• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Language questions

kdespot

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés SJPP-SdC Sept-Oct 2016
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices", would I refer to Penelope Cruz as "una actor"? "Una actora"?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I tend to think of the pair of poles as bastones and the single wooden hiking staff as a palo, but I'm not a native speaker and so am open to correction.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Native Spanish speaker here, although not from Spain. Bastones is probably correct, but palos may also work. To me, a “bastón” is more akin to a walking cane used by the elderly, but I don’t know a specific word for trekking poles. Being that they are roughly referring to long sticks, it will probably be understood either way. Interestingly, to me, the word “pole” translates as “poste” which refers to a streetlight post. Spanish can be very flexible, since different countries use different words to mean the same thing, so it’s not unusual having to have to elaborate a little to communicate what we really want, even among fellow Hispanos.
ETA: “palo” can also mean tree, as in “un palo de limón” (a lemon tree), it can also mean a shot (as in a drink), example “quiero un palo de ron” (I want a shot of rum). And each country is different. While I know we are talking about Spain, they get many visitors from our side of the pond, so hopefully they are used to colloquial differences.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices", would I refer to Penelope Cruz as "una actor"? "Una actora"?

Un bastón o unos bastones y (generally) una actriz o unas actrices. wrt the latter, policial correctness exists at different levels in different countries although the RAE does allow ‘Actor’ to be either masculine or feminine.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
baston or palo

I live in Mexico, but a gringo, but my wife is Mexican. I just asked her and her sister and they both said Actriz.
I buy poles new cheap poles in Spain for all my caminos. I only go to Decathlon as a last resort. I have always asked for Bastones and have always been pointed to hiking poles without any hesitation. I just went on the Decathlon website and typed in Bastones in the Decathlon search engine. I think you have your answer here haha.
Buen Camino and try to buy the poles from local owners. They need your business alot more than Decathlon does.

ETA: “palo” can also mean tree, as in “un palo de limón” (a lemon tree), it can also mean a shot (as in a drink), example “quiero un palo de ron” (I want a shot of rum). And each country is different. While I know we are talking about Spain, they get many visitors from our side of the pond, so hopefully they are used to colloquial differences.
Interesting! I'm from Spain and never heard the word "palo" used like that. A lemon tree is a "limonero" and a shot of any drink is "un chupito" over here.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Okey dokey... pretty easy answer to the poles question. Sounds like the actor/actriz terminology is undergoing an evolutionary process. Thanks, all!

Interesting! I'm from Spain and never heard the word "palo" used like that. A lemon tree is a "limonero" and a shot of any drink is "un chupito" over here.
I’ve never heard “un limonero” or “un chupito”, either! As for palo as a tree, it may be a fruit bearing tree, like “un palo de mangó”, “un palo de aguacate”, but not with other trees, like “un roble”, “una palma”. Not sure how much of this is colloquial, but it is very informal, as the formal way would be “un árbol de limón”. I’m from PR (one of Spain last colonies” with heavy Andalucian and Canarian influence, so I don’t know about how it is in other regions of Spain. Coincidentally, I just learned this morning that in Mexico, “palo” has a different meaning, as in “a fling” but a bit more explicit, so saying “quiero un palo” in Mexico might have unintended outcomes. Not sure if this varies by region, but it goes to show how rich is our language. I’m actually trying to brush up on Spain slang and colloquial expressions, it’s a great topic! Un saludo desde FL, USA!

Un bastón o unos bastones y (generally) una actriz o unas actrices. wrt the latter, policial correctness exists at different levels in different countries although the RAE does allow ‘Actor’ to be either masculine or feminine.

I think you're wrong about the RAE's stance on actor.

Actor is m, actriz is f,. actores is plural m/mixed/unspecified , actrices is plural f.

This follows the same rules as similar spanish gendered noun. E.g. chico, chica, chicos and chicas. There's no need to say "Hola chicos y chicas" any more than in English saying "welcome, children and female children". The rae views it as an artificial split. https://www.rae.es/espanol-al-dia/los-ciudadanos-y-las-ciudadanas-los-ninos-y-las-ninas

There are exceptions, e.g. hombre y mujer (man and woman).. the plurals of these words are not gender neutral. E.g. in English it would not be correct to say "welcome, boys" when addressing boys and girls.

