• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Manjarin: Tomás Martinez de Paz, the last templar

Ianinam

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013 / CP 2018
Everybody who has walked the Camino Francés knows the albergue in Manjarin. An albergue for six pilgrims, without water and electricity, but full of hospitality.
Tomás Martinez de Paz started this albergue in 1993 in an old, abandoned school in Manjarin.
Recently the roof has collapsed, in 2024 an attempt will be made to restore the roof.
Tomás himself has had an open heart surgery and is not allowed anymore to climb the 1500 metres to his albergue.

In honour of him, the Dutch Confraternity of Saint James will publish an article about Tomás and his albergue in the next quarterly magazine for their members. Does anybody have a good photograph in good quality (at least 2 MB) of Tomás himself? we have lots of photographs of the direction post in front of the albergue indicating the way to Jerusalem, Santiago and Rome, but not a real good photo of Tomás himself, preferable dressed in his white tunic with a red cross on it.

If you have a good photograph, please send me a pm, so I can give you my e-mailaddress.
Keep my fingers crossed, many thanks in advance!

If anybody is interested in the full story, I can write it here (translated in English) after the 'Jacobsstaf' (the name of the magazine) is printed and sent to our members by the end of June.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you Annie, I have seen it and I really appreciate it! But I am afraid this photo unfortunately does not meet the requirements for printing (2 MB). So we'll keep on looking....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Annie, I have seen it and I really appreciate it! But I am afraid this photo unfortunately does not meet the requirements for printing (2 MB). So we'll keep on looking....
I’m not a techie so I’m not sure what you mean by too small but I am working off my phone and probably have a larger copy on my computer at home. I can try sending it as a larger photo and see if that helps as well. Sorry if it doesn’t work out. It was such a nice experience.

In case anyone would like to see it. I thought it was a great photo of him and it was such a great night. I had stayed there back in 2006 and a young man showed up at dinner time in raggedy clothes and barefoot and was not speaking at all. Several of us, me included, were put off by the young man, but Tomas immediately recognize that he was walking a pilgrimage in silence. I learned a big lesson as I watched him gently take the man’s pack off of his back and see him at our table, as though he were Christ himself. It brings tears to my eyes now as I remember.

I also remember how he changed my viewpoint. When we first arrived and went up the stairs, there were mattresses on the floor of the attic. There was no running water, no water and no facilities except for a hole in the ground with a little shed around it but it remains one of my favorite nights on the Camino, Santiago, and all the years I’ve been walking I have other photos of that first night if anyone is interested.

Tonight I am in Los Arcos and I am sick. 🤒
This memory made me feel feel better 🥰

Attachments

• IMG_5739.jpeg
    IMG_5739.jpeg
    913 KB · Views: 148
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everybody who has walked the Camino Francés knows the albergue in Manjarin. An albergue for six pilgrims, without water and electricity, but full of hospitality.
Tomás Martinez de Paz started this albergue in 1993 in an old, abandoned school in Manjarin.
Recently the roof has collapsed, in 2024 an attempt will be made to restore the roof.
Tomás himself has had an open heart surgery and is not allowed anymore to climb the 1500 metres to his albergue.

In honour of him, the Dutch Confraternity of Saint James will publish an article about Tomás and his albergue in the next quarterly magazine for their members. Does anybody have a good photograph in good quality (at least 2 MB) of Tomás himself? we have lots of photographs of the direction post in front of the albergue indicating the way to Jerusalem, Santiago and Rome, but not a real good photo of Tomás himself, preferable dressed in his white tunic with a red cross on it.

If you have a good photograph, please send me a pm, so I can give you my e-mailaddress.

If anybody is interested in the full story, I can write it here (translated in English) after the 'Jacobsstaf' (the name of the magazine) is printed and sent to our members by the end of
1715262981448.jpeg
I could probably email the quality you need if this one works and you message me

Hi!
I will attach one picture from June 2023!
I’d love to read the article as well, would you let us know here when it’s available?

Picture: Manjarin 2023

If anybody is interested in the full story, I can write it here (translated in English) after the 'Jacobsstaf' (the name of the magazine) is printed and sent to our members by the end of June.

