense were the airfare, I flew in from East coast(USA) and my siblings from Manila.
You will enjoy the walk and truly is a life changing experience.

Thanks. I totally agree, airfare is going to be horrible for me. Right now it's over $1000. Since I can't book it yet, I'm hoping it will drop some!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tina, I'm also hoping to walk at the same time as you next July so might see you out there :) Buen Camino!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/summer-july-camino.35709/

Here's a link to a thread on the Equipment page I wrote after finishing on July 28th last year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.