• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Latest requirements to travel to USA

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
@peregrina2000
Hi Laurie, It’s Dec 6, 2021
I was reading up on the recently closed thread about requirements :

Although I’m not returning to usa from camino this month ., I will be travelling to Usa on December 15, 2021.

I’m stressed to the max with the ever changing requirements.. (in all directions 😂) but my priority right now is into USA.

I’m aware that the requirement is for a Covid test within 24 hrs of departure.
(I wanted to know if the rapid antigen test is approved ?). I have already paid my AUD$150
for an RT-PCR test within 72 hrs but not sure I can get my result from that one if taken within 24 hrs. Happy to pay for the antigen also but wonder if it’s accepted?
I assume the fact that I transit for 4 hrs in Fiji on route won’t effect the requirement of within 24 hrs.

I also thought previously that there was a requirement to have another Covid test on arrival in USA within 24 hrs but can’t see that anymore, nor any mention of quarantine /self isolation there. I may be suffering from ‘tunnel vision’ though, and just not seeing it clearly.

I am now aware that arrivals have to complete an attestation form to arrive in USA.
I believe this is for US residents also ? So will effect pilgrims returning ?

I hope some of the US forum members can chime in with updates please.

Annie.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I’m aware that the requirement is for a Covid test within 24 hrs of departure.
(I wanted to know if the rapid antigen test is approved ?).
The Covid test can be done anytime starting the day before departure of the flight.
It does not have to be within 24 hours. For example if you have a flight at 3pm on Friday you can get your test starting at any time on Thursday or Friday.
Antigen tests are accepted by the US.
The testing rules apply for all passengers on flights to the US.

All of the up-to-date information is on the CDC site.

Hi, @OzAnnie, I thought of you when I first heard about the changes. I have gone to the CDC website, and it looks to me like the only change is the reduction from the 3 day window for a test to a 1 day window for a test.

As I read the regulations, you can have a test at any time of day on the day before your flight. So it’s not a 24 hour window, because you can have a 9 am test on Wednesday and leave at 8 pm on Thursday, as I understand it. Rapid antigen tests are acceptable, so long as they meet the requirements, as are some home tests. Proof of being fully vaccinated is also required for non-citizens.

That is spelled out here:

There are lots of things to click on at the website, which will explain requirements for the type of test accepted, what kind of information needs to be on the test result,

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Proof of being fully vaccinated is also required for non-citizens.
All good in that respect. I had to ‘shop around’ to find a doctor in Oz that would ‘use his/her discretion.. Oz current policy is that we can line up for the Pfizer booster 6 mths after our 2nd jab. That date for me would have been Jan 1,2022. But I managed to get an approval and had my booster Nov29. I’m much happier with that. (In the middle of writing this / I received a phone call from my usual doctor advising me that I could come in for the booster ! )

So - I’ll be carrying a mile of paperwork !

-Insurance (including Covid cover).
-ESTA visa waiver for USA (non citizens )
-international certificate / proof of vaccination
- signed ‘Attestation form’ (new Requirement)
- proof of Covid negative test 24 hrs before departure.

Not sure about tests required after I arrive though

I’ll be so glad when I arrive !!!
Plenty of time to sort out the stuff required to return to Oz at end of January.
First things first.

Thanks for the quick responses. So much appreciated.
X Annie.

Not sure about tests required after I arrive though
I have seen nothing about any post-arrival tests, quarantine, etc. I know they were not part of the earlier set of regulations, so I am assuming, but could of course be wrong, that there is no requirement. But don’t worry about that, because the very fact that you get to a question about post-arrival means you will have arrived!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All good in that respect. I had to ‘shop around’ to find a doctor in Oz that would ‘use his/her discretion.. Oz current policy is that we can line up for the Pfizer booster 6 mths after our 2nd jab. That date for me would have been Jan 1,2022. But I managed to get an approval and had my booster Nov29. I’m much happier with that.
Just in case anyone else comes to the conclusion that the US requires non US Citizens/Permanent residents entering the country to be "boosted" - it doesn't. But they must be "fully vaccinated."
However it sounds like @OzAnnie wants to receive a booster before traveling.

