• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just wondering, did anyone ever walk for a deceased pet/animal?

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
I know some people walk a Camino for a deceased friend or loved one, family. So in this context walking for an animal might sound wrong or disrespectful.
And it never came to my mind to do so until when yesterday I suddenly lost a beloved furry friend, not a youngster, but still she was the youngest of our tiny pack of 3 Siberian huskies.
My first thought was I need to cancel the whole journey, how could I walk in just 4 weeks from now. But then the brain haze cleared up a bit and it seems that I will of course walk, but it feels like it will be a walk different from what was planned originally. I will walk it for her – wether I want it or not.

So I am just curious, did anyone else ever walk for a non-human being?

IMG_1908.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know some people walk a Camino for a deceased friend or loved one, family. So in this context walking for an animal might sound wrong or disrespectful.
And it never came to my mind to do so until when yesterday I suddenly lost a beloved furry friend, not a youngster, but still she was the youngest of our tiny pack of 3 Siberian huskies.
My first thought was I need to cancel the whole journey, how could I walk in just 4 weeks from now. But then the brain haze cleared up a bit and it seems that I will of course walk, but it feels like it will be a walk different from what was planned originally. I will walk it for her – wether I want it or not.

View attachment 144693
I’m sorry for your loss, and I don’t think that feeling grief for a a loved pet is disrespectful to others who may have lost a person.

In answer to your question: yes, and I’m not alone.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There is a 10 year gap in my walking history. I adopted a hard-to-place dog from a rescue centre: three legs, one eye, very little brain! A very rough time had left him very troubled at first. He became so strongly attached to me that I could not leave him at home for any significant length of time. After his death I began long-distance walking again. I did not walk for him but for several years he walked along with me in my imagination.

Here is a portrait in chalk on black card - a birthday card drawn by my daughter. Framed behind glass now. Precious.

Woody-chalk.jpg

PS: This was not Photoshopped - it really was the registration number of a neighbour's car at the time! :)
3-paw-small.jpg

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I should note that if you want your Compostela "In Vicarie Pro", that the poor clerk will probably not be permitted to enter "Fluffy", though I believe that Henrythedog successfully walked for "Henry".

Roman Catholic teaching, which the custom comes from, certainly supports blessing pets, just as it supports blessing farm animals. But please keep in mind that In Vicarie Pro was originally meant to support gaining a plenary indulgence for the soul of the departed. The subject of whether animals have souls *that need Gods forgiveness* is... debated.

I should note that if you want your Compostela "In Vicarie Pro", that the poor clerk will probably not be permitted to enter "Fluffy", though I believe that Henrythedog successfully walked for "Henry".

Roman Catholic teaching, which the custom comes from, certainly supports blessing pets, just as it supports blessing farm animals. But please keep in mind that In Vicarie Pro was originally meant to support gaining a plenary indulgence for the soul of the departed. The subject of whether animals have souls *that need Gods forgiveness* is... debated.
Thus my only complaint with Thomas Aquinas, as the above being a legacy (imho) of his assertion that dogs have no souls.

He did not have, I think, real exposure to canines of quality.

The only problem that dogs present is that their lives are too short for us, their fur-less buddies.

B

84388683-C6A6-4A1C-81F8-CEBE0876F6F2.jpeg
We have walked for our beloved, deceased four-legged child, also a perragrina who did the Camino primitivo with us in 2017. It was a beautiful time to mourn, recall the time and memories she gave us, and accept that she needed to cross that bridge on a new journey. Every time I reach obradoiro now, I will look at those clouds above and see my loved ones face, greeting me as I enter. The notion that it is disrespectful to walk for our animals is in itself disrespectful. Not everyone can have children and the world is not human-centric. Every life form has a role to play. Walk for whom you would walk for, your heart will thank you for it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My advice, and personal plan for my terminally ill cat / daughter, is to walk a Camino. I will then ask for the Compostela “In Vicare Pro” of my “daughter” Samantha.

In the end, it’s between you and your God. To the staff at the pilgrim office, a name is a name. Seriously, no one is going to ask.

And yes, I do expect to see all my pets at the Heavenly Gates.” On the other side of The Rainbow Bridge.

