• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to Santiago! Help Needed

Nuadha

From Shore to Shells
Time of past OR future Camino
Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

As you can undoubtedly tell from my crispy clean profile and history, I am new to the forum and to the Camino. First, a little backstory.

Le Drama

My family has run a jewelry store for the past 34 years and I have been raised in the business as soon as I could walk. But ever since I was little, I had always wanted to travel and see the world. And travel travel, not four/five star hoteling it as my sister preferred in the US. She would squick if her music wasn't playing in a car somewhere, where I would be thrilled to ride the back of a chicken bus sort of mentality. I buried myself in old National Geographics, browse the internet for sights around the world. It became an addiction I could never break, a dream I could only dream. So, I saved my pennies, because my parents certainly didn't pay me for the family business. In high school I thought I had my chance; there was a class trip to Italy. It would be a start, a small one, but what a great start, right? The entire class would go, but my parents would only let me if I paid for it myself. So paid I did: I took on extra work at nights busing tables at a local restaurant and scooping ice cream. $4000 for ten days. I paid the cost in full.

So when suspicious lumps that screamed lymphoma were discovered in my father's lungs, I stayed and covered him in the business while he went to the hospital. And for those eight days in class, I sat in an empty classroom. And of course people came back with stories and pictures, and so forth and I could just watch. End story: he didn't have Lymphoma, but instead was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. But okay, so this year was non-refundable, but there was always senior year to go, right?

Guess what happened Senior year? Last minute medical emergency with my father, Diabetes, and the money wasted again.

In college for accounting, which I paid for myself, he started downsizing the business in terms of employees, relying on his kids more and more. The idea of taking a summer trip anywhere, or even socializing on campus, was unthinkable because on every day off and after class my butt was in that store working. In the summer, I work 7 days a week from 7:30 in the morning to 11:00 PM or later, because thats when the money happens. Because if it wasn't? My father was by himself in a family business jewelry store and if it happened, it would be on my head.

I finally graduate, and I graduate debt free, so I think I'll take a GAP year. Backpack somewhere. Do something I want.

Nope. Family has BIG plans on expanding into watchmaking, so guess who gets guilted/bullied into signing away two years of his life into schooling for watchmaking with Rolex. My other siblings have their schooling, so of course its me. Benefits: the schooling is free, but extremely rigorous. Only 14 students accepted, only 7 passed at the end of those two years. I move to literally the middle of nowhere, farmville. I'm the youngest in the class by about a decade. I kill myself emotionally and physically just to make the cut, because the amount of skill and knowledge required for watchmaking at that calibre is pretty insane. The entire time, my parents keep going on and on about what they want to do with the lines theyre gonna get, and how the buisiness is gonna improve, and how I'll be able to write my own ticket, etc. etc. etc.

So I finish. I pass. I come back and all those dreams and promises? Once finding out the amount of equipment and initial purchases watchmaking ACTUALLY requires, they no longer want anything to do with it. But hey, I should get some sort of admiration or respect from my family, right? I've always done everything I was ever asked, always for the family, and I've actually achieved something!

I think you know the answer. I spend two years of my life doing something I absolutely hated, cutting myself off socially to achieve, because they wanted this, only to come back... and what feels like almost borderline abuse. The buisiness is smaller than ever, my father can only yell at me and my siblings because its not how HE wants it (side note: this isn't the first time. When I was 14, he invested in a $15,000 engraving machine and then expected me to learn how to do it as well as the engraver he worked with for 20 years. And when I wasn't able to do it as good after only a month of trying to figure it out, he would smash the glass I was engraving infront of me and tell me it was worthless, or what a disgrace it was. This continued for three years until he wrote off the entire thing as a loss), my mother is trying to balance a sick husband who won't even try to watch his weight or do anything to change his life, and my other sibling are all young and in school. I'm literally a master watchmaker, certified, and the man writes off anything I have to say about what we work on as worthless, and that he knows better because he's been doing it longer. Even though he butchers everything he works on. I can't do anything, because its his business, and technically, his home so he could kick me out at any moment. I feel... trapped.

We live on an incredible planet, and most people only see a fraction of one percent of it in their lives. There HAS to be something more to my life than the seven-to-nine rat race and endless bills. There has to be something more than this. I look at my other classmates, and see them in relationships, or married, or happy, or pursuing their dreams, or going on vacation. They have stories to tell. I've never even been on a family camping trip, let alone a vacation.

I'm 24, single, and the only person my age for ten miles. I live somebody else's dream. There has to be more than THIS. Otherwise, what's the point?

