• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Latest Covid requirements for EU

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelys

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Camino Frances
Hello everyone,

I read the posts on COVID entry requirements and am confused.

Few questions:
At this point, I have my two vaccinations (last one in July 2021), I was wondering what where the recent entry requirements regarding COVID19 in EU ?
  • Do I need a EU-Covid Certificate to enter France or Spain (or is it only for EU residents ) ?
  • I need to fill out a Spain Health Control Form (FCS) 48hr before entering Spain via an app that will generate a QR Code ???
  • With this information seen on TravelDoc : Keep in mind that you need 14 days from the last dose at least and no more than 270 days since the date of administration of your last dose. From that moment on, your vaccination certificate must show the administration of your booster dose.
  • No sure whether I need a booster dose, if I start my Camino May 22nd
Your suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you/Merci.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With constant changes, disregard past forum posts and ONLY look at the government sites for accurate, up-to-date info. I’d advise you to get a booster ASAP, not only to make your camino easier, but also to keep you safe.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your third bullet point illustrates the poor wording of the guidance, at least as translated into English.

What it means is: if you have had two doses of a two-dose vaccine, or one dose of a one-dose vaccine; you’re OK to enter from 14 days after the second (or only) dose is administered.

You remain OK to enter for a period of 270 days. Beyond that period you must have had a booster.

The rules are still changing frequently. Most recently they’ve been easing.

At the moment the others are correct. You need a booster.

It varies from country to country, and that's both country of origin and country of arrival.

The EU Commission (via a spokesman, so not officially as such) has recently called for a normalisation of entry rules throughout the Union, so that they would be the same everywhere, which illustrates that at present they diverge from place to place. What they suggested was an end to all travel restrictions.

You should ignore all posts on Covid entry requirements including this one. Posts may be out of date, downright wrong or missing a vital piece of information. Of course, we love to reply to questions with what we know and believe to be up to date, correct and useful. This post may be out of date before the day is over.

I was wondering what where the recent entry requirements regarding COVID19 in EU ?
First and foremost entry requirements depend on: Which non-EU country you fly from and which EU country you fly to and which category of travellers you belong to - you may have a choice between several categories. This is what you need to be clear about first. Further requirements may result from this.

Do I need a EU-Covid Certificate to enter France or Spain (or is it only for EU residents ) ?
If you did not receive an EU Digital Covid-19 Certificate for your vaccinations by now anyway, you don't need to have one to be allowed to fly from Canada to France or from Canada to Spain.

I need to fill out a Spain Health Control Form (FCS) 48hr before entering Spain via an app that will generate a QR Code ???
That's what it says on every website about entry requirements for Spain. To be precise: You can start filling out the SpTH/FCS form at any time; you must complete it before departure; you can only complete it during the 48-hours window before your departure.

With this information seen on TravelDoc : Keep in mind that you need 14 days from the last dose at least and no more than 270 days since the date of administration of your last dose. From that moment on, your vaccination certificate must show the administration of your booster dose.
And that refers to flights from where to where and for which category of travellers?

No sure whether I need a booster dose, if I start my Camino May 22nd
And neither are we sure whether you need a booster dose if you start your Camino May 22nd. If you fly from Canada to Spain tomorrow: You need a booster. If you fly from Canada to France tomorrow: You don't need a booster.

If I were you, I'd get my booster. Today.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The EU Commission (via a spokesman, so not officially as such) has recently called for a normalisation of entry rules throughout the Union, so that they would be the same everywhere, which illustrates that at present they diverge from place to place. What they suggested was an end to all travel restrictions.
I would hesitate to conclude that what they mean is a free for all. Are you sure that this refers to travel from anywhere, for example from Canada, and not to travel between EU countries only and the EU citizens' right to free movement?

In any case, the EU Digital Covid-19 Certificate system which was initially planned to be in operation until July 2022 only will be with us for another year until July 2023 - the regulation is making its way through the European Parliament as we speak. And that's a regulation and not merely a recommendation.

For those interested, recent press release here. Scroll down to EU Digital COVID Certificate: Commission adopts second report on impact and implementation across the EU and "we urge Member States to lift ...". Not exactly non-official. They've been urging this publicly for quite a while. They've also been urging for common rules for travel restrictions for all EU countries for the last two years, since March 2020 when all this started ...

