• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Pamplona

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin Le Puy 2023
Hi All,

I seek the wisdom of the forum experts on travel logistics. 🙂 I have gathered as much info as I can, but hope someone can confirm my understanding of how to get from Madrid to Pamplona, with an overnight stay at Madrid Airport.

As far as I have been able to work out, I can do the following:

1. Arrive Madrid airport (I arrive at T4)
2. Overnight in an airport hotel (Barajas)
3. In the morning, I can take the #8 metro from Barajas back to Madrid Airport T4, and then catch either the bus or train to Atocha station to go to Pamplona.

For background, I am travelling from Australia and arriving late at night. It is my first time in Madrid and my first camino. Grateful any advice as to whether I have understood the transport options correctly. 🙂

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is an 8:00 am flight on Iberia from MAD to Pamplona, arriving at 9:00 am--just looked at it online, fares as low as $29 mid-May.

Alternatively, assuming one is going to SJPDP. There are daily flights from MAD to San Sebastian airport with an easy train connection to Bayonne and on to SJPDP.

I will piggyback on this post since the original question was part of my question as well. If my flight arrives in Madrid at 5:40 am, can I realistically make a connecting flight to Pamplona at 8 am? I will not be checking my backpack. Or should I take the train from Madrid to Pamplona leaves at 10 am instead?

The 8:00 am flight would get you to Pamplona in time for the noon bus to SJPDP. The train or bus from MAD arrives later in the afternoon. Iberia flights leave from T1. Without checked bags to pick up on arrival , you should be able to easily make the 8:00. I flew by way of Paris last year, and it was a mess. This year, I'm flying from MAD to San Sebastian airport and then a train to Bayonne, and overnighting there simply because I like Bayonne, and then the train from Bayonne to SJPDP. Maybe I got it from The Movie, but for me there's something special about stepping off that train in SJPDP.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola there are a number of "Media Distance" trains from Atocha to Pamplona. I think the one I took in 2015 departed around 10.00 am. I seem to recall that there were also buses which I think are included above. Whilst most aircraft flights arrive fairly close to their published arrival times you do not want to be on the one that is delayed and thus you miss your 8.00 am connecting flight. Hope this helps. Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is an 8:00 am flight on Iberia from MAD to Pamplona, arriving at 9:00 am--just looked at it online, fares as low as $29 mid-May.

Alternatively, assuming one is going to SJPDP. There are daily flights from MAD to San Sebastian airport with an easy train connection to Bayonne and on to SJPDP.
Thanks Bob. 🙂 Great info! That is really helpful and I will give this option some thought. I like travelling by train in Europe, but this option would certainly save some time. I'm starting walking from Pamplona in April.

If you’re going to overnight in Madrid (as is my preference); you’ll have a wider choice and lower price points within ten minutes walk of Atocha station. You can take the big yellow aerobús every 15 minutes from the airport direct to Atocha.

If you’re going to overnight in Madrid (as is my preference); you’ll have a wider choice and lower price points within ten minutes walk of Atocha station. You can take the big yellow aerobús every 15 minutes from the airport direct to Atocha.
It isn't always yellow any more. Now green sometimes but still says Express Aeropuerto on it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will piggyback on this post since the original question was part of my question as well. If my flight arrives in Madrid at 5:40 am, can I realistically make a connecting flight to Pamplona at 8 am? I will not be checking my backpack. Or should I take the train from Madrid to Pamplona leaves at 10 am instead?
It once took me three hours to get a checked bag from Iberia at MAD. If you’re not checking anything you can probably make it. At that hour of the morning clearing into Spain doesn’t take more than 30-40 minutes. If you check a bag…..???

Be careful of flying: my friend had her poles confiscated when flying within Spain (not allowed unless checked). Also, I have had my flight to Pamplona canceled because there weren't enough passengers, and I was rebooked on the next flight (6 hours later). I could have taken a bus or train and beat the time that plane landed in Pamplona. I have had great success with the bus, but this time I want to try to take the train.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I arrived in Madrid from the US at about 6:30 am. I booked a train from Atocha to Pamplona around 1030 to give myself time to get through arrivals and get to Atocha. Realistically I could have taken an earlier train since it didn't take too long to get through customs and get to Atocha.
I slept on the train to Pamplona. I spent the night in Pamplona and took the bus to SJPP the next day.
Buen Camino!

If you take the train departing Madrid at 10:00am for Pamplona, be aware that you will not be able to reach SJPdP via bus on the same day. The only train leaving Madrid to reach Pamplona in time to make it to one and only bus service for the day (departs 12 noon), leaves Atocha at 7:35am.

Any recommendations for plasces to stay in Madrid?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It isn't always yellow any more. Now green sometimes but still says Express Aeropuerto on it.
Henry and J Willhaus, in all these years I've been flying into Madrid, I never knew about this bus!
Do I need to go to the "new bus station" to catch it or is it right outside the terminal? I actually need to get to Sol, not Atocha, and was going to nab the Cercanius. I wonder if it continues there?

Airport express picks up outside each terminal in the same places that the parking lot and interterminal buses do. Also near the hotel bus pickup points.

Henry and J Willhaus, in all these years I've been flying into Madrid, I never knew about this bus!
Do I need to go to the "new bus station" to catch it or is it right outside the terminal? I actually need to get to Sol, not Atocha, and was going to nab the Cercanius. I wonder if it continues there?
You can get off at the Cibeles stop and walk up the street. We stayed at an AirBNB on the Gran Via and used the express bus to the airport. It stops in front of the big Correos building at Cibeles. Sol was not too far.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.