The Calling

We're a shore community so alot of what we sell is beach related. Shells, conchs, mermaids. That sort of thing. This august, a pair of elderly ladies came in, and initially, I thought it was the most strenuous sale of the year. Fake smile for three hours as they chirp over scallop charms that was less than $100 bucks, and pretend to be nice because oh my god they were wasting my time like nothing else. Just buy or don't buy the damn charm, its not like I'm not missing other sales as people walk out because I'm helping you. Oh wait, I AM.

My God, how am I so happy I stayed with those women. If I saw them now, I would run up and give them the biggest possible hug. As I wrote up their purchase, they smiled and apologized for taking so long. And explained why:

They were nuns. A pair of sisters, age 75 and 77. They had very little, and they weren't allowed to wear any sort of jewelry that wasn't religious. The scallop was an exception because they had just finished a pilgrimage, and the scallop was a sign of the pilgrimage. Something called the Camino de Santiago. They were getting the charm because they had just walked the Camino for the THIRD time.

I had no frame, no reference for what they were even talking about. They urged me to look it up. When they left, I went back to my life. The next day, and I was entering in the data for their receipt... it jogged my memory of them. So I googled it.

It become an obsession since then. I have never wanted anything so hard in my entire life. Something that I actually wanted. Something that was actually in reach... all I had to do was DO it. This journey haunts my every waking moment. I dream of the path through the Pyrenees, of the long road leading to that church. People say things happen for reason... I think it nothing short of divine intervention that those Nuns came to my store when they did.

The PLEA

I've watched this forum long enough to feel like I needed to take the next step. I've done alot of my own research, but honestly... so many question are left unanswered. About EVERYTHING. I've read so many stories and first hand experiences, but so much remain unknown. How do I start? What can I truly expect? How ready am I, and what do I need to do to get ready? Etc. etc. etc.

So this is my plea to you. Pilgrims young and old, experienced and novice. I want to join you on the road. I ask for nothing from you except your knowledge. This is my journey to take, and I expect nobody but me to make it happen.

I just need a path. I need answers. I need advice. I need you to work with me to make this happen. Its claimed that the Camino provides and you will find what you're searching for at the end of it. Give me this chance.

My hope is to start walking from Le Puy to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and then onto the French Way straight to Santiago. Any advice is appreciated.

Please... let me follow the shells with you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey, you're an excellent writer! The only thing you need now is confidence in yourself. I travelled from the other side of the world and walked the Camino Frances when I was 69. You're only 24. Like you, I tried to find all the answers before I left home. You can't, because the story will unfold as you live it. You say you've done your own research, so must know enough now about buying a pair of boots and a backpack. That's pretty much all you need. Just put them on, and walk out the door. At your age, you can do anything, the world is yours!

OK, first thing that comes to my mind - get the hell out of there! Really, learn to say NO and if they don't accept no for an answer - just go, run, far, far away. You deserve your own life, not living the lives of others and not having to fulfil their expectations. Yes, they are family - but that doesn't mean they are entitled to abuse you. Get the heck out of ...

Buen Camino, SY

PS Will send PM

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Nuadha
I agree with @SYates. Get out of that situation. I shared a house for awhile with a young woman who left the family home and the family business to live on her own and go to university. It was great to see her flourish, as she became her own person and made her own choices. You can do it. Don't worry about the details of the Camino. You will pick up any information you need as you read the forum and ask about whatever is unclear to you. Just find your wings and fly.

Seems as if Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt roams around your house.

I had a very contentious relationship with my hypercritical mother. I FINALLY broke free (emotionally) when I was in my 50s. Please don't wait that long.

I had flown from the US to a South American capital city and then another flight to the town where she lived. We had a row shortly after arrival and the following day she insulted me in public.

When we got home, I called my travel agent (remember them?) and booked the return flights for the next day.

She came to my room and said she didn't want me to leave. I left anyway. And you know what the result was?

She learned that I was no longer going to tolerate being pushed around. She knew she had to respect me—even if I'd get "she's so touchy, you can't say anything to her" comments. DAMN RIGHT, I would think.

You have been the dutiful son. You have a training. Get out and, if necessary, get a job elsewhere. Even if THEY don't respect you, I think that your self-respect (auto estima) will be the reward for your decision.

Sometimes we have to remove ourselves from toxic situations and toxic relationships. The Camino experience is a wonderful choice.

