• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to address an Advancing Dog ..in Español please!!

RodlaRob

Oz Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Torres (2016) Portuguese (2016)
I'm soon to do a combo of Caminos starting in Sevilla. & have noticed safety issues with unrestrained dogs in several areas.
Now in English, my first approach to an advancing dog is to try & gain acceptance with some nicely worded "good boy or good girl" tactics if I can determine the sex quick enough.
NEED some advice please on what people have heard locals say when addressing dogs .... which is probably not just the Spanish translation of above 🤷

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Do what the dog almost certainly wants you to do: move away from the dog and whatever it is the dog wants to protect. Allow the dog to stay between you and whatever it wants to protect.

Depends what you mean by working dog, of course. But the best plan is to back off.

I'm soon to do a combo of Caminos starting in Sevilla. & have noticed safety issues with unrestrained dogs in several areas.
Now in English, my first approach to an advancing dog is to try & gain acceptance with some nicely worded "good boy or good girl" tactics if I can determine the sex quick enough.
NEED some advice please on what people have heard locals say when addressing dogs .... which is probably not just the Spanish translation of above 🤷
I am Spaniard from Galicia and I am not sure on how they address dogs in Andalucia. It could be different in every region of Spain. I would say "Que tal ?" (with a smile) that means How do you do? which also is understood by dogs in Galicia.

Now in English, my first approach to an advancing dog is to try & gain acceptance with some nicely worded "good boy or good girl" tactics if I can determine the sex quick enough
I think a soothing tone, in any language is more effective than choice of words, if it's a bored or lonely dog just looking for attention, it will pick up on your tone and body language. Not so effective with a working dog protecting its territory, who just wants you gone.

There have been a few threads on dog encounters/attacks lately, which might give the impression to some that it's rampant. It really isn't, it's just an occasional nuisance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you want to use words, I'd say just use the ones you're used to.

I "speak" to dogs in English, regardless of whether I'm in France, Spain, Portugal, or Italy. Seems to work.

As these are "unrestrained dogs", letting them scare you away if you're not scared of dogs is probably not best advice -- if they're running about unchecked, they need to remember they're not the boss on the Camino. Pilgrims and the Locals are. So either keep your stick or pole on the side the dog on to warn it away and carry on normally (always good advice), or face it if you're up to that, and anyway use whatever means to remind it that it's not in charge and/or you don't care about its crazy barking.

Looking it in the eye can often be a bad idea, which is to say a pointless time-waster, unless you're high enough on the aggressive or passive-aggressive scale to get away with it. You'll know yourself best in this regard, anyway.

The most annoying are the aggressive little barky ones, as they can set an entire village a-barking !!

The second most annoying ones are those that try and follow you.

The worst are the thankfully rare genuinely aggressive ones, not just barking but seeking to bite.

Packs of feral dogs have become rare, and on the Francès anyway nowadays, they tend to just leave pilgrims alone, even when passing by within 5 metres or so. Shared territory.

Packs of feral dogs have become rare, and on the Francès anyway nowadays, they tend to just leave pilgrims alone, even when passing by within 5 metres or so. Shared territory.
Reading my diary from my first Camino again recently I was struck by the number of times I wrote about encountering aggressive dogs on the Camino Frances. And being very glad to have a substantial stick with me. Very different from more recent walks where problems with dogs have been extremely rare. I think in part because of changes in behaviour by dog owners but also the familiarity dogs have with the greatly increased numbers of walkers.

Reading my diary from my first Camino again recently I was struck by the number of times I wrote about encountering aggressive dogs on the Camino Frances. And being very glad to have a substantial stick with me. Very different from more recent walks where problems with dogs have been extremely rare. I think in part because of changes in behaviour by dog owners but also the familiarity dogs have with the greatly increased numbers of walkers.
Yeah -- dogs are territorial, and the feral dogs seem to have recognised the Camino as Pilgrim territory as much as it's their own ; which was very much not the case back in the 1990s !! Big stick was highly useful towards them back in those days.

All that peeing by the wayside can only have helped affirm our territory to them !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Lárgate hdtpm!"

So if you read my recent thread, I was bit by a sneaky dog that went round behind me. I didn't even see it. They were two loose dogs and their goofy owner who watched it happening with a silly grin on her face. No control whatsoever.

