• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies, how do you keep valuables safe

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
One month to go on my first camino. I"m excited, nervous, obsessing ...a little....

Ladies, I am trying to figure a simple system for daily cash needs and less frequent needs access passport credit cards, etc.

I have a credit card and passport
Wallet with rfid blocking. Not sure if it's the best option. I can put it in a hip pack...but don't want to be too obvious .

I am thinking of a money belt for that and most cash, with something else for daily cash, but not sure what.
use the money belt and hippack, or...?

I'm concerned mostly about walking around in villages and cities. I only want to take out what I need to. I don't have pockets on my pants/shorts that are secure, so that's not an option.

Any experience and suggestions are appreciated . 😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I kept everything in a hip pack, worn crossbody. It was actually the removable lid of my back pack that I added a belt to. Easy access to everything I needed. Everything I needed to get myself out of a jam was there. Passport, cash, phone, battery pack and cable etc. if I lost everything else I had what I needed to figure it out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always use a waist bag/hip belt/fanny pack...call it what you will.
Mine has an exterior zipper on the back side, which is where I carry my passport, credit/debit cards and my bigger chunk of bills. On the front are two zippers. In the larger one I carry sunglasses (when not on my head), my phone/camera, chapstick, and a few other small incidentals. In the smaller front zipper I only keep a small-ish coin purse that carries a lesser amount of cash I use during the day and replenish when needed in privacy. I wear it all day, all the time, so no possibilty of leaving it somewhere. I bring it in the private shower stalls as well, along with my clean clothes in a plastic bag. It goes with me in my sleeping bag at night.
I am not a fan of crossover bags for the Camino, and I do not like money belts as they can get quite sweaty.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's really personal preference and what you may already be familiar with.

I always wear a money belt beneath my clothing and also carry a little daily cash in my pockets and/or backpack hip pocket. But for looking around town after my walk I carry a lightweight cross body bag. The strap on my Eddie Bauer bag is adjustable and fairly substantial, and I like that for when I'm in Madrid prior to or after my Camino. Also, when I'm in Madrid I fashion a small lockable carabiner from the zipper of the bag to the strap, for added peace of mind.

I was thinking about something like this (Go-Travel Clip Pouch Coin Purses and Pouches - Black, 887) for daily money. Just slip it onto top of pants/short/shirt and have it flat against you. Anybody used one.??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes that one looks good. If you have a zippered pocket on the front of your pants with a coin purse that also works. Have only a limited amount of money in it where it can be taken.

Last edited:
One thing you might want to think about if you are carrying some sort of fanny pack or sling pack: use a carabeiner to attach it to a belt loop. That way if the thief tries to cut the strap, (which I've heard reports that they do) it still is attached to you.

sharing another idea, an undergarment crossbody. It’s light, soft tshirt material. Would have been a helpful thing to have on another trip when I was in large cities. Doubt I’ll use it for day to day Camino but it’s light enough that I plan to bring it along and use for the big travel days. IMG_4770.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like several other folks have mentioned I took very few valuables and they were always on my body and kept in the same place.

A small Patagonia "fanny pack"worked well for me (LW Travel mini Hip Pack Fanny Pack) . I NEVER took it off (except for when I was in the shower - then it was in plastic bag handing in the shower stall).

th
The pack is quite small & has 2 compartments. In the larger compartment I kept my passport & credential, a small pen, and envelope of Euros (all in zip-lock bag). In the smaller pouch was my travel wallet with: 1 bank card, 2 credit cards, travel insurance card & drivers license and a lip balm/sun screen.

I always wore the pouch to the front, often with a t-shirt or light jacket over top to keep it discreet. At night I loosened the pouch and slept with it on . It took a couple of nights to get used to, but I never worried about my valuables being lost or stolen, which was a huge relief as solo pilgrim.

Last edited:
I’ve used the Venture Travel neck pouch blocking crossbody underneath clothing and tucked into a deep pocket for past few caminos. It worked ok, but for this Camino
I purchased Stashbandz unisex travel money belt at suggestion of another pilgrim and have been training with it. It is comfortable and I don’t notice it while hiking.

