• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lent on the Camino

sun is shining

Hi all,

looking for your experiences when observing Lent (or similar periods like Ramadan) while walking the Camino. Do you observe these traditions and - if yes - how? Do you give up specific things or do you think that walking the Camino is „enough“ for you in the first place.

Just interested in different views and ideas. I’m walking in Spain next year during Lent and trying to figure out how to incorporate the fasting period into the walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

looking for your experiences when observing Lent (or similar periods like Ramadan) while walking the Camino. Do you observe these traditions and - if yes - how? Do you give up specific things or do you think that walking the Camino is „enough“ for you in the first place.

Just interested in different views and ideas. I’m walking in Spain next year during Lent and trying to figure out how to incorporate the fasting period into the walk.
I see from your disclosed information that you are in England. Perhaps the St James Confraternity people (csj.org.uk) might have some information to offer you, if you ever head to the capital..
I offer you this:
To Keep a True Lent

Is this a fast, to keep
The larder lean?
And clean
From fat of veals and sheep ?

Is it to quit the dish
Of flesh, yet still
To fill
The platter high with fish ?

Is it to fast an hour,
Or ragg’d to go,
Or show
A downcast look and sour ?

No ; ‘tis a fast to dole
Thy sheaf of wheat,
And meat,
Unto the hungry soul.

It is to fast from strife,
From old debate
And hate ;
To circumcise thy life.

To show a heart grief-rent ;
To starve thy sin,
Not bin ;
And that’s to keep thy Lent.

Robert Herrick 1648

This has been a guiding light for me since I first came across it.

Since we go every year in late March / early April, we have walked during Lent many times now. Being there for Semana Santa and Easter is very special. This is personal, of course, but I think the poem above captures it in the spirit of Mark 2:27: “The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath”. What is important, to me, is to spend time in greater awareness of our need for and connection to God. We stop any Lenten fasting when we get to Spain, and instead try and commit more time to thought and prayer and living simply and with gratitude. Wonderfully, a Camino gives ample opportunity for this!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thoughts...
Some of our Jewish brethren remind each other of their High Holy Days ( and Pesach (Passover)) while on Camino. Not sure how they handle their fasts and/ or unleavened bread...perhaps they might see this and comment.

Our Eastern Orthodox brethren have more and more strict fasts during Lent..but since pilgrimage to either Santiago or to Rome might not be significant in their worldview, I'm not sure whether the Camino would be considered an acceptable alternative to their Lenten practice.

Ramadan would be very difficult, since (if I recall correctly) not even water is permitted between sunrise and sunset. I am not aware of an exemption for athletes, or for people making the Haji- only the sick or the pregnant. And, again, going to Santiago or Rome isn't likely to be any more significant in Muslim teaching than any athletic event.

Which leaves Lent - here's the Roman Catholic version. Only 2 partial fasts - one meal a day for only Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, plus up to two snacks that don't together make up a second full meal. No restrictions on water. No meat on those two days or on other Fridays during Lent, but fish is permitted.

Frankly, I don't eat meat on any Friday as a personal practice. In Spain, it's a little more challenging, but it's certainly doable. As long as I remember that it's Friday 😉

Preparing for Lent in advance of your pilgrimage is a beautiful idea! In regards to practices, I recommend starting with the 'why' question. Assuming you are unfamiliar with the purposes and practices of the Lenten season, doing a little Googling. While I cannot speak to other religions or faith traditions, here's my take from a Catholic sinner's perspective.

Prayer is an incredibly important Lenten practice among the faithful. When walking the Camino, you've got the time for a conversation with God. A Rosary a day is easily do-able. If that's too much to start, consider just doing a decade of the rosary here and there each day and, perhaps, build up from there. Attend Mass whenever you can and (if you are Catholic) take the sacraments, even on weekdays (side note: taking confession before starting the Camino really works for me; consider it if you're a practicing or fallen away Catholic). Maybe make a commitment to doing the Stations of the Cross once a week (Fridays during Lent are a popular time for that).

The fasting and abstinence parts are important Lenten practices for Catholics. When speaking of abstinence in reference to Lent, that means regulating the quality of the food we eat (aesthetically, not necessarily nutritionally). So maybe take a pass on the café con leche or sticking to the pilgrims menu and drinking more water and less vino tinto. I think that abstaining from meat on Fridays during Lent is easily done on the Camino, but consider whether you need to strictly fast when what you really need are the calories and nutrition to keep on walking.

Lent is also a penitential season in which we strive to atone for our sins and purify our lives in preparation for the Easter celebration. 'Giving something up" as a form of penance is a common practice. Consider that you will have already given up the comfort and security of home, and probably at no inconsiderable cost to do so. Unless you are taking the bus from village to village every day and enjoying a sumptuous banquet every night, you are certainly already practicing a form of daily penance (some would say self-mortification), so offer up those sore calves, achy back, and blisters. If there's something else you are moved to sacrifice, then go for it but there's no need to make yourself (and certainly not your companions) completely miserable.

