• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving in 6 days! help!

sugarmagnolia19

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francés (6 days!)
I am a solo woman leaving in 6 days to embark on my first camino!!

I am super nervous, however. I feel prepared, but with anything new there is hesitation! Please send me words of encouragement, tips, funny stories anything that will pump up and get me ready for this most important journey, probably of my life!!!!

Much love

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sugar, your feelings are normal. Everyone gets nervous at the outset of this type of journey.
You are, most likely, about to step way out of your comfort zone.
Be reassured by the knowledge that literally hundreds of thousands of people have been where you are now (including me). And the vast majority of them have had the adventure of a lifetime, and thousands have joyfully returned for more (including me).

Enjoy the ride. Buen Viaje.

Sugar, your feelings are normal. Everyone gets nervous at the outset of this type of journey.
You are, most likely, about to step way out of your comfort zone.
Be reassured by the knowledge that literally hundreds of thousands of people have been where you are now (including me). And the vast majority of them have had the adventure of a lifetime, and thousands have joyfully returned for more (including me).

Enjoy the ride. Buen Viaje.

Thank you so much!! I definitely needed to hear this! I am ready to have do the most important thing in my life up to this point!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I am super nervous, however. I feel prepared, but with anything new there is hesitation! Please send me words of encouragement, tips, funny stories anything that will pump up and get me ready for this most important journey, probably of my life!!!!

Much love
Welcome to the forum.I posted a reply previously(29 Jan)on my first morning on Camino,it may sho you "the magic" you hope for.Buen Camino

I walked my first Camino with almost no preparation or planning and really had no idea what I was doing or getting myself into and in the end that was the best part of it. Not knowing what the heck I was doing. Everyday was a cool little adventure.
You will have a great time. cheers

Buen Camino SugarMagnolia19, you are going to have a wonderful time and meet many wonderful people!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked my first Camino with almost no preparation or planning and really had no idea what I was doing or getting myself into and in the end that was the best part of it. Not knowing what the heck I was doing. Everyday was a cool little adventure.
You will have a great time. cheers

thank you so much! I am keeping an open heart and an open mind! I am ready for any challenges I may face or amazing miracles that are presented to me!

I am alittle concerned about safety as a solo woman. I am very smart and have traveled all over the world, so I definitely have my wits about me. However, just because it is such a new thing I am uneasy about the trek alone. I have heard people say that you will meet a "camino family" who will look out for you along away. Any thoughts?

Also, what is the first day like? I was thinking about stopping in orrisson at the hostel because the 20+ km seems a lot, however I bet I could push myself. Thoughts?

I have not done the Camino yet so I don't know how difficult it really is. I opted to stay in Orrison because it looks like a beautiful area and also because I don't want too push too hard too soon and ruin the rest of my trip.

Good luck with your decision and if you do decide to stay at Orrison then you need to make reservations ahead of time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've never had the knack for languages. My Spanish consists of 1 or 2 word sentences. Still, I did just fine on both the English and Portuguese caminos. You will do fine too. Pilgrims take care of each other and the camino itself takes care of its own. The Spanish people are really friendly and helpful. Relax, take your time, if uncertain, ask, and have a good time. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Last edited:
what is the best way to get from Barcelona to SJDP? I was thinking bar > pamplona or San Sebastian > SJDP? thoughts

I am alittle concerned about safety as a solo woman. I am very smart and have traveled all over the world, so I definitely have my wits about me. However, just because it is such a new thing I am uneasy about the trek alone. I have heard people say that you will meet a "camino family" who will look out for you along away. Any thoughts?

Also, what is the first day like? I was thinking about stopping in orrisson at the hostel because the 20+ km seems a lot, however I bet I could push myself. Thoughts?
Sure, you will meet lots of people, but walking the Camino with a group of the same people the entire way may or may not be what you want to do. Like anything, it could have its pros and cons. Just take it by ear and don't plan on having a "Camino family". Besides after two or three days you have the whole thing figured out and may want a lot of solo walking time.
The staying in Orisson bit could be pretty cool, but not necessary. It's only about a three hour walk from St Jean, so yeah, if you start late it would be a good thing, but if you start earlier and the weather is nice, the walk to Roncesvalles is not too bad if you are fairly fit. You will see that the great majority of pilgrims walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
what is the best way to get from Barcelona to SJDP? I was thinking bar > pamplona or San Sebastian >

Madrid is the center of Spain. If by train you have to go to Madrid to get to Pamplona then by cab or bus to SJDP. Otherwise fly to Pamplona then take a cab or bus to SJDP.

"Sugar magnolia blossom's blooming head's all empty and I don't care"
You'll do great! Buen Camino!

