• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy April 2020 ??

Kristig

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Conques April 2020
Hi I am taking my mum (75) and thinking of doing Le Puy to Conques in April 2020
First walking trip... she is a fit 75 year old but I’m worried about the weather at that time of year - can anyone share their experience and any suggestions welcome !!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am also considering Le Puy starting in late April / early May 2020 so I’ll be interested in hearing the responses. I think we can expect to see snow on the ground in April, but I’m not sure where.

Husband and I (Australians) walked Le Puy to Santiago, starting in early April 2018. Recommend being prepared for everything from snow to rain and heat. We walked through two days of falling snow on and around the Aubrac plateau. Rain and subsequent mud also made some of the steep climbs up and down on the way to Conques pretty interesting. It was a wonderful walk, very well marked and with fabulous regional food. However, it is very steep with rocky paths in the early stages and you need to be reasonably fit. Recommend you book gites a few days in advance and carry some food because you can’t always depend on villages having shops/cafes open as you go through. Also strongly recommend Miam Miam Dodo guide - has lots of detail. Feel free to message me if you have any queries or if I can help further. RNC

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Husband and I (Australians) walked Le Puy to Santiago, starting in early April 2018. Recommend being prepared for everything from snow to rain and heat. We walked through two days of falling snow on and around the Aubrac plateau. Rain and subsequent mud also made some of the steep climbs up and down on the way to Conques pretty interesting. It was a wonderful walk, very well marked and with fabulous regional food. However, it is very steep with rocky paths in the early stages and you need to be reasonably fit. Recommend you book gites a few days in advance and carry some food because you can’t always depend on villages having shops/cafes open as you go through. Also strongly recommend Miam Miam Dodo guide - has lots of detail. Feel free to message me if you have any queries or if I can help further. RNC
Thankyou that is excellent information, the steep section is a bit of a concern .. really appreciate your response

We walked the first half (Le Puy to Cahors) last year in September - including 2 friends in their 70’s, one woman 86 (who still runs marathons!), all VERY fit, and found both the terrain and the constant climbing and descending relentless. This was no doubt exacerbated by the heat, but we all agreed this was pushing us harder than expected. So while I can’t address your question about April, let this inspire you to be prepared for a (BEAUTIFUL) challenge!

We will walk from April 26. For the first two or three weeks, we will walk only about 16 km on average per day because of the steep hills.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Easter in 2020 falls on April 12. Many gites are open only from Easter to All Saints (check MMD for specific details). There is also a school holiday falling in mid-April 2020 (https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/school-holidays-france/). So there will be more walkers during and immediately following Holy Week, plus possibly fewer lodgings. Booking in advance is strongly recommended (places that speak English book up early).

Hi I am taking my mum (75) and thinking of doing Le Puy to Conques in April 2020
First walking trip... she is a fit 75 year old but I’m worried about the weather at that time of year - can anyone share their experience and any suggestions welcome !!
As RNC said when you are walking in Spring or later Autumn always be prepared for everything. You will never know is about the only constant there is.

@Kristig

The weather in April is variable, especially on the portion of the route that you and your mother are planning to walk. Le Puy is 630 m above sea level. In the following couple of days of walking you will gain more elevation and then walk across the Aubrac Plateau which is more than 1000m above sea level. It can snow on the Aubrac Platreau even in late April. I have hiked across it twice and that's what happened to me on my last trip there around April 25. I encountered just very heavy winds and descended into Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac before the snow started. The next day was sunny and before noon I was walking in short-sleeves.

I live in the northeastern part of the U.S. and our weather during April is exactly the same - variable. Maybe snowing, raining, or warm and sunny. You won't have any good prediction until about a week before you arrive.

Keep in mind the advice to book in advance that @Kitsambler has provided.

I have used hiking poles for many years and they were good to have on this stretch because of some rocky ups and downs.

