• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Locals Only

Just a thought, what I do when I enter a cafe is clear all the plates and cups for the staff ( these places sometimes have only one person serving) when I have finished clearing I then order .I have the time and it makes their life easier for them . I do it because I am lucky enough to be able to do Caminos . Got offered a job once LOL .
me too. was a waiter for many years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
so far Madrid un poco mas amable que el camino IMO. Maybe it’s a countryside/culture thing. Galicia more reserved? which is beautiful too.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Santa Catalina I experienced the locals only treatment. I stopped at the first albergue on the right after entering the town. It seemed like a nice place to stay. After getting a bed and taking a shower, I went back to get a beer and somethign to eat. The bartender puttered around for a good while before finally coming to take my order. He seemed a bit off. That evening after dinner, I asked if they were going to show the Champions League final from Madrid. I was told, "Absolutely not." I went a short ways to the bar in the albergue on the other side of the street. They had the game on. As I started to open the door, the people inside blocked it and yelled, "No pereginos!" It seemed odd that they were not allowing pilgrims in at an albergue. I know that the Spanish teams were eliminated and it two English teams playing, but it seemd odd to take it out on the pilgrims. I assumed they were overwhelmed and inconvenienced by the pilgrims as the little store there had more empty space than products on the shelve. At any rate, if I walk the Frances again, I will keep going when I hit Santa Catalina. The next day I stopped in El Ganso for breakfast and it seemed a friendlier place.

@Luka

”I would rather say there is a difference between the north and the south”

The south of many countries seems to be more laidback than the north .. eg France, Italy … perhaps it’s a European thing 🤔

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So far, based on 4 CF's, I can say I haven't experienced any local rudeness. Indifference perhaps. But I get that. I've lived in a few very popular resort towns, and although I've never been rude myself to a tourist, I don't think I have ever gone out of my way to welcome one. I have come across a few grumpy locals in Spain. One of my favorite cultural aspects in Spain is that when you say "Buenos Dias" to someone, they cannot/will not ignore you. It's in their DNA. They may respond/reciprocate with a mumbled "Buenos Dias", but that cultural imperative is nevertheless satisfied.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buenas Dias, Buena Dia: meandering the backroads back in the day I would offer that salutation and usually would receive a “Buenas” with that backward flick of the head, sometimes just a slight lifting of the chin, that meant I’d been acknowledged.

“Buena Dia; Buenas Tardes” , in any encounter with a stranger in Spain your use of one of those will qualify the rest of your experience

Buenas Dias, Buena Dia: meandering the backroads back in the day I would offer that salutation and usually would receive a “Buenas” with that backward flick of the head, sometimes just a slight lifting of the chin, that meant I’d been acknowledged.

“Buena Dia; Buenas Tardes” , in any encounter with a stranger in Spain your use of one of those will qualify the rest of your experience
Huh, I like to just say "buenas" or "buenos".

Now figuring out which one to say is sometimes difficult...

But I have this expression that I use that kinda helps me out. (It's just in my head, and not neccesarily PC, grounded in my ignorant understanding of past Spanish culture.)

"The day is for men. The night is for women."

Hence, buenos during the day, and buenas at night. But I'm an idiot.

Yes, but even so..
It isn't so important if you get the phrase or the gender wrong, you will be forgiven. The point is to start any interaction/transaction with a greeting. It is the norm.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I made one of those serious tactical errors that we all make once or twice in our lives. Approaching Jimena de la Frontera fairly late on a long hot day ( sometime in 1969/70) I met a Guardia Civil patrol running a road-block. I tried a “Buenas” and kept on walking. Not for far. Once I’d been bounced around a bit, very thoroughly searched I was told to keep walking, as in keep walking till I was out of their patch. Turned out no Spanish peasant would have said “have a nice day” to the Guardia Civil. I’d flagged myself as a foreigner, a suspect, possibly even a subversive merely by trying to be polite 😉

Edited to add a time frame

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

But I have this expression that I use that kinda helps me out. (It's just in my head, and not neccesarily PC, grounded in my ignorant understanding of past Spanish culture.)