Okey dokey... pretty easy answer to the poles question. Sounds like the actor/actriz terminology is undergoing an evolutionary process. Thanks, all!

Only in popular culture but the RAE is unlikely to change its stance or permit words like Latinx, Amig@ or cuerpa (supposed female version of cuerpo meaning "body") any time soon.

A good example of the "rigidity" of the Spanish language is how Los feministas is the gender neutral term for feminists (las feministas only used when everyone being referred to is female), or how the adjective for non-binary is "no binario" or "no binaria" depending on whether the noun is masculine or feminine.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
coincidentally, I just learned this morning that in Mexico, “palo” has a different meaning, as in “a fling” but a bit more explicit, so saying “quiero un palo” in Mexico might have unintended outcomes. Not sure if this varies by region, but it goes to show how rich is our language. I’m actually trying to brush up on Spain slang and colloquial expressions, it’s a great topic! Un saludo desde FL, USA!

Now see if you can figure out what "coje a un palo" means in Spain and in Mexico.

Now see if you can figure out what "coje a un palo" means in Spain and in Mexico.
It will be educational. Back when I was in college I read a story called “El Espanol de Hispanoamerica,” about this Spaniard who was living in the United States and tired of struggling with English, moved to Mexico, and started having all kinds of problems because of misunderstandings, and so he tried moving to other countries like Venezuela, Colombia, Argentina, and there was all kinds of misunderstandings, many of them hilarious, because of differences in the local colloquial language, so he won up returning to the United States. It was a very funny story, but very illuminating. I’m currently following an Instagram page called DialectoBoricua, talking about the origins of some of our slang words, sometimes comparing our slang with that of other countries. (For those that don’t know, “Boricua” is what PRs call ourselves, derived from the indigenous name Borikén which is what the Taino people called the island).
So, I might be a native Spanish speaker, but it doesn’t mean that I’ll know how things are said in a particular country or region, so, even I have a lot to learn…

2Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices", would I refer to Penelope Cruz as "una actor"? "Una actora"?" The same thing has happened in the UK, 'actress' seems to be no longer used, and female thespians are called 'actors' almost every time. At least we don't have a problem with agreement with the definite or indefinite article. Why this has happened, I don't know. If I hear the word 'actor', I think of a man, just as, if I hear the word 'nurse', I think of a woman.

Why this has happened, I don't know. If I hear the word 'actor', I think of a man, just as, if I hear the word 'nurse', I think of a woman.
I think you answered your own question. The idea, I believe, is to hopefully move towards a society where professions and the words we use for them don't have gender assumptions built in. Where actresses aren't seen as fundamentally different than actors. Where nurses aren't assumed to be women and doctors aren't assumed to be men. If you don't have different words for men and women teachers, why should you have different words for men and women actors?

If you don't have different words for men and women teachers, why should you have different words for men and women actors?
The thread started with questions specifically about terms in Spanish which does make such a distinction. As do a number of other languages such as French and German.

Last edited:
The thread started with questions specifically about terms in Spanish which does make such a distinction. As do a number of other languages such as Spanish and German.
True. But linguistic gender is much more fundamental to Spanish than it is to English, where it survives only in pronouns and a few archaic professional terms. And as the thread evolved to discuss, there is a move in Spanish away from these gender distinctions in at least some Spanish terms referring to professions, just as there is in English. Bert was saying he didn't know why English moved away from "actress". I was pointing out the explanation that was implicit in his own statement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
2Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices", would I refer to Penelope Cruz as "una actor"? "Una actora"?" The same thing has happened in the UK, 'actress' seems to be no longer used, and female thespians are called 'actors' almost every time. At least we don't have a problem with agreement with the definite or indefinite article. Why this has happened, I don't know. If I hear the word 'actor', I think of a man, just as, if I hear the word 'nurse', I think of a woman.

