• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transfer on Camino Frances

Carolyn G

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
May 2019
(Future - CP September 2020)
Hi - I’d like to ask exactly how the luggage transfer companies work on the Camino Frances. If you pre-pay online beforehand, can you print every tag to use along the way? If you don’t pre-pay, do you make arrangements with the hostal desk or do you have to contact the transfer company every day?
Thanks for your advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The system is very easy. You don't need to organise or pay ahead. In fact that would remove all spontaneity from your trip
In the reception of all albergues and hostals, there will be a pile of envelopes from each of the transfer companies.
Just grab one, fill out the front, pop your money inside , attach it to your bag and leave your bag in reception the next morning. Your bag will arrive at your destination the next day. And they will tie a new blank envelope to it for the next day, to make it easy for you.
Its that simple. I always use Jacotrans, but there are others. The good thing about doing it this way, is that you're not committed ahead, you can decide the day before where you are headed.
And if you decide to carry your bag some days you can do that too. You may decide to send your bag ahead if you have a longer walk than ususal, (35kms cerrying your bag is much harder than 35kms without one) or a steep climb etc - or just send it ahead every day.

Hi - I’d like to ask exactly how the luggage transfer companies work on the Camino Frances. If you pre-pay online beforehand, can you print every tag to use along the way? If you don’t pre-pay, do you make arrangements with the hostal desk or do you have to contact the transfer company every day?
Thanks for your advice.

The easiest way that I saw to handle luggage transport on the Camino Frances and Camino Fisterre was to ask the hospitalitero at your current evening's lodging to contact one of the transport companies for you. The albergues will have preprinted envelopes that you fill with 4 or 5 euros (depending on the transport company). On the outside of the envelope you will list your name and contact information as well as the location (town/albergue name) for the luggage drop tomorrow.

This system works really well because the hospitaliteros are familiar with the local luggage transport companies and can set up the pick-up and drop-off easily with a quick phone call.

Things to remember if you choose to transport your belongings:

A. Let your current hospitalitero know that you will need luggage transport the following day AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE AT THE ALBERGUE. They will make the necessary call for you before the transport shops close for the day. It doesn't work if you decide at 10pm that you're not going to be able to schlep all of your stuff tomorrow. The transport companies are closed for the night.

B. It's a good idea to go day to day when using luggage transport because you don't necessarily know where you will be on The Camino days in advance.

C. When using luggage transport you are mostly limited to using private albergues. The parochial and municipal albergues that I used on the Camino didn't accept luggage drops. (Peregrinos, correct me on this one if you had a different experience)

D. You need to know where you are going to be staying in order to use the service. i.e. the name of the next town you will be staying in and reservations at a particular albergue in that town.

Enjoy your Camino planning, that's a great part of the experience!
el Sol

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The system is very easy. You don't need to organise or pay ahead. In fact that would remove all spontaneity from your trip
In the reception of all albergues and hostals, there will be a pile of envelopes from each of the transfer companies.
Just grab one, fill out the front, pop your money inside , attach it to your bag and leave your bag in reception the next morning. Your bag will arrive at your destination the next day. And they will tie a new blank envelope to it for the next day, to make it easy for you.
Its that simple. I always use Jacotrans, but there are others. The good thing about doing it this way, is that you're not committed ahead, you can decide the day before where you are headed.
And if you decide to carry your bag some days you can do that too. You may decide to send your bag ahead if you have a longer walk than ususal, (35kms cerrying your bag is much harder than 35kms without one) or a steep climb etc - or just send it ahead every day.

How do you know how much money to leave? We have reservations made so we know where we’ll be staying.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for quick reply. I’m still wondering what the downside of pre-paying before leaving is since we’ll have advance reservations made.

Thanks for quick reply. I’m still wondering what the downside of pre-paying before leaving is since we’ll have advance reservations made.
The downside is that if, for ANY reason, your schedule changes, it will be one more thing you will have to adjust. You are absolutely positive you won't get sick, have a knee problem, or even just come upon a town in which you'd like to stay an extra day? I guess I just can't think of a single reason prepaying for pack transport would be advantageous.

