• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage transport (on Camino Portugues)

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
Since 2015 I walked different caminos, always carrying my backpack. The idea that I carry all that I need on my own back still attracts me. Last year I got kneeproblems and had to quit the Via Sanabres. Allthough at the moment my knee is not a big problem, I feel that it is still a weak point. That does not keep me from starting a new Camino. To minimize the risk I will walk shorter distances and am considering transport of my backpack. The Camino Portugues, from Porto, offers these possibilities.
I contacted some companies who offer luggage transfer. Tuitrans said that I should gicve them the planning for the whole route and that they only serve private accomodations; Caminofacil did not react yet; Pilbeo starts their service after I start my Camino.
I have some questions for people who used luggage transfer and stayed in alberguestyle accomodations.
- Understandable some albergues are not keen on this service, not only because it is against the idea that a "pllgrim" should carry his own stuff, but also because of logistic reasons. You can not expext that there will be someone to wait for your backpack to be picked up or delivered. Did you meet this problem and how did the company solve this? Was there another pickup/dropoff point, was it near the albergue and how did the company communicate this? I read somewhere in this forum that people had to search for their backpack after arriving at the albergue..
- Was it easy to change your plans or use the service on a "day-to-day" basis? How was the communication with the company?
- Which company did you use?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Antonius. We have used luggage transport companies a couple times on the CP. A few years ago, due to knee problems, we transported my wife’s pack daily from Tui to SdC via Tuitrans. This past spring we used Top Santiago out of Porto. We always stay in small hotels/hostels or in private albergues. On neither Camino did we have any difficulty arranging for bag transfers. With both companies, we simply contacted them the night before either by email or by using What’sApp with pick-up and drop-off information. As one does, our bag(s) were left usually at the front desk by 8 am and were delivered to our next hostel/albergue before we arrived. Our bags were always delivered to where we were staying. Typically, there would be a few other bags as well, but no looking around for them. Both services that we used worked efficiently and professionally. Bom Caminho!

Normally there is a "list" of the pickup and dropoff points in each community and you will have to have your bag to the drop off by 8 a.m. If you are staying in an albergue that does not accept bags, you will need to keep that in mind and leave in time to drop off your bag. Also keep in mind that some albergues do not accept pilgrims who are shipping their bags even if they are dropped off at another location.

At one albergue where we served, an Asian pilgrim arrived on a very hot day looking for her bag. We explained that we did not accept shipped bags, but offered her a cool drink and let her use our phone to call and try to locate her bag. She set off again only to return a short while later accompanied by someone who thought she was overheated. Again we got her a drink and had her rest and cool off as best she could in the non-AC albergue and then my husband walked her down to the other albergue to make sure she was OK. She was overjoyed to find her bag and some pilgrims that she knew and decided to stay there with them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Antonius, Like you I carried my bag for years and did not book accommodation. then one year I had my grandchild with me, and did not want to be looking for an albergue with a child who might get anxious so I booked. Well the difference!! no longer having to race ahead all the time with stres sto try to get a bed So I started to book ahead and in the fulness of time to also have my rucksack transported. With these two adjustments I still continue to walk the Camino
I have found Tuitrans most efficient and a pleasure to work with.
Buen Camino

Hi Antonius, Like you I carried my bag for years and did not book accommodation. then one year I had my grandchild with me, and did not want to be looking for an albergue with a child who might get anxious so I booked. Well the difference!! no longer having to race ahead all the time with stres sto try to get a bed So I started to book ahead and in the fulness of time to also have my rucksack transported. With these two adjustments I still continue to walk the Camino
I have found Tuitrans most efficient and a pleasure to work with.
Buen Camino
Hello!!! I’m happy to find your post. I am traveling with my 8yo and myself at not in the best physical condition so I was thinking of sending my pack ahead. We plan on staying in private rooms (because I’m a nervous nelly and a very light sleeper) and I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about the logistics. I was thinking of planning all my stays ahead, but the beginning of our trip will be a bit different. We will bumble around Porto and go to the zoo and do a few things before we start our shorter stage Portuguese coastal Camino. We also plan on the spiritual variant. Would Truitans work for something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Lauren, you can contact Tuitrans at info@tuitrans.com. also at 0034 55 52 53. I have found them most helpful. Buen Camino, Lydia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello!!! I’m happy to find your post. I am traveling with my 8yo and myself at not in the best physical condition so I was thinking of sending my pack ahead. We plan on staying in private rooms (because I’m a nervous nelly and a very light sleeper) and I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about the logistics. I was thinking of planning all my stays ahead, but the beginning of our trip will be a bit different. We will bumble around Porto and go to the zoo and do a few things before we start our shorter stage Portuguese coastal Camino. We also plan on the spiritual variant. Would Truitans work for something like that?

Thanks in advance!
Lydia
I walked the French Way from Pamplona to Santiago in March Aril 2022. It was a great experience and hence, I am walking the Portuguese Camino from Porto to Santiago in April 2024.

On the French Way I met a young mother two two kids maybe 8 and younger. I have nothing but respect for her.

Baggage transfer on the French Route is very organised and each hostel / some auberges has envelopes for the various transfer companies. You simply wrote the name address of the destination for the next day and put 4 to 5 Euro as required in to the envelope and your bag / suitcase got to the next stop. I never heard of a failure.

The French Route can be rugged and I would not recommend that route in its entirety if you have a 8 year old. The Portuguese Way from Porto has many more options for short hops each day.

I did the French Way initially staying in auberges but after 10 days with some sleep deprivation I switched to private rooms in hostels. I believe to get the full Camino Experience / fellowship, the auberges are the way to go but the realities of noisy floors / beds and people wanting to leave at 5 am got in the way of a decent nights rest for me.

The Portuguese Route does not appear as well set up but apparently Tuitrans provides the service. I am sure there are others too. There does not appear to be a cost factor indicated anywhere.

I request veterans to respond and share.

I pray that you have a great Camino leaving you with a desire to do more.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back