Are you Fully Vaccinated for Air Travel to the United States?

You are considered fully vaccinated:

• 2 weeks (14 days) after your dose of an accepted single-dose vaccine
  • 2 weeks (14 days) after your second dose of an accepted 2-dose series
  • 2 weeks (14 days) after you received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine (not placebo) in a clinical trial
  • 2 weeks (14 days) after you received the full series of a Novavax (or Covovax) COVID-19 vaccine (not placebo) in a phase 3 clinical trial
  • 2 weeks (14 days) after you received 2 doses of any “mix-and-match” combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines administered at least 17 days apart*
If you don’t meet these requirements, you are NOT considered fully vaccinated.

Thanks for making that clear for others. Re vaccination requirements.
The extra booster jab is NOT a requirement at the moment. I’m 72 & just wanted it if possible.

My offsider in California (my sons mother-in-law) sent me this info in an email just received.

As of now, the U.S. government does not requireinternational travelers to get tested or quarantine after arrival. However, if you want to be safe, the CDC recommends that you get tested 3-5 days after arrival. You can use the at home rapid test for this. They are very accurate.

I notice @trecile & @peregrina2000 that you don’t mention the signed attestation form ? Is this only for non residents to Usa ?

Annie

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thanks for making that clear for others. Re vaccination requirements.
The extra booster jab is NOT a requirement at the moment. I’m 72 & just wanted it if possible.

My offsider in California (my sons mother-in-law) sent me this info in an email just received.

As of now, the U.S. government does not requireinternational travelers to get tested or quarantine after arrival. However, if you want to be safe, the CDC recommends that you get tested 3-5 days after arrival. You can use the at home rapid test for this. They are very accurate.

I notice @trecile & @peregrina2000 that you don’t mention the signed attestation form ? Is this only for non residents to Usa ?

Annie
The Attestation form is here, and it looks like the airlines flying into the US have them on their sites. Here are links to a few.

Delta
United
Virgin Atlantic
American

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I returned to the US from France in August and again September 2021, the airline Air France had every passenger fill out the attestation form before boarding. Maybe the same from Australia? I will be flying to Spain via Portugal at the end of December and hope rules for entering and exiting don't change - but you never know nowadays. Jungleboy, let me know your experience in Portugal.

Attestation form is for ALL travelers. It’s been required previously, but the form just changed to show the “one day” testing requirement - be sure you fill out the correct one. France and Portugal have required similar, but then they are basically ignored when you check into the flight (no one logs it or collects it) 🙄

Frankly all this stuff seems to be randomly enforced. We just returned from a cruise (hey, we did the Camino in October so I don't feel unwelcome here) and had to do some PLFs (passenger locator forms) for Greece, (embarkation port), Italy (disembarkation port) and the EU in addition to a newly-mandated 24-hr Covid test for the US. Of all this paperwork only Greek authorities took a cursory look at our PLF and British Airways needed to see our Covid test before boarding for the US. We also got several emails from the airline indicating we needed to complete another locator form for transiting the UK airside at Heathrow, but they seemed to be in conflict with the UK government website so even British Airways doesn't seem to know what's going on. The testing rule changed a few days before our planned return to the US, so we had to get a negative rapid antigen test at the Rome airport (20 euros) the day before boarding a return flight, but didn't even hear of the attestation form requirement for the US until we arrived back at LAX. And nobody looked at ANY paperwork when we were waved through US immigration via Global Entry. So who knows? We stayed confused and uncertain throughout, but got back home without incident. Incidentally we were Covid-tested 4 times in 12 days! -- pre-embarkation, once during the voyage and again just prior to at the disembarkation. And then again at the Rome airport. I won't have to blow my nose for a month. Stay loose travelers, it's a jungle of confusion out there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
newly-mandated 24-hr Covid test for the US.
Again. The time period is not strictly 24 hours.
The Covid test can be done anytime starting the day before departure of the flight.
It does not have to be within 24 hours. For example if you have a flight at 3pm on Friday you can get your test starting at any time on Thursday or Friday.