Hope this helps,

Tom

View attachment 144693
First, may I say I'm so sorry for your loss. I know the despair and heartache well. Second, my answer to your question is yes. In fact, I ended up walking the Frances to help me heal. I didn't plan the trip, didn't train, really knew nothing more than what a friend who had done it told me about it. I went to REI, bought a few items, hopped on a plane and figured out how to get to St. John Pied de Port and started walking. I also held a special ceremony at Cruz de Ferro in the early morning hours. The Camino provided me the space to freely grieve, to remember the special memories and to cherish how much my life has been enriched by the love of my "babies".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked my Camino last year for my sweet boy Jacques (aka Señor Jacques), who passed a few months before I left for SJPP. I wore a locket with a picture of him and some of his ashes the entire way, and left a photo of him along with a rock from his favorite beach where we used to play together at the Cruz de Ferro. It was a powerful and healing part of the mourning process for me. I hope your walk is for you too. Buen Camino to you.

IMG_2650.JPGIMG_2645 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also walked in September - Camino del Norte, partly for my dear Brodie. He was with me - as I wear a circle of life necklace with some of his ashes in it.... and I left a photo of him at one of the alters somewhere getting clost to Santiago when I was called inside to do so.

Brodie sad.JPG

Sure, you can walk for any critter you like. Asking for a Compostela in their name might be pushing it. Animals are innocents, they don't willingly do wrong, and are therefore not subject to doctrines of sin and condemnation. They don't need plenary indulgences or forgiveness, and so no need for penitencial indulgences or certificates.
We walk to honor their memory, but we fundamentally walk for ourselves, to walk through their loss and out the other side where they'd probably want us to be.
Redemption comes in many guises. Sometimes it's furry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you everyone, your reactions and your stories are very moving. ❤️

I do not want to ask for a Compostela in her name. As stated, animals carry no guilt whatsoever. In the end it is part of my own process of coping and the wish to simply do something for her as there is not much else I can do for her any longer.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-13 um 09.51.27.pngBildschirmfoto 2023-04-14 um 17.27.35.png

So many beautiful responses !

Our family dog, Lady, died on 17 February, her 14th birthday. Her death did not motivate my Camino (I write this from Sarria), but it feels like I have wept 100,000 tears for her whilst walking. I miss her so much.

This camino has been utterly wonderful & this 71 yr old non-practicing Presbyterian has been filled with the Body of Christ in ways that are illuminating beyond words.

849B609A-6742-4113-B8F1-FFFF81235173.jpeg

View attachment 144693
I’m so sorry for your loss! I’ve walked a few Caminos in honor of my beloved pets and I even walked the Portuguese in order to go to Fatima for holy water in hopes it would ease the suffering of one of my fur babies.
If you put the flames from all the candles I’ve lit for mine, it would be seen from space!
I hope you find peace and your beloved dog’s spirit along the Way!🐾💜

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome in 2017 a few weeks after our beloved Golden, Keeley, died and lit a candle for her at every open church along the way. I was a bit concerned that I was doing something sacrilegious (I’m Episcopalian ) but a Catholic companion reminded me of Pope Francis’ assurance that there is room in heaven for all of God’s creatures.

View attachment 144693
The best honour you could pay your beloved pet is to undertake your walk, to carry a photo of him/her and to tell anyone you get close to his/her story. The pure and unconditional love a pet both gives and receives is worthy of a pilgrimage. If anybody you meet can’t understand that you’re better off without them.

There is a 10 year gap in my walking history. I adopted a hard-to-place dog from a rescue centre: three legs, one eye, very little brain! A very rough time had left him very troubled at first. He became so strongly attached to me that I could not leave him at home for any significant length of time. After his death I began long-distance walking again. I did not walk for him but for several years he walked along with me in my imagination.

Here is a portrait in chalk on black card - a birthday card drawn by my daughter. Framed behind glass now. Precious.

View attachment 144695

PS: This was not Photoshopped - it really was the registration number of a neighbour's car at the time! :)
View attachment 144698
What a beautiful story and what a wonderful sounding dog. We rescued a mother(18 months) and her puppy (3 months) in July 2019. They were from Huercal Overa in Andalucia. The mother has one eye and has Leishmania, a disease endemic in Southern Spain.She has limited mobility and various other symptoms. I too have not undertaken a lengthy stage Walk or even a lengthy day walk since we got them.The stoicism and unconquerable spirit of a dog is a true inspiration and a true manifestation of love.
Thanks for telling us about your beloved dog.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
But please keep in mind that In Vicarie Pro was originally meant to support gaining a plenary indulgence for the soul of the departed. The subject of whether animals have souls *that need Gods forgiveness* is... debated.

They don't need plenary indulgences or forgiveness, and so no need for penitencial indulgences or certificates.