"The day is for men. The night is for women."

During the day is "buenos dias" and " buenas tardes". I think that everybody says always " buenas". If you say " buenos" could be confusing.

Ok, I once asked a local about this... about when to switch from buenos to buenas. She said, "did you eat lunch yet?"
I took a Spanish class in Barcelona, and our teacher told us that it's buenos días before lunch (or around 2pm), then buenas tardes until dinner.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
everybody says always "buenas"
@Pelegrin, I didn't know that. Thank you!

So buenos is not used as an informal greeting, only buenas; or obviously buenos días / buenas tardes / buenas noches! Why don't they teach us this in all these language courses? It was only when we were in Spain that we noticed that people simply said Buenas! when entering a shop or bar.

You are of course absolutely correct, even the RAE knows this ;): Y para cualquier hora existe, además, la expresión abreviada buenas, que solo se emplea en algunas zonas ―en España, en el área rioplatense y en parte de las áreas andina y centroamericana― y siempre en registros coloquiales.

I had to look up "rioplatense". :cool:

Last edited:
@Pelegrin, I didn't know that. Thank you!

So buenos is not used as an informal greeting, only buenas; or obviously buenos días / buenas trades / buenas noches! Why don't they teach us this in all these language courses? It was only when we were in Spain that we noticed that people simply said Buenas! when entering a shop or bar.

You are of course absolutely correct, even the RAE knows this ;): Y para cualquier hora existe, además, la expresión abreviada buenas, que solo se emplea en algunas zonas ―en España, en el área rioplatense y en parte de las áreas andina y centroamericana― y siempre en registros coloquiales.

I had to look up "rioplatense". :cool:
wait. I can't just say "buenos?" at the appropriate time of day of course. I swear I've been greeted with that expression like 1000 times.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, you can say " buenos" and can be ok but some people could ask "buenos que ?". If you say always "buenas" then no problem.
Thanks for this clarification. I had noticed that "buenas" seemed more common and was puzzled.

Now I'm confused. Even in the morning, right? I won't even try to ask for a explanation.
I think we need to accept this as just the way the expressions have evolved.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Now I'm confused. Even in the morning, right? I won't even try to ask for a explanation.
I link this to the title if not the meanderings of the thread. My local, my usual, my normaL. The normal greeting in my local setting is more likely to be: Miserable day, isn't it? 😆.
In another part of this country I learned that passing someone and being asked the question: How are you? was not an invitation to stop and actually give an answer. It was the equivalent of muy buenas...and keep on walking.
i do want to thank the OP for reminding me to try to pay attention, observe, and not jump to conclusions. No matter where I am.
I can never get enough of those reminders!

I made one of those serious tactical errors that we all make once or twice in our lives. Approaching Jimena de la Frontera fairly late on a long hot day I met a Guardia Civil patrol running a road-block. I tried a “Buenas” and kept on walking. Not for far. Once I’d been bounced around a bit, very thoroughly searched I was told to keep walking, as in keep walking till I was out of their patch. Turned out no Spanish peasant would have said “have a nice day” to the Guardia Civil. I’d flagged myself as a foreigner, a suspect, possibly even a subversive merely by trying to be polite 😉
For those thinking that this might be a warning to worry about, I think the same is very unlikely to happen to a pilgrim wishing the Guardia Civil a pleasant "Buenas!" on a Camino route nowadays. Times have changed and so have the priorities of the Guardia.