WOW - families DO make demands, but don't understand.
As @Kiwi-d says you don't need ALL the answers before you start. You will not even know what the questions are before you start. If you intend to do this mega Camino may I suggest you look up a book by an Australian pilgrim (I think it's called The/This Day was made for Walking). If get time I will do a household search and post the correct title. The author was in his 70's when he started.
The Camino from Le Puy will provide you with a fantastic opportunity to "know who you are". One thing I should mention - you have just become a member of one of the most "loving" families in the world. This forum will offer advice, provide support and encouragement and when the going gets tough we will "pick you up" and get you going again. Start planing for a departure in Spring 2017, but don't expect to walk the whole distance (I think its around 1500-1600 km - 1000 miles!) in one go, just take it one day at a time. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Nuadha, welcome :)
Each person is master of his-her own life and fate. Of course we would all be happy to greet a fellow pilgrim into the family! However, we have no say in "letting" you follow the shells on the Camino, like we have no power to give you a chance to do the Camino.
Also, like you said, you've got to make your own path... Although, you still seem to ask us to make it for you. Again, we can't, but you certainly can! :)
At this point, you've still got all the reseach (I mean, more!) and prep to do! It's all part of the journey: start at the beginning, take it step by step and the answers you need will come. :)
There could be so many advise to offer, we actually need your help to help you. But here's a good one to start with: know yourself and what you want. You've already started...

We can't let you come and follow the shells, only you can. We can't give you a chance, only you can. We can't do the research or make your path for you, only you can.

Will you???

It's hard to part form family, however bad it may be. But obviously, you've already started following shells ;) Respect yourself, hold on to your dreams and keep on going towards Santiago!

full

I think all I have to add to the great advise above is take the time & simply enjoy the freedom you discover everyday. At 24 this will give you more than a sense for traveling west.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome Nuadha!
I think the calling you are feeling is to live your own life. And the Camino is likely the trigger for the change to to a different path. As S.Yates said (I always listen to S.Yates), "get the hell out of there." The Camino will change your life and give you the time, space, and inspiration to contemplate your future.

I experienced the following conversation with a senior executive I work with as I was about to leave for France last April (very similar to the conversation in the film "The Way" between Martin Sheen's character Tom and the police captain in St. Jean Pied de Port):
"Do you know why you are walking the Camino?"
"I am doing it to honor my parents who named me James after Saint James."
"You walk the Camino for yourself, only for yourself."
"Then I do am not sure why I am walking the Camino."
"I think when you get to Santiago, you will know."

You are already on the way. Buen Camino!
--jim--

Step one: Decide to go.

Step two: Get documents. Passport, Visa (if needed), Credencial.

(Schengen treaty allows visitors from most western countries to stay in the Shcngen zone (which includes France and Spain) for 90 days out of every 180. 90 days, including travel days, might not be enough time to get from Le Puy to Santiago. Check with your state department or equivalent for visa requirements)

Step three: get tickets for transport to your start and from your endpoint. Le Puy is best reached by SNCF train from Lyon where there is an international airport. There is an airport in Santiago with flights to many major airports in Europe.

Step four: Put the stuff you think you will need into a backpack. Sleeping bag, toiletries, a change of clothes, raingear and warm gear.

Step five: Make arrangements for your things at home ... pay utility bills in advance ... arrange to have someone feed the cat ... arrange to take leave from your employment ... dispose of perishables.

Step six ... go. The first step is the hardest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow! What a story writer you are. Confidence in yourself will come, while walking the Camino. As they say "Just do it"
You will have an awesome time, meet amazing people and grow and change and become the wonderful person that you are.
The changes in me after my last Camino were so huge that, my daughter decided then and there that she wanted to have that kind of change in her life. She has organized to take a semester of uni and so now we are both going next year. Starting in the later part of Le Puy, and walking west along the Frances, until we reach the sea.
Buen Camino @Naudha, maybe we'll see you along the way

And, don't worry about being the "only one your age for miles." There will be many young people walking, paticularly on the the Frances, so you can hang out with them and have fun. Or if you get sick of that, you can hang out with us older folk and learn about real fun :)

@Nuadha, buy a backpack (under 50 litres) - second hand is fine. Inside it put a change of underwear, a spare pair of socks, one set of comfortable quick drying clothes, and a warm sweater. Put a comfortable set of walking clothes on yourself. If you have a rain jacket or something similar, take it but don't worry too much, you can buy a poncho in Le Puy (if that is your starting point). Put on some comfortable shoes.

Then take the hardest step. Walk out the front door and keep walking til you get to the bus stop or train station. Everything after that is easy.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sometimes life asks us to walk off the edge of the known into someplace else altogether.
Just do it.

A Mary Oliver poem for you, one that's probably resulted in more than one Camino....:

The Journey
One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice--
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do--
determined to save
the only life you could save.

Hi Nuadha,
I just re-read your initial post and all that have followed (including mine). While a bit older than you at 63, I had some similar feelings -- I wanted to learn everything before I started. I read 14 books by people who had walked the Camino; I read and re-read this Camino forum; I watched the films "The Way" and "Six Ways to Santiago" several times. I thought I knew something about the Camino. But you do not really know until you are there. So I'll give you the summary:

It is harder than I thought to walk 6 or 7 or more hours per day, day after day, sometimes in good weather, sometimes in the wind, sometimes in the rain. Harder both physically and emotionally.