I recommend making a reservation at Orisson. I did and was appreciative when I arrived there. Despite all the preparations made was really not ready to face the Pyrenees my first day. There are decided lack of mountains where I live.
Start slow and build up your distance naturally.
One of the bonus' I received was meeting many people and learning their names (or at least hearing their names) after dinner at Orisson. Meeting up with these same people over and over again during my pilgrimage made all the difference, even if it was a simple "Buen Camino" exchange. I inadvertently met each of my Camino Family at Orisson although we didn't really start to congeal for several days.
You have no need to feel you will be alone at any point, unless this is something you pursue.
The Camino will be as natural as walking very, very soon.
Buen Camino.
C

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen camino @sugarmagnolia19

Yes I recommend staying at Orisson but it does get booked up so you need to book in advance and when you email them it takes a wee while for them to get back to you.

My friend travelled (by train via Madrid I think) from Barcelona to Pamplona and then got the bus to SJPP where we met up.

Take heart by the fact that even our worst days turned into really good days, the camino provided :) I guess you can only find that out along the way.

It is truly an amazing experience and one that will stay with you for a long time to come - for months afterwards I dreamed every night that I was still on the camino, even now sometimes that happens, especially as I'm leaving to walk again in just over 4 weeks time - a fairly recent decision. I'm still in touch with some of the lovely people I met along the way - we share a special bond.

I agree with my fellow peregrinos answered above. You will have trying days, slower days, easy days, all incredible in some way! You will meet people you think you've known all your life. :) . And you'll get to know yourself better, too, 1 step at a time. Stay present to enjoy each moment... Even the hard ones! Allow the Camino to show you the things you are there to learn and experience. Go with as little expectations as possible and have a Buen Camino, Pilgrim. You've already begun!!!

Last edited:

Much love
Buen Camino :))

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know how you feel, setting out next Thursday myself, I'm a 6 foot two inch 110kg man walking alone will I be safe? (-: Maybe we will meet up and walk a while. Buen Camino

I walked with my partner in 2011. I'm about to embark again in September. Although he'll be along the Camino (he's walking and cycling to raise awareness for Younger Onset Dementia) I will basically be solo most of the time just shadowing him to be close by to support him if it's needed, but still often, days away because I'm not as fit as he is (He's on an organised group with friends) I don't have any concerns about my safety or to walk solo.

The encouragement here is amazing! Thank tou all very much for your kind words! With each day that goes by I just want to be on the path!! I will look to all your kind words for encouragement and strength!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Much love

A funny real life story of nervousness and encouragement that might resonate for you: A Guide for Wary Pilgrims Day 1

May your Walk Go Well

Buen Camino!

Much love
Hi Sugar, you will do fine. Being nervous is normal but that feeling will be gone when you begin your journey. Meeting lots off other pilgrims and making new friendships along the Camino. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked with my partner in 2011. I'm about to embark again in September. Although he'll be along the Camino (he's walking and cycling to raise awareness for Younger Onset Dementa) I will basically be solo most of the time just shadowing him to be close by to support him if it's needed, but still often, days away because I'm not as fit as he is (He's on an organised group with friends) I don't have any concerns about my safety or to walk solo.
Hi Glenys, I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I have not done the Camino yet so I don't know how difficult it really is. I opted to stay in Orrison because it looks like a beautiful area and also because I don't want too push too hard too soon and ruin the rest of my trip.

Good luck with your decision and if you do decide to stay at Orrison then you need to make reservations ahead of time.
Hi Mike, you will enjoy your stay at the albergue Orisson. I also stayed there last April and had a great time there.
Wel, I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Sugar, I am also a women going solo on my first camino leaving on the 21st of August and like you, can really feel those butterflies! Lots of anxiety at this point as well as moments of bliss that I'm really going to do this as a gift from me to me for my 60th birthday! I am looking forward to meeting other pilgrims along the way and just feel that I have my place in the Camino family. Like Mike, I also decided to stop in Orisson not to overexhert myself at the beginning and to meet other pilgrims. We are so lucky to have the moral support and the good wishes of seasoned pilgrims from this foum!..I wish you Buen Camino and as another pilgrim said: ''Happy feet all the way!''

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sugar, I am also a women going solo on my first camino leaving on the 21st of August and like you, can really feel those butterflies! Lots of anxiety at this point as well as moments of bliss that I'm really going to do this as a gift from me to me for my 60th birthday! I am looking forward to meeting other pilgrims along the way and just feel that I have my place in the Camino family. Like Mike, I also decided to stop in Orisson not to overexhert myself at the beginning and to meet other pilgrims. We are so lucky to have the moral support and the good wishes of seasoned pilgrims from this foum!..I wish you Buen Camino and as another pilgrim said: ''Happy feet all the way!''

Buen Camino to you as well! So amazing that you gave this to yourself for a birthday gift, so brave! Can't wait to continue to be meeting such kind people along the way!

I have two great new friends I met at Orisson last year. They are descending on me in Biarritz on 12.8 and we are starting on their finish of the Camino in Burgos on 16.8. I am going to walk with them as far as Astorga and then take the train to Ferrol and finish my 4th Camino in Santiago early in September.
You will make some life long friends on your Camino, trust me.