Bon chemin.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am also considering Le Puy starting in late April / early May 2020 so I’ll be interested in hearing the responses. I think we can expect to see snow on the ground in April, but I’m not sure where.
I have walked the Le Puy route x 3, once with my then 81 year old husband. He managed just fine. I walked twice in June and once late August. The 2 June trips had very different weather. Perfect in 2012 and this year it was either cold and rainy or sweltering in the heat wave. Terrain wise, yes it is up and down a lot on the Le Puy to Conques stretch, but if you keep your distances right down, 14 to 16 km it is very doable. It is a magnificent route. In April be prepared for all weathers.

Easter in 2020 falls on April 12. Many gites are open only from Easter to All Saints (check MMD for specific details). There is also a school holiday falling in mid-April 2020 (https://www.schoolholidayseurope.eu/school-holidays-france/). So there will be more walkers during and immediately following Holy Week, plus possibly fewer lodgings. Booking in advance is strongly recommended (places that speak English book up early).
Thankyou for your advice 👍

@Kristig

The weather in April is variable, especially on the portion of the route that you and your mother are planning to walk. Le Puy is 630 m above sea level. In the following couple of days of walking you will gain more elevation and then walk across the Aubrac Plateau which is more than 1000m above sea level. It can snow on the Aubrac Platreau even in late April. I have hiked across it twice and that's what happened to me on my last trip there around April 25. I encountered just very heavy winds and descended into Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac before the snow started. The next day was sunny and before noon I was walking in short-sleeves.

I live in the northeastern part of the U.S. and our weather during April is exactly the same - variable. Maybe snowing, raining, or warm and sunny. You won't have any good prediction until about a week before you arrive.

Keep in mind the advice to book in advance that @Kitsambler has provided.

I have used hiking poles for many years and they were good to have on this stretch because of some rocky ups and downs.

Bon chemin.

Tom
Thanks Tom, appreciate the advice. Mum not keen on the rocky terrain so we might do Sarria to Santiago or via Francigena ... hard to know and we are so far away in Aus! Kristi

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Kristig - I saw that several early posts mentioned the "difficulty" of the Le Puy to Conques walk. This sense of being "difficult" is very subjective. I have done a lot of hiking in the mountains near me and there is nothing on the Camino routes that I have walked in France, Spain, or Portugal that I would consider "difficult". Tiring, yes, and sometimes I have been short of breath during long climbs.

So I just want to say that if you are both fairly fit, I'd still consider it. You pass through several very beautiful small towns and villages which alternate with interesting countryside. The food is better than what is found in Spain along the CF. And it will be much less crowded than the CF. The weather, however, will be what it will be as will the ups and downs.

The weather in April is variable, especially on the portion of the route that you and your mother are planning to walk

Perfect in 2012 and this year it was either cold and rainy or sweltering in the heat wave.

I started from Le Puy in early April. When making my bookings I had the foresight to begin a day after torrential rain and had perfect weather every day, bar one, through to the border. On the other hand a near neighbour (about 150 km away) has walked through Le Puy twice in April and struck snow on both occasions.

Yes it is up and down a lot on the Le Puy to Conques stretch

This sense of being "difficult" is very subjective

I come from a hilly part of the world and have no terrible thoughts about a 70 m pull up over 1 km (7%) - the last uphill section of a walk from my nearest village/city centre (4 km away) towards my home.
On starting from Le Puy Cathedral about 08h30 (after Mass and Pilgrims Blessing and a stamp in my credencial), I dawdled so I could take in the change in everything different from home.
My stop for lunch, with a Swiss women I had met on the way, at 1,200 m above sea level, had taken nearly 5 hours with the only real exertion (for me) being shortly after leaving the Cathedral.
The section I found most difficult was the 1 km drop down from Rochegude towards Monistrol d'Allier, through trees and their routes and a very winding track. Mirrored by the final drop down from Saint-Chely-d'Aubrac, again through forest, towards Saint-Come-d'Olt

@Kristig , kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going) and I hope you both enjoy this trip as much as I did.

PS: I was 76 when doing this trip. At the bottom of the drop down to Saint-Come I encountered a pool and a thoughtfully placed bench. No sooner had I sat down than an elderly man hove into view. As we were introducing ourselves another elderly gent joined us. The chat soon turned finding out who was the oldest (they were both bigger than me). Unfortunately, I won. 😉

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back