• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logrono to Madrid or other city to fly back to states

musicagl

Time of past OR future Camino
Part 1 - May 2011
Part 2 - May 2012
Part 3 - June 2014
Finisterre (for mom) Fall 2016
Hi:

I'm walking from SJPdP to Logrono at the end of May (can't take more time off). I see rail connects Logrono to other parts of Spain. Does anyone have a recommendation for getting from Logrono to a city with a large enough airport so that the flight back home won't be outrageously expensive?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi -

In my experience, Madrid would be the cheapest airport for departure. I've researched many of the others for my own planning, but they are all more expensive flights than Madrid. It's about 390 km to Madrid and the train takes just over 3 hours to get there. Buy your ticket when you get there - the Renfe site is impossible unless you just want to check timetables (renfe.es).

Best of luck -

lynne

Just a p.s. on the RENFE site. Lynne is right that buying tickets on the RENFE website can be a hair-pulling experience. But last year I was able to do it, and as a result I paid 32E for the Ave to Sevilla as opposed to the 80+ E that I would have had to pay otherwise. RENFE has some really good advance purchase web fares, and if you can figure out their website, it's worth it. Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good to know Laurie - probably takes more patience than I normally have :)

I have also found, (now looking at Madrid to Huelva and SDC to Madrid), that bus and train often take around the same travel time, so one might as well go with the cheapest.

Thanks. (From The Great White North where it was -36 C today- without the wind chill :shock: )

lynne

I took the ALSA bus from Madrid to Logrono and found it be a very interesting and scenic trip. It takes about 4 hours and the cost is E21.31 one way. There are buses about every 2 hours and about 1/'2 go direct to the airport.
http://www.alsa.es
When entering "Logrono" you should type in the first couple of letters only and let it give you choices because unless you have a tilde on your keyboard it won't recognize the name.

I don't know if you have already booked your round trip ticket from the U.S. or not. I flew in the off season so my flights were probably cheaper but on Iberia if you buy a round trip from the U.S. the add on flights are not much more expensive. For example, I flew washington D.C.- Madrid- Pamplona with the return ticket Santiago-Madrid-Washington which was less than $100 more than the straight Washington DC- Madrid roundtrip. On another trip I flew DC-Madrid with a return Oviedo-DC-Madrid and it was actually cheaper than the straight DC-Madrid roundtrip. If you look at the Iberia website, do a round trip search from the U.S. to Madrid and choose flexible dates. Then choose the cheapest date. Then go to the Multiple stop option and use those dates but with add on flights and see how the price works out. You could try Logrono, bilbao, pamplona, san sebastian or leon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
viajero said:
If you look at the Iberia website, do a round trip search from the U.S. to Madrid and choose flexible dates. Then choose the cheapest date. Then go to the Multiple stop option and use those dates but with add on flights and see how the price works out. You could try Logrono, bilbao, pamplona, san sebastian or leon.

Thanks -- I've got a ticket to Toulouse but haven't purchased a return. It may be too late to try Iberia, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back