But at the same time, it was far, far more uplifting than I could have possibly imagined. Walking through beautiful scenery, your connection is far deeper and more intimate than driving by or even riding by. And the scenery in southern France and northern Spain is indeed beautiful.

And then there is the camaraderie with people you meet and walk with. Sometimes you do not even share a language, but you share the suffering of the long walk and you share the beauty and its enveloping you.

And there are the people in the towns, at the hotels, albergues, churches, and cafes, they are truly supportive and helpful. Their commitment to and support of the pilgrims is genuine and deep in their culture. By helping us succeed, they are also part of our successful pilgrimage. I have to stress, their support is genuine and deep.

This past spring, I walked 880 km from St. Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre through sun, wind, rain, hot days and cold days, by myself and with others, sometimes talking, sometimes not. Every day was similar, every day was different, and every day, every single day was beautiful.

One final quote by Sir Edmund Hillary "You do not conquer the mountain, you conquer yourself."

Your Camino has started. There is very good advice right here. To quote @Kanga: "...take the hardest step. Walk out the front door and keep walking til you get to the bus stop or train station. Everything after that is easy."

Buen Camino!

--jim--

@Nuahja,
As you I am new in this forum, with no experience in "The Way" but planing for the near future.
My humble advise will be to listen all the new friends tips that are given part of their experience, so you can live your live & start getting ready from now . "Ulltreia". JÇ.

As you can undoubtedly tell from my crispy clean profile and history, I am new to the forum and to the Camino. First, a little backstory.

Le Drama

My family has run a jewelry store for the past 34 years and I have been raised in the business as soon as I could walk. But ever since I was little, I had always wanted to travel and see the world. And travel travel, not four/five star hoteling it as my sister preferred in the US. She would squick if her music wasn't playing in a car somewhere, where I would be thrilled to ride the back of a chicken bus sort of mentality. I buried myself in old National Geographics, browse the internet for sights around the world. It became an addiction I could never break, a dream I could only dream. So, I saved my pennies, because my parents certainly didn't pay me for the family business. In high school I thought I had my chance; there was a class trip to Italy. It would be a start, a small one, but what a great start, right? The entire class would go, but my parents would only let me if I paid for it myself. So paid I did: I took on extra work at nights busing tables at a local restaurant and scooping ice cream. $4000 for ten days. I paid the cost in full.

So when suspicious lumps that screamed lymphoma were discovered in my father's lungs, I stayed and covered him in the business while he went to the hospital. And for those eight days in class, I sat in an empty classroom. And of course people came back with stories and pictures, and so forth and I could just watch. End story: he didn't have Lymphoma, but instead was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. But okay, so this year was non-refundable, but there was always senior year to go, right?

Guess what happened Senior year? Last minute medical emergency with my father, Diabetes, and the money wasted again.

In college for accounting, which I paid for myself, he started downsizing the business in terms of employees, relying on his kids more and more. The idea of taking a summer trip anywhere, or even socializing on campus, was unthinkable because on every day off and after class my butt was in that store working. In the summer, I work 7 days a week from 7:30 in the morning to 11:00 PM or later, because thats when the money happens. Because if it wasn't? My father was by himself in a family business jewelry store and if it happened, it would be on my head.

I finally graduate, and I graduate debt free, so I think I'll take a GAP year. Backpack somewhere. Do something I want.

Nope. Family has BIG plans on expanding into watchmaking, so guess who gets guilted/bullied into signing away two years of his life into schooling for watchmaking with Rolex. My other siblings have their schooling, so of course its me. Benefits: the schooling is free, but extremely rigorous. Only 14 students accepted, only 7 passed at the end of those two years. I move to literally the middle of nowhere, farmville. I'm the youngest in the class by about a decade. I kill myself emotionally and physically just to make the cut, because the amount of skill and knowledge required for watchmaking at that calibre is pretty insane. The entire time, my parents keep going on and on about what they want to do with the lines theyre gonna get, and how the buisiness is gonna improve, and how I'll be able to write my own ticket, etc. etc. etc.

So I finish. I pass. I come back and all those dreams and promises? Once finding out the amount of equipment and initial purchases watchmaking ACTUALLY requires, they no longer want anything to do with it. But hey, I should get some sort of admiration or respect from my family, right? I've always done everything I was ever asked, always for the family, and I've actually achieved something!

