• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Michael Portillo serves pilgrim lunch

Trevhock

The gratis pilgrim lunch at the parador Hostal dos Reis Catolicos was awkwardly and uncomfortably served by Michael Portillo today. By the time filming had stopped, the normal convivial atmosphere in the dining room had changed, we all felt a bit used. First Simon Reeve sitting in a train saying 'this is the way to travel' and now Portillo and his railway jaunts, stumbling in. The pilgrim dining room is a sort of inner sanctum for me, one of the few places only pilgrims can meet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The gratis pilgrim lunch at the parador Hostal dos Reis Catolicos was awkwardly and uncomfortably served by Michael Portillo today. By the time filming had stopped, the normal convivial atmosphere in the dining room had changed, we all felt a bit used. First Simon Reeve sitting in a train saying 'this is the way to travel' and now Portillo and his railway jaunts, stumbling in. The pilgrim dining room is a sort of inner sanctum for me, one of the few places only pilgrims can meet.

Oh I enjoy his railway series I will have to look out for this episode, I can think of worse people to have lunch with I guess, he was my MP for many years and met him many many times and he was always a well informed and capable man and solved several of our issues locally, but I think I would have grumbled a bit if he talked through dessert as its the part of the meal which needs silence in order to appreciate the sugary goodness.

Who is Michael Portillo?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Michael Portillo used to be a Minister in a Conservative Government in the UK in the 80s/90s. He now appears on TV as a political commentator and as a broadcaster on great railway journeys. He is half British, half Spanish - I think.

He was for a while considered to be Maggie Thatcher's natural successor. I saw one of his train documentaries where he conversed with relations who had been on the republican side in the civil war.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Dumb as it might seem, it's only recently sunk in that a good deal of some camino routes might be on vehicular roads rather than walking trails. I don't really mean the town and village-y bit...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Im planning a November Frances Camino. I have an Altus rain coat that covers me and pack nicely but I’m wondering do I get a backpack cover and wear a hooded shell light jacket over heavier...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back