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpeg
    IMG_1965.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 66
I used a PacSafe neck wallet except I wore it crossbody. During the day I would tighten it up so it would lay on my chest or stomach and in the evening I would loosen it so it was more like a crossbody bag. I then slept with this in my sleeping bag.
Yes, PacSafe bags are very well-made and secure with wire running through the belt. I have a waist bag that goes everywhere with me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If anyone likes pockets, lots of them hidden, secured , zipped, check Scottevest skort, I have bought their vest, cardigan, shirt, T shirt, skirt and pants when on sale over the years. Just saw this skort on sale. Really convenient for travel, only downside is the price.ED2F8993-9758-4B01-9E5A-9623E0455011.jpeg

One month to go on my first camino. I"m excited, nervous, obsessing ...a little....

Ladies, I am trying to figure a simple system for daily cash needs and less frequent needs access passport credit cards, etc.

Wallet with rfid blocking. Not sure if it's the best option. I can put it in a hip pack...but don't want to be too obvious .

I am thinking of a money belt for that and most cash, with something else for daily cash, but not sure what.

I'm concerned mostly about walking around in villages and cities. I only want to take out what I need to. I don't have pockets on my pants/shorts that are secure, so that's not an option.

I use a money belt--since its flat, it goes under my waistband of my pants. I carry cash, credit cards, passport and a list of emergency numbers in it. (Call your credit card holder before you go on your trip). Just keep out a small amount of cash for incidentals you might need during a stop along the way for a snack or meal.

I carry passport, credit cards and large money in a money belt under my pants. A waist pack carries my phone, camera, credencial, laminated copy of passport and daily money. Both stay with me always.

I carried (and continue to carry on our continued travels) this awesome little bag. It converts from a waist pack (how I wear it with my full pack) to a cross body in the evening. It's big enough for 2 passports (mine and my companion's), a lip balm, tissues, a tiny wallet, and whichever pair of glasses I'm not wearing (readers or sunnies).

I use this fanny pack/bum bag. It is nothing special - but what I like about is that it isn't totally flat like a moneybelt that you can only put your money/passport/cards in. But it isn't big and bulky and you still can hide it under your clothes depending on what you are wearing - however you can also put a phone, lip balm, and a few other items for quick access. It is much slimmer compared to many fanny pack/bum bags. It has the 2 pockets you see, plus one pocket in the bigger pocket and another zipper in back up against your body. This leaves you multiple places to keep your money/cards/passport/credential to make it a little harder for a pickpocket.

Anyhow I always keep my money/cards/passport/phone in it. I wear it up front. It sits under my backpack in the back, and just under the waistbelt of my backpack in front. I can pull my shirt or jacket over it. But also if in a crowded bus/train or other crowded situation, i can also just place my free hand strategically on it to keep aware of it all times. It is water resistant and I had no issues with it in rain - but I do put my passport/credential in another waterproof baggy of some sort.

I use an RFID wallet at home - but they make RFID envelops for passports and credit cards - I use those instead when travelling because they take up no more space than my cards/passport and weight almost nothing. They make fanny pack/bum bags that are theft resistant - but they are too heavy for my liking.

I also take this into the shower with me. Often there is a place for me to hang it in the shower, if not I get creative. But I also watch to make sure no one can reach in and grab it. Not that I am overly worried when in the shower - but you just never know. I also usually wear it when I am sleeping, and just position it however it feels most comfortable (don't usually notice I am wearing it).

Lockers - well - some places have decent lockers - but I don't leave valuables unattended even in the locker. Might use it when I am awake and in the room though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everyone has their own system, but here's mine: (1) money belt with passport, majority of my cash, extra credit card; (2) small wallet with little bit of cash, main credit card/debit card/ID. While I'm walking, the little wallet goes in the zip pocket on my pack's waist belt; if I'm in a crowded area/city I just walk with my hands on my waist belt. The money belt with all the important stuff goes in my pack, slid tightly into the Camelbak pocket. It's impossible to access it while I'm walking because it's against my back and zipped in. When I take off my pack to grab a coffee or chill for a bit during the day's walk, I take my wallet out of the waist belt, slide my hand into my pack and grab the money belt, and keep all of it on my person. When I'm in the albergues/hostels, same thing. When sleeping, it all gets zipped into my sleeping bag with me.

