• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kyte Backpack for Women

Steve Hackman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2017)
Muxia & Fisterra (2015)
Via Francigena (2018)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi all,

I use a 38L Kestral from Osprey for my camino but my wife is thinking of getting the Kyte series which is designed for ladies but comes only in the 36 or 46L size. I think 46 is to much and think she should perhaps get the 38L Kestral like mine. Any ladies have suggestions or experience with the Kyte series over the Kestral?
Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used the Kestrel 38L for two Caminos and it was fine.
I now have a Tempest 30L and it's plenty large enough.
Best to try them both on if possible.
Less is more on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Kyte is designed for a woman's body. I have the 46 liter and it's very nice. She doesn't have to fill it. Mine is only half full and will stay that way. The 36 liter is a better size. Let her decide. It's not your decision to make :)

Last edited:
I have used both the Kytes. I bought the larger one, used it on a trip and went down a size. I donated the first one to a friend, who loves it. The difference is the larger one has lateral side pockets that I ended up just filling with extra stuff. Height was the same, structure was the same, weight a smidge different. But I only use the Kyte in winter, when heavier gear is needed. Check out the Tempest 30 or 40 for warmer weather. Light, super comfy, designed for a woman.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

I use a 38L Kestral from Osprey for my camino but my wife is thinking of getting the Kyte series which is designed for ladies but comes only in the 36 or 46L size. I think 46 is to much and think she should perhaps get the 38L Kestral like mine. Any ladies have suggestions or experience with the Kyte series over the Kestral?
Thanks
I have just ordered the Kyte 36 after much research and am waiting for it to arrive. I think the 46 L is too big for a woman for Camino purposes and I felt the top piece would come up too high and bump into the back of my head or hat, which would be annoying. I definately wanted a women specific pack since I was investing in a new one after borrowing a men's medium Osprey Atmos 25 L the last two years. I would only get your wife the Kestrel if she is comfortable doing some training in yours first.

I traded in my Kestrel (well, not literally - still use it for local hiking) for an Exos 46L. The Exos line is significantly lighter than the Kestrel/Kyte line, but still has the trampoline back architecture, which makes for much cooler walking in warm weather. If your wife is walking caminos with you, the 36L size pack should be just fine (assuming you are not walking in winter). Walking as a couple, there is much communal gear (guide book, first aid) that can be divided between you. As a solo walker, I have to carry it myself, so a bit larger bag works better.

Hi all,

Thanks
Hi Steve,
My comment is not about the Kyte or the Kestral but , as others have commented, which one fits. And does either the Kyte or the Kestral fit better than another brand? I've walked 4 caminos with 3 different backpacks (but that's another story). The most uncomfortable one of all was an Osprey Kestral (for me). No matter how much I pulled on the shoulder straps I couldn't get it close enough to my body to be comfortable, even though it was professionally fitted. I fell for the Osprey lore about how good they are - and I'm sure they are for some - but they're really nothing special and no better than many others. Like shoes and boots - it's all about the fit.

In my opinion, your wife would be best to go to a store or several and try on a bunch of backpacks, wearing each one around the store for awhile (loaded with about 20# - usually available in the store).

I don't know why one backpack can feel so much different than another but it makes a huge difference (at least for me) when walking long distances.

The Kyte is designed for a woman's body. I have the 46 liter and it's very nice. She doesn't have to fill it. Mine is only half full and will stay that way. The 36 liter is a better size. Let her decide. It's not your decision to make :)

Oh believe me, I KNOW it's not my decision ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think a good place to start is with her size. I am 5'2" and weigh 105 and have used the women's XS Kyte 36L - which is actually 34L for 3 different caminos. It has been more than enough for me. Trying to follow the 10% body weight rule, I originally settled on the bag as it was the lightest option available with all the features I wanted. At just over 3 lbs, it was also the only bag I tried on that actually fit my frame. Before our first camino, we followed recommendations and went to our local sports store to try out our options. We loaded up different packs with 10-15 lb sandbags and wandered around the store numerous times for extended lengths of time. My husband decided to go with the S Kestral 48l which is actually 46L.

As I stated above, I am not a big person, therefore my clothes are not very big either and I was able to easily get everything into my bag, including a sleeping bag, the first time around. I do not recommend a bigger bag as you may feel compelled to fill it, rationalizing that you have the room.

If you have a good outdoor store, they will probably have a reasonable return policy. If the pack fits, take it home and see if all her gear fits. If it doesn't, then your question is answered and she can try something else.

I really, really love this bag and would recommend it in a heart beat. The product is high quality and has served me very well. We added the Osprey water system after camino one, and cannot imagine changing my set up for any future walks.