I think you know the answer. I spend two years of my life doing something I absolutely hated, cutting myself off socially to achieve, because they wanted this, only to come back... and what feels like almost borderline abuse. The buisiness is smaller than ever, my father can only yell at me and my siblings because its not how HE wants it (side note: this isn't the first time. When I was 14, he invested in a $15,000 engraving machine and then expected me to learn how to do it as well as the engraver he worked with for 20 years. And when I wasn't able to do it as good after only a month of trying to figure it out, he would smash the glass I was engraving infront of me and tell me it was worthless, or what a disgrace it was. This continued for three years until he wrote off the entire thing as a loss), my mother is trying to balance a sick husband who won't even try to watch his weight or do anything to change his life, and my other sibling are all young and in school. I'm literally a master watchmaker, certified, and the man writes off anything I have to say about what we work on as worthless, and that he knows better because he's been doing it longer. Even though he butchers everything he works on. I can't do anything, because its his business, and technically, his home so he could kick me out at any moment. I feel... trapped.

We live on an incredible planet, and most people only see a fraction of one percent of it in their lives. There HAS to be something more to my life than the seven-to-nine rat race and endless bills. There has to be something more than this. I look at my other classmates, and see them in relationships, or married, or happy, or pursuing their dreams, or going on vacation. They have stories to tell. I've never even been on a family camping trip, let alone a vacation.

I'm 24, single, and the only person my age for ten miles. I live somebody else's dream. There has to be more than THIS. Otherwise, what's the point?

The Calling

We're a shore community so alot of what we sell is beach related. Shells, conchs, mermaids. That sort of thing. This august, a pair of elderly ladies came in, and initially, I thought it was the most strenuous sale of the year. Fake smile for three hours as they chirp over scallop charms that was less than $100 bucks, and pretend to be nice because oh my god they were wasting my time like nothing else. Just buy or don't buy the damn charm, its not like I'm not missing other sales as people walk out because I'm helping you. Oh wait, I AM.

My God, how am I so happy I stayed with those women. If I saw them now, I would run up and give them the biggest possible hug. As I wrote up their purchase, they smiled and apologized for taking so long. And explained why:

They were nuns. A pair of sisters, age 75 and 77. They had very little, and they weren't allowed to wear any sort of jewelry that wasn't religious. The scallop was an exception because they had just finished a pilgrimage, and the scallop was a sign of the pilgrimage. Something called the Camino de Santiago. They were getting the charm because they had just walked the Camino for the THIRD time.

I had no frame, no reference for what they were even talking about. They urged me to look it up. When they left, I went back to my life. The next day, and I was entering in the data for their receipt... it jogged my memory of them. So I googled it.

It become an obsession since then. I have never wanted anything so hard in my entire life. Something that I actually wanted. Something that was actually in reach... all I had to do was DO it. This journey haunts my every waking moment. I dream of the path through the Pyrenees, of the long road leading to that church. People say things happen for reason... I think it nothing short of divine intervention that those Nuns came to my store when they did.

The PLEA

I've watched this forum long enough to feel like I needed to take the next step. I've done alot of my own research, but honestly... so many question are left unanswered. About EVERYTHING. I've read so many stories and first hand experiences, but so much remain unknown. How do I start? What can I truly expect? How ready am I, and what do I need to do to get ready? Etc. etc. etc.

So this is my plea to you. Pilgrims young and old, experienced and novice. I want to join you on the road. I ask for nothing from you except your knowledge. This is my journey to take, and I expect nobody but me to make it happen.

I just need a path. I need answers. I need advice. I need you to work with me to make this happen. Its claimed that the Camino provides and you will find what you're searching for at the end of it. Give me this chance.

My hope is to start walking from Le Puy to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and then onto the French Way straight to Santiago. Any advice is appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow.

That's all I can say. I was expecting one reply, or two, or maybe even a mod telling me I posted in the wrong forum and to bugger off. But never did I expect this.

Thank you, thank you one and all for showing some form of support or care. Never did I even dream that la familia de camino was this.

Hey, you're an excellent writer! The only thing you need now...

OK, first thing that comes to my mind...

@Nuadha
I agree with @SYates. Get out of that situation. I shared a house for awhile...

Seems as if Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt roams around your house.

Thank you all for your concern and advice. And while it truly is a valid, and often fantasized, option... I do love my family. My younger brothers, my mother (little love for my younger sister. Anyone want a vapid and cruel 22 year old?)... to cut myself away from one member is to cut myself from all of them. And for as many bad moments, there's a few good ones in there. So I genuinely don't know. To 'run away' is to lose the only home I have ever truly known. Plans are in motion for a gradual break away, but... am I trying to have my cake and eat it too here?

WOW - families DO make demands, but don't understand.
As @Kiwi-d says you don't need ALL the answers before you start. You will not even know what...

That's the part I'm concerned about. What if I miss something or go into this without a full picture of what I'm signing up for? Le Puy to Santiago, I've estimated to take about 8-10 weeks maximum. But as you say, its around 1000. When I actually consider the implications, I realize I cannot even trully fathom that distance, let alone walking it. If I go on this, time shouldn't be an issue: no student or mortgage debt. But is that even physically feasible to accomplish?