First, Actora = female plaintiff in a lawsuit. It's a different word.

People are incorrectly saying actor and actriz are interchangeable. This is not correct.

RAE
@RAEinforma
#RAEconsultas «Actora», femenino regular de «actor», se usa como ‘[parte] demandante en un juicio’ y ‘[persona] que interviene o toma parte en algo’; «actriz», que deriva directamente del latín tardío «actrix, -īcis», es el femenino de «actor» como 'intérprete'.
10:25 PM · Mar 14, 2020

RAE
@RAEinforma
#RAEconsultas "Actora", regular feminine of "actor", is used as '[party] plaintiff in a trial' and '[person] who intervenes or takes part in something'; "actress", which derives directly from the late Latin "actrix, -īcis", is the feminine of "actor" as in 'performer'.
10:25 PM · Mar 14, 2020

The reason there are different words for actor and actress is Spanish is simply because the words are derived from Latin, and as Spanish nouns are gendered the distinction remained intact.

The English terms for actor/actress are also derived from latin but English nouns are largely not gendered (except for terms relating to familial relationships, and terms for animals). Traditional occupations like fireman, nanny, headmaster, waitress, etc, got gender neutral makeovers. I guess it left the actor/actress as something to be tackled/erased in English - some of this likely stems from "best actor" awards being seen as a more high profile award than "best actress", also the genderqueer/2spirit/agender stuff that left people feeling left out.

I think you answered your own question. The idea, I believe, is to hopefully move towards a society where professions and the words we use for them don't have gender assumptions built in. Where actresses aren't seen as fundamentally different than actors. Where nurses aren't assumed to be women and doctors aren't assumed to be men. If you don't have different words for men and women teachers, why should you have different words for men and women actors?
El enfermero / la enfermera
El doctor / la doctora
El profesor / la profesora

If anything your argument is we should have different words, so people don't assume a nurse is female or a doctor is male.

there is a move in Spanish away from these gender distinctions in at least some Spanish terms referring to professions, just as there is in English. Bert was saying he didn't know why English moved away from "actress". I was pointing out the explanation that was implicit in his own statement.

I don't think there is.

The move is towards actually saying "actores y actrices" rather than using "actores" (perceived as a masculine plural) when referring to male and female actors. The RAE argues this as an artificial split, as actores in addition to being a masculine plural is also neutral.
Similarly, when referring to the actor/actress, politically correct, gender inclusive policy would be to write "actor/actriz" rather than writing solely "actor" as the neutral/non-specific term.

In English, the opposite has occurred.

Some more liberal types in Spain are pushing for gender-inclusive language like "todos, todas y todes" (not common), peregrin@s (gaining traction informally in writing), latinx (only in the USA).

Last edited:
I wonder whether the statement "as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as 'actores' rather than 'actrices'" is even true for Spanish or whether English speakers erroneously assume so just because of the change in English.

I am aware of the movement to a more gender neutral language for plural forms in languages such as German and Spanish and possibly French but saying 'actores' instead of 'actrices' makes no sense in this context and it would be quite the opposite of a more gender neutral language as far as these plural forms are concerned.

Perhaps @MariaSP can comment?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
gender-inclusive language like "todos, todas y todes" (not common), peregrin@s (gaining traction informally in writing), latinx (only in the USA).
The OP asked about spoken Spanish in Spain and I hope she won't mind a bit of thread drift into written Spanish in Spain.

I quite like writing peregrin@s although I am convinced that about 99,9 % here will think that it is a typo. 😅

In German you may see Pilger:innen and in French I think it is pèlerines.

Being female, I see the point of course but not being used to it I feel ambiguous of course. The polemics and the jokes and even aggression about such new forms of writing is telling, also of course. 😶

Check No. 23: "palo" means tree in Costa Rica, Honduras, México, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic.
And No. 24: "palo" means shot of drink in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic & Venezuela.

https://dle.rae.es/palo
Only in popular culture but the RAE is unlikely to change its stance or permit words like Latinx, Amig@ or cuerpa (supposed female version of cuerpo meaning "body") any time soon.

