• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logroño protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraluchi

RIP 2019
Time of past OR future Camino
One every year since 2007
The El Pais newspaper ran an article yesterday (22 July 2917) about the protests in Logroño with the purpose of changing the "Camino" away from the town center.
The following is a (partial) translation of the article:
[They did not seek to end the ancestral pilgrimage route, but to denounce that the passage of the road through the center caused havoc, as overpopulation in the urban center, which entails price rises in rentals, bars and restaurants. "The pilgrims also give a very bad image because of their physical appearance and their careless hygiene. In the Middle Ages they brought culture, today they only bring black feet," they say. In turn, they add that if Logroño is losing the standards of their rituals and traditions, so does the Camino, for "one of the main aspects of the Way of Saint James is that it is a Christian tradition. But many pilgrims are not devoted and have sex during the Way, thus undermining the essence of Catholic morality. "
The argument that pilgrims bring wealth to the city could be questionable, because in reality, the municipal hostel is free. They only spend money on the pilgrim's menu, which is cheap and bad, and far from the culinary tradition of tapas and “pinchos riojanos”. What they propose from “STOP Gentrification of Logroño” is to divert the Way to the other side of the Ebro. They believe that it is the best solution so that one and the other are the least harmed possible. In fact, during the protest, they changed the direction of some of the yellow arrows that indicate the Camino de Santiago route, as a simulation, to divert it to the outskirts. The platform has initiated a request for signatures in order to gather enough support for the council to take into account the proposal to divert the Way.
In short, we live in a time when even cereals or pilgrims can be considered a terrible source of danger.]

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you Fraluchi for the heads up. Found an article and photos of the protest gangs including a group in front of the Albuerge Santiago Apostol. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The El Pais newspaper ran an article yesterday (22 July 2917) ...

Interesting date ;-) But seriously now, the corresponding change.org petition has gathered a grand total of 19 signatures in one month. Not a big support base it seems ...

Buen Camino, SY

The El Pais newspaper ran an article yesterday (22 July 2917) about the protests in Logroño with the purpose of changing the "Camino" away from the town center.
The following is a (partial) translation of the article:
[They did not seek to end the ancestral pilgrimage route, but to denounce that the passage of the road through the center caused havoc, as overpopulation in the urban center, which entails price rises in rentals, bars and restaurants. "The pilgrims also give a very bad image because of their physical appearance and their careless hygiene. In the Middle Ages they brought culture, today they only bring black feet," they say. In turn, they add that if Logroño is losing the standards of their rituals and traditions, so does the Camino, for "one of the main aspects of the Way of Saint James is that it is a Christian tradition. But many pilgrims are not devoted and have sex during the Way, thus undermining the essence of Catholic morality. "
The argument that pilgrims bring wealth to the city could be questionable, because in reality, the municipal hostel is free. They only spend money on the pilgrim's menu, which is cheap and bad, and far from the culinary tradition of tapas and “pinchos riojanos”. What they propose from “STOP Gentrification of Logroño” is to divert the Way to the other side of the Ebro. They believe that it is the best solution so that one and the other are the least harmed possible. In fact, during the protest, they changed the direction of some of the yellow arrows that indicate the Camino de Santiago route, as a simulation, to divert it to the outskirts. The platform has initiated a request for signatures in order to gather enough support for the council to take into account the proposal to divert the Way.
In short, we live in a time when even cereals or pilgrims can be considered a terrible source of danger.]

Interesting news to keep an eye on! Thanks for sharing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes thanks, but seeing as how I have managed to avoid staying in Logrono - on both occasions it has been an intermediate stop rather than a days-end. But if I remember correctly the entry into the city is not all the "pleasing", although their tourist information office was more than helpful, even gave us a truly helpful one page ready-reckoner of all the intermediate distances; altitudes for each town and an indication of services provided. If you are going to be in Logrono drop in and ask for a copy of the camino guide. (I will scan my copy and publish soon). Cheers

The article appeared in Tentaciones, the lifestyle and trends section of El Pais.
It isn't serious news by any standard, unless the new haircut of Justin Bieber counts as such.
The initiative comes from 3 persons and most comments on FB and elsewhere are negative about them and their actions (and positive about the Camino).

http://www.rioja2.com/n-111919-2-cu...a-porque-el-camino-de-santiago-pase-por-alli/
"Any town will go crazy to make the Camino to pass there, this even causes disputes between villages to achieve it," says Valentin, for whom this petition "is beyond all logic" and an initiative of "deluded people". "Ask the owners of bars and shops if they want the Camino de Santiago to be diverted, surely the pilgrims leave more money than those of the petition." As for complaints about the hygiene of walkers, Valentin is categorical: "I would like to make a comparison between the hygiene of both parties."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The article appeared in Tentaciones, the lifestyle and trends section of El Pais.
It isn't serious news by any standard, unless the new haircut of Justin Bieber counts as such.
The initiative comes from 3 persons and most comments on FB and elsewhere are negative about them and their actions (and positive about the Camino).
http://www.rioja2.com/n-111919-2-cu...a-porque-el-camino-de-santiago-pase-por-alli/
Of course it is "polemico", but the present demonstration took place three weeks after above mentioned article.
There is no smoke without a fire, though it can most probably be extinguished between the parties whilst enjoying a couple glasses of their superb Rioja.:D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
well here we say that it is the "silly season" for the newspapers when they have to fill column inches and have nothing useful to report on. I wouldn't imagine that it is too serious. Now where is all that sex on the camino?

(Moderators move if you think it should be somewhere else). This the front page and a copy of the info on the inside. Please note you may have to resize the docs when you open them. Cheers

Attachments

• Example of Camino info.pdf
    758.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Camino Guide p1.pdf
    375.6 KB · Views: 69
Last year we entered Logroño right at the beginning of the week of feria. What a blast! We spent a lot of money there and had a great time (not necessarily always related). We made good friends there.
I have complete confidence in the economic laws of supply and demand, and no fear that the Camino will be moved away from all the businesses that benefit from it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
(Moderators move if you think it should be somewhere else). This the front page and a copy of the info on the inside. Please note you may have to resize the docs when you open them. Cheers
Ahem, what's that all about??? It's not the size of the document I'm worried but the purpose I just can't get it..., sorry ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.