Don't give your readers false hopes. 😂

Last edited:
For those interested, recent press release here. Scroll down to EU Digital COVID Certificate: Commission adopts second report on impact and implementation across the EU and "we urge Member States to lift ...".
I clicked on the link and then on the link to the report published by the European Commission recently on 15 March 2022. It's 27 pages and I did not read them all. This caught my eye:

In the survey mentioned previously, essentially all responding Member States indicated a possible need, in the context of travel, for proofs of vaccination, test or recovery during the second half of 2022 and the first half of 2023.
Draw your own conclusions from this. Member States = EU countries.

You should ignore all posts on Covid entry requirements including this one. Posts may be out of date, downright wrong or missing a vital piece of information. Of course, we love to reply to questions with what we know and believe to be up to date, correct and useful. This post may be out of date before the day is over.
I love this @Kathar1na ❤️ And of course you are right. You have done a great job over many months - and truly much more than could be reasonably expected - to help forum members navigate the covid rules of entry from all manner of places to various destinations, even as the rules change and change again.

Just my perspective - but surely it’s time now for people to take up the mantle and navigate the requirements based on their particular circumstances. It may be confusing, and can take time to work through, but hundreds of thousands of people are travelling to, from and within the EU every day 😎 and the vast majority without the benefit of this forum. We’re flying to Paris from Sydney in 3 days. Can’t wait. All very straightforward now for fully vaxxed and boostered travellers from this ‘orange’ country.

👍

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, there is something else in the recent European Commission report that may be of interest. About 60 countries are now connected to the EU Digital Covid-19 Certificate system, among them New Zealand. The report says that more non-EU countries (called "third countries") have applied to be connected ("equivalence decision") but it does not list them by name:

In addition, more third countries continue to apply for an equivalence decision. By 16 February 2022, there had been preliminary contacts with 35 interested third countries or territories, 25 of which had formally submitted the results of the self-assessment of their readiness to join the EU system.
So before you know it, your country may have joined the EU DCC system and your vaccination certificate is recognised as fully equivalent to the EU DCC for travel purposes.

About 60 countries are now connected to the EU Digital Covid-19 Certificate system, among them New Zealand.
Is Australia on that list by any chance? A quick Google search didn't show anything positive.

Hello everyone,

Few questions:
At this point, I have my two vaccinations (last one in July 2021), I was wondering what where the recent entry requirements regarding COVID19 in EU ?
  • Do I need a EU-Covid Certificate to enter France or Spain (or is it only for EU residents ) ?
  • I need to fill out a Spain Health Control Form (FCS) 48hr before entering Spain via an app that will generate a QR Code ???
  • With this information seen on TravelDoc : Keep in mind that you need 14 days from the last dose at least and no more than 270 days since the date of administration of your last dose. From that moment on, your vaccination certificate must show the administration of your booster dose.
Thank you/Merci.
I would get a booster dose. They do check your vaccine status when you fly into Europe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello everyone,

Few questions:
Thank you/Merci.
A person can get updated through thier airline carrier in the U S and they are updated regularly.

Curious about the Booster. I will travel to Europe (this time not for Camino -- but I hope to do that again soon) in May. I got a booster (Pfizer) back in early October. Some folks in the US got boosters even earlier. US has not authorized a 2nd booster yet. By June I'll likely be past the 270 day mark. I'm not so much looking for a complete answer... just more wondering.

Curious about the Booster. I will travel to Europe (this time not for Camino -- but I hope to do that again soon) in May. I got a booster (Pfizer) back in early October. Some folks in the US got boosters even earlier. US has not authorized a 2nd booster yet. By June I'll likely be past the 270 day mark. I'm not so much looking for a complete answer... just more wondering.
When you say "booster" do you mean you have two doses of Pfizer or three?
For us the booster was the third vaccine.

First and foremost entry requirements depend on: Which non-EU country you fly from and which EU country you fly to and which category of travellers you belong to - you may have a choice between several categories. This is what you need to be clear about first. Further requirements may result from this.

If you did not receive an EU Digital Covid-19 Certificate for your vaccinations by now anyway, you don't need to have one to be allowed to fly from Canada to France or from Canada to Spain.

That's what it says on every website about entry requirements for Spain. To be precise: You can start filling out the SpTH/FCS form at any time; you must complete it before departure; you can only complete it during the 48-hours window before your departure.

And that refers to flights from where to where and for which category of travellers?

