A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Looking for a long walk?

HedaP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances starting SJPdP Sept/Oct 2015, April/May 2017

Advertisment

Robo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
Alone.
------------------------------
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
with my wife Pat.
------------------------------
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
together again :-)
Could be a challenging route in many ways! :eek:

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés (May-July 2017)
Camino Primitivo (May-June 2018)
Camino Portugués (Spring 2019)
I think you'd be pretty disappointed to have made it 2/3 of the way on a walk predicated on the idea of walking "without getting your feet wet in a lake, sea or ocean" to then just fall right into the Suez Canal.

HedaP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
I think you'd be pretty disappointed to have made it 2/3 of the way on a walk predicated on the idea of walking "without getting your feet wet in a lake, sea or ocean" to then just fall right into the Suez Canal.
Is a canal a lake, sea or ocean? And I bet there are some serious river crossings involved. It’s just a fun post. Relax and enjoy.
Still tossing up whether Dervla Murphy would walk it with a mule and a six year old or cycle it?

Camino(s) past & future
I guess I didn't articulate it well. I wasn't trying to say that a canal is a lake, sea or ocean, more just pointing out the pointlessness of predicating a walk on avoiding certain water elements but including others. I'm plenty relaxed, don't worry. Do emojis help? :cool:

Camino(s) past & future
'
I guess I didn't articulate it well. I wasn't trying to say that a canal is a lake, sea or ocean, more just pointing out the pointlessness of predicating a walk on avoiding certain water elements but including others. I'm plenty relaxed, don't worry. Do emojis help? :cool:
Your comment about the Suez Canal made me first grin and then curious. If you click your way back to the guy who originally came up with this line you'll see that he calls it "the longest distance you can travel between two points in straight line without crossing any ocean or any major water bodies". He doesn't seem to be particularly interested in walking :).

Camino(s) past & future
Your comment about the Suez Canal made me first grin and then curious. If you click your way back to the guy who originally came up with this line you'll see that he calls it "the longest distance you can travel between two points in straight line without crossing any ocean or any major water bodies". He doesn't seem to be particularly interested in walking :).
Or turning corners! :D

Dorpie

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
This belongs in the "NOT a serious thread" thread but what is the longest long walk on a short pier that you can take without hitting sea, lake or water? I've got to know because people keep telling me to take one.
I guess the trick for not getting wet would be to start walking at the water end and head inland. Wigan Pier would probably be your best bet for short pier selection :)

1519045654744.png 1519045654744.png

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
No idea why people would send me things like this or why I would feel the need to share it on this forum?;)...
“The longest straight line you can walk on earth without hitting sea, lake or water. (13,589 km / 8,443 miles)“.
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/th...hina-to-liberia.amp?__twitter_impression=true
¡Buen camino grande!
@HedaP
For someone considering a long pilgrimage route, in the autumn of 2015 I met two Korean pilgrims in Emaus Albergue in Burgos who had bicycled from Korea. It took them 22 months. I don't know how long it would take to walk it.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Future (God-willing): Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo (2018)
@HedaP
For someone considering a long pilgrimage route, in the autumn of 2015 I met two Korean pilgrims in Emaus Albergue in Burgos who had bicycled from Korea. It took them 22 months. I don't know how long it would take to walk it.
13,589km divided by 30km per day gives you 453 days or 65 weeks or a year and a quarter. Obviously you could go faster or slower and would need to make allowances for weather and wars.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
C. de Salvador/Primitivo (2018)

HedaP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Apologies mate, just reread the quote in my original post and you are quite right about getting feet wet. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Apologies mate, just reread the quote in my original post and you are quite right about getting feet wet. :)
No worries. Surely even pilgrims who despise lakes, seas and oceans don't mind getting their feet wet in the occasional river or canal from time to time. :p

Camino(s) past & future
Via Francigena (Zwolle, Netherlands to Rome) 2013
Camino Vienna to Santiago de Compostela 2018
I am very much into long hikes, but this might be a bit too much. Also, I never like the straight parts :)

long trails

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2016
Portugues April 2017
Norte Spring 2018
Karl Bushby is currently walking from the tip of South America to his home in Hull, England. He left in 1998 from Punta Arenas in Chile and is currently somewhere in Mongolia.

The Bering Strait between Russian and the USA freezes so it was possible for him to walk between the continents.

He walked through the Darien Gap which is pretty damn dangerous (joining Colombia and Panama).

The owners of the Channel Tunnel have made an exception that they will allow him to walk back into England from France under the English Channel.

I guess this would be the longest possible walk? (just read it's 36,000 miles. That's a lot of Caminos!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Bushby

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/galleries/the-walk-around-the-world/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/976427.Giant_Steps

Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June