• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May the same credential be used over a two-year period?

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
I suppose this question could fit other threads, but since I’ll be on the Portugues and can’t find any other place to ask this, I’ll post it here.

Last year I walked the coastal Portugues as far as Vigo. It’s my intention to return this year and complete the walk to Santiago. As I understand it, Vigo is just shy of the 100km mark. One option would be to go some place further south (Baiona or Nigran, for instance) and retrace some of my steps to ensure I cover the 100km. (I can certainly think of worse things :)

But I’m wondering…in the interest of time, if I were to resume my walk starting in Vigo this year, and used my credentials from last year, would this still be considered acceptable for a compostela?

Thanks, all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can use the same credential, but I am not sure if you would qualify for a compostela if your last leg is less than 100km. I thought that to qualify for the compostela the last 100km had to be completed in one go.

Davey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I thought that to qualify for the compostela the last 100km had to be completed in one go.
No, that is not the case. Here is a quote from the Pilgrim office website with specific instructions you should follow:

"You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage)."

No, that is not the case. Here is a quote from the Pilgrim office website with specific instructions you should follow:

"You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage)."

Ah! Thats good to know thanks, didn't know that! So LorneB above should be ok then.

Cheers
Davey

Good to know thanks. Had to stop 46km short last year at Boente due to injury after starting from SJPdP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But I’m wondering…in the interest of time, if I were to resume my walk starting in Vigo this year, and used my credentials from last year, would this still be considered acceptable for a compostela?

Yes.

Great thanks all, was just about to post the same question and saw this thread! :) will be nice to use the same one from last year, looking forward to having a lovely passport with lots of stamps.. Having seen some people’s last year they look like lovely works of art to me! :)

Hi, being a great believer in Plan B, if I was re-using the same credencial (I often do), and had re-started less than 100kms from Santiago, I would print out that page from the Pilgrim Office website beforehand. If the volunteer at the counter refused me the compostela (because I had walked less than 100kms on this particular journey), I could produce the printout, showing it is “legal”, and, if necessary, request to speak to his/her supervisor for a more authoritative opinion.

However, by my calculations, Vigo is 102.8kms from Santiago. (Vigo to Redondela 15.7, to Pontevedra 20.2, to Caldas de Reis 22.2, to Padrón 19.1, to Santiago 25.6kms.)
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, being a great believer in Plan B, if I was re-using the same credencial (I often do), and had re-started less than 100kms from Santiago, I would print out that page from the Pilgrim Office website beforehand. If the volunteer at the counter refused me the compostela (because I had walked less than 100kms on this particular journey), I could produce the printout, showing it is “legal”, and, if necessary, request to speak to his/her supervisor for a more authoritative opinion.

However, by my calculations, Vigo is 102.8kms from Santiago. (Vigo to Redondela 15.7, to Pontevedra 20.2, to Caldas de Reis 22.2, to Padrón 19.1, to Santiago 25.6kms.)
Jill
There are guides where the distance from Vigo is 99km.
Witch one is the correct distance according to the Pilgrims Office .

Wish you well , Peter .

Definitely safest to go with what the Pilgrim Office says, rather than Mr Brierley!
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I suppose this question could fit other threads, but since I’ll be on the Portugues and can’t find any other place to ask this, I’ll post it here.

Last year I walked the coastal Portugues as far as Vigo. It’s my intention to return this year and complete the walk to Santiago. As I understand it, Vigo is just shy of the 100km mark. One option would be to go some place further south (Baiona or Nigran, for instance) and retrace some of my steps to ensure I cover the 100km. (I can certainly think of worse things :)

Thanks, all.
It worked for me, I used the same credential in two different years, both were Camino Frances.

I have used the same credential for different caminos until it was filled up then got a new one. I think it only matters if you are going to get the certificate. Not certain that it matters to them either since there are pilgrims that do the camino over several years.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back