Hi Nuadha, welcome :). Each person is master of his-her own life and fate...

A few months, I was browsing this forum invisibly as a guest. A month ago, I started walking a few miles, each day, and have only grown my distance and time. Now I'm in the belly of the beast... I want, no, need to do this. That's why I need to RL advice: this is happening no matter what.

Hola @Nuadha. I found the book I referred to and its available via Amazon - hardcopy (paperback) and via Kindle. Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I07LJEQ/?tag=casaivar02-20

Enjoy.
Step one: Decide to go.

Step two: Get documents. Passport, Visa (if needed), Credencial.

(Schengen treaty allows visitors from most western countries to stay in the Shcngen zone (which includes France and Spain) for 90 days out of every 180. 90 days, including travel days, might not be enough time to get from Le Puy to Santiago. Check with your state department or equivalent for visa requirements)

Step three: get tickets for transport to your start and from your endpoint. Le Puy is best reached by SNCF train from Lyon where there is an international airport. There is an airport in Santiago with flights to many major airports in Europe.

Step four: Put the stuff you think you will need into a backpack. Sleeping bag, toiletries, a change of clothes, raingear and warm gear.

Step five: Make arrangements for your things at home ... pay utility bills in advance ... arrange to have someone feed the cat ... arrange to take leave from your employment ... dispose of perishables.

Step six ... go. The first step is the hardest.
Hi Nuadha,
I just re-read your initial post and all that have followed (including mine). While a bit older than you at 63, I had some similar feelings -- I wanted to learn everything before I started. I read 14 books by people who had walked the Camino; I read and re-read this Camino forum; I watched the films "The Way" and "Six Ways to Santiago" several times. I thought I knew something about the Camino. But you do not really know until you are there. So I'll give you the summary:

It is harder than I thought to walk 6 or 7 or more hours per day, day after day, sometimes in good weather, sometimes in the wind, sometimes in the rain. Harder both physically and emotionally.

But at the same time, it was far, far more uplifting than I could have possibly imagined. Walking through beautiful scenery, your connection is far deeper and more intimate than driving by or even riding by. And the scenery in southern France and northern Spain is indeed beautiful.

And then there is the camaraderie with people you meet and walk with. Sometimes you do not even share a language, but you share the suffering of the long walk and you share the beauty and its enveloping you.

And there are the people in the towns, at the hotels, albergues, churches, and cafes, they are truly supportive and helpful. Their commitment to and support of the pilgrims is genuine and deep in their culture. By helping us succeed, they are also part of our successful pilgrimage. I have to stress, their support is genuine and deep.

This past spring, I walked 880 km from St. Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre through sun, wind, rain, hot days and cold days, by myself and with others, sometimes talking, sometimes not. Every day was similar, every day was different, and every day, every single day was beautiful.

One final quote by Sir Edmund Hillary "You do not conquer the mountain, you conquer yourself."

Your Camino has started. There is very good advice right here. To quote @Kanga: "...take the hardest step. Walk out the front door and keep walking til you get to the bus stop or train station. Everything after that is easy."

Buen Camino!

--jim--

THIS. This is the sort of thing that I need and desire! The how to get there, the best/safest/scenic routes, travel and gear advice. The sort of information you are telling me right now in INVALUABLE to me. Every man's camino is his own, but ultimately I do need some sort of a plan of attack... even if its merely knowing which train takes me to Le Puy, and which road to follow. All I ask is for your experience; I'll do all the walking. :)

I think all I have to add to the great advise above is take the time & simply enjoy the freedom you discover everyday. At 24 this will give you more than a sense for traveling west.

You've already set out on your camino. It's going to change your life profoundly. All you need to do is step out into it.
Don't look back.
Those nuns gave you a sign, follow it. Now is the time.
Sometimes life asks us to walk off the edge of the known into someplace else altogether.
Just do it.

A Mary Oliver poem for you, one that's probably resulted in more than one Camino....:
@Nuahja,
As you I am new in this forum, with no experience in "The Way" but planing for the near future.
My humble advise will be to listen all the new friends tips that are given part of their experience, so you can live your live & start getting ready from now . "Ulltreia". JÇ.

Each and every one of you, God bless you for your support. Thank you for believing in me and urging me onto what I hope to be an amazing adventure.

So so so sorry If I left anyone out!

You will not run away - you will run towards something new ;-) And may I add you have another skill - using html - rarely, VERY rarely I have seen somebody to use the quote function as skilled as you did in this or another forum ...
Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, FLEUR, you beat me to it!!

There are signs everywhere. The two nuns and the scallop shells were HUGE signs.

You could take the religious version and say that God sent you two angels to point you toward The Way you need to take to find yourself and your purpose.