Buen Camino!

Hello everyone. I am about to og on my first Camino very soon. I am trying different backpacks and I have to choose between kyte 36 and sirrius 36. i like that sirrius is more breathable but it is not comfortable on my hips- So I want to ask those of you who have used kyte 36- was it ok in the warm weather? will I survive :) thank you

Love my Tempest 30
20170414_125650.jpg
Small size makes for high levels of packing discipline and happy legs. (I walk on my own and don't often use pack transfer)

BUT I have a bigger Osprey for proper hiking involving stoves and whatnot, so if you do other things, and don't want to buy two, you could go for a 4o something litre and stuff the bottom 1/3 with bubble wrap for camino purposes.

I was totally satisfied with my Osprey Kyte 36, especially the comfortable fit.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just finished my Camino a couple weeks ago and I was very happy with my Kyte 46. It was hardly filled to capacity and fit nicely in the overhead of the planes I took. The 36L would have been fine too. There was no temptation to over pack it.
The Kyte is not "warm". It sits away from your back so it's not like it's going to make you warmer than the Sirrius. I'm not even sure what you mean by breathable in this case. The Kyte with the rain cover will keep your belongings dry even in the worst rains. I only occasionally wore a rain jacket when it poured (I was too hot because of the temperatures, not the pack) and never used a poncho. My stuff stayed dry. The hip belt and shoulder straps are very comfortable and I wouldn't have hiked the Primitivo with anything less sturdy. Comfort is the most important aspect of the pack.
That said, plenty of people love the Sirrius. So you need to decide what is more comfortable when carrying a load for long distances.

Thank you very much for Your replies! Good to hear that you were happy With Kyte. I think this is the one I wuld like to try.

I just finished my Camino a couple weeks ago and I was very happy with my Kyte 46. It was hardly filled to capacity and fit nicely in the overhead of the planes I took. The 36L would have been fine too. There was no temptation to over pack it.
The Kyte is not "warm". It sits away from your back so it's not like it's going to make you warmer than the Sirrius. I'm not even sure what you mean by breathable in this case. The Kyte with the rain cover will keep your belongings dry even in the worst rains. I only occasionally wore a rain jacket when it poured (I was too hot because of the temperatures, not the pack) and never used a poncho. My stuff stayed dry. The hip belt and shoulder straps are very comfortable and I wouldn't have hiked the Primitivo with anything less sturdy. Comfort is the most important aspect of the pack.
That said, plenty of people love the Sirrius. So you need to decide what is more comfortable when carrying a load for long distances.
Hi,
I mean that the <sirrius has more Space between the back and the backpack . So when you sweat, I guess it is better. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I mean that the <sirrius has more Space between the back and the backpack . So when you sweat, I guess it is better. :)
That extra space is what I disliked about the Sirrius. The load needs to be close to your back to carry well. I didn't like that feeling of the pack sitting so far away. It's not what I've been used to for the past 20 years. But some women don't mind it. I'm very sensitive to the heat and I didn't find the Kyte had any issues.
You might want to try both with a load and a real hike and see what your preference is.

Literally just got home from a trip with the Kyte 36. It was sweltering and I was pounding pavement with a full pack for a week. But the Kyte was fine. I wish I had packed lighter (again) but the pack was comfortable. My feet, however.....the heat gets to me every time and I'm starting to think Winter Pilgrim has the right idea.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Literally just got home from a trip with the Kyte 36. It was sweltering and I was pounding pavement with a full pack for a week. But the Kyte was fine. I wish I had packed lighter (again) but the pack was comfortable. My feet, however.....the heat gets to me every time and I'm starting to think Winter Pilgrim has the right idea.
Next time we're going in a colder month. May was too hot. We should start a group for pilgrims from cold climates :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or for those enjoying the natural heating system that Mother Nature provides at a sweet time in life.

I also loved my Kyte 36. I tried several lighter bags, but the Kyte was the only one that let me forget immediately that I was wearing it. But that doesn't mean someone else will feel the same. It's a very personal decision.

Hi all,

Thanks
Hi Steve,
I (female, 5’5”) chose the 38L Kestral, as did my husband (he has a much longer torso than me but the back adjustments make it that it can fit a variety of torso lengths) . We were professionally fitted and he moved the back adjustment to the large size and I moved the back adjustment to the smallest size. It was perfect for both of us. I tried the Kyte but it simply did not fit as well. On our first Camino we used different Osprey packs which we ended up selling when we got home...there was no back adjustment. That option is super important. Maybe your wife can try with the back adjusted to her height and see how it fits. As others have mentioned, try many but truly get a back adjusting pack. Enjoy your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.