And neither are we sure whether you need a booster dose if you start your Camino May 22nd. If you fly from Canada to Spain tomorrow: You need a booster. If you fly from Canada to France tomorrow: You don't need a booster.

Kathar,….. thank you for answers for entry into France and Spain, by breaking them down. Im flying Toronto/Paris /Biarritz on April 24th , and will start walking the Camino from SJPP on April 27th, and will enter in Spain ( Roncesvalles) April 28th . I have TWO vaccination shots and BOOSTER in 2021 ( April/June and November 2021) still not sure what else to I need to do to make sure it is hassle free entry to both countries, Im in Mississauga Ont. Any word about it will be appreciated. Keep well, Cheers !

When you say "booster" do you mean you have two doses of Pfizer or three?
For us the booster was the third vaccine.
I believe "the booster" is "the additional" dose after the proper count of original ones (i.e. Pfizer & Moderna had 2 shots each and J&J only 1 so booster therefore is #3 and # 2 respectively)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I believe "the booster" is "the additional" dose after the proper count of original ones (i.e. Pfizer & Moderna had 2 shots each and J&J only 1 so booster therefore is #3 and # 2 respectively)
I have all three ( two plus booster ) Pfizer. Buen Camino.

@Kathar1na - a Camino Angel....nay... A SAINT! 😍🥰
so many questions patiently answered.

Here is my take on it and 5pense for what its worth:
Get all the shots there are (vaccines, boosters et al) - better safe than sorry and, chances are, this will be required so why risk it?
Forget about anything that is happening "now" least you are actually traveling within upcoming 2 weeks
within said 2 weeks of your travel date - start paying attention to requirements and act upon them

I am 60 days 10 hours 47 minutes and counting and pretty much "in the same boat". Nothing I can do except to comply and wait. Maybe the requirements will be eased or (better yet!) dropped....maybe they will be tightened again (hope not). No way to know and no need to speculate. I just sincerely hope that if the 4th doze is required it wont happened on the day that I am flying out as that possibly will present its own challenges...but if that is the case - I reckon I'll have to deal with it then.

Good Luck to All and Buen Camino!

Nicollb above said the US had no plans for a second booster and that she would be past the 270 days but that only applies to people who only had two shots and no booster to my reading of it, that's why I asked the question.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@Kathar1na - a Camino Angel....nay... A SAINT! 😍🥰
so many questions patiently answered.

Here is my take on it and 5pense for what its worth:
Get all the shots there are (vaccines, boosters et al) - better safe than sorry and, chances are, this will be required so why risk it?
Forget about anything that is happening "now" least you are actually traveling within upcoming 2 weeks
within said 2 weeks of your travel date - start paying attention to requirements and act upon them

I am 60 days 10 hours 47 minutes and counting and pretty much "in the same boat". Nothing I can do except to comply and wait. Maybe the requirements will be eased or (better yet!) dropped....maybe they will be tightened again (hope not). No way to know and no need to speculate. I just sincerely hope that if the 4th doze is required it wont happened on the day that I am flying out as that possibly will present its own challenges...but if that is the case - I reckon I'll have to deal with it then.

Good Luck to All and Buen Camino!
I agree , let’s cross that bridge when we come to it , why worry five weeks in advance ,
In Canada 🇨🇦 they will pretty much stop all the tests and what one needs to enter who are already vaccinated, yay. !!
Your five pence were worth more than my two and half cents . Buen Camino to all .

I will be having a fourth shot next week - our health authority is recommending them for highly vulnerable people. At my age, I'm highly vulnerable!

We Australians are still not allowed into Portugal (if flying from Australia without a stopover/layover) nor are our vaccination certificates accepted. But apparently it is fine if we come through Spain. Weird.

Hello everyone,

Few questions:
Thank you/Merci.
I will be having a fourth shot next week - our health authority is recommending them for highly vulnerable people. At my age, I'm highly vulnerable!

We Australians are still not allowed into Portugal (if flying from Australia without a stopover/layover) nor are our vaccination certificates accepted. But apparently it is fine if we come through Spain. Weird.
Kanga

Kanga and all. An update from my wife Ce from Australia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some folks in the US got boosters even earlier. US has not authorized a 2nd booster yet. By June I'll likely be past the 270 day mark.
Your initial set of 2 Pfizer or Moderna shots will "expire" in 270 days unless you get a "booster"

That "booster" - whether it happens within the 270 days or later - does not have an expiry date (at least not yet, anywhere).