Edited to add: After reading the previous post (#126), perhaps it is better to say the full "buenos dias", or if you are still walking after la comida, "buenas tardes" rather than the more informal abbreviated version.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
we had a great time on the Camino Frances. We met some lovely people. But I was surprised at how many locals we met either completely ignored us or were outright rude despite the fact that I speak good Spanish and we were very polite. Does anyone else experience this on the Camino? A few others I’ve met here in Santiago said the same. Could it have something to do with the fact that half a million people pass by their front doors every year? Lol. Or maybe it’s the holidays and they expect to be left alone this time of year. Maybe my expectations were too high. but I was a little surprised and disappointed by that.
We didn’t experience any rudeness in Oct/Nov 23. We learnt to be patient & just relax if it took a while to be served or to pay & trust we would get there eventually.
Saw many tired staff ( especially in those bottleneck cafes) that were rushed off their feet with demands left right & centre. One thing we noticed some others do in cafes & adopted as well was to put our rubbish in bin & return cups/ plates, recycling etc etc to the ‘used’ area on the counter. The amount of times we got a grateful smile or nod was at least showing we eased someone’s frantic day a teeny bit. We had learnt basic Spanish words but tried to use in our terrible accents to ask a few questions about them or the town when the time was quieter & had some nice exchanges. The kindness of some locals stay with me as Camino highlights. One lady brought me to tears of relief at her immense kindness & practicality with her motherly care when I arrived exhausted & depleted from the onslaught of stormy winds & rain up O Cebreiro & into Fonfria . I hope those who support the Camino route had a good break & Christmas to decompress.
Remembering we feel special & the experience of a lifetime, while for them it is repeat repeat repeat- same thing over & over - just new people is helpful to keep in mind.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I made one of those serious tactical errors that we all make once or twice in our lives.
For those thinking that this might be a warning to worry about,
@Tincatinker has neglected to clarify the time frame. His life has likely spanned several generations of Spanish history, and I suspect that this particular tactical error was made in times long past. So, I agree with @David Tallan that this "warning" is not something to worry about.

@Tincatinker has neglected to clarify the time frame. He life has likely spanned several generations of Spanish history, and I suspect that this particular tactical error was made in times long past. So, I agree with @David Tallan that this "warning" is not something to worry about.
I’ll accept the admonition. I should have put a date in that post. An autumn day in 1969 or perhaps 1970. More recent interactions with the Guardia have been much more amicable

Walking the lesser known Caminos, I have often encountered effusively happy greetings from some locals - probably because they don't see so many pilgrims. I smile and thank them.

On Caminos that see a lot of people, or cities with a lot of tourists, I don't expect anyone to wish me a good Camino, but smile and nod at people when it seems appropriate. If they speak first, I am very polite, but generally don't expect them to take much notice of a passing stranger.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I live in a part of town with 18,000 residents and which gets 4 million tourists per year. I can talk all day about living in a place dominated by visitors.

I'll be nice ... most of the time. I'll stop and help you if you're lost. I'll help you with your change if you're at the cash register staring blankly at the bills in your purse. I'll help you find the right bus. And so on. And I'll be perfectly happy doing this.

But there are days when I'm tired from work and I'm irritated at the people blocking the aisles of the grocery store taking selfies. Or at loud groups taking over a small local bar that nobody knew about it until it was on instagram. Or at a certain sense of privilege that some visitors (and some pilgrims) have, as if they have earned special treatment because they are on vacation (or on pilgrimage). There are times when all the visitors are just in the damn way. And I'm sure my irritation shows on my face, even if I don't say a word.

When you visit a new place, people aren't just reacting to you, they are reacting to the last hundred people who passed through. And I try to remember this when I am on the road myself.

we had a great time on the Camino Frances. We met some lovely people. But I was surprised at how many locals we met either completely ignored us or were outright rude despite the fact that I speak good Spanish and we were very polite. Does anyone else experience this on the Camino? A few others I’ve met here in Santiago said the same. Could it have something to do with the fact that half a million people pass by their front doors every year? Lol. Or maybe it’s the holidays and they expect to be left alone this time of year. Maybe my expectations were too high. but I was a little surprised and disappointed by that.
I have had lovely heartwarming encounters, and normal ignoring, as I get at home walking down the street. I often wondered if it bothered these small town folks, after all they live in a remote place by choice. I always respect their privacy and will smile and greet them but keep my distance.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.