Anyway a few days after that i was approached by 2 dogs in a rural area-, one snarling and fairly close. I maintained eye contact and shouted "hey" for an owner (none about) and just backed until the dog disengaged.

Well, turns out you're not meant to look them in the eyes and you're not meant to shout, just talk calmy.

Cachorro cachorro k fas? What are you doing puppy dog? Nunca te vas a aprender - you're not going to learn, are you!? And if all fails, vaya joderte - F off!

As a walker, have been bitten five times by a dog, only once on the camino (Primitivo).
But every time it happened, the owner was with his dog and I never received apologies.
Now I have found an effective way to protect myself against agressive dogs.
I shout as loud as possible and that immediately stops the beast from approaching.
Only the boss becomes very angry, but up to now he never bit me...

Tom's Rule One: keep your hiking sticks at the ready, between you and the animal just-in-case. Remember, the dog is protecting their turf and flock / herd. The hiking sticks are your last line of defense.

When carrying your sticks, do not wave them about as you slowly back up or walk to give the dog(s) a wide berth - like on the other side of the road. Do not use them to walk. Just hold them close to you, so the dog(s) do not not notice them as much. Rule Two explains why.

Tom's Rule Two: NEVER wave your hiking poles at any dog. Many farm and rural working dogs were "trained" using corporal punishment - being struck with a walking staff or cane. Waving your hiking sticks just reminds them of this unpleasantness and generally infuriates them. DON'T DO IT.

Tom's Rule Three: Calming phrases you use might use while SLOWLY backing away. Never run! The dog can always run faster than you. They have usually worked for me.
  • Tranquilo, por favor - Calm
  • Calmate, por favor - Calm down (cahlm-a-te)
  • Silencio. por favor - Keep quiet
  • Bueno perro - good dog (m)
  • Buena perro - good dog (f)
This has always worked for me. Of course, I have also had a three-shot series of a preventative rabies vaccine. But, I have never been bitten or scratched in a decade of Camino activities in France, Portugal, and Spain.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I found my walking poles useful for fending off strays , I didn't befriend them

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you want to use words, I'd say just use the ones you're used to.

I "speak" to dogs in English, regardless of whether I'm in France, Spain, Portugal, or Italy. Seems to work.

As these are "unrestrained dogs", letting them scare you away if you're not scared of dogs is probably not best advice -- if they're running about unchecked, they need to remember they're not the boss on the Camino. Pilgrims and the Locals are. So either keep your stick or pole on the side the dog on to warn it away and carry on normally (always good advice), or face it if you're up to that, and anyway use whatever means to remind it that it's not in charge and/or you don't care about its crazy barking.

Looking it in the eye can often be a bad idea, which is to say a pointless time-waster, unless you're high enough on the aggressive or passive-aggressive scale to get away with it. You'll know yourself best in this regard, anyway.

The most annoying are the aggressive little barky ones, as they can set an entire village a-barking !!

The second most annoying ones are those that try and follow you.

The worst are the thankfully rare genuinely aggressive ones, not just barking but seeking to bite.

Excellent advice. Indeed a lot depends on who you are and how high you are on the passive aggresive scale (or a scale by any name.) There are people who can stare a dog away, and there are others who better curl up and wait for the storm to pass.

My darling malinois shepherd, long departed, would chase the postman away, yet a tiny seven-year old girl could lead him by the leash through the woods full of distractions. A new postman arrived in the area. A big man. He hummed ho ho ho I am being attacked and simply walked on. Dog was too busy barking to even notice.

Dogs among themselves have ways of avoiding confrontation.
If a dog doesn't know what to do with the other, or he just doesn't feel like it, he will sit down, look the other way and scratch himself behind the ears. This is a sign that he is not really there. He does NOT address the other. The other dog can then move on, and a sensible dog will do so.

Not saying that @RodlaRob should scratch his ears, but starting by cautiously ignoring the dog could be an option.

I did encounter a hungry wild dog with red eyes running towards me after Hontanas. So terrified, thinking what should I do? Nothing, but trying to keep calm and SMILING in my heart with my mobile phone before my heart. Unbelievably the dog just stopped at 1 meter before me with the bewildered eyes. And I took a picture of this dog.