RAE doesn't permit or ban words. They simply document what is being used and make recommendations for better usage of the language.
The problem with Latinx and Amig@ is that they cannot be pronounced, they only work in writing (and I don't see why we need the word "cuerpa" 🤔)

In Spain it doesn't really mean anything. "Coge un palo", on the other hand, means "grab a stick". A perfectly safe thing to say.

Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices", would I refer to Penelope Cruz as "una actor"? "Una actora"?
Not in Spain. "Una actor" is just incorrect because you're pairing a feminine article with a masculine noun. "Una actora" means something else, but someone else has already explained it.

I wonder whether the statement "as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as 'actores' rather than 'actrices'" is even true for Spanish or whether English speakers erroneously assume so just because of the change in English.

I am aware of the movement to a more gender neutral language for plural forms in languages such as German and Spanish and possibly French but saying 'actores' instead of 'actrices' makes no sense in this context and it would be quite the opposite of a more gender neutral language as far as these plural forms are concerned.

Perhaps @MariaSP can comment?

There is certainly a movement for a more gender neutral language in Spanish, but I haven't heard of female actors being referred to as "actores" in Spain. As far as I'm aware, they still go by "actrices".

Regarding new more gender neutral plural forms, it's work in progress 😅 There isn't a simple solution that works for all nouns, so people are trying different things. In many cases, the solution is to just say both "actores y actrices", sometimes, another word is used ("la ciudadanía" instead of "los ciudadanos"). Sometimes a new ending in -e is used to include non-binary (todos, todas y todes) 🤷🏻‍♀️ Not an easy issue!

Last edited:
There is certainly a movement for a more gender neutral language in Spanish, but I haven't heard of female actors being referred to as "actores" in Spain. As far as I'm aware, they still go by "actrices".

Regarding new more gender neutral plural forms, it's work in progress 😅 There isn't a simple solution that works for all nouns, so people are trying different things. In many cases, the solution is to just say both "actores y actrices", sometimes, another word is used ("la ciudadanía" instead of "los ciudadanos"). Sometimes a new ending in -e is used to include non-binary (todos, todas y todes) 🤷🏻‍♀️ Not an easy issue!
I would say that as society changes, we are trying to “retrofit” (for lack of a better word) these issues like gender awareness into an old language, and that can be unwieldy and awkward. Maybe you’ve watched “Linguriosa” in YouTube, she has some fascinating videos on how the Spanish language (and others) have evolved over the centuries. After all, “la lengua de Cervantes” no es la misma que era entonces. Being that I’m older, it’s hard for me to wrap my head around some of these changes, as they don’t always seem to be “organic” but more like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, just my opinion. But it’s not up to me to decide what future generations do with the language, because with new awareness of issues, it can be challenging to adapt a language to an evolving reality, and that can cause confusion, misunderstandings, and friction.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Spain it doesn't really mean anything. "Coge un palo", on the other hand, means "grab a stick". A perfectly safe thing to say.
You are absolutely correct, coger un palo means “grab a stick”, but in PR, “date un palo” or “dame un palo” means “have a drink” or “give me a drink”.

We are getting into deep linguistical weeds in here…

Check No. 23: "palo" means tree in Costa Rica, Honduras, México, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic.
And No. 24: "palo" means shot of drink in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic & Venezuela.

https://dle.rae.es/palo

RAE doesn't permit or ban words. They simply document what is being used and make recommendations for better usage of the language.
The problem with Latinx and Amig@ is that they cannot be pronounced, they only work in writing (and I don't see why we need the word "cuerpa" 🤔)

Not in Spain. "Una actor" is just incorrect because you're pairing a feminine article with a masculine noun. "Una actora" means something else, but someone else has already explained it.

Thanks for your post, it is important to hear from a native speaker. You referred to one phrase above that I was afraid might be rude, and you have said it is innocent, so thanks for that.
On the question of language per se, my younger brother has left Spain after his three week immersion, utterly deflated. No native speaker would reply to him in Spanish! He wonders why... 😁.
You can't hide a Scottish accent no matter how many cervezas you ask for!