Much love
I might see you there as I arrive on the 11 and start on the 12th August.. Will be biking it solo for 2 weeks and like you a little nervous but very excited. Should be fun:))))

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walking the Camino is as much a personal, emotional, and spiritual journey as a physical journey. You will experience transformations of many kinds. If you keep a journal, starting today with all of today's anxieties, you will be able to look back. Sometimes it's hard to see how far we've come, except by looking back.

Buen Camino!

I am in the midst of my Camino, 2/3 of the way from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre. I am also a solo female traveller. The best tips I can give are to listen to your body, enjoy the journey, stop to look around and take photos and rest when you feel like it. And don't be too goal oriented about your mileage. That's how injuries happen. ( I met one woman who walked to Pamplona in three days. Her knees said no. She ended up hospitalized and had to go home after her third day. That is a tragedy.)

You may be travelling alone, but you are never really alone. There will always be new friends to meet and people you will keep seeing along the way, but also no obligation to be attached at the hip to anyone. It's your camino, and you need to be true to your own needs, your own pace and rhythm.

Stopping at Orisson on the first day is a grear experience. The sunrise there is phenomenal, the dinner is lovely, and we had a wonderful campfire type chat in the evening. Also, climbing that mountain is intense. I'm glad I did it in two days instead of one. The only stops between Orisson and Roncesvalles are at the egg man, a local farmer who sells boiled eggs and sheep cheese out of a truck by his farm, and a tiny emergency shelter a little further on at the top of the hill, an empty hut, basically.

One last thing... Injinji toe socks. The mid weight hiking ones. Best thing ever.

www.injinji.com/shop/trail

Buen Camino! :)

Much love[QUOTE)

Much love
HELLO!e
I am leaving SJPP in two weeks and i am also super nervous. Then we are at least not alone about that. I have not been abel to preper my self as i planed. But i will take it step by step, day by day. And see how long the road will take me. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Rela

Much love
Relax and enjoy. I fell in love with the Camino the moment I started walking the first time and want to walk it for the rest of my life.

I will just give one word of advice. OK. two. Relax......Enjoy :)

At the end of the first day as you 'break bread' with your new found friends, you'll wonder what you were worried about ;)

LOL. I just realised the post above said the same thing! Must be good advice then !

Hi, like I you will love your stay at the albergue Orisson. At night you will eat together. After that everybody has to introduce himself to the other pilgrims. It was a great evening. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

HELLO!e
I am leaving SJPP in two weeks and i am also super nervous. Then we are at least not alone about that. I have not been abel to preper my self as i planed. But i will take it step by step, day by day. And see how long the road will take me. Buen Camino
Hello, you don't have to be nervous. After you take your first steps on the Camino that is away. You will enjoy your self every step of the way. You will meet lots of other nice pilgrims and making new friendships along your journey. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Rela

Relax and enjoy. I fell in love with the Camino the moment I started walking the first time and want to walk it for the rest of my life.
You are so wright, it is become an addiction. For the next years to come I will do one trip every year. The next one is the Camino Portugues from Porto next year.
Wish you well, Peter.

just booked my stay at orisson! I am very excited. I will be there aug 28! I can't wait to begin this journey,

Question..my friend who just finished the camino said "la meceta" is pretty rough and if she had to do it again she would either rent a bike to do that part OR get a bus to drive a day in it. Has anyone had experience with this?

Also, I am a vegetarian, does anyone know of any specific veg hostels along the way?

just booked my stay at orisson! I am very excited. I will be there aug 28! I can't wait to begin this journey,

Question..my friend who just finished the camino said "la meceta" is pretty rough and if she had to do it again she would either rent a bike to do that part OR get a bus to drive a day in it. Has anyone had experience with this?

Also, I am a vegetarian, does anyone know of any specific veg hostels along the way?
Your friend was referring to the La Meseta. Flatter terrain than the rest of the Camino Frances, and it starts roughly at the point out of Burgos and ends about at Leon, give or take. Its difficulty and mysteriousness gets somewhat embellished on this forum and even in some of the guidebooks. It's not a desert by any stretch of the imagination, and mainly consists of agriculture fields. It has its own beauty and I certainly wouldn't skip it or bicycle it if I didn't have to. The only place on it I would take note of is the first part of the stretch out of Burgos. You got about 10 kilometers with no water fountains, so pack an extra bottle, and no shade, so wear a hat. Otherwise enjoy the scenery and it's actually nice in a way because the flatness of it gives your knees a break from going up and down hills. Reference attached photo of the dreaded....."La Meseta". ha ha
Don't know about any veggie albergues. Lots of places on the Camino where you can get groceries and make your own veggie meals.
cheers
El Camino 11 007.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Wondering if you are stuck, without a bed, in the middle of the Camino, in a very small town...can we expect to get a taxi to another location where beds might be available?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back