• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mint against bedbugs

P

Pabloke

I don't know if this has any scientific basis or it's just the "grandma's wisdom", but i've read and heard that smell of mint repels bedbugs.

My experience? The truth is that i've been using a cold effect gel made with menthol on my legs every night and i have had no bites, while others around do have been bitten.

Casuality? Maybe. I've been using this gel everytime i trek, no matter where, to reactivate the blood circulation and relax my tired legs while sleeping.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In fairness to the OP, the question is about "repelling" the bed bug, not killing. The usual focus in the threads is on permethrin for killing, but there's a lot of references to using tea tree oil as a repellent. In my admittedly limited research, I don't ever recall seeing any studies on effectiveness of repellents (whether "natural" or not).

I'm not attached to any particular answer, but would be curious to know if a credible scientific study has addressed this?

Also, on the slightly more masochistic side, here's an article about ongoing research into attractants as part of a trapping system . . . Scientist Has A Bedbug Breakthrough After Subjecting Herself To 180,000 Bites. Gave me the willies.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mint - another reason for carrying a tube of Polos on Camino :) - and we have never seen a bed-bug there.
Stinkweed keeps moths away so a piece of that might be good too. It tends to permeate the clothes and is often used with the addition of lavender.

In fairness to the OP, the question is about "repelling" the bed bug, not killing. The usual focus in the threads is on permethrin for killing, but there's a lot of references to using tea tree oil as a repellent. In my admittedly limited research, I don't ever recall seeing any studies on effectiveness of repellents (whether "natural" or not).

I'm not attached to any particular answer, but would be curious to know if a credible scientific study has addressed this?

Also, on the slightly more masochistic side, here's an article about ongoing research into attractants as part of a trapping system . . . Scientist Has A Bedbug Breakthrough After Subjecting Herself To 180,000 Bites. Gave me the willies.

Thanks Koilife.

Yes, i talk about repelling, not killing. By the moment i'm not concerned about bites but about carrying these aliens back home.

And, obviously, i was not asserting a thing about the mint performance; but mint, as any other substance either natural or synthetic, is chemical and can influence on the bug's behavior.

Or not.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If we are responsible for bedbugs travelling all along the Camino, do they qualify for a Compostela? :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know if this has any scientific basis or it's just the "grandma's wisdom", but i've read and heard that smell of mint repels bedbugs.

My experience? The truth is that i've been using a cold effect gel made with menthol on my legs every night and i have had no bites, while others around do have been bitten.

Casuality? Maybe. I've been using this gel everytime i trek, no matter where, to reactivate the blood circulation and relax my tired legs while sleeping.

I don't know why fun is being made of this legitimate inquiry. It is not impossible that Cold Effect Gel discourages bed bugs. Perhaps the menthol or camphor or cooling effect is not to the little critters taste. I say if it seems to work maybe you have hit on something.

They love peppermint but will settle for spearmint in a pinch.

I don't know why fun is being made of this legitimate inquiry. It is not impossible that Cold Effect Gel discourages bed bugs. Perhaps the menthol or camphor or cooling effect is not to the little critters taste. I say if it seems to work maybe you have hit on something.

Bah, don't worry about it.

When i write something i accept that some people may find my thoughts, or even my person, kind of ridiculous. And i accept their need to make me know it, aswell.

That's part of being human, nothing new.

Anyway, i don't feel offended, hurted or so. I'm pretty sure i would have a good time with them around a table of cold beers.

The topic: i'm using this gel for many years. I don't know if it works for repelling bugs but i've never seen a bite on my skin.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The quoted article says that the products failed to repel the bedbugs. So, they don't kill, and they don't repel.

Heat works, but how about the stories about houses going up in flames when heat treatment goes wrong? Apparently there have been a few. Bedbugs win.

I just spent the weekend in New York City, and it seemed that every third TV ad was for services to get rid of bed bugs! It isn't just the Camino!!!!

I just spent the weekend in New York City, and it seemed that every third TV ad was for services to get rid of bed bugs! It isn't just the Camino!!!!

Haha! Another reason to blame you Americans for something or rather ! You brought them in! :D:D;)

Please, no hate mail, IT WAS A JOKE :p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers
If you’re walking the Camino Portugues right now I’d recommend you avoid the complementario route into Pontevedra. While it is quiet and green and follows the river, it’s also a muddy mess. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.