Was it because of “Lord be our fortress in danger” from The Pilgrim’s Prayer in the Iglesia de Santiago of Puente la Reina? Or the dog could read my mind that I was smiling to it, so let me go? Not sure which one. But I learned that just keeping smiling and walking slowly when facing wild dogs. No need to speak any words.

Attachments

• 004.jpeg
    004.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 303
After living in the Campo of Andalusia for 7 years I can tell you that the most effective thing is to bend down as if you’re picking up a stone, while saying “NO!” You don’t need a stone and even if you have one, you don’t throw it at the dog. But that gesture of reaching for a stone seems to be universally understood by Spanish dogs. Of course it’s a bit unnerving to bend down when you’re being charged by a large aggressive dog, but it has worked for me without fail.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I brought one of those ultasonic dog deterrant devices. I was told it gave off a high frequency sound that dogs don't like...it seemed to work on those very rare occasions when a doggie paid more attention to me than I needed....I've been on many Camino routes in France, Portugal and Spain since 2008 and I have had only one or two canine encounters where I had to deploy my dog zapper...I am told that dogs smell fear..so maybe whistle a happy tune, however, I found it very difficult to run and whistle at the same time...... to finish up, I have a smashing photo of a large flock of sheep with one of those huge dogs on guard duty, if I can find it I'll post it....now, that's a dog....bow-wow!!

I stop, look the dog in the eye to let the dog know that *I* am the Alpha dog and I am watching you! The dog probably won't attack unless you turn your back.

An excited or barking dog may be scary, but unless the dog is growling and showing teeth, they are not looking to bite. The dog is just looking to defend their territory. After standing firm for a while, I back away slowly without losing eye contact. When far enough away, the dog will break eye contact and we will both go our own ways.

Fighting is deadly dangerous for a dog! Most dogs will avoid the fight if possible. Stand firm and do not provoke them. That dog deterrent device may actually provoke them!

Dogs in Spain are not different to dogs in your home country! Practice with dogs in your training walk at home.

-Paul

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As many have already said, trekking poles are very helpful! As for Spanish, try "Basta" if the dog seems menacing. For good dogs, in a calm voice, buen perro or buena perra, or buen chico/ buena chica.
Hope this helps y buen camino!

The conflicting advice on whether to stare the dog down, or to avert one's stare, is almost funny. Dogs, like people, have a huge range of dispositions and you need to make a guess at the best technique for that dog/situation! I don't know the answer, but will go with the "don't stare them in the eye" approach. The American Kennel Club has what seems to be sensible general advice:
"Prolonged eye contact can have different meanings for dogs, depending on their individual temperaments. But a dog, especially one who struggles with reactivity or is wary of people, might be alarmed by a stranger staring at them."
"In their wolf ancestors, staring is considered threatening and rude. Some dogs still retain that attitude. That’s why you should never stare down strange dogs or hold dogs still to stare into their eyes. If a dog gives you a hard stare, with unblinking eyes and a stiff posture, back away and don’t make eye contact."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I find dogs deterred by swearing in English (by far the best language for the purpose) and flourishing a heavy bike-lock with which I'm willing to do them serious damage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dogs do not understand language! Dogs understand only the sound and tone of your voice. If you accent hurts the ears of local humans, image how bad it must sound to dogs with much better hearing.

Luckily, a sincere calming voice is universal in almost any language. Don't try to fake it using a non-native language.

-Paul

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dogs do not understand language! Dogs understand only the sound and tone of your voice.
I can be talking to my baby grand-daughter, who is just learning to walk - "walk to Grandma" etc. I need to be careful because the family dog's ears perk up and she heads to the door in anticipation, as soon as she hears the sound and tone of the word "walk." Is that not language? ;)

This is not THE reason...but definitely a good reason to use hiking sticks on a camino. Whether it's dogs or people-use them to keep distance between you and a threat, maybe bang them together and if need be...whack the bejesus out of anything that attacks you. As far as speaking to a dog...I'd just shout whatever and stand my ground. Best of luck and I hope you have no issues.

