• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for 'friends of Bill' on Camino in April 2024

Zadilly

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to do Camino Frances in April 2024
Hi,
I am starting my Camino in St Jean Pied de Port the second week of April, I am wondering if any "friends of Bill" are going to be around at the same time. I intend to hit some meetings along the way. I have some spanish but am by no means fluent. I am ok with meetings where I didn't understand a word. I still get something from it, and have always found welcome. But it would be nice to touch base with a fellow drunk(s). I have read some older posts, but nothing current. Also I would love to hear from anyone who has attended any meetings in Spain. I have only gone in South America, so yeah....Just thought I would ask. Feel free to PM if you prefer, I think for me it is better to be a bit public, as it helps to keep the social pressure at bay.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Had to google that. I never heard that expression before.

When i was walking most of the people i met were up for a glass of beer. In the rioja region mornings or even a day or 2 were lost due to wine.

I'd imagine it could be difficult especially for those with rubber arms.

That being said, i met drinkers who abstained during their camino and I'm sure there are plenty of people that got strength from the camino and fellow pilgrims. Wishing you the best.

I'll be starting my camino, from SJPDP, on April 21st. So, you'll be a couple of weeks ahead of me. If you come across any meetings, shoot me a PM. Have fun and Buen Camino.
Greg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll be starting my camino, from SJPDP, on April 21st. So, you'll be a couple of weeks ahead of me. If you come across any meetings, shoot me a PM. Have fun and Buen Camino.
Greg
I will for sure! Buen Camino

Had to google that. I never heard that expression before.

When i was walking most of the people i met were up for a glass of beer. In the rioja region mornings or even a day or 2 were lost due to wine.

I'd imagine it could be difficult especially for those with rubber arms.

That being said, i met drinkers who abstained during their camino and I'm sure there are plenty of people that got strength from the camino and fellow pilgrims. Wishing you the best.
I think that is true.Plus many people don't want to drink much when it will make the next day harder. Also, sometimes other peoples hangovers are a good reminder. All in all, I am confident that it will all work out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am wondering if any "friends of Bill" are going to be around at the same time.

Wishing you a wonderful camino, @Zadilly. I think you will find a lot of support along the Camino, especially if you are open about your situation. My son walked a sober camino at the age of 19 (about 20 years ago now) and found no pressure to drink from anyone. He jokingly told me that he was always very sought after for dinner gatherings, because the menú always includes wine and he wouldn’t be drinking, so there’d be more for others.

See this thread for a fairly recent discussion and links to earlier threads.

I completely agree with peregrina2000!!!! And- of course you know this - there are a lot of "drunks" out there and also many family members of the same. A very difficult but unfortunately common issue.
I hope you can locate at least a few AA meetings along the way, if not maybe have your own.
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I am starting my Camino in St Jean Pied de Port the second week of April, I am wondering if any "friends of Bill" are going to be around at the same time. I intend to hit some meetings along the way. I have some spanish but am by no means fluent. I am ok with meetings where I didn't understand a word. I still get something from it, and have always found welcome. But it would be nice to touch base with a fellow drunk(s). I have read some older posts, but nothing current. Also I would love to hear from anyone who has attended any meetings in Spain. I have only gone in South America, so yeah....Just thought I would ask. Feel free to PM if you prefer, I think for me it is better to be a bit public, as it helps to keep the social pressure at bay.
Hi,
I am a friend of Bill too and am coming up on my 7th birthday next week….assuming I don’t drink. I arrive in Pamplona on April 16 and plan to leave from SJPP on the 17th.
I’m public as well. I have the triangle on my backpack. I plan to go to meetings along the way and also plan to attend/listen to my regular book study by zoom. Please PM.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am a friend of Bill too and am coming up on my 7th birthday next week….assuming I don’t drink. I arrive in Pamplona on April 16 and plan to leave from SJPP on the 17th.
I’m public as well. I have the triangle on my backpack. I plan to go to meetings along the way and also plan to attend/listen to my regular book study by zoom. Please PM.
Hi, I cannot figure out how to PM. I know it is most likely obvious, but...ugg, I will try again later.

Hi, I cannot figure out how to PM. I know it is most likely obvious, but...ugg, I will try again later.
If you hover your computer mouse over an individuals avatar, or tap it on your 'phone, you will see a pop-up that includes "start a conversation". Use that.

Or click on the little envelope, to the right on the blue bar at the top of your screen..

Either will get you there

Buen Camino

Hi,
Hello, Zadilly,
While I'm not active in AA I do participate in a different program that has helped me get and stay sober. My Camino starts in Pamplona at the end of April and perhaps we will meet on the road - that would be wonderful. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, Zadilly,
While I'm not active in AA I do participate in a different program that has helped me get and stay sober. My Camino starts in Pamplona at the end of April and perhaps we will meet on the road - that would be wonderful. Buen Camino
I hope so too!

We leave SJPP on April 20, 2024 and each have 30+ years of sobriety and are still active in AA. Come say hi if you see us (I'm 6'1 and heavily tattooed). We'd be into having an impromptu meeting along the way!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back