• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

long layover in Santiago

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello! I am flying into Santiago and taking the bus on to the beginning of my Camino. I will have a 5 hour wait for my bus. Are there places at the bus station--or anywhere else--where one can store one's luggage? I hate to drag it around for several hours.

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Susan, if you have connecting bus at airport, you have time to kill so I suggest walk down road to Casa Lourenza, It's a good joint. Walk back to airport , no problem. But you can also connect from bar with airport bus to city approx €1.80. Want to go to city? every 30mins .

I will be going on from Santiago by bus, which means I have to drag my luggage with me. That is the real issue. I love to walk, but not with 20K of luggage!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am puzzled... what are you doing with the 20 kg of luggage when you start walking! Are you forwarding it all along on a daily basis?

Yes! I won't be carrying it.
Please tell me that you mean 20 lb, not 20 kg! o_O I'm sorry that I don't have personal experience to answer your question.However, this FAQ on a Santiago info site says that there are lockers at the bus station:
  • Where can I find baggage lockers?
At the Post Office, the bus station, airport and, for a short time, in the Pilgrim Office. Some private companies also offer left-luggage and/or bike storage services.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please tell me that you mean 20 lb, not 20 kg! o_O I'm sorry that I don't have personal experience to answer your question.However, this FAQ on a Santiago info site says that there are lockers at the bus station:
  • Where can I find baggage lockers?
At the Post Office, the bus station, airport and, for a short time, in the Pilgrim Office. Some private companies also offer left-luggage and/or bike storage services.
Well, I'm limited to 20K and I've never been one to travel lightly. No worries, I'm not carrying all that on my back. A locker would be perfect!!!!! Thanks so much!

Well, I'm limited to 20K and I've never been one to travel lightly. No worries, I'm not carrying all that on my back. A locker would be perfect!!!!! Thanks so much!

Now you've got everyone intrigued... ;)

Do please share a packing list :)

Hair dryer, curling tongs, ?

No.....

Better not. My wife might see it :eek:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year I walked St Olav's with a group and our bags were transferred each day. We were encouraged to bring "everything we might need". Holy moly, I should have known better but I did take more than I could comfortably carry on my back. At the end of each day, i found myself barely able to drag my stuff up stairs. This year I am walking the Queen Charlotte Track in NZ. Daily bag transfer is included with my boat ticket to get to Ship's Cove to start. Even if I decide to utilize the service I guarantee that my bag will be less than 15 pounds which is my maximum comfort level. For me, lesson learned; for others, it may not apply.

Now you've got everyone intrigued... ;)

Do please share a packing list :)

Hair dryer, curling tongs, ?

No.....

Better not. My wife might see it :eek:

LOL So the LIMIT is 20K. That doesn't mean I have to take that much. The packing list I received is below.

Essential:
walking boots/shoes
suitable clothing, including good walking socks
hat
waterproof jacket
food and snacks
water bottle
rucksack
guidebook & maps
blister treatment kit
first aid kit

Desirable:
whistle
flash light
bonioculars
camera
biodegrable toilet tissue
sun and wind protection
mobile phone

I will also pack body glide for the feet to prevent blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back