I've been attacked twice by large dogs while on the Camino - a Rottweiler on the Invierno and a feral dog on the Camino Portugues Interior. These were not barking to protect property - they came running straight to the attack (both attacks were reported at the time to the police). Can I just echo the advice on here which is never to turn your back and hope for the best. Keep the stick(s) low and create a barrier between you and the dog while you back off.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been attacked twice by large dogs while on the Camino - a Rottweiler on the Invierno and a feral dog on the Camino Portugues Interior. These were not barking to protect property - they came running straight to the attack (both attacks were reported at the time to the police). Can I just echo the advice on here which is never to turn your back and hope for the best. Keep the stick(s) low and create a barrier between you and the dog while you back off.

Yea, seems to be a lot of dog whisperers on this thread.

People don't realise how quick and unpredictable dogs can be ESPECIALLY in packs. Usually when you hear of someone mauled there's more than one dog and often the dogs escaped from behind a gate or fence.

Dogs in a pack are entirely predictable. They are in a hunting group. Working dogs are entirely predictable. They will intercede between you and whatever it is their job to protect. The ones you need to watch out for are the smug little lap dogs who can get away with anything as far as their Duena is concerned. I still wear the scars

I've had a lot of encounters with dogs down the years. My experience is if you face the dog, make yourself look as big as possible and shout aggressively, they back off. Picking up a stone works too.

Walking away you've got to keep an eye on them in case they come at you from behind. I've only been bitten once and that was from behind.

You've made this point twice. OK, so we all need to add a heavy bike lock to our packs? Oh, no, that won't work! I guess we need to carry it ready for use. Oh no, that would be lopsided, so we should carry one hooked over each pole?

It bears repetition. A dog can do you damage.
Threatening to hurt it with whatever will do the job will deter it, since dogs fight professionally and cannot afford injury, and never attack unless the think they can win. "Good doggie" doesn't cut it.

What idiot would let a Rottweiler run loose, anywhere???

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Specifically, on the Via de la Plata, there was an issue early last year when a dog near Merida bit pilgrims on two separate occasions. The dog was reported to the police and there have been no further reports of problems.

There's no specific problem with dogs on the Via or in Spain in general. There's some useful advice on this thread (and some not so useful too). But the best advice: is walk your Camino, don't worry, the vast majority of pilgrims on the Via never have any problems with dogs.

Specifically, on the Via de la Plata, there was an issue early last year when a dog near Merida bit pilgrims on two separate occasions. The dog was reported to the police and there have been no further reports of problems.

...thanks Gerald & all you others for good dog/ perro advice.
I'm starting March 1st from Sevilla & have your notes to help me! Then I will join the Camino Teresiano in Avila & Camino Torres from Salamanca , spend some days on the Duoro & rejoin the Via around Verin or somewhere then onto SDC....and then onto the end of the World!

I did encounter a hungry wild dog with red eyes running towards me after Hontanas. So terrified, thinking what should I do? Nothing, but trying to keep calm and SMILING in my heart with my mobile phone before my heart. Unbelievably the dog just stopped at 1 meter before me with the bewildered eyes. And I took a picture of this dog.

Was it because of “Lord be our fortress in danger” from The Pilgrim’s Prayer in the Iglesia de Santiago of Puente la Reina? Or the dog could read my mind that I was smiling to it, so let me go? Not sure which one. But I learned that just keeping smiling and walking slowly when facing wild dogs. No need to speak any words.

Goodness gracious.... how did you manage to take a picture of that feral creature with bewildered red eyes??

Just as well this dog is wearing a collar and looks well fed and well groomed. Perhaps a local charity or family takes it in on a regular basis for a ration of cuddles and cookies?

What really shocks me is the pilgrim in the background who simply continues (or so it seems) and does not come to your rescue.

The mind boggles. But you survived.

004-jpeg.163293

It's also no in Spanish. Facing them, pointing your stick at them and saying NO! Really loudly while you continue walking. Works for me over 4 different caminos in 3 different countries.

I'm starting March 1st from Sevilla & have your notes to help me! Then I will join the Camino Teresiano in Avila & Camino Torres from Salamanca , spend some days on the Duoro & rejoin the Via around Verin or somewhere then onto SDC....and then onto the end of the World!
Sounds like quite a plan! Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cachorro cachorro k fas? What are you doing puppy dog? Nunca te vas a aprender - you're not going to learn, are you!? And if all fails, vaya joderte - F off!
I don´t think Spanish dogs understand Portuguese any better than they understand English. If it is a ´working dog´, just back away - they are just doing their job which is keeping you away from the property or flock they are supposed to be protecting-. If it is a pet dog, who knows - badly trained dogs are as unpredictable as badly trained humans. Threatening any dog that is already seeing you as an intruder is not a good idea.

