• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merino vs. Cashmere

Janade

Time of past OR future Camino
In trying to keep costs down, I'm trying to buy the majority of my clothing for the Camino at thrift shops. I happened to come across a great cashmere sweater the other day that is lightweight and super soft and it looks like it would be perfect for layering. I just wondered what the difference was between merino and cashmere and if one worked better than the other for warmth and wicking. Anyone know?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Merino is more durable and less labor-intensive, really good for camino-ing.
Cashmere is more high-maintenance, but it´s delicious. If I found what you are describing, I would buy the cashmere just to wear in my off-Camino life! Everyone should have a little cashmere in their life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In trying to keep costs down, I'm trying to buy the majority of my clothing for the Camino at thrift shops. I happened to come across a great cashmere sweater the other day that is lightweight and super soft and it looks like it would be perfect for layering. I just wondered what the difference was between merino and cashmere and if one worked better than the other for warmth and wicking. Anyone know?

Marino. Cashmere too fragile.

I have a pair of socks with cashmere -- they are beautiful and feel so good on my feet. Alas, the heels are worn through after a few months (I wore them max once a week).

My merino socks last me several years.

What a find! Probably far too lovely to wear on the camino, but merino also requires a certain amount of tlc - it’s easily snagged on zips, Velcro, briars etc., but it’s also easily mended. Merino is machine washable at low temperature, and some pilgrims claim it survives tumble drying, but I wouldn’t risk ruining mine. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Janade, you are a girl after my own heart as I love looking for Camino "stuff" at thrift stores, too!

Can't help you with your question though as I'm allergic to wool, but wanted you to know you have a likeminded sister in me! :)

@Janade, you are a girl after my own heart as I love looking for Camino "stuff" at thrift stores, too!

Can't help you with your question though as I'm allergic to wool, but wanted you to know you have a likeminded sister in me! :)
I usually cannot wear wool, either, yet I can wear merino. I haven't tried the underwear yet, but I would like to for my next Camino.

I found a merino sweater in Benetton. It was 35$ in December, but I see it's around 25$ now. I don't know if it's good for the Camino (haven't had a chance to try it). It says 100% virgin wool on the website, but the tag on the sweater says merino. That sounds like a pretty good price.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
walked in my old Merino sweater bought for 7euros in TkMax some years ago. It is ultra thin, light and soft to the skin. Waked in it, sometimes slept in it. It survived the hike, although it doesn't look the same after the walk but it's surved it's purpose. Would take it for the road again. Washed on a fast cycle in the washing machine, and it dried fast as well. Cashnere needs more care.

I've had good luck finding reasonably priced merino on Ebay. Don't forget to check out the men's shirts, too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everyone should have a little cashmere in their life.

While I totally agree with the sentiment here, it might explain a comment made by an inhabitant of Pontevedra who left Pontevedra. He said that the prices there became so expensive he had to leave and the Camino was only for rich people.

Something to think about - but I'd still have the cashmere.

Even if you're allergic to wool, you may be fine with cashmere. Different animals...

I found a merino sweater in Benetton. It was 35$ in December, but I see it's around 25$ now. I don't know if it's good for the Camino (haven't had a chance to try it). It says 100% virgin wool on the website, but the tag on the sweater says merino. That sounds like a pretty good price.

Waaahhh! The site says that the US can't order online until March 2018 (and while it's March, it still doesn't offer an option to purchase).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Waaahhh! The site says that the US can't order online until March 2018 (and while it's March, it still doesn't offer an option to purchase).
I think they might have sold everything and are working on more? The wool is from Italy and the factory is in Serbia. I live between those two countries and it's very hard to find my size now.

By the way, does anyone know of merino underwear that isn't very expensive?

I wore my Merino 1/4 zip on three caminos, the EPW, plus other trails/trips. It was perfect. I do not baby it at all.....handwash occasionally and on the line to dry. Period. Perfect.

I'm a huge Cashmere fan. And have worn cashmere in the backcountry on many over night hikes. I get all my cashmere second hand ($10 CAD) and love them. On my first camino I wore a fleece zip up as my warm layer, but my plan is to take cashmere for my next camino. It's much lighter, compacts better, and proves no problem when mixed with sweat, plus it feels awesome next to the skin and is super warm. Wash in room temp water with shampoo once in awhile and hang to dry.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Cashmere is nice - but merino is better for hiking. More durable, low maintenance. Easy to throw in the washer and even dryer. Most wool/cashmere you have to be careful with - but a quality merino wool holds up well. It's more expensive - but I find Icebreaker to have the most durable/long lasting merino wool - even when I don't treat it well with washing/drying. I used to go for cheaper hiking clothes - but learned I actually spend less when I buy Icebreaker for shirts/pullovers because I don't need to replace them very often. I don't worry as much about pants/shorts and get discount stuff on those areas when I can, but I used to go through a lot of worn out shirts/pullovers and now I don't.

For the merino that handles washing and drying, does it have to be pre-treated in any way? Anything I should be looking for on the tag? One of my sweaters didn't survive the camino 'don't touch the settings' washing machine.

As in Matthew 25 you are sorting the sheep from the goats.

I’m on team sheep. (Merino)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.