When in Motherwell, which is only 50 miles up the road from where I live, I tried to order a breakfast
only to be baffled by the option of "squirrel ink". I overcame the language barrier by pointing.

When I was in Ferrol I wandered into Tourist Information and asked where I could buy walking poles. Getting a blank look, I mimed the action of walking with a pole. The chap said something in Spanish which I didn't understand but agreed with him anyway. He rang round until he found someone who had some.

There ya go. How to overcome all regional variations in a language. Mime and point.
( May not be suitable for all purchases though )

When in Motherwell, which is only 50 miles up the road from where I live, I tried to order a breakfast
only to be baffled by the option of "squirrel ink". I overcame the language barrier by pointing.

When I was in Ferrol I wandered into Tourist Information and asked where I could buy walking poles. Getting a blank look, I mimed the action of walking with a pole. The chap said something in Spanish which I didn't understand but agreed with him anyway. He rang round until he found someone who had some.

There ya go. How to overcome all regional variations in a language. Mime and point.
C'mon, give us a clue. Here in Dublin on the Luas I hear something in Gaelic that sounds like African Shop. It means get off at the next stop for the main street shops! 😇
Squirrel ink? Have I been so far gone from Kirkintilloch that I have lost my ear for local pronunciation?
Ah, Got it! Square or link!!!
Ya beauty!
Dear other people: sausages in Scotland can be square or link. 😁

Hola, Spanish and Basque (C2 level )bilingual native speaker here. French and English speaker also but they are more broken in my mind 🤭. Poles are bastones in Spanish, in the same sense what and elder would use is a bastón, not a palo. Traditionally when refering to a collective of people, Spanish uses the masculine gender as neutral. But as Spain is getting more and more concerned about gender equality in the last decade, this is also translated to language issues. Spain is an advanced country in what concerns to gender questions. A group of youth would be some decades ago un grupo de chicos, these days is more common to say un grupo de chicos y chicas.
Anyway don't worry too much about the bastón/palo question, Spaniards are kind and the language flexible and will make and effort to understand if a foreigner uses Palo in this context.
In Basque, if I go to San Sebastian Decathlon, I ask for 'mendiko makilak' (pronounced mendiko makiyak) wich means mountain poles but in Spanish palos/bastones de montaña. Makila is both palo and bastón.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would say that as society changes, we are trying to “retrofit” (for lack of a better word) these issues like gender awareness into an old language, and that can be unwieldy and awkward. Maybe you’ve watched “Linguriosa” in YouTube, she has some fascinating videos on how the Spanish language (and others) have evolved over the centuries. After all, “la lengua de Cervantes” no es la misma que era entonces. Being that I’m older, it’s hard for me to wrap my head around some of these changes, as they don’t always seem to be “organic” but more like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, just my opinion. But it’s not up to me to decide what future generations do with the language, because with new awareness of issues, it can be challenging to adapt a language to an evolving reality, and that can cause confusion, misunderstandings, and friction.

Linguriosa's videos are fantastic.

I do agree with you that some of the current changes are anything but organic. It's what happens when you mix grammar with politics 🤷🏻‍♀️ Only time will tell which changes become permanent and which disappear...

I’m only about 25 miles from Motherwell and I was baffled by “squirrel ink” until I said it out loud when it made perfect sense. Square or link is commonly asked when you order sausage in Scotland.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m only about 25 miles from Motherwell and I was baffled by “squirrel ink” until I said it out loud when it made perfect sense. Square or link is commonly asked when you order sausage in Scotland.
Mary Doll, of course! Who else but us can work it out! 😁 What would I give for a square sausage right now! 😁

You referred to one phrase above that I was afraid might be rude, and you have said it is innocent, so thanks for that.
It is worthwhile noting that the Spanish language differs regionally. In my Spanish learning recently it is repeatedly being brought to my attention that the verb "coger" is used in many expressions and sentences in Spain where it would be avoided in Latin American Spanish, because of it having very different connotations there. So, feel free to use it innocently on Camino in Spain. But be prepared for raised eyebrows if any Latin American Hispanohablantes are listening.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mary Doll, of course! Who else but us can work it out! 😁 What would I give for a square sausage right now! 😁
My regular Saturday lunchtime treat is a roll in square sausage with tattie scone and brown sauce. Doesn’t do much for the waistline but tastes great.