(Reminds me of the story of the fisherman whose boat sprung a leak. He started praying "Dear God, I have always been your faithful servant. Please save me."

A short while later a boat goes by and the skipper hollers: "Need any help?"
"No thanks. God will save me."

Water keeps coming in and the fisherman is sloshing around. A while later, a helicopter flies over. The pilot uses a megaphone and says, "want me to winch you up?"
"No thanks. God will save me."

Time goes by and the boat is really starting to sink. The fisherman prays out loud and shouts: "I've prayed to you, God. Why have you forsaken me?"

And this voice replies: "ME?!! I sent you a boat. I sent you a helicopter...")

Nuadha,

welcome to the forum. Others have given very good advice already. You have been called, now it's your decision what to do with that, and your decision only.

Some practical advice on a small thing,
If you're worried that your family might try to talk you out of it before you even started, keeping your plans to yourself until a certain point could be a good idea. Get your visa, book your flights, fill your backpack with the few things you need, go for long walks to get some training, read a guide book (or a few more), browse youtube for camino videos, read the forum... enjoy the fun of planning without someone else spoiling it.

I usually wouldn't give the advice to plan so much, but if you're not experienced in this kind of thing, insecure whether you can do it or not, and do not exactly have support of people around you for your plans, the more you've researched and trained, the more you'll realise that you can do it. And it will be much easier to tell your family then, also. They might still try to stop you, but at that point, you should be confident enough in your decision to stand your ground. You have done the research. You know you really want to walk, you know you can do it, and you know you will do it, and nobody else than you can stop you. And then you'll smile and take your very first step.

Of course this is just an idea. In the end, you alone know what to do, and when, and how. I'm sure you'll find your way.

Buen Camino!

Nuadha (care to share the meaning of this name?)

I looked at the book and reviews of the 77 year old (I'm 70 and planning my first long walk ever (CI) next year) and definitely want to read it. Did anybody else notice that the publishing company is called Sid Harta?

Siddartha is another name for Buddha. And i think that could be another sign. I ordered the book of that name because someone said it was one of his favorite books. (Haven't read it yet!)

OP might find some inspiration in the zen aspect of Buddhism. Also, Paul Coelho's The Alchemist. I haven't read his Camino one.

With your additional information about not wanting to sever ties with your family, you might want to wait until bag is packed and tickets are bought before announcing that this is something you need to do for you. Don't give them time to convince you. I know of instances when friends' family members developed major health situations. I'm not a health or psychology professional, but I read a lot and know that the mind and subconscious can trigger responses to bad news ("I want a divorce." "I'm going on a trip alone.) in a subliminal attempt to influence the other person's behavior or action.

What I'm saying is that you might need to be prepared (and determined to proceed) for something like this to happen. Guilt trip.

Mmmm. Might be better to leave first and send them a postcard!!

Have you watched any of the Camino videos on YouTube?

I had to google Le Puy. http://walkinginfrance.info/pilgrimages/the-way-of-st-james/

Seems as if time and weather might be working against you for this year. You've already been advised to set off in the Spring. Can you hang in that long?

Your profile doesn't say where you live but "bugger off" is a British expression. If you have EU passport (for however long) perhaps you could go to "the south of France" or southern Spain or Portugal or anywhere where you can use your Rolex-fixing and other skills to work and plan for the trip and be away from your current situation.

Seems as if now is the time to go Walkabout.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Le Drama

The Calling

The PLEA

When I got married at age 21, we just upped and left Australia and didn't come back for three years. Spent that time travelling all over the world, into places poor and rich, difficult and easy, living on the smell of an oily rag, and experiencing more than we could ever have imagined. Best idea I ever had. It gave us the space to work out who we wanted to be. It's never too late to strike out, and the camino is a great way to start that journey - a million steps into your new future, and a thousand friends to make along the way who will encourage you, stretch you and open your horizons wide. Good luck.

I met a middle-aged Frenchwoman a few days after leaving Pamplona. She had already walked from Le Puy and planned to continue on to Finisterre. She annoyed the hell out of me, as she'd already walked over 800km, and looked as immaculate as if she'd just stepped off the runway. I'd walked for only a couple of days, and already looked like my mother had never loved me. So in answer to your question 'Is it even physically feasible?' the answer is yes....

I think I met that immaculate French lady as well. Hair beautifully coiffed , she walked with the greatest of ease and carried her big rucksack. Lovely lady by the way but sometimes one does feel a little inadequate along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I also chatted to a Frenchman last year walking his second Camino Frances. Apparently he hadn't trained for either walk but just packed his bag the night before and told his wife and family he was leaving next day and walking to Santiago. He was early retirement age.

