• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leave only footprints

MelissaBCanada

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2023
Hello All,
I am on day 17 of my pilgrimage from SJPDP to Santiago. It's my first camino and I am enjoying every minute of it. I'm finding fellow peregrinos to be kind, thoughtful, caring people. However, there's evidence of pilgrims leaving orange peels (which take years to decompose), soiled tissue, sanitary products and yes, human feces, behind. Honestly there is no excuse for this behaviour. Pack your garbage and take it with you to dispose of in the next town. On the Meseta today, I sat down on a rock to drink water and was saddened to see what was left behind. I've seen this in other places as well, usually during longer stretches between towns.
Being a pilgrim on the camino is a privilege. Our Spanish hosts go to great length to support us. Please respect the trail and leave no trace.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm with you, it drives me mad to see garbage on the trail (or anywhere it's not supposed to be). I frequently ate bananas on Camino and once asked someone I was walking with if he could tuck the peel in the side pocket of my pack as it was awkward to try to get it in, he flung it into the bushes instead and I spent 5 minutes in the blackberry bushes until I found it. He thought I was insane because "iT's oRganIc!"

I do understand that sometimes the wind grabs things while trying to unwrap something or put it away. but people should at least try to collect what they accidentally drop and never purposefully pitch things.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This has been debated in length in here for many years.

God created us in His/Her image, it is said, but He/She is obviously not perfect, either, so some people turn out not too good. It is a shame. But you cannot teach an old dog to s(h)it.

Take only memories. Leave only footprints.

Edit: You can bring a plastic bag, pick up some rubbish, and leave it in a trash bin in the next village. It helps.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I am on day 17 of my pilgrimage from SJPDP to Santiago. It's my first camino and I am enjoying every minute of it. I'm finding fellow peregrinos to be kind, thoughtful, caring people. However, there's evidence of pilgrims leaving orange peels (which take years to decompose), soiled tissue, sanitary products and yes, human feces, behind. Honestly there is no excuse for this behaviour. Pack your garbage and take it with you to dispose of in the next town. On the Meseta today, I sat down on a rock to drink water and was saddened to see what was left behind. I've seen this in other places as well, usually during longer stretches between towns.
Being a pilgrim on the camino is a privilege. Our Spanish hosts go to great length to support us. Please respect the trail and leave no trace.
I am completely aligned with your overall sentiments of "leave no trace". But I can't absolutely agree with "leave only footprints" in the thread title, especially for those staying at donativos. Also leaving a donation is appreciated. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, put your garbage in the bins. Good for the community, for the environment and can be quite beneficial for yourself. You can see this poster on the garbage bins in central Copenhagen. In English the text reads:

Official Wishing Well.
Your own garbage..............1 wish
Some one else's.................. 3 wishes

Garbage2.jpg

Hello All,
Thank you Melissa for raising this issue. As an over 70, I have been appalled by the "white flowers" aka toilet paper, festooning pristine spring growth on del Norte. As pilgrims, we are guests in this country and should have the decency to respect not only people and place, but also the environment. No doubt some women carry paper in plastic - please, take another plastic bag with you for your used paper. And if you are really caught out on the track, it doesn't take much time to find a rock, grass or leaves to cover the evidence. If the idea of cleaning up your own mess is uncomfortable for you, imagine how disgusting it is for those who discover your leftovers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walking behind a Spanish pilgrim a few days ago. She blew her nose & dropped the tissue in the path. I was close enough to see it but not sure what to say in Spanish?

If more women weren’t so squeamish about using a pee rag, (washing it each day) this would solve a lot of the problems.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I use both the Forum and dedicated Facebook groups.
I do too, but I think this forum has more of an informational mission in regards to the Camino, whereas FB is more of a talk board about general travel issues occurring around the Camino. There is more depth here.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Pharisees leave no trace and always give the donativo. But the Camino is for the Publicans. It's a big country and it can deal with the residue of human traffic, no bother. Judge not. Cherish your fellow pilgrims, those who are messy and imperfect most of all.

Hello All,
Pack it in, pack it out. Simple really.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello All,
Absolutely agree with you. I walked my first Camino - Frances over August - October 2022. Stunned, saddened and disappointed to see much rubbish of all kinds along the sacred way. I believe it's a privilege to walk this special Pilgrimage that should be respected.

There was so much toilet paper/tissues (and worse) that we just called them the "Flowers of the Camino".

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back