The easiest way that I saw to handle luggage transport on the Camino Frances and Camino Fisterre was to ask the hospitalitero at your current evening's lodging to contact one of the transport companies for you. The albergues will have preprinted envelopes that you fill with 4 or 5 euros (depending on the transport company). On the outside of the envelope you will list your name and contact information as well as the location (town/albergue name) for the luggage drop tomorrow.

This system works really well because the hospitaliteros are familiar with the local luggage transport companies and can set up the pick-up and drop-off easily with a quick phone call.

Things to remember if you choose to transport your belongings:

A. Let your current hospitalitero know that you will need luggage transport the following day AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE AT THE ALBERGUE. They will make the necessary call for you before the transport shops close for the day. It doesn't work if you decide at 10pm that you're not going to be able to schlep all of your stuff tomorrow. The transport companies are closed for the night.

B. It's a good idea to go day to day when using luggage transport because you don't necessarily know where you will be on The Camino days in advance.

C. When using luggage transport you are mostly limited to using private albergues. The parochial and municipal albergues that I used on the Camino didn't accept luggage drops. (Peregrinos, correct me on this one if you had a different experience)

D. You need to know where you are going to be staying in order to use the service. i.e. the name of the next town you will be staying in and reservations at a particular albergue in that town.

Enjoy your Camino planning, that's a great part of the experience!
el Sol
You are correct re the parochial and municipal albergues; they often open much later too, so I could see how that would create a timing problem for delivery.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One tip: take a photo of your written label as well as a photo of the albergue you’ve prebooked in case there is some miscommunication. It is your responsibility to ensure the transport company knows you have a bag. In some of the private accommodation the onus is on you. We had to pay 25 euros for a taxi to collect our bag and bring it to us because they didn’t know and it was only when we arrived at our prebooked accommodation that we realised. Prior to that we assumed, our bad, that these companies were automatically contacted. Also put your phone number on the tag.

another thing i forgot -if you use the same company all the time, they get to know you, and remember where you're staying

The envelopes (specific to each transport company) will have the required payment amount listed on them for one day's transport.

The easiest and most convention to way to book a carrier...IMO is to use Correos! They start service April 1, I think, through Oct. 31 along all of the CF and have service between Sarria and SdC all year long. With Correos, you can book ahead with one payment on line for the whole journey. As we made lots of stops it worked out to be less than 4euros per day. You have the option of either putting in all your destinations in advance, or putting them in the computer the day before. They did not charge me when I needed to make a change!

I would caution you about some information written above. Some of the companies, depending on where you are on the Camino, charge as much as 7 to 8 euros to transport a bag. And one company, if you schedule in advance, charges 5 euros to make each change in the itinerary.

Correos did not charge for changes.... if you book your entire route with them, no matter how many stops you make it will be one flat fee.

If you start in SJPdP ...you are in France. Correos starts in Spain.
If you book Orisson, they request using
https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/
I used them to Roncevalles and then switched to Correos.
If you pick the lower route you can start Correos service in Valcarlos.

https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/services

If you book ahead, they will send you a label. I actually copied the label, cut the paper down and thenmade one for each day and a few blanks in case we changed our scheduled route.. All you need do is write the next destination on your baggage label. I actually attached a little clear plastic holder to my bag. All I had to do was put in my destination for the day and I was off. I hand printed mine in advance, so it took about 15 seconds a day to switch labels! Then I put the rest of the labels back in the luggage. It was so easy! No looking for envelopes...which are not always readily visible, or checking to make sure that the proprietor would call, etc. If you pay online them you also do not have to worry about finding the exact change to put in the envelope each day.
I have used Correos twice! I did make some changes the night before several times. They would verify the change with me on line! All I then needed to do was take out a blank label and put in the next destination, slip the tag in the plastic label and I was done! I had absolutely no problem with this service. Like clockwork!

Good luck!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are correct re the parochial and municipal albergues; they often open much later too, so I could see how that would create a timing problem for delivery.

Often, many hikers have luggage delivered to bars in the area when staying at municipals. You can email Correos and ask them what would be close to the accommodation for delivery.

I’ve used Correos for 50 days on the Camino and it was wonderful. If you have preboooked all your nights you can print their tags up before you leave. The ones I had there was room for about 4 days and I did as the person above and had a clear pouch on my bag to slide it into. The one day I wrote the wrong place on the tag they called me to verify where I wanted my bag to go as the tag dud not match what I had entered on line. Also easy to change if needed. I’ve also used them twice to send my, as Icall them, travel clothes to Ivar so they were there when I arrived.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use Caminofacil every year and love them.
However, you do not need to prepay unless you know exactly where you'll be staying each night.
There will be envelopes at every albergue if you choose to not plan ahead.