Quite right, Trecile. My bad.

Here is the only post-arrival information I can find. View attachment 114467
Here is the only post-arrival information I can find. View attachment 114467

View attachment 114468

While one is directed to “get” tested 3-5 days after entry into the USA one is also asked to follow”state and local recommendations or requirements!” Currently, I do not believe most Amercans obtain a follow-up test after traveling abroad.

Frankly, in most parts of the USA there is limited following of the recommendations and limited public follow-up, by state or locality . So it is unlikely you will encounter to anyone, at this point, who will be contacting you after you clear customs, ..unless, perhaps you wind up hospitalized or get a-test at a center. And as far as state and local rules go…good luck with that because lots of residents simply ignore recommendations in certain states.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While one is directed to “get” tested 3-5 days after entry into the USA one is also asked to follow”state and local recommendations or requirements!” Currently, I do not believe most Amercans obtain a follow-up test after traveling abroad.
Tks Marbe2
I’ll be in USA on December 15. I Definitely intend to do a rapid antigen test /(RAT test) 3-5 days after arrival. Even though it’s not mandated ., I feel responsible to take as many precautions for the safety of my family & their friends there .. a happier Christmas.
This would be my policy whenever or wherever I travelled (especially on airplanes & transiting airports .. )

I Definitely intend to do a rapid antigen test /(RAT test) 3-5 days after arrival.

Us too! With free testing easily available in the USA, it’s irresponsible to NOT test upon return home.

Us too! With free testing easily available in the USA, it’s irresponsible to NOT test upon return home.
We have quick antigen tests which I purchased and have at home and can self-test. I agree it is the responsible thing to do…but most people come home, and if they feel OK , they continue about their business . Remember there are hundreds of thousands of people flying around the USA everyday,and none of them are required on flights to be vaccinated,as of this time, before they fly! Most of them are not getting tested after every flight, nor are they being tested before they get on the plane. Just presenting the reality of what is happening in The USA. We are pretty much unregulated. Masks required on federally regulated transportation. There are some state mandates, but many being challenged in the courts. It is really left up to businesses and private employers for the most part. In Pennsylvania, you can walk into many stores and many customers are unmasked. Some places, like NY City have much better compliance..

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Frankly, in most parts of the USA there is limited following of the recommendations and limited public follow-up, by state or locality . So it is unlikely you will encounter to anyone, at this point, who will be contacting you after you clear customs, ..unless, perhaps you wind up hospitalized or get a-test at a center. And as far as state and local rules go…good luck with that because lots of residents simply ignore recommendations in certain states.
Yep, especially Texas! And that's why I will more than likely walk in Europe and perhaps even finally make it to Jerusalem in 2022, but will not be able to see my grandchildren in USA any time soon. My brother in Dallas has finally got vaccinated but does not "believe in" masks and his wife is waiting for more "scientific evidence " before deciding about the vaccine. Sorry, admin, delete if inappropriate, I just had to vent somewhere....

Last edited:
Yep, especially Texas! And that's why I will more than likely walk in Europe and perhaps even finally make it to Jerusalem in 2022, but will not be able to see my grandchildren in USA any time soon. My brother in Dallas has finally got vaccinated but does not "believe in" masks and his wife is waiting for more "scientific evidence " before deciding about the vaccine. Sorry, admin, delete if inappropriate, I just to vent somewhere....
Don’t worry about it; several of my family members surprise me daily by being able to cross the road on their own. We’ve all got at least one.

I found this thread…..which I knew but forgot about. Instead of three days-we only have 24 hrs or from sometime the day before we fly back to the USA from Spain.

I looked on the United Airlines website and they are continuing to offer the
Abbott BinaxNow ANTIGEN TEST.

Anyone else using this Abbott test this time around?

According to emed they are still acceptable to CDC.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found this thread…..which I knew but forgot about. Instead of three days-we only have 24 hrs or from sometime the day before we fly back to the USA from Spain.
Actually not exactly 24 hours. The test can be done starting any time the day before your flight. For example if you are flying at 3 pm on Friday you can take a test any time starting on Thursday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back