I have the utmost respect for the beliefs and traditions of those of faith; but I’m sure I’m not alone in not being Roman Catholic but still claiming (on many occasions) a compostela.

In addition to those in my name I have one for MrsHtD, one for Henry the (actual) dog and one nearly a decade ago for Bert the treacherous cat.

Those who believe that all animals are innocent have clearly never met Bert who was (I apologise in advance); a little bastard. But I loved him. After many trials and travails at the age of (at least) 12 he nearly killed our new neighbour’s big young posh cat and then finally died the next day through exhaustion. Retired undefeated. QEPD

For myself, and others, it’s an each-way bet. Should I ever find myself in front of the pearly gates I’m confident I’ll not be on the VIP list, and may have a fair bit of explaining to do. It’s doubtful that a piece of laser-printed temporal paper is going to make a difference; but what harm can it do?

I’ll struggle to get through St Peter’s gate, so I’m hoping to get through the dog-door where St Francis may allow my best friend to put a word in for me.

It’s entirely possible to be sincerely respectful of another’s beliefs but also have a different perspective.

Thus my only complaint with Thomas Aquinas, as the above being a legacy (imho) of his assertion that dogs have no souls.

He did not have, I think, real exposure to canines of quality.

The only problem that dogs present is that their lives are too short for us, their fur-less buddies.

B
Thomas Aquinas obviously never saw two dogs chasing each other on a sandy beach on a spring day.

I have the utmost respect for the beliefs and traditions of those of faith; but I’m sure I’m not alone in not being Roman Catholic but still claiming (on many occasions) a compostela.
The Compostela is available to all who meet the cathedral's conditions - and being a Roman Catholic is not one of those. You can claim yours with a clear conscience. The indulgences that may be associated with walking a Camino are a more complicated business and have additional religious conditions which include sacramental acts normally only open to Catholics. Not likely to be of much interest to non-Catholics anyway. Or to a lot of Catholics for that matter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What about goldfish? Can they be blessed? Or Fireflies? Or Unicorns?

View attachment 144693
Not exactly the same, but on my first Camino in 2014, the most unusual Pilgrim I encountered was a tiny French Woman. She was walking with a bird cage containing a canary. The word was that the canary was the soul of her dead husband and she was taking his soul to Santiago.
She astounded us all because she was carrying this cage in a very specific way, with her arm at 90 degrees up, and her wrist bent backwards holding the top of the cage. None of us could imagine walking a km without being in pain doing that, let alone the length of a Camino.
She was about 5 foot of steely, silent, determination, who interacted with no-one, but focussed on keeping herself and that canary moving towards Santiago.

Little Dog got bored about half way through this thread. That deep emphatic sigh - nothing to see here, move along, move along.

I walked my first Camino for a drug dealing pikey who’d have had the wheels off your car while he was issuing the parking ticket and an Orphanage boy who spent his whole, too short, life trying to make sure that no child ever had the childhood he had. Both of them had dogs, lots of dogs, Little Dog’s mother and grandmother among them.

If you want to walk for your dog walk for your dog. What the Pilgrim Office, this forum, any one but you want to make of it is but a fart in a hurricane

View attachment 144693
I personally feel you walk the camino for yourself. It facilitates reflection and healing in your life. People and pets are apart of that reflection and healing. Buen camino

We walked the Camino Portuguese in April2018. We had just put our 15 yr old dog down in March. We had him cremated and we took a small container of his ashes to Muxia at the end. I said, as we threw the ashes, “ we’ve taken you on your longest walk ever”

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

View attachment 144693
It is entirely your Camino and you can with pride and confidence share ( or not share) that info with anyone along the way. Buen Camino

I’ve seen photos of pets as well as old collars left at way markers, and I think it’s a wonderful tribute.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My advice, and personal plan for my terminally ill cat / daughter, is to walk a Camino. I will then ask for the Compostela “In Vicare Pro” of my “daughter” Samantha.

In the end, it’s between you and your God. To the staff at the pilgrim office, a name is a name. Seriously, no one is going to ask.