I used Correos along the both on the del Norte and the Francese last year and found it very easy. They accommodate both those who plan their whole trip in advance (4 euro a stage) and those of us who do it day by day (4 euro a stage). I just texted them in English the night before, the pack was collected about 8, and always reached my destination before I did.

Camnofacil will charge you 5euros per change once you begin the camino
Lots of folks that send their the luggage the whole way use suitcases.
Just note the weight restrictions when packing.
I believe Caminofacil and express Bouricott were 15kilos and Correos was 20kilos in 2018. No size restrictions were noted as I recall.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am curious if the use of the term "luggage" is referring to the normal backpack or is it becoming common to use suitcase type "luggage"?

Jacotrans charged us 5-7 Euros each times we used them this past spring. In retrospect, I think they charged us more on the days I called our packs “maletas” and less on the days I called them “mochilas.” Maybe someone else can confirm that.

no mention from anyone regarding the municipal and parochial albergues which will not accept "pilgrims" if they are seen to be using carriers for their goods!!!

I am curious if the use of the term "luggage" is referring to the normal backpack or is it becoming common to use suitcase type "luggage"?
I mainly saw packs being transported,(the picture above suggests otherwise though!), but at Zubiri we met some Australian girls who had huge pieces of luggage. I think they had more in their cosmetic cases than I did in my entire pack. They had so much there wasn't room in the albergue for them. They wanted to spread it all around, and weren't popular at all.
They were planning to travel around Europe after the Camino hence the excess luggage.
I found the luggage transfer a godsend when I hurt my knee. Sending my gear ahead allowed me to keep walking and my knee eventually came right. My pack was only 6 kgs, so the cost was 5euros.
The following year my friend had an injured back and it worked for that as well, after a few weeks her back wasn't sore.

Do you think there is more of the suitcase type luggage from Sarria?

The easiest and most convention to way to book a carrier...IMO is to use Correos! They start service April 1, I think, through Oct. 31 along all of the CF and have service between Sarria and SdC all year long. With Correos, you can book ahead with one payment on line for the whole journey. As we made lots of stops it worked out to be less than 4euros per day. You have the option of either putting in all your destinations in advance, or putting them in the computer the day before. They did not charge me when I needed to make a change!

I would caution you about some information written above. Some of the companies, depending on where you are on the Camino, charge as much as 7 to 8 euros to transport a bag. And one company, if you schedule in advance, charges 5 euros to make each change in the itinerary.

Correos did not charge for changes.... if you book your entire route with them, no matter how many stops you make it will be one flat fee.

If you book ahead, they will send you a label. I actually copied the label, cut the paper down and thenmade one for each day and a few blanks in case we changed our scheduled route.. All you need do is write the next destination on your baggage label. I actually attached a little clear plastic holder to my bag. All I had to do was put in my destination for the day and I was off. I hand printed mine in advance, so it took about 15 seconds a day to switch labels! Then I put the rest of the labels back in the luggage. It was so easy! No looking for envelopes...which are not always readily visible, or checking to make sure that the proprietor would call, etc. If you pay online them you also do not have to worry about finding the exact change to put in the envelope each day.
I have used Correos twice! I did make some changes the night before several times. They would verify the change with me on line! All I then needed to do was take out a blank label and put in the next destination, slip the tag in the plastic label and I was done! I had absolutely no problem with this service. Like clockwork!

Good luck!

I second this positive feedback about Correos. We booked a few days ahead at a time, and it was very easy. They do their pricing per stage, so if you take three days to walk one of the longer "guide book stages" you pay the same for the three days as others might if they did it in one, if you see what I mean, so it isn't more expensive to walk more slowly, as is the case with some services. Also very easy to make changes - either online or by phone (the people on phones for that service speak English). When we had to cancel a section at the last minute when my mother got sick they even phoned to check we didn't need them (we had been on the road for a while by then so they had got used to receiving our bookings!) - and they always replied quickly to any email queries.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I first walked the camino anyone with vehicle support ie who had their packs carried, was refused entry to the refugios (as they were then called).

