• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging in Coimbra

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
We will be arriving by train to Coimbra for our 1st night in Portugal. Deciding between the lbergue Rainha Santa Isabel or Larbelo HOtel. The hotel is right in the middle of town, so seems a better option for nearby cafes. Has anyone stayed at the albergue? It appears that it is across the river. Thoughts as to best option?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed at Hotel Oslo Coimbra. Walking distance from bus/train station.
Good clean place. Not expensive. Love breakfast on top floor with view of city.
Good location.
Hope you spend a day or two in Coimbra. Nice city. Nice people.

I walked from, and back, the hotel Oslo to the huge mall up on the hill. Had to buy a cell phone part.

Hotel Oslo: Av. Fernão de Magalhães, 25 Coimbra 1-855-201-7819

You can find nice inexpensive places to eat and sleep in Portugal. So enjoy it when you can.

I liked:
Restaurante Jardim da Manga

Restaurant

Address: R. Olímpio Nicolau Rui Fernandes, 3000-303 Coimbra, Portuga

Thanks Marty! Now I'm working on Sao da Joao Madeira. Seems there is an albergue, but I can't find much info. Misercordia? Heard of Central IMpacto and Solar. Any ideas for me?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was in Coimbra two years ago. Loved it there.
There was no A'burg there then. Or one that I knew of.

Since food and lodging are so cheap in that part of Portugal, I would spurge and enjoy yourself. There will be many other places to stay in a A'burg on the camino.

One of my Spanish friends in Seville recommended Hotel Oslo.

Strange,,,,, one of the front desk guys who works there lived for many years in NJ.

His family owns the place.

Ate in many places in Coimbra. But I liked the place I mentioned earlier.
Kinda of hard to find. But ask locals and you will find it.
It sits back off the street. Has covered well / court yard in front of it.
I liked the food. Each to their own.

Hey ride the elevator when you are in Coimbra. Then walk down. Stopping by the Univ.

Hotel Larbelo is great situated. Best in Coimbra. Must be reserved beforehand.
Hope this helps

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don’t remember the town, sorry. I’m on camino now, don’t have my notebook along.

Thanks Marty! Now I'm working on Sao da Joao Madeira. Seems there is an albergue, but I can't find much info. Misercordia? Heard of Central IMpacto and Solar. Any ideas for me?
Perhaps , just wait until a few days before you get there and then use the phone number in the Breirley book.

We will be arriving by train to Coimbra for our 1st night in Portugal. Deciding between the lbergue Rainha Santa Isabel or Larbelo HOtel. The hotel is right in the middle of town, so seems a better option for nearby cafes. Has anyone stayed at the albergue? It appears that it is across the river. Thoughts as to best option?

Hi, let the pilgrims, who have walked into Coimbra, have the albergue beds.
There are many hotels, guest houses, backpacker hostels and B&Bs to stay at in Coimbra if arriving by train.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The albergue Rainha Santa Isabel is situated oposite the town of Coimbra and just 100 yards away from the Coimbra towncenter. Just cross the bridge over the river.
A beautifull view over the river and the town.
Don't forget to visit the Fado center oposite the Coimbra cathedral. Beautiful concert every day at 17h00 including a glass of portwine. Ask at the reception of your hotel or the touristcenter.
Also a highlight is to visit the university and the university library. World famous.

Central impacto is right next to the camino and definately recommndable. Stayed there last year.

We went 5 km more and stayed at Hotel Pedra Bela.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I stayed in the Albergue Rainha Santa Isabel when I walked my Camino. It's not far from the center but the important bit is that it has a curfew. 10pm sharp, don't be late or stay somewhere else if you want to enjoy the town at night. It's worth exploring, I wish I had more time there. One of my fav cities in Portugal.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.