And yes, I do expect to see all my pets at the Heavenly Gates.” On the other side of The Rainbow Bridge.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Hi Tom,
Having just tried and failed yesterday to include my ill 80-year-old sister on my Compostela, and having walked with that intention, I found that the volunteer did not know what the term “in vicare pro” means.
I found no one before going in to get the Compostela who seemed “askable” for this special request. She said there was nothing she could do except to wish me and my sister well, and I left it at that, seeing no recourse at that point. Perhaps the process could be made clearer to both Pilgrims and volunteers. I’m aware of the good work all of the volunteers, including you, do, and the general pressure of the seemingly endless line at the door.
Please accept my thanks for that. I will tell my sister I walked for her and give her my Compostela.
All the best,
Paul

I am sorry for your loss! I don't know if anyone ever walked "for a deceased animal", but many walk and remember those we have lost - and I don't see why an animal could not also be remembered. The Camino is a perfect place to process grief of any kind, whether it be the loss of a loved one, the loss of a beloved animal, the loss of health, the loss of a relationship, the loss of a job... we all grieve many things in our life, and the Camino is the perfect place to deal with your emotions.

I’ve seen photos of pets as well as old collars left at way markers, and I think it’s a wonderful tribute.
Frankly, I don't understand this.

I think it is litter.

No disrespect to anyone who wants to remember anyone or any animal but my emotional, significant momento is only relevant to me - to anyone else it is litter.

Most of us on this forum are guests when doing a Camino, and I think we should show a little respect to our hosts by not littering their country.

There are teams of volunteers who regularly clean up significant locations and I've heard of some of the things they've had to pick up!

And don't get me started on the ceremonial burning of boots and gear.

Sometimes our common sense seems to go out the window when we think we are following some kind of a "tradition".

I have left a trail of stones, pebbles and sometimes seashells around the world (and one banana skin). We can remember and honour who we want without disrespecting our hosts.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Tom,
Having just tried and failed yesterday to include my ill 80-year-old sister on my Compostela, and having walked with that intention, I found that the volunteer did not know what the term “in vicare pro” means.
I found no one before going in to get the Compostela who seemed “askable” for this special request. She said there was nothing she could do except to wish me and my sister well, and I left it at that, seeing no recourse at that point. Perhaps the process could be made clearer to both Pilgrims and volunteers. I’m aware of the good work all of the volunteers, including you, do, and the general pressure of the seemingly endless line at the door.
Please accept my thanks for that. I will tell my sister I walked for her and give her my Compostela.
All the best,
Paul
If you are still in Santiago, and able to return to the office, do so. Ask the security folks to let you in to see La Jefa - the woman in charge. Sra. Noelia Marquez is the overall manager of the office. Srta. Maria Neira Calvo is also a manager. In any event, see any permanent staff - not a volunteer - sometimes volunteer training is spotty.

You are entitled to this and should ask for it if you are there and can still do so.

Depending on who is working the front door at security, telling them that "El Sherif" or "Don Tomás" told you to return should do the trick. Unless the security person is brand new, they know me - or of me.

I am sorry for this inconvenience. Hope this helps,

Tom

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
If you are still in Santiago, and able to return to the office, do so. Ask the security folks to let you in to see La Jefa - the woman in charge. Sra. Noelia Marquez is the overall manager of the office. Srta. Maria Neira Calvo is also a manager. In any event, see any permanent staff - not a volunteer - sometimes volunteer training is spotty.

You are entitled to this and should ask for it if you are there and can still do so.

Depending on who is working the front door at security, telling them that "El Sherif" or "Don Tomás" told you to return should do the trick. Unless the security person is brand new, they know me - or of me.

I am sorry for this inconvenience. Hoep this helps,

Tom

Hope this helps.

Tom
I’m on my way!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I am sorry for this inconvenience. Hoep this helps,

Tom

Hope this helps.

Tom
Just a question to better understand. Is it a requirement that the office write the “in vicare pro” and the name, or can you do it yourself? This was a bit of confusion I have after another thread where it sounded like people where adding it themselves, and asking about how you indicate this on the new website.
Thanks

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vicarie-pro.79492/#post-1138832

Just a question to better understand. Is it a requirement that the office write the “in vicare pro” and the name, or can you do it yourself? This was a bit of confusion I have after another thread where it sounded like people where adding it themselves, and asking about how you indicate this on the new website.
Thanks

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vicarie-pro.79492/#post-1138832
Hard to answer the question. In the normal course of things, a pilgrim will mention the non-present person, telling the staff person that they are deceased, aged, infirm, or most of the above. The staff person will write the phrase "In Vicare Pro (first name last name of other person)" below the pre-printed information.

If the staff person annotates the Compostela, it will be in the identical ink and writing, or type font if laser-printed. Plus, this is the "official" way of doing. it.

As to a DIY effort, it is between you, your conscience and your God. Whatever you do must be right - FOR YOU.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back