Personally, I don't like any extra stuff touching my body when I'm walking as I find it too sweaty/rash-inducing, but YMMV.

I carry passport, credit cards and large money in a money belt under my pants. A waist pack carries my phone, camera, credencial, laminated copy of passport and daily money. Both stay with me always.
Thank you, this was what I was thinking of doing.

Yes, PacSafe bags are very well-made and secure with wire running through the belt. I have a waist bag that goes everywhere with me.
Does that Waist bag have more than one zip pocket? The pix I saw don't show the inside

€60,-

Hi there, not sure what a hippack is but I used a small pack that went around my waist with the pack itself at the front. I went to bed dressed in the next day’s attire including my hip pack/pouch. It didnt disturb my sleep as I sleep side to side. ☺️

I use this waist pack which has several anti-theft features for peace of mind while traveling to/from the camino through busy airports, while in larger cities with a possibility of pickpockets or while sleeping in albergues. It holds my passport, credencial, credit card and larger cash as well as guidebook, phone and several other items and stays on me at all times. A small purse with cash for the day and my debit card rides in my zippered pants pocket.
In the highly unlikely case of a robbery with threat of force I would be more concerned about saving my life than saving my money.
There is always a hidden emergency banknote in my backpack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I carry a soft money belt under my pants. It it pretty thin- I keep my passport, money and credit cards in it. I have had it for years and is very comfortable. For my phone, small items (chapstick,etc.) and some money I carry a waist pack. I do keep a copy of my passport in the waist pack and my pilgrim credential book. I made a waist pack for the Camino last year. (see photo). I have also used Rei's waist pack. https://www.rei.com/product/168489/rei-co-op-trail-2-waist-pack.
I do have a small wallet by Chums (REI). I clip inside my waist pack with a little money/copy of passport. It's a small wallet but fits a lot. https://www.rei.com/product/199847/chums-surfshorts-wallet
Here is a https://www.rei.com/product/199847/chums-surfshorts-wallet

Here is a photo of the waist pack I made.

Attachments

• waist pack.jpg
    waist pack.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
I keep my passport, credit cards, and big money in a moneybelt worn UNDER my clothes and next to my body.

Once a day I take out my daily allowance, usually €20, and put it in a change purse that I carry in my Macabi skirt zipped pocket.

I sleep with that moneybelt on.
I take a ziplock bag and carry that moneybelt into the shower with me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love the idea of a laminated copy of your passport!
yeah, that worked for 95% of the time. There was one place that had a scanner
and the laminated copy reflected too much. So, I had to dig out my real passport.
But again, for most occasions I used the laminated version and the albergue just
wrote down my passport number. Still, I almost managed to lose my real passport
on one occasion. I inadvertently left a bag with some of my stuff at an albergue
and had to taxi back for it.

We used waist packs - worn in the front with backpacks, or in the back without. Ours were larger versions, which was perfect for our unplanned essential need to have backpacks transported due to injuries after the first few days. (Hubby had bad plantar fasciitis, I had hip pain later diagnosed as torn gluteal tendons - sending packs allowed us to continue our camino.) Our REI waist packs even had outer bottle pockets and daisy chains to attach drying socks or lightweight poncho. REI also has a smaller version.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I keep my passport, credit cards, and big money in a moneybelt worn UNDER my clothes and next to my body.

Once a day I take out my daily allowance, usually €20, and put it in a change purse that I carry in my Macabi skirt zipped pocket.

I sleep with that moneybelt on.
I take a ziplock bag and carry that moneybelt into the shower with me.
I sewed a couple of old money belts onto my skirt and pants per your directions (on the blog) for my camino last summer. I kept my back up cards and cash there. Worked great.

A money belt worn under your clothes has been the recommended security solution since approximately forever. Why use anything else?

Yes, money belts can be uncomfortable, but losing your valuable is even more uncomfortable.

-Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back