The reasoning was that if you had vehicle support, then you had an advantage over those who did not. If you could afford vehicle support, then you could afford to stay in commercial accommodation.

There are still a couple of albergues that maintain the tradition of giving priority to unassisted walkers. Some will refuse entry to pilgrims with vehicle support.

You missed the point.If you get packs sent direct to Municipal they may refuse to accept you.
No, you do not send to the Municipals directly...unless they allow delivery in special circumstances.

Some send the backpack to an alternate location, such as a bar, not far from the municipal site, then they pick up the bag and go to the municipal location. You could contact Correos and ask them where to send the bag near the municipal.

Thanks for your advice.
I like to have everything arranged ahead of time and be prepaid so that I don’t have to carry extra cash. I have used CaminoFacil the last two on El Camino Frances. I entered all of my hotels and dates into their online form, paid securely online, and downloaded and printed luggage tags for each stage. Once in Spain, I would leave my bag in the foyer each morning and it would magically be in my room each afternoon when I arrived. They NEVER made even one tiny mistake in the transfer process ever. I cannot recommend this company’s services too highly. (They also provide pre-arranged taxi services like Uber. )

I have used both Camnofacil and Correos. Camnofacil is a good service! However, if you need to make changes it can get expensive. They also charged me double for certainly sections that were slightly longer than their normal route. Correos, on the other hand charged me one flat fee between, i.e., Leon and Santiago no matter how many stops I made...even if the segment was a bit longer than normal. They also did not charge for changes. An advantage to Caminofacil is that they started service on March 15th from Leon. Correos started April 1st. Both will get your bags there but if you want a cheaper service, no penalty for a change in Your itinerary and no extra charge for a few xtra kilometers then Correos would be my choice!

I have used both Camnofacil and Correos. Camnofacil is a good service! However, if you need to make changes it can get expensive. They also charged me double for certainly sections that were slightly longer than their normal route. Correos, on the other hand charged me one flat fee between, i.e., Leon and Santiago no matter how many stops I made...even if the segment was a bit longer than normal. They also did not charge for changes. An advantage to Caminofacil is that they started service on March 15th from Leon. Correos started April 1st. Both will get your bags there but if you want a cheaper service, no penalty for a change in Your itinerary and no extra charge for a few xtra kilometers then Correos would be my choice!

Both Companies allow you to input your Data-you schedule online and pay in advance online. I know Correos uses PayPal...you use your credit card. I do not remember if CaminoFacil uses PayPal or whether you input credit card directly. CaminoFacil provides you with pre printed tags. You need only to print them on paper and cut and attach them to your bag holder. Neither company Provides a holder.

Correos provides you with a blank tag. You put your first destination on the tag. The next day you simply write the second destination. The tag only allows space for about 5 destinations. Then simply put another tag on and repeat the process. I saved at least 50-60 euros by using Correos verses CaminoFacil.

I reproduced correos’ blank Labels and made copies for each destination...then Filled the arrival location in for each destination and then cut the labels down to fit in a clear name badge holder which I buy at Staples.....they come in a package. I punch a couple of small wholes in it with a hole puncher, then reinforce the hole using ducttape and attach it to my bag using a sturdy thin elastic string/thin rope. All I have to do is take out the previous destination label and insert a new one into the holder. I also cut the Camino Facil labels and use the same holder. Worked perfectly. Cheap solution.

It took me more time to prepare my Correos labels but it was worth the savings.

I never had to ask the proprietor to call Correos or CaminoFacil for a pick up, never needed cash to put in envelopes, or had to look for an envelope. Most times envelopes are prominent...but not always...

Hope this answers your questions

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Good luck!
Thanks so much this is exactly what I will do. Super informative!

Can anyone advise as to whether this service is operational earlier than the 1st April. (Correos)
I'm arriving/starting on 1st March.
Thank you in advance

PS Ignore the Norte (left) I'm doing Frances.

Can anyone advise as to whether this service is operational earlier than the 1st April. (Correos)
I'm arriving/starting on 1st March.
Thank you in advance

PS Ignore the Norte (left) I'm doing Frances.
Email them. I’ve been emailing them about my Fall trip and have received responses .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How do you know how much money to leave? We have reservations made so we know where we’ll be staying.
Apparantly from the replies the envelopes for each company will indicate that, however on jacotrans Camino fácil and COrreos seems you can prepay online .