I am Spaniard from Galicia and I am not sure on how they address dogs in Andalucia. It could be different in every region of Spain. I would say "Que tal ?" (with a smile) that means How do you do? which also is understood by dogs in Galicia.
Hilarious. Que tal. Address a dog? With extreme caution, in whichever language.
@Pelegrín, forgive me, I do not mean to insult you. You are autóctono, native.
I am only an ignorant blow-in! My dad moved into our town on marrying my mother, and fifty years later, died, still a blow-in!
How local we are, in small countries.
Recently, a true cousin appeared, in Montana, and she is as close to me as my other local cousins. How small is our world, how small!

Last edited:
Hilarious. Que tal. Address a dog? With extreme caution, in whichever language.
I had to make a wide circle around a bull standing in the middle of the path on my very first morning in Spain. I can remember saying "Buenos dias Señor Toro!" as I did so. Though it is quite possible that his owner only ever spoke to him in euskara and he had no idea what I was saying. My atrocious pronunciation might not have helped.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A cautionary tale on the unwisdom of teaching our fellow animals human speech.
There is a very funny scene in Karel Capek's 'The War with the Newts' where a talking salamander fails to convince a committee that it is really an intelligent creature because it only repeats opinions gathered from popular newspapers and only has the analytical abilities of a minor tradesman...

and only has the analytical abilities of a minor tradesman...
...and minor tradesmen should have lesser analytical abilities than..🤔
Scientists? Surgeons? Intellectuals??

Maybe we should learn to bark back at dogs in their own language..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
..and minor tradesmen should have lesser analytical abilities than..🤔
Scientists? Surgeons? Intellectuals??
Capek's book is a satire which amongst other things pokes fun at contemporary notions of class and racial superiority. Written by a Czech and published in 1936. A time and place ripe for satire but not perhaps the safest place to pursue it.

€46,-
You've made this point twice. OK, so we all need to add a heavy bike lock to our packs? Oh, no, that won't work! I guess we need to carry it ready for use. Oh no, that would be lopsided, so we should carry one hooked over each pole?
Hiplok makes bike locks that are wearable around the waist. It feels heavy when held in my hands, yet after a few minutes of riding with the Hiplok on my waist, I didn’t notice it anymore. On steep uphills (14% grade), I do notice it on the climb, but it’s doable. My husband tried the Hiplok wearable, and we added a motorcycle bungie cord so that it fit comfortably around his waist.
This silver level security bike lock is discounted at $82. I like the gold.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hiplok makes bike locks that are wearable around the waist. It feels heavy when held in my hands, yet after a few minutes of riding with the Hiplok on my waist, I didn’t notice it anymore. On steep uphills (14% grade), I do notice it on the climb, but it’s doable. My husband tried the Hiplok wearable, and we added a motorcycle bungie cord so that it fit comfortably around his waist.
This silver level security bike lock is discounted at $82. I like the gold.
Each to their own but surely ‘ spray! is an easier and more ‘fit/designed for purpose’ solution? I know females who carry self defence spray and it’s seems easy to use; a bike lock, or even rocks, seem very cumbersome? Presumably a few people on here have some experience on repelling bears?

