• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting people beforehand

scorpio rising

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de santiago (2015)
Hi all,

I'm planing on doing the Camino Frances in a couple of months and I've heard that everybody makes friends on the way etc. and that's really great but I wouldn't mind starting and finishing with another person/people (sharing the experience and all that). Does anybody know of any means to organise things like this, such as ways to plan the trip with people, beforehand? Thanks a lot!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I posted under the section North America, if anyone was from or near Philadelphia PA and planning on walking. This provided a wonderful way to meet through private email, other people preparing for their first walk. I did not walk with anyone, but it did create a bond for getting ready and sharing nervousness, excitement etc. I also (on both Caminos) met up for meals on the way with them, and I am still friends with and see at home.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I met Erica from SA on the forum by just saying when I was flying from Stansted and that I was going to SJPdP in the Express Burricot taxi. She was on the same flight, we sat together on that and the taxi. We didn't stay in the same albergue though. I saw her on and of until Belgrado, then again in Burgos. She had a lot of foot problems but she's a gutsy girl and made to SDC. So we didn't start or finish together, but it certainly would have been simple to have arranged to walk together the first day if we had wanted to.

Just open a new thread in the forum with a descriptive title like: Who else from (your town/area) is walking the Camino in (Month/Year)? And then tell people a bit more about yourself. Alternatively there is a thread called "Class of 2015" here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/class-of-2015.17956/ where you can look up other pilgrims travel plans. Buen Camino! SY

You will meet a lot of people on the Camino. No point in locking yourself into a walking relationship beforehand. Too many variables (likes and dislikes, tastes in food and accommodations, walking speed and pace, etc), especially with someone that you don't know that well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first night in St. Jean, I went out to dinner with other guys. In my head I thought, "So, these will be the people I walk to Santiago with." I was separated from them the first day and never saw them again.

I met a group of people in Valcarlos and thought, "Oh, so THESE are the people I'll walk to Santiago with." There were six of us in that group. Two days later, only two of us remained, but we picked up 2 others. We added another one to our group on Alto de Pardon. "Okay, so now we have it, our Camino family." But just 2 more days later, it was only myself and the person we picked up at de Pardon. And I was with her for a few more days until we parted at Santo Domingo. I spent the next two and a half weeks pretty much on my own, and figured I'd be walking into Santiago by myself. Sure, I would see more or less the same people at the albergues at night, but I was no longer walking "with" anyone.

By this time I was thinking, "Okay, looks like I'm going at this alone." But upon reaching Portomarin and for the rest of the week, I met more people and was once again lucky enough to be adopted into a Camino family. And I did not walk into Santiago alone like I had thought I would.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as much as you can try to plan to walk with someone, sometimes things come up. They have a different schedule than you. They can take more time or they need to hurry. Maybe they just walk at a different pace or maybe they are just walking a section of the Camino. People will come into your pilgrimage and sometimes they leave. Be prepared for that and be grateful for the time you have with them!

I'm planning on walking the camino in June 2015. We can meet beforehand if you want? I'm going from sj France.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm planning on walking the camino in June 2015. We can meet beforehand if you want? I'm going from sj France.
Add your departure information to the Calendar, and refer back to the Calendar to see the other Forum members who will be going at the same time. Buen camino.

Thanks for the advice everyone! On reflection it will probably be better to go with the flow, it's not as if I'm going to be the only one doing the walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Im planning to go in June. Haven't booked flights yet. Still trying to work out where i want to start from. I would still like to meet someone or a group just for that initial first night/walk. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all.
My experience tells me:
You don´t have expectations
Begins the Camino solo and don´t worry, the Camino is magic.
You will meet many friends along it. You can be sure

Im planning to go in June. Haven't booked flights yet. Still trying to work out where i want to start from. I would still like to meet someone or a group just for that initial first night/walk. :)
Believe me, you will meet plenty of people those initial days. No need to pre-plan it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We didn't stay in the same albergue though. I saw her on and of until Belgrado, then again in Burgos. .

Belgrado? That must have been a very VERY long day. You were maybe feeling very optimistic that day? ;) :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back