Ce from Blue Mountains, Australia started the Camino Frances and went through SJPDP just over a week ago and was told at the pilgrim office she was the first Australian in 2 years to go through.
She is not able to post and asked me to do this for her.
She was triple vaxxed and carried Rapid Antigen Test kits and had no issues earlier in UK and in France and Spain.
Uk had few Covid requirements.
She had walked for a week on the Camino Frances and found very little open, including albergues - with most due to come on line in April.
She was managing well with a bus here and a taxi or lift there.
She had a slight cough in an Albergue past Burgos 5 days ago and RAT tested herself and was shocked to register positive for Covid!
She informed the few peregrinos there and most shot out the door. The hospitalaro was great, made the necessary calls and arranged accommodation in Burgos for isolation and a taxi.
After 2 hotels in Burgos turned her down she found a small albergue with an individual room, tv, ensuite and they are looking after her beautifully.
She will be out of self imposed quarantine in two days after 7 in isolation and may taxi forward, probably to Lyons to catch up with her camino family.
She has walked before many times and is not stressed by not walking every step, she still has weeks to go!
She has not really seen anyone else RAT testing and there is no requirement in albergues or hotels etc.
There have been some Perigrinos with coughs etc and she must have caught it in an albergue or other accommodation a few days before.
For her it was just a cough for a couple of days and a headache.
She feels it is not as bad as flu would normally be for her.
She did the right test and actioned it, but if she hadn’t and had walked on as many others may be doing, she would not have known that she had had Covid there.
Maybe this is now life getting a little back to normal and the camino is learning to live with it?
A bonus is that everything should now open up in front of her heading towards Easter.
She seems to be loving her Camino and being there again.
Suggest anyone planning to go gets all vax shots or walks in full ppe!

Thanks for that @Blaster. I definitely had extra masks in my packing list, but had not thought of RAT tests; an excellent idea. I will take some. I don't want to contract it myself, but even more, I don't want to pass it on to someone else, especially if they are vulnerable. This seems to be such a sneaky disease, some people get really bad symptoms, some virtually none, and long covid is a nasty thing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will take some. I don't want to contract it myself, but even more, I don't want to pass it on to someone else, especially if they are vulnerable.
I agree.
It's a little bit like bed bugs. I'm not so much worried about being bitten myself (though of course I don't want to be!), but if I see any evidence of bed bugs I make sure to treat all of my belongings so that I don't inadvertently pass them on to someone else.

Yes to RATs and masks for sure. 👍 We leave in 2 days and they are already in our backpacks. Luckily they weigh next to nothing and well worth it in any case.

@Blaster Ce really did the right thing. Good on her. Hope she has a full and speedy recovery to continue on her Way. 🙏

And first Australian walking out of SJPP in two years - Wow 👍

Don't give your readers false hopes. 😂
I made it clear that those particular statements were from a spokesman, and "not official", and that they were a recommendation, therefore not establishing any new EU-wide mandate. It is not surprising that the official positions of the EU are non-identical to those unofficial recommendations provided outside official channels.

Each EU country remains sovereign to decide on its own border controls and entry requirements, the only exception being the principle of free movement within the EU, as established by the EU Treaties. But the EU has no power to require France, for example, to institute particular immigration policies vis-à-vis the UK, US, Australia, or any other 3rd country. Not without suing the country through the European Court of Justice.

As for hope, there's nothing "false" about suggesting that the general outlook for pilgrims hoping to commence a Camino this year or later seems to be looking up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A SAINT! so many questions patiently answered.
Thank you. It is of course a nice feeling when efforts to be useful are recognised but please don't. It makes me feel embarrassed. And there is no suitable emoji for expressing it ... oh I see it's supposed to be the flushed face emoji 😳 ... I never noticed before that it has red cheeks. 😊

And, actually, I feel only saintly when my fingers itch to type a reply to a comment that clearly needs correcting but I refrain from replying because it is too far off Camino and of no practical use to past, current or future Camino pilgrims on the forum.