You seem to have hit a nerve, @Nuadha! Thank you for the lovely thread.
Our stories are legion, but the experience of being drawn to this path and growing through the walking of it are universal and part of what it is to be a peregrino. Which you are already, by the way.
Welcome to our midst and buen camino, peregrino!

@Nuadha! - don't let the fear of not finishing worry you. This Camino has been here for over a 1000 years and if it takes you two or three years to reach Santiago or the Atlantic Ocean, then that is how long it will take. Please excuse the cliche - but the shortest/longest journey starts with a first step. As Rebekah said earlier - your Camino has already started.

If you feel a bit daunted, confused, don't worry - send one of us a PM (just click on our camino names and select "start a conversation" will lead to a PM) and whoever you pick will help. Those who have walked a number of the Caminos are the best choices. Oh BTW - since we are now going into the Nth Hemisphere Winter you have around 4 / 5 months to plan - so its not necessary to spend all day (everyday) on the forum. Just come back when you have a question. Chin up, chest out, smile on your face, off you go. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Jeez, all of this attention... no pressure to fulfill, right?

Oh, FLEUR, you beat me to it!!

There are signs everywhere. The two nuns and the scallop shells were HUGE signs.

We have a similar story where Im from, except the Fisherman drowns, goes to Heaven, and God slaps him upside the head for not taking the hint. XD

Nuadha,

welcome to the forum. Others have given very good advice already. You have been called, now it's your decision what to do with that, and your decision only....

Genuine question: does going on this trip generally make its walkers fantastic life advisers? Because the responses, and the quality of support is almost overwhelming. Thank you.

When I got married at age 21, we just upped and left Australia and didn't come back for three years. Spent that time travelling all over the world, into places poor and rich, difficult and easy, living on the smell of an oily rag....

See, its stories like this which make me step back and wonder what the hell I'm doing with my life.

Forgive me for bothering you further; I noticed you did Le Puy to St. Jean... would you mind if I beat your ear off with some questions regarding that route?

I met a middle-aged Frenchwoman a few days after leaving Pamplona. She had already walked from Le Puy and planned to continue on to Finisterre.

Hah, now that sounds like an adventure... I might have to tag on those extra Km to my route as well and... oh... oh god...

Im gonna have to learn the metric system, aren't I?

@Nuadha! - don't let the fear of not finishing worry you. This Camino has been here for over a 1000 years and if it takes you two or three years to reach Santiago or the Atlantic Ocean, then that is how long it will take.

If you don't mind, would you be on of those people? I have a whole list of questions, almost about every step in this process, and I'd like to pick the brains of Vets as much as possible.

Nuadha (care to share the meaning of this name?)

I looked at the book and reviews of the 77 year old (I'm 70 and planning my first long walk ever (CI) next year) and definitely want to read it. Did anybody else notice that the publishing company is called Sid Harta?

So, this is going to sound stupid... but when exactly IS Spring in Spain?

Hold on! I swear I have more than two braincells! To answer your question, I'm from the US. But the way my town works, our seasons aren't exactly in tune with the calender. "Winter" is Beginning December through early March. Spring is March to May. Summer is End of may to End of August. I'm hope to set out in late March/Early April. My family needs to extra help in the summer time because thats when all the tourists come down. What can I expect?

To answer your earlier question... this is a bit of vanity on my part.

SO, this is just a username that I used for a game when I was younger, and eventually became my username for everything. The name actually comes from Irish Lore, often with the epithet Airgetlan meaning "silver arm", was the first king of the Tuatha De Dannan, the Gods of Ireland. So yeah, vanity. XD

As always, SO SORRY if I missed anyone!

I wish I had known about the Camino when I was 24 years old, I also ended up in the family business and now at 61 I am still there. I did travel, but never more than a few weeks at a time. I did the Camino Frances in 2014, it was the best thing I ever did! Run to the nearest Travel Agency and get some tickets. April is a nice time of years to start your Camino and be on that plane by early Spring. Get yourself a 10 year Passport and with your skills you can find a job anywhere in Europe. Explore Europe for a few years after your Camino. When I retire if not sooner, Le Puy to Finistere is something I must do also. Now is the time get your life back!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jeez, all of this attention... no pressure to fulfill, right?
If you don't mind, would you be on of those people? I have a whole list of questions, almost about every step in this process, and I'd like to pick the brains of Vets as much as possible. As always, SO SORRY if I missed anyone!
Hola Nuadha - I have sent you a PM - you will get an email advice via Ivar advising of this message. All you need to do is log-in and near the top of page (right hand side) you will a 1 in your inbox. Cheers

What will happen if you don't?

Peace and love!

Le Drama

The Calling

The PLEA

Hi Nuadha
I just noticed you asked if you can ask about the Le Puy route - fire away, happy to answer anything.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back