Last edited:
Email them. I’ve been emailing them about my Fall trip and have received responses .

I do not know a company that starts March 1st. Caminofacil started March 15.
Correos has all year round services on CF from O’Cebriero to SdC. Otherwise services began April 1st.
Another option is to send your pack ahead to another town with a correos office..which takes 3 days. But if you were able to forego some belongings for a few days at a time this might be a consideration.

https://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite..._paqueteria/detalle_de_producto-sidioma=en_GB

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last fall I had my duffle transported to several non private albergues. The municipal in Valcarlos. The parochial in Roncesvelles. The parochial in Carrion. The Association albergue in Astoria. Worked just fine.

We are going to walk in mid-November, which is the only time we can go. Do any of the luggage transport companies operate in November?

I can also vouch for Caminofacil, have used several times, no glitches as at all. We prepaid, which made it very simple. We did not make any changes, so can’t speak to that, but they also do prearranged taxis. They are taking us from Porto to Ocebriero next week, for a group it was a pretty good deal.

I’m a CaminoFacil fan as well. We pre-booked/pre-paid our trek before leaving. They’re easy to contact via WhatsApp along The Way and have cab dispatch for their clients which is a great service if/when you need it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not a fan of sending bag ahead because:

I'm on a pilgrimage and expect there to be a degree of physical discomfort until body adapts, you build core strength and you realise that anything is possible.

After weeks carrying my pack I feel stronger, the pack and it's contents conform to my body shape and I become connected with it, I even name it Terry and develop an attachment in some ways like my trusty Merrell shoes and Tilley hat

When walking with others who are carrying their bags there's a sense of comradeship and it's interesting to observe the different pack sizes and memrobilia and patches that adorn the exterior including the curious object's that hang from it.

Carrying a pack permits the opportunity to dry out clothes attached to the exterior

Carrying a pack can be used as a prop to sit on or rest head against when stopping for rest.

Carrying all your possessions gives you a sense of achievement, independence and self sufficiency.

I save on the cost of paying for the service which means more cafe con leche and pay it forward.

If I meet someone else or get a warm fuzzy feeling about a place I stop at en-route I can park up for the night and be in the moment.

If I'm exhausted or pick up a potential injury en-route I listen to my body and rest up until confident to continue walk.

I don't have to worry about my bag getting lost or damaged in transit.

I walked with others who forward their bags only to find at the end of a long days hike the bag wasn't left off were it was expected creating unnecessary stress, anxiety and labour intensive search around all Albergue, bars, and possible buildings that was left at. Not to mention phonecalls and emails as a result.

Carrying all you need with you means you can adapt your layer's or clothing to changing environments.

Carrying all you need means that if there is occasion that Albergue is overbooked and it's late in the day it's easier to improvise and prepare to sleep under the stars or in alternative shelters.

Carrying all you need means there is opportunity to give away item's to others more in need.

Carrying all you need means that should the opportunity to pickup something along the way there's room in the pack to accommodate for provisions etc.

I'm open to the lesson that you carry or end up carrying what you need not want you want.

I can achieve a state of flow when my body, mind, feet, back, pack, shoes and the trail and connection with nature become one, my basic needs are taken care of and my thoughts can focus on nothing but being in the moment and feeling free.

The only pack I leave behind every morning is the emotional pack I take with me and no one would want to carry that and I couldn't afford to pay for it.

I understand that others do it there way and I respect that but just some alternative reason's why I personally do it my way 🤠

Last edited:
No, you do not send to the Municipals directly...unless they allow delivery in special circumstances.

Some send the backpack to an alternate location, such as a bar, not far from the municipal site, then they pick up the bag and go to the municipal location. You could contact Correos and ask them where to send the bag near the municipal.

If the municipal or parochial does not accept delivery of backpacks and luggage that are sent ahead, you might want to think about looking for other accommodation or the possibility of carrying a pack.

The Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago set out a number of rules for the pilgrim with regards to the municipals and they state that they were intended for the exclusive use of pilgrims in the traditional style ( on foot, horseback or bicycle ), carrying a pilgrim’s credential and that they are destined for individual pilgrims who have carried their luggage. I’ve heard other interpretations of the rules that say that only applies to organizedgroups.