Also, there is a small army of those who patiently reply to questions. I sometimes think: "Should I answer now or wait for @trecile or someone else who also knows what I know". ☺️

Here is my take on it and 5 pence for what it's worth: Get all the shots there are (vaccines, boosters et al) - better safe than sorry and, chances are, this will be required so why risk it?
Yes. And to clarify again, from a purely practical and travel-to-Europe focussed point of view:
  • Those who completed their primary vaccination (usually two doses) and received a third jab aka booster jab (one dose) are in the best position as far as health-related requirements for entry into an EU country are concerned.

• If your primary vaccination series was completed more than 270 days (≈ 9 months) ago and you did not get a booster at any time since then, meaning not within those 270 days and not at a later date, you will be subject to the same entry requirements, or subject to an outright entry ban, as non-vaccinated travellers are.

Last edited:
In these sorts of matters I really only know what I've learned from you! 🙂
I'm pretty confident that you don't believe everything I post and you do some reading of your own ☺️.

And perhaps that's what we should take from this exchange: There is great information on the forum, many people are trying their very best to share information and explain but everybody should also try to do some reading and checking of their own.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you go by plane to Geneva (Swiss) no COVID entry requirements, free, then take BlaBlaCar to France
I go by car from the Netherlands.

Buen Camino

If you go by plane to Geneva (Swiss) no COVID entry requirements, free, then take BlaBlaCar to France
I go by car from the Netherlands.
Taking off my halo for a moment and discarding my neutral information tone for a moment: What are you trying to say? That you live in the Netherlands and go by car to France and there are no controls at the land border? Many people cross land borders by car and there are not Covid-19 related health controls - it has been like this for umpteen months. That those who do not live on the European continent and who would need to fly or take the boat or have to pass border control at the international railway station St Pancras in London have options to avoid a particular entry requirement by choosing their airport of arrival wisely and then continue to travel to their destination country on land? None of this is a secret. From all we know, Portuguese consulates around the world are even advising potential travellers from Australia to proceed like this, which is quite mindboggling.

Bottom line: People who have followed their country's vaccination recommendations have nothing to worry about. They can travel to Europe and go on Camino. Maybe one or the other EU country still requires a pre-flight test, so what. Most no longer require it for vaccinated travellers. Those who, for whatever reason, are not vaccinated as recommended to them, should have the decency to follow the rules of their country of destination.

Last edited:

Stay tuned if 65 or over.
Pfizer and moderna have both petitioned FDA for a 4th shot for those 65+ with the upswing in cases in Europe. USA is usually about 3 weeks behind in terms of cases. Unfortunately our overall vaccination rates are lower than in western europe.

Last edited:
Ce from Blue Mountains, Australia started the Camino Frances and went through SJPDP just over a week ago and was told at the pilgrim office she was the first Australian in 2 years to go through.
She was triple vaxxed and carried Rapid Antigen Test kits and had no issues earlier in UK and in France and Spain.
She had walked for a week on the Camino Frances and found very little open, including albergues - with most due to come on line in April.
She had a slight cough in an Albergue past Burgos 5 days ago and RAT tested herself and was shocked to register positive for Covid!
She informed the few peregrinos there and most shot out the door. The hospitalaro was great, made the necessary calls and arranged accommodation in Burgos for isolation and a taxi.
After 2 hotels in Burgos turned her down she found a small albergue with an individual room, tv, ensuite and they are looking after her beautifully.
She will be out of self imposed quarantine in two days after 7 in isolation and may taxi forward, probably to Lyons to catch up with her camino family.
She has walked before many times and is not stressed by not walking every step, she still has weeks to go!
She has not really seen anyone else RAT testing and there is no requirement in albergues or hotels etc.
There have been some Perigrinos with coughs etc and she must have caught it in an albergue or other accommodation a few days before.
She did the right test and actioned it, but if she hadn’t and had walked on as many others may be doing, she would not have known that she had had Covid there.
Maybe this is now life getting a little back to normal and the camino is learning to live with it?
A bonus is that everything should now open up in front of her heading towards Easter.
Hi @Blaster - I’m so sorry to hear that Ce has come down with Covid. I hope she’ll recover quickly and have a wonderful camino once she’s back out on those fabulous paths.
Please give her my best wishes when you’re next in contact with her.
Cheers from Sydney -
Jenny

Stay tuned if 65 or over.
Pfizer and moderna have both petitioned FDA for a 4th shot for those 65+ with the upswing in cases in Europe. USA is usually about 3 weeks behind in terms of cases. Unfortunately our overall vaccination rates are lower than in western europe.

