• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona to SJPdP

nandogdc

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are travelling to Madrid to then travel to SJPDP. The plan is to take the train to Pamplona that leaves from Madrid at 7:30 and gets to Pamplona at 10:30 then take a bus that leaves at 12 and gets to SJPDP at 1:45.

For some reason the price of the train goes up x 3 after the end of July, I a wondering that I am booking too far out and might need to wait until July as we are traveling on the 31st of August.

Could i ask if that is the best way or is there a better way?

Buen camino

Fernando

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are travelling to Madrid to then travel to SJPDP. The plan is to take the train to Pamplona that leaves from Madrid at 7:30 and gets to Pamplona at 10:30 then take a bus that leaves at 12 and gets to SJPDP at 1:45.

For some reason the price of the train goes up x 3 after the end of July, I a wondering that I am booking too far out and might need to wait until July as we are traveling on the 31st of August.

Buen camino

Fernando
No best way. It all depends on your schedule and desires to stay overnight in Madrid/Pamplona/SJPP, etc. I have done bus directly from airport to Pamplona (ALSA) currently about 23E per person and beware the Rome2Rio 6 hour bus; ALSA is a faster one. I have done bus from airport to Madrid, stayed over and then taken the train to Pamplona (quicker than bus). I usually get a connection flight from Madrid to Pamplona as part of my frequent flyer ticket, but my connection lands in Pamplona after the noon bus leaves for SJPP. Used to be more buses to SJPP. Try to share a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP. In the good old days, one could take a 1 hour connection flight to Biarritz, then a couple hours by bus and train to SJPP. You may be able to route your full airline ticket to land in Biarritz and still get to SJPP to start your Camino the same day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I did what you are suggesting in 2019 and it worked well for me.

Spanish rail prices change depending on expected demand and how long a period before you travel.

I bought a tourist ticket which was much cheaper but only seemed to be available some weeks prior to travel.

Depending on your age it is also possible to get a senior discount but this can be awkward if you are buying your ticket before you get to Spain.

I don't know if this option is good or the best but it worked. That is my usual measure of things.

Buen camino

Fernando
To me, by the time you get either a taxi or the Circanius to Atocha station and board the train, you could have just walked out of the terminal at Madrid, walked onto a bus, and you'd be on your way to Pamplona. The buses are run by ALSA and JImenez and are beautiful Mercedes buses. The trip is lovely.

I did what you are suggesting in 2019 and it worked well for me.

Spanish rail prices change depending on expected demand and how long a period before you travel.

I bought a tourist ticket which was much cheaper but only seemed to be available some weeks prior to travel.

Depending on your age it is also possible to get a senior discount but this can be awkward if you are buying your ticket before you get to Spain.

I don't know if this option is good or the best but it worked. That is my usual measure of things.
Thanks, to recall "Spanish rail prices change depending on expected demand and how long a period before you travel." Do you think that booking now for the training would be too soon? The buses are smaller so I will book the ALSA bus to JSPDP but the train I am thinking to hold for a few months perhaps the cost will come down as in June the cost is 25E but in July the Cost is 94E its crazy!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, to recall "Spanish rail prices change depending on expected demand and how long a period before you travel." Do you think that booking now for the training would be too soon? The buses are smaller so I will book the ALSA bus to JSPDP but the train I am thinking to hold for a few months perhaps the cost will come down as in June the cost is 25E but in July the Cost is 94E its crazy!!
It is probably higher in July because lots of locals, especially children will start their holidays then. I doubt that it will get cheaper if you wait, it will probably get more expensive. The cheaper price in June probably reflects less demand in June.

Have you looked at the type of ticket?

I found that a tourist class ticket was cheaper for me and these were only available early on. The closer to the journey it got, tourist tickets disappeared.

Sorry, I don't know the exact time period, perhaps a month or so.

So, to be clear, you can only buy the cheaper class of ticket if you buy it X days before the journey. Where X is probably 30+ days.

Check the RENFE website.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back