So, feel free to use it innocently on Camino in Spain. But be prepared for raised eyebrows if any Latin American Hispanohablantes are listening.
But isn't it usually clear from the context what a speaker means? Like @Kirkie and presumably others I feared that the mysterious expression would be rude and/or have a sexual connotation so it was good to hear from a competent Spanish speaker from Spain that it is not the case.

I often wonder why such expressions are even brought into a thread. I am then reminded of the time when my kid was in primary school and they giggled about the word "knob". 🙄

But isn't it usually clear from the context what a speaker means? Like @Kirkie and presumably others I feared that the mysterious expression would be rude and/or have a sexual connotation so it was good to hear from a competent Spanish speaker from Spain that it is not the case.

I often wonder why such expressions are even brought into a thread. I am then reminded of the time when my kid was in primary school and they giggled about the word "knob". 🙄
All I know is that in quite a number of episodes of the "Se Habla Español" podcast I've been listening to, where he is analyzing clips of Latin American speakers, he specifically discusses expressions they use in their speech and says in essence "We, in Spain, use the verb coger here but they don't in Latin America because of its sexual connotation and use this other verb that the speaker has used instead." So, while I'm sure it is clear from context what you mean and I'm confident that a Latin American listener wouldn't hold it against you, it seem that the connotation is strong enough to create a difference in verb usage in Latin America. I'm sure it isn't rude and doesn't have a sexual connotation in Spain. But I'm not as sure when a Latin American is listening.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Said the actress to the bishop.

English has a long history of double entendres and they always get a giggle.

Yes, it's innocent in Spain and I'd guess from the context people in Latin America will likely know what you mean. Doesn't mean they won't have a laugh. Doesn't mean they won't take offence either.

All I know is that in quite a number of episodes of the "Se Habla Español" podcast I've been listening to, where he is analyzing clips of Latin American speakers, he specifically discusses expressions they use in their speech and says in essence "We, in Spain, use the verb coger here but they don't in Latin America because of its sexual connotation and use this other verb that the speaker has used instead." So, while I'm sure it is clear from context what you mean and I'm confident that a Latin American listener wouldn't hold it against you, it seem that the connotation is strong enough to create a difference in verb usage in Latin America. I'm sure it isn't rude and doesn't have a sexual connotation in Spain. But I'm not as sure when a Latin American is listening.
Well, that "coger" subjet always appears when chatting with latin american relatives visiting their family at home land, specially if they are young and from countries where that word has sexual connotations. Many Spaniards do have relatives in America. But when visiting Spain, latin americans perfectly know how often Spaniards use that verb without any sexual connotations and they shouldn't be surprised for listening sentences with coger.

I think most Spanish speakers are aware of the different uses in different countries, but we dont’ necessarily know every nuance, so there WILL be some awkward/hilarious moments. I’ve been aware since I was a kid about the “coger” issue, because…(please forgive me), the word “bus” in PR is “guagua”, but in Argentina and other countries, it’s…a small girl, so “coger la guagua” in PR simply means taking the bus, but elsewhere, it means something completely different. We know about that but need to remind ourselves as it’s so easy to make a faux pas. It doesn’t come natural to me to say “autobús” because that’s not how I grew up.

I did come across with something that was hilarious to me, but maybe not to others (apologies). I was reading Gronze and I came across a passage talking about coming across a gigantic mojon entering Galicia, probably the most photographed mojon in the world…(forgive me, please). Where I come from, the word “mojon” means…turd. I understand that it’s a perfectly OK word in Spain, but I can’t even bring myself to say it out loud, here, even if I’ve seen used here in this board somewhere. It’s always a bit jarring to me. My sister and I laughed our heads off when I was telling her of this passage, it made quite an impression seeing it written it out.