It doesn’t seem to be the hard and fast rule that it used to be. I’ve seen people turned away when it was obvious they used a transport service. I have also been in alberques that wouldn’t check luggage service people in before a set time, much like some alberques treat cyclists. The worst case scenario in my mind are the folks who use a luggage service, then act as if they know they are breaking the rules so they have to sneak in.

Here is just my experience from my camino:

One italian pilgrim was sending her backpack to the next albergue she booked before. The backpack was just lying there under a table as if someone has forgot it there. She grabbed it, but anyone else could have grabbed it all day. Its just like having your backpack in the hallway. Most (private) hostels have an extra room, where the stored backpacks are though, but some just have it in the hallway. Just be aware of it.

The municipial in Burgos was accepting people with luggage transferred with no problems. There were a bunch of australians who came with like 3-4 big travelling suitcases. They couldnt even carry it on their own and needed help to get it to their bed. They had a luggage transport for all the way for the camino planned.

The municipial albergue Peregrinos siervas de maria in astorga was accepting backpacks with no problems also from spanish people, who then checked-in.

They were really helpful, when i wanted to use the service for cruz de ferro. The volunteers had everything prepared, just put your money in an envelope (4€ for 25km/8€ for up to 50km) with the address and put it in the corner. I was using correos, but they had envelopes for like 5 different services and the volunteer told me, they come in every morning for backpacks, so he didnt need to call them. Correos was like 100m away from the albergue.

It probably gets more popular during the camino because of word of mouth and people look envious at people carrying just their water and food instead of a big backpack.
Overall the services are really reliable. I havent heard a negative review of a single pilgrim of not receiving their backpack.

Between Sarria and SdC i was seeing lots of people using luggage transports. You can see in the morning the backpacks who all had an envelope attached to it.

This photo i took somewhere after Arzua.

image2.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I havent heard a negative review of a single pilgrim of not receiving their backpack.

No negative reviews but did have 2 failed pickups. Slight disruption in that you have a rest day when it happens. Or in the second case, you just had to travel in day old clothes waiting for the rucksack to catch up.(apologies to those that had to suffer that day) Second camino, I reduced the load and just carried it.

It depends on whether you want the certainty of being able to complete a section against the certainty of having clean clothes.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
No negative reviews but did have 2 failed pickups. Slight disruption in that you have a rest day when it happens.
Masterly understatement I think. I would be very annoyed indeed if I found myself halted for an unplanned and unwanted "rest day" by a failed collection or delivery. I do not enjoy "rest days" much even when I choose my own time and place for them. One more reason for me to continue to carry my pack.

Last edited:
We used Jacotrans during our 2017 camino and sent my wife's backpack ahead every day. Never had a problem. We had advance albergue reservations for all but a few days. We completed the envelope, called Jacotrans to confirm the town and albergue we were staying at.

For our third camino which begins next week, we have firm reservations every night. (Not the preference for some of you, but it works for us.) I looked into making advance backpack transport for my wife with Jacotrans. It was very easy. I sent an email with the dates, destination and albergue. They sent a confirmation back to me and cost. Since we are using them the entire way, they gave us a 25% discount, which was great.

With their confirmation they sent a "reservation number" with my name. So we do not need to print out 35+ individual tags. They have our walking itinerary. We generated one tag, laminated that and will just attach that to my wife's bag and leave it in the entry lobby each morning. We've paid in advance so won't need to hassle with phone calls, completing the envelopes, and finding change each day. Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Because I like a private room/bathroom, I always book lodging ahead, so there is absolutely no down-side for me to prearrange my luggage transfer. I use Pilbeo.com. I chose Pilbeo because their website was super easy to navigate and they were very responsive. I walked from Pamplona to Leon last spring and will walk from Leon to Santiago and then on to Finisterre this spring. Just go to the Pilbeo website and enter each nights destination/lodging. A list is then created that you print out (I put the list in a clear Ziploc) and attach to your suitcase. Each morning you take your bag downstairs where all the other bags are and it is picked up and driven to your next stop. I also downloaded the App and each day I would get a notification that my bag was picked up and then another that my bag was dropped off (can't lie, a couple of days I wished I were the suitcase 😂) .
There was never a glitch (though I did add an AirTag to my suitcase just in case).
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back