Yes, I'm getting my 4th shot this week.

Hi @Blaster - I’m so sorry to hear that Ce has come down with Covid. I hope she’ll recover quickly and have a wonderful camino once she’s back out on those fabulous paths.
Please give her my best wishes when you’re next in contact with her.
Cheers from Sydney -
Jenny
Thanks Jenny, she is able to start again tomorrow. It wasn’t too debilitating from what she said and she was looked after very well. Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your third bullet point illustrates the poor wording of the guidance, at least as translated into English.

What it means is: if you have had two doses of a two-dose vaccine, or one dose of a one-dose vaccine; you’re OK to enter from 14 days after the second (or only) dose is administered.

You remain OK to enter for a period of 270 days. Beyond that period you must have had a booster.

The rules are still changing frequently. Most recently they’ve been easing.

At the moment the others are correct. You need a booster.
I am going to Spain in Sept and my booster was in Nov 2021 long after the 270 day cut off. Am i going to be able to get a 4th vaccine???

Leading us all here in Oz with no 4 @Kanga

When was your first booster ? Is a 4th shot available from most doctors if you’re in the ‘vulnerable’ category? I am interested too.
Yes, a while ago ATAGI suggested that the very vulnerable get a 4th shot 3 months after their booster. One of our adult children has MS and she was among the first to get it. I had mine after discussions with my doctor. It is over 3 months since I had my booster.

I'm now waiting for the newest batch of the 'flu shot to arrive, and I plan to have that before I leave for Portugal/Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

Few questions:
Thank you/Merci.
SPAIN Heslth form on their website. SpTH
Yes, mine was checked twice - Calgary Canada and again in Bilbao Spain. The form accepts your email address. When form is done you’ll get QR code by email. Mine took an hour to do at airport! That was before checking in.

Hello everyone,

Few questions:
Thank you/Merci.
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Kathar1na, your well-rounded answers were mostly appreciated!

For those who answered my thread, I just wanted to say that my questions were not related to the importance of once getting a booster (third or fourth shot ) or even getting a vaccine. I trully do not want to make an issue on vaccine! My 3 and 4th questions (which I did not translate) were more related to the time between my second shot and the 270 days requirements when entering Spain, for a booster since am starting in May. That was it! If something needs to be done for my Camino, am ready!

Kathar1na, as you said ........ignore all the posts on covid requirements and look for each country entry requirements starting from Canada.

Thanks
With joy and kindness.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Kathar1na, your well-rounded answers were mostly appreciated!

For those who answered my thread, I just wanted to say that my questions were not related to the importance of once getting a booster (third or fourth shot ) or even getting a vaccine. I trully do not want to make an issue on vaccine! My 3 and 4th questions (which I did not translate) were more related to the time between my second shot and the 270 days requirements when entering Spain, for a booster since am starting in May. That was it! If something needs to be done for my Camino, am ready!

Kathar1na, as you said ........ignore all the posts on covid requirements and look for each country entry requirements starting from Canada.

Thanks
With joy and kindness.
Within 48 hrs departing Canada, you will need to complete the SpTH form unless this becomes null and void by May. I’m in Spain now and I got asked for it twice. I left Alberta Mar. 18.

Update from Ce in Burgos - isolating with Covid
Just to pass on live info for her.
Ce last Monday self Rapid Antigen Tested in an albergue past Burgos and was positive having picked it up along the way from SJPdP although she is triple vaxxed - her symptome were correspondingly mild with cough, running nose and a headache for 2 days.
She did the right thing, informed the others who rushed out the door!
The Hospitalero helped her find a small hotel that took her (2 other hotels declined) and arranged a taxi there.
She called the Health no but they were not very helpful.
She isolated for the 7 days.
This Mon she paid her bill and went to find a doctor to give her a certificate. One wouldn't see her and she went to a public hospital. They told her to come back in 2 hours which she did.
They gave her a RAT test that was faintly positive. She offered a photo of the previous RAT test she did herself but they would not accept it and she was told to isolate further for 2-3 days and she would get a call!
The Health call is slow coming and she is nearly there and will use her own RAT test to ensure she is clear.
The lesson looks like - if you are +ve on your own test you must get a witnessed test from a Pharmacy, Doctor or Hospital to start the quarantine...
Only that starts the isolation clock officially ticking for a 7 day isolation.
She had very mild symptoms and is ready to go again.
There will be quite a few on the Way who have symptoms or are shedding but do not test and do not report or stop so common sense precautions are wise.