@dadaperegrino, thank you very much!
I will publish the article - translated in English - in this thread as soon as our 'Jacobsstaf' is sent to the members of the Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob (Dutch Confraternity of Saint James). As you are from the Netherlands I suppose you can read Dutch; therefore I will also put a link to the PDF file on our website, where you can read the Jacobsstaf online. Or maybe you are a member? Then you will receive the Jacobsstaf anyway by post.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@ Susan Peacock, what a phantastic photo! Thank you. I will pm you my e-mailaddress,

Thanks!
I’m not a member, but I look forward to reading the article! Can I share it with a few friends as well?

@dadaperegrino, thank you very much!
I will publish the article - translated in English - in this thread as soon as our 'Jacobsstaf' is sent to the members of the Nederlands Genootschap van Sint Jacob (Dutch Confraternity of Saint James). As you are from the Netherlands I suppose you can read Dutch; therefore I will also put a link to the PDF file on our website, where you can read the Jacobsstaf online. Or maybe you are a member? Then you will receive the Jacobsstaf anyway by post.

Thanks so much for the update on Tomas.
Yes, please post the story when it's done, thanks!!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
He was up there in late 2022.

This "not allowed" stuff is an old story, and whilst it was true for a while, AFAIK it isn't any more.

He has shut down his donativo welcome mainly because there is a lovely young woman who has opened a business selling drinks and snacks in the village, and he quite rightly has no wish to ruin things for her.

Sad to hear about the roof collapsing, and I would guess that's more from having no more young volunteers to help him day to day.

Last edited:
In case anyone would like to see it. I thought it was a great photo of him and it was such a great night. I had stayed there back in 2006 and a young man showed up at dinner time in raggedy clothes and barefoot and was not speaking at all. Several of us, me included, were put off by the young man, but Tomas immediately recognize that he was walking a pilgrimage in silence. I learned a big lesson as I watched him gently take the man’s pack off of his back and see him at our table, as though he were Christ himself. It brings tears to my eyes now as I remember.

I also remember how he changed my viewpoint. When we first arrived and went up the stairs, there were mattresses on the floor of the attic. There was no running water, no water and no facilities except for a hole in the ground with a little shed around it but it remains one of my favorite nights on the Camino, Santiago, and all the years I’ve been walking I have other photos of that first night if anyone is interested.

There are some like this on Bing images

Attachments

• IMG_5330.jpeg
    IMG_5330.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 85
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Marian Patricia, I know, in fact: we already have this photo. But as we need it for printing, we need photo's of good quality, minimum 2 MB. Internet photo's are not good enough.

Thank you for this. I have often wondered what happened to Tomas. I met him in Manjarin on my first Camino in 2001. I probably have a photo, but only in print, so would need to digitize first.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hope u ate feeling better quickly. I'm in Rabanal with a bad cough after a dose if delhi belly but still trudging up and onwards. Bon camino Annie

Everyone seems have great experience with him and I must be that few odd ones who was told off by him big time in 2023.
I was there in Oct 2023 and got lost and tried to cross his property to get to the front road. I was told off and he forced me to go back to where I came from where was the lady selling drinks...

`sorry but after a day of walking one needs water bath.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
`sorry but after a day of walking one needs water bath.
After a day of walking, all one really needs is a belly full of food and a bed.. everything else is a bonus.

Clumping your way across Spain in stinking boots and ignoring personal hygiene is one thing, going a single day without home comforts and a hot shower, really isn't the end of the world..

A nice photo of him towards the end of my blog entry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everyone seems have great experience with him
Last time I came across him was, well ...

He was walking one of his half-wolves, I said hallo to the "dog", it came up to me and started licking my hand, looking super happy.

I've never seen Tomás looking more shocked !!

Last time I came across him was, well ...

He was walking one of his half-wolves, I said hallo to the "dog", it came up to me and started licking my hand, looking super happy.

I've never seen Tomás looking more shocked !!
Do you think the dog remembered you from a previous time? He must see thousands of people pass every year, never to return.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you @Rebekah Scott but we have good photo's now,, thanks to this wonderful forum and its very helpful members!
The text and photo's have to be submitted to the designer soon ...

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back