My sister lived in Mexico for a couple of years, and she tells stories of sudden icy silences when she said something that was deemed unacceptable over there. It’s normal, so no need to worry too much about it.
I do think that most people are understanding, particularly of those who don’t speak Spanish as a first language, we’ll cut you a lot of slack, because even we have difficulties because of these issues. These are best handled with a sense of humor and open-mindedness.

Ever seen the video “Que Dificil es Hablar El Español”? This came out 10 years ago and it went viral, and there was another YouTube video with the same guys, talking about how it’s even been used around the world for Spanish classes. I think you can say we are complicated people…

Afterthought: maybe we should start a separate thread on this fascinating topic as we’ve strayed from the original question and intent?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One more thing about “palo”… When in Zubiri, I’ll be staying at…El Palo del Avellano…just a little fun fact.
We wanted to stay at El Palo del Avellano in Zubiri - the "Hazelnut Stick" albergue - but they were fully booked at the time.

I learnt from their website that the wood of this shrub has "so often been used as a support stick by many pilgrims on their way to Santiago, without doubt a really useful, simple and essential tool for the traveller of all times in our history".

Hazelnut wood has also been used for making walking sticks in other regions of Europe, for example in the Alps. The DE Wikipedia says that it is used for making the traditional Basque walking stick called Makila but the EN Wikipedia says they use the wood from medlar trees.

And yet walking sticks are called bastones in Spain 😊. Perhaps because the hazelnut shrub (scientific name is Corylus avellana) does not grow naturally all over Spain but mainly along the northern border? 😊

natural distribution hazelnut.jpg

We wanted to stay at El Palo del Avellano in Zubiri - the "Hazelnut Stick" albergue - but they were fully booked at the time.

I learnt from their website that the wood of this shrub has "so often been used as a support stick by many pilgrims on their way to Santiago, without doubt a really useful, simple and essential tool for the traveller of all times in our history".

Hazelnut wood has also been used for making walking sticks in other regions of Europe, for example in the Alps. The DE Wikipedia says that it is used for making the traditional Basque walking stick called Makila but the EN Wikipedia says they use the wood from medlar trees.

And yet walking sticks are called bastones in Spain 😊. Perhaps because the hazelnut shrub (scientific name is Corylus avellana) does not grow naturally all over Spain but mainly along the northern border? 😊

View attachment 168324
Yes, makila is a common noun that simply means palo or bastón un Euskera, but means also that kind of ceremony pole that transmits respect or authority. Could be coincidence, but in Berria newspaper , in our only national newspaper in euskera (spread and red in both sides of the administrative border), there is today an article about the ceremony makila. It's easy to translate automatically to your language when opening in Chrome. https://www.berria.eus/bizigiro/makilaren-heldulekuak_2123636_102.html
An for your question, about the palo de avellano or bastón, never thought on it but I guess that in Spanish a bastón is a handycrafted palo. If you take directly a hazelnut stick from the tree it would be a palo.

Last edited:

View attachment 168324
I took it to mean the Hazelnut tree, but upon reflecting on your words, it makes sense that it’s the stick.

When you pay in an automatic machine in the super Alcampo you can hear after two locutions " coja su ticket" and " tome su ticket". The second redundant locution I think must be for Latinamerican customers.

When you pay in an automatic machine in the super Alcampo you can hear after two locutions " coja su ticket" and " tome su ticket". The second redundant locution I think must be for Latinamerican customers.
Just my thoughts but I don't think so. As we said, in Spain is a normal verb with no naughty connotations, so it is used normally and with everyone, even if you know how it is used in other countries.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Just my thoughts but I don't think so. As we said, in Spain is a normal verb with no naughty connotations, so it is used normally and with everyone, even if you know how it is used in other countries.
Yes you' re right. " coja su ticket" is the way we say it. " tome su ticket" is the way in Latinoamerica. There are many inmigrants from this area in Madrid, so maybe " tome su ticket" is for them.

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
Look at this! My daily walking route in my neighborhood has a recently inaugurated Cruceiro flown over from Spain! Like it’s sister Cruceiro it was sculpted from a single block of granite the new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.