Just to pass on live info for her.
Ce last Monday self Rapid Antigen Tested in an albergue past Burgos and was positive having picked it up along the way from SJPdP although she is triple vaxxed - her symptome were correspondingly mild with cough, running nose and a headache for 2 days.
She did the right thing, informed the others who rushed out the door!
The Hospitalero helped her find a small hotel that took her (2 other hotels declined) and arranged a taxi there.
This Mon she paid her bill and went to find a doctor to give her a certificate. One wouldn't see her and she went to a public hospital. They told her to come back in 2 hours which she did.
They gave her a RAT test that was faintly positive. She offered a photo of the previous RAT test she did herself but they would not accept it and she was told to isolate further for 2-3 days and she would get a call!
The Health call is slow coming and she is nearly there and will use her own RAT test to ensure she is clear.
The lesson looks like - if you are +ve on your own test you must get a witnessed test from a Pharmacy, Doctor or Hospital to start the quarantine...
She had very mild symptoms and is ready to go again.
There will be quite a few on the Way who have symptoms or are shedding but do not test and do not report or stop so common sense precautions are wise.
Wish her full and speedy recovery, Buen Camino.

€149,-
Hopefully, CE is on her way by now!
Thanks, yes Ce yesterday passed through Sarria having trained forward from Burgos to where she would have been - after 5 Camnios "has the T shirt" and doesn't feel compelled to walk every step - still carring her pack and feeling ok. She had to isolate another 2-1 days when the hospital would accept her RAT test ( only a Chemist, Doctor or Hospital test is considered official" see my post above.
She is fine and going well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for this. I'm planning on walking mid August and this helps clarify the issue I had if you caught covid and needed to self isolate

It's also about protecting others. I wanted to know what I needed to do if I caught it and needed to self isolate. The issue is finding accommodation until testing negative

Last edited by a moderator:
This Mon she paid her bill and went to find a doctor to give her a certificate. She offered a photo of the previous RAT test she did herself but they would not accept it and she was told to isolate further for 2-3 days ... you must get a witnessed test from a Pharmacy, Doctor or Hospital to start the quarantine...
So Ce spent 7 days in self-isolation, then 2-3 days waiting on a certificate, then 7 more days isolation to get cleared? Holy cow.

So Ce spent 7 days in self-isolation, then 2-3 days waiting on a certificate, then 7 more days isolation to get cleared? Holy cow.
Not quite (only 7 + 2-3) .

Day 1 - she did her own 2 RAT tests and found she was positive for Covid (probably caught it a few days before in another Albergue).

Ce informed the other pilgrims at the Albergue that morning and they were quickly out the door and back on their walk - including a man that had been suffering a cough for a few days!

Ce quickly reported to the Hospitalero, who was great and helped her - after two hotels refused to take her for isolation in Burgos, she found one that did and organised a taxi to get Ce there.

Ce tried to call a health hotline there but was unsuccessful being understood.

She self-isolated for 7 days.

Ce paid her bill and went to a Dr in Burgos for a cert - they wouldn't see her so she went to a hospital - they said they were too busy and come back in 2 hours!

She did and they gave her a RAT test that was faintly positive (much less than her earlier one), and said she had to isolate.

She showed a photo of her earlier tests and they said they could only accept a test from a chemist, Dr or Hospital and to now self isolate for 2-3 days and someone would call her.

She got back to the previous hotel who were very helpful, gave her her own room back and 3 days later (10 in all) after a -ve self RAT test and no call back, she went back on the walk.

She went forward by train and met up with her Camino family again and walked into Santiago, had a rest and for fun, went to a Corona and is walking back again to Santiago.

As a triple vaxxed person she only had a couple of days of a cough and headache at the beginning and said she feels fine.

Looks like many Peregrinos may be walking with Covid symptoms but are not treating them as anything more than the old flu, so if you need to take precautions around others.

If you are unwell, get an "official test - Chemist, Doc or Hospital at the beginning".

The rules have probably changed by now re isolation periods and close contact rules so keep checking.

It would be great if Pilgrims are give some helpful literature along the way for what to do if unwell but it is probably changing so quickly (masks indoors are about to disappear) but a working hotline telephone number might be helpful?

Buen Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.