A final Lenten practice is to keep the spirit of almsgiving. It can/should be more than leaving money in the poor box (which is still a great thing). Think "selflessness." Be that person who provides for another pilgrim when the opportunity inevitably presents itself (it will, every day). Be that generous pilgrim at the donativo. Thank a nun, a hospitalero, or a shopkeeper for her devout service.

God bless and buen Camino!

Preparing for Lent in advance of your pilgrimage is a beautiful idea! In regards to practices, I recommend starting with the 'why' question. Assuming you are unfamiliar with the purposes and practices of the Lenten season, doing a little Googling. While I cannot speak to other religions or faith traditions, here's my take from a Catholic sinner's perspective.

Prayer is an incredibly important Lenten practice among the faithful. When walking the Camino, you've got the time for a conversation with God. A Rosary a day is easily do-able. If that's too much to start, consider just doing a decade of the rosary here and there each day and, perhaps, build up from there. Attend Mass whenever you can and (if you are Catholic) take the sacraments, even on weekdays (side note: taking confession before starting the Camino really works for me; consider it if you're a practicing or fallen away Catholic). Maybe make a commitment to doing the Stations of the Cross once a week (Fridays during Lent are a popular time for that).

The fasting and abstinence parts are important Lenten practices for Catholics. When speaking of abstinence in reference to Lent, that means regulating the quality of the food we eat (aesthetically, not necessarily nutritionally). So maybe take a pass on the café con leche or sticking to the pilgrims menu and drinking more water and less vino tinto. I think that abstaining from meat on Fridays during Lent is easily done on the Camino, but consider whether you need to strictly fast when what you really need are the calories and nutrition to keep on walking.

Lent is also a penitential season in which we strive to atone for our sins and purify our lives in preparation for the Easter celebration. 'Giving something up" as a form of penance is a common practice. Consider that you will have already given up the comfort and security of home, and probably at no inconsiderable cost to do so. Unless you are taking the bus from village to village every day and enjoying a sumptuous banquet every night, you are certainly already practicing a form of daily penance (some would say self-mortification), so offer up those sore calves, achy back, and blisters. If there's something else you are moved to sacrifice, then go for it but there's no need to make yourself (and certainly not your companions) completely miserable.

A final Lenten practice is to keep the spirit of almsgiving. It can/should be more than leaving money in the poor box (which is still a great thing). Think "selflessness." Be that person who provides for another pilgrim when the opportunity inevitably presents itself (it will, every day). Be that generous pilgrim at the donativo. Thank a nun, a hospitalero, or a shopkeeper for her devout service.

Does this not infringe rule 3?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for that @Jarrad. A better exposition than I ever got from Priest, Padre or that nice Lady at Sunday School.

In my own traditions I guess the period of Lent kind of coincides with the "hungry gap". Not much left of the Winter stores; not much growing or harvestable. An embargo (taboo?) against taking Rabbit, Hare or Fowl while they, bless 'em were busy reproducing, but 'game' fish were done with their frolics and eel were a long way from theirs. The hard rule: look to the old and the young. Such as was available went to them. The rest ranged and grafted to provide the necessary. And the Old Guys got some wine and some smoke just so they knew we hadn't forgotten them.

I like the ways in which we all try to be like each other even when we are often very different

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all for the wonderful responses - from poems to fantastic explanations. I really appreciate the discourse on an ancient practice that is nowadays - just like the Camino - followed (at least in parts) by many people from all walks of life and (non-) religious / spiritual inclinations.

I guess @Jarrad that indeed "just" walking the Camino might be enough penance but for me it feels exactly the other way round - like a big present that I'm giving myself of free-time, outside of the daily grind, doing what I enjoy. So all the things I usually "give up" at home (TV, social media, outside food etc) are gone anyway (and believe me, I'm very much looking forward to that!) I'll take your words re: almsgiving to heart. Thank you for these wise suggestions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Back in the old days, pilgrims on the road were exempted from fasting, except for Good Friday. They needed to keep up their strength!
The pilgrim was/is a penitent, a person who voluntarily lays down his usual identity and comforts and takes on the role of the "poor wayfaring stranger" who needs others and is willing to step up when others are in need. He is an oddball on purpose, but the people around him know his spirituality benefits us all, so they give the weirdness a pass and maybe share some food or time with him.
He doesn't have a comfy bed to sleep on, he doesn't know where his next meal will come from. He trusts in providence to get him to Santiago. It's a long, hard road, living on faith. But millions of others like him made the trip, and made the path famous.
For the hardcore old-school pilgrim, the pilgrimage itself is a form of Lenten self-denial. Fasting from food would be gilding the lily!

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.