Anyway https://www.police-supplies.co.uk/k917-dog-deterrent-spray#product-tabs

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Each to their own but surely ‘pepper spray! Is an easier and more ‘fit/designed for purpose’ solution? I know females who carry self defence spray and it’s seems easy to use; a bike lock, or even rocks, seem very cumbersome? Presumably a few people on here have some experience on repelling bears?
Bears are a different. They're not use to tangling with humans and don't know that humans can't fight. And bear spray is MUCH more potent than any spray designed for dogs (like what the mailman carries).
The only time I've used pepper on a dog was several years ago when I was on a country road near my home. I was walking my old dog. Suddenly, a big German Shepard ran up to the fenceline, doing the usual coming unglued, snarling, barking, like he wanted to rip me a new one. The Shepard was trying so hard to get out/through the fence. Finally he DID find a small gap in the fence and wiggled his way through the gap and was charging at me and my dog from about 30 feet away. I had a little pepper fogger spray, and all it took was about a 1/2 second burst of pepper into the air. He sniffed it, turned around and ran back through the fence. Had I not had the spray, he likely would have killed my dog, and torn me up trying to get him off of my dog. I don't think I even got any of the spray ON him. Dogs have very sensitive noses, and just getting a whiff of pepper is enough to get them to change their minds.
A pepper "fogger" is probably more effective for most people. You really don't even have to get any of the pepper ON the dog, just put a little pepper "cloud" between you and the dog. The dog will have to run through the cloud to get to YOU. (mind the wind) As I say, once dogs even get a whiff of pepper, they change their mind and will go pick on someone else.
If someone just had the "stream" version of spray, I'm not sure that someone could even get any actual pepper on a charging dog when you're terrified.
Again, this is not about a barking dog 20 feet away. Who cares? I've walked past thousands of barking dogs. This if for when AN ATTACK IS IMMINENT.
And I agree with previous comments to NEVER turn your back to a barking/snarling dog. You will FOR SURE get bit.
(I'm sure people were just joking about using a bike chain.)

Bears are a different. They're not use to tangling with humans and don't know that humans can't fight. And bear spray is MUCH more potent than any spray designed for dogs (like what the mailman carries).
The only time I've used pepper on a dog was several years ago when I was on a country road near my home. I was walking my old dog. Suddenly, a big German Shepard ran up to the fenceline, doing the usual coming unglued, snarling, barking, like he wanted to rip me a new one. The Shepard was trying so hard to get out/through the fence. Finally he DID find a small gap in the fence and wiggled his way through the gap and was charging at me and my dog from about 30 feet away. I had a little pepper fogger spray, and all it took was about a 1/2 second burst of pepper into the air. He sniffed it, turned around and ran back through the fence. Had I not had the spray, he likely would have killed my dog, and torn me up trying to get him off of my dog. I don't think I even got any of the spray ON him. Dogs have very sensitive noses, and just getting a whiff of pepper is enough to get them to change their minds.
A pepper "fogger" is probably more effective for most people. You really don't even have to get any of the pepper ON the dog, just put a little pepper "cloud" between you and the dog. The dog will have to run through the cloud to get to YOU. (mind the wind) As I say, once dogs even get a whiff of pepper, they change their mind and will go pick on someone else.
If someone just had the "stream" version of spray, I'm not sure that someone could even get any actual pepper on a charging dog when you're terrified.
Again, this is not about a barking dog 20 feet away. Who cares? I've walked past thousands of barking dogs. This if for when AN ATTACK IS IMMINENT.
And I agree with previous comments to NEVER turn your back to a barking/snarling dog. You will FOR SURE get bit.
(I'm sure people were just joking about using a bike chain.)
Ah thanks for that! You clearly know the subject matter very well. Your advice seems really sensible! I am hoping to do the VDLP soonish and I just want to some tips to protect myself and you have certainly provided that! Thanks again!

I wasn’t sure whether folks are joking about rocks / bike chains / talking / etc!! I am not from the USA/Canada so whilst I can google words/phrases/brand names/references used on here, the humour (sorry humor!) can be more tricky/nuanced!

Last edited:
Goodness gracious.... how did you manage to take a picture of that feral creature with bewildered red eyes??

Just as well this dog is wearing a collar and looks well fed and well groomed. Perhaps a local charity or family takes it in on a regular basis for a ration of cuddles and cookies?

What really shocks me is the pilgrim in the background who simply continues (or so it seems) and does not come to your rescue.

The mind boggles. But you survived.

004-jpeg.163293
Thanks for your keen observation to the story which I made it short. Here I would like clarify the situation at that time.

After Hornillos, it started to snow when I was on the Meseta for the first time on Apr. 12, 2018. I was curious about the landscape so that I had my phone on hand to take photos. At the beginning, this dog walked around looking for food (?). I could see its red eyes. As there were a few pilgrims only, no local people on the field, I thought it was a wild dog. Later on the dog went away (as far as behind the pilgrim in yellow raincoat ahead). Suddenly the dog turned around running towards me. I guess because of the pilgrim in raincoat, he or she could not hear clearly the barking.

I was so panic and nobody nearby. Couldn't run faster than the dog, I slowdown my steps and put my phone before me as protection in case it jumped to me. What could I do? Nothing but tried to smile to the dog to show my kindness. I had prepared the worst. However, it just stopped before me and I pushed the button on my phone to take this special photo on the Meseta. (The red eyes disappeared! Thank MinaKamina's observation.)

Later on, this dog still walked around from time to time, even as far as the exit of Hontanas. However, it dared not look at me again. I tried to share my apple to this hungry dog which just walked away.

After the camino I check my photos and review the Pilgrim's Prayer. Wonder if Lord saved me or my smiling? Maybe it was because of Lord.

Many mysterious things happened on the camino. That's why I keep coming back, especially in April if possible to see this dog again?

(p.s. my personal photo above was taken before Hontanas on the same day.)

€83,-
Staying calm, saying the prayer to Our Lord likely helped you. Dogs have an uncanny sense of your condition or emotion.

In my experience, most dogs strange to you just want to smell you to say hi. Showing teeth while smiling is seen as a sign of aggression to most unfamiliar alpha male dogs. The same for looking into his eyes. Look slightly off to the side instead. I have not yet been bitten by an aggressive dog, though large dogs have run threateningly at me. What works for me: learn to say STOP, STAY and HEEL in the local tongue, and say it 1X in a forceful, authoritative manner. Repeat at most once. Avoid anxiety in your voice. Act like a predator, not prey, with your stance in a forward posture. If that doesn’t work, be aware of your surroundings and find a vertical escape route, like a vehicle, wall or fence. If escape is unavailable, do not run. Running triggers the predator instinct in dogs, much like bears, to run down prey.

A wisp of a neighbor did this when she met my adult daughter’s 100 lb hound:
If you’re anxious about dogs, consider carrying in your pocket several doggie treats, such as bacon, beef jerky in large bite size pieces, snack-size peanut butter filled pretzels. You can distract the dog with the 2-3 treats by throwing some of them on the ground near you. The dog will smell them, and stop to gobble them up in seconds. If the dog follows you, throw 2-3 more treats on the ground. Repeat, if necessary. By the third snack, the dog will like you and may follow you in a friendly manner, hoping for more treats. Then try Stop, Stay, or Heel, and continue on your camino.

By the third snack, the dog will like you and may follow you in a friendly manner, hoping for more treats. Then try Stop, Stay, or Heel, and continue on your camino.
I try very hard to discourage dogs from following me. I certainly would not feed any dog I came across. Every year many dogs follow pilgrims along the Caminos and then cannot find their way back home. It is a major problem for local animal shelters.

While you have the right to protect yourself, cruelty to animals is a crime.

Image being a parent explaining the death of the family pet dog to a small child because it barked at someone and was cruelly beaten to death.

-Paul

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
While you have the right to protect yourself, cruelty to animals is a crime.
Of course it is.
Image being a parent explaining the death of the family pet dog to a small child because it barked at someone and was cruelly beaten to death.
Can you point to a post advocating beating a dog to death simply because it barked?

Or people could always carry a full water bottle with a "Sport Cap". A well squeezed water bottle with a small diameter hole in the top could spray out to about 15 feet. Dogs HATE getting water in their face.

The farm dogs i encountered while working the farms and ranches generally had better things to do than get bent when i was working...
A simple but firm "easy killer" intoned with conviction usually drew them up
Working dogs
Witchy little pets of back woods dwellers usually were the most agressive
Had one run up and put his face on my legs as i was riding my mountain bike
Would let me move

Owner just..looking
It was all funny till i flung my bike at the dog that the said troglodyte decided to get into his feelings
Said the sherriff will be paying a visit, drug sniffing owner decided to get as agressive as his mutt..until i showed i was willing to throw my bike at him...

I like working dogs.no nonsense from them

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"Owner just..looking. Drug sniffing owner decided to get as agressive as his mutt"
My guess is....not every Spaniard has the "true camino spirit", or wants peregrinos around.

Last edited:
Can you point to a post advocating beating a dog to death simply because it barked?

There are several posts here threating to swing a heavy bike lock at a dog. The movement would likely entice a barking dog to attack. That's only escalating